Start by marking “The Lady of the Vineyard (Kees & Colliers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lady of the Vineyard  (Kees & Colliers, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Lady of the Vineyard

(Kees & Colliers #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  69 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Since her divorce, Adele Collier has pursued her own pleasure at the expense of her daughter. When her ex-husband suddenly reappears in their lives, Adele allows him to take Judy to France with him for the summer. The time apart leads her to realize her daughter is the light of her world, yet she's still not sure she's ready to give up her lifestyle.

Six year old Judy is mo
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 330 pages
Published June 1st 2019 by Reveries Co. (first published September 10th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady of the Vineyard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady of the Vineyard

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Lady of the Vineyard (Kees & Colliers, #1)
Kellyn Roth
Allow me to introduce you to The Lady of the Vineyard, the second novel in a Christian historical novel set in 1938 London and the French Riviera (can be read as a stand-alone!).

This story, from its fun, endearing characters to its important themes, is really dear to my heart.

TLOTV is available on Amazon Kindle and Paperback. You can read more about it on my website.

TTFN!

~Kellyn Roth
R.
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness I loved this book! The characters were amazingly done!
Judy is basically the most endearing, realistically painted 6 yr. old I’ve read about. I was enchanted ever since the bunny slippers.
Adele takes some getting used to but I ended up loving her too. You can sympathize with her immaturity while still disliking her.
Troy was basically the sweetest husband.
The true meaning of love, though not exactly a theme, was a very clear message.
The ending was a little sudden maybe a bit rough,
Libby May
:D

This was a sweet story. It was very fast paced and I think I had a hard time figuring what exactly was happening so suddenly, but I enjoyed it.
Oh, and I still don't know what era it's from.

Thank you Kellyn.
Hailey Rose
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm very late to review this, but here it is...

Is this cover not beautiful?!?! Seriously, it's just precious! Judy looks like Shirley Temple, and that alone will make me love a book... :)

This book was so sweet! I enjoyed the love Judy's daddy showed for her. Judy was a sweet little girl who I wanted to hug. Adele made me mad at times. The ending was sweet. This quick little read will leave you with all the feels!

Jesseca Wheaton
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of beta-reading this book and I really enjoyed it!! Judy was a very lovable child, Troy was someone you could really understand, and. . . I just have to say that her grandma is awesome! ;) The Vineyard in France was delightful to read about, and all the scenes were described so, so well! Literally, Kellyn knows how to write descriptions that make you feel as if you're standing there with the characters. Which makes the book all the more enjoyable!
There was one thing that bugg
Sarah Grace Grzy
My rating: 3.5 stars.

WARNING: May contain minor spoilers.

Story-wise, this book was pretty good. It seemed to go kinda quickly, but hey, it's a novella, you can only have so many words. ;) Judy was sweet, and very accurately portrayed. The way she acted and spoke was very characteristic of a 6 year old. Adele was a good character, in terms of depth. And Troy was sweet as well, and I liked his and Judy's relationship.

The main issue I found, was legally. If Adele and Troy are legally divorced (whi
R.J. Rodda
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet, lovely tale of a young girl called Judy who isn't loved by her divorced mother and has never met her father. Then one day her father re-enters her life and realises how foolish he has been to stay away.

This is a heart-warming novella about reconnecting broken family ties and leaves you feeling happy. There is some telling not showing here but overall I enjoyed reading this. I received a copy of this book in exchanged for my honest review.
R.A.
Oh I liked this!!

The Characters:
Judy - she was adorable and so sweet!!
Adele - a beautiful name! Thank goodness she understood her errors!
Troy - Aw! Loved him!! I love how he kept saying "I guess" in the last chapter!!
Henry - *tries not to gag* :D

The Story-line:
I did like it! Historical books are always nice!

Content:
One kiss from an unmarried couple. Talk about people being divorced.

All-in-all:
I really liked it!! I enjoyed it a lot more than this author's other series. Other than the fact this is
Faith
4.5 stars.

Such a whimsically beautiful and heartwarming story! If you're a lover of historical novellas or 1930s European settings, this is one you won't want to miss. :D

I read this book in an afternoon and I really enjoyed reading Judy and her parents' story. :) The characters were so great!

Judy was a sweet, precious child. I adored her and Troy's relationship (and their first meeting!).
Troy was a nice guy, probably my favorite character, and I loved the way he stood up to Adele.
Adele was
Loretta Marchize
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently signed up for Kellyn's blog tour (celebrating the release of her latest book, At Her FingertipsAt Her Fingertips) As an added bonus, I was invited to read this book! I had no idea that was coming but was very excited because I have wanted to read this one for a while now.
Overall I have to say I didn't think this book was quite as well written as Kellyn's other books, and the ending felt a bit rushed, but it was a very fun and easy read.
I love Judy (view spoiler)
Victoria Lynn
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
This book was cute, adorable and a sweet story. I would have enjoyed it more if I had been a lot younger, but I gave it 4 stars because I think girls from that age range would enjoy it. The characters were sweet and I loved Judy.
Aside from the fact that the story seemed to come to a close quickly, I think it was an enjoyable little volume. I would highly recommend it for 8-13 year olds.

The one thing that really bothered me was the formatting. It was really hard to read because the paragraphs w
Chloe (aka Crystal)
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10 and up
Previously published on Purely by Faith Reviews.

My Review::
I was really excited to read this book, and I'm sorry it took me a while to start it Kell :).
Even if you've seen my status updates or not, it would be obvious that I devoured this book in one sitting. I finished it in an hour and that was because I was easily drawn into this book. I came out with wanting to read more of the author's books. This is a book I'd want on my bookshelf: *adds to my buy-books-online-2018 goodreads shelf*

Onto t
J.C.
Enthralling, well designed, and elegantly presented, The Lady of the Vineyard was a short but sweet novella. It was an engaging yet fun read. The characters, from bitter and rebellious Adele to sweet and innocent Judy to mysterious Troy, were all uniquely patterned and cleverly developed.

I really liked the twists and turns and thought they were well done. (view spoiler)
Ejayen
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's books like this that make me think I should redo my rating system. I read the rerelease. I found it to be fine.
I was fairly certain it wasn't going to be a book I would love and I was proved right. This is a story of an adult woman finally growing up.
Brices Mice Christian Book Reviews
I have to say you needn't be a history buff to fall in love with The Lady of the Vineyard by Kellyn Roth. The author sets the time period with just enough description to let the reader ease into the story of a six year girl whose life consists of taking care of a mother who really doesn't even care about her own daughter. Adele has made it perfectly clear that Judy is a regret and a bothersome child that was a mistake from her past.

My heart broke for the emotionally drain child, missing her fat
Elsie Stoltzfus
What a delightful little story! It's nothing elaborate, short and very easy to read, but it's just a really sweet story. Little 6 year old Judy is so cute! And Troy is rather amusing. All in all I like this a lot, and am very glad that I read it.
Sarah Briel
I had the wonderful opportunity to beta-read this for the author and let me tell you, I'm so glad I did! I'm not sure I would have been able to hold out until September 10th, when it officially comes out.

I've now read both of her official books, this one and The Dressmaker's Secret, and although this is a novella and much shorter (which makes it much harder to develop the characters, make the plot not seem as rushed etc.) I have to say I think this is my new favorite of her books.

The characters
Emily
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short-and-sweet story! As most novellas are wont to be, it felt a bit rushed toward the end, but I've kind of come to expect that. What actually knocked it down a star for me was the way that Troy talked about Adele in front of Judy. That made me a little uncomfortable. Other than that, I really enjoyed the story! Judy was such a little sweetheart, and so much like many of the children that I see today in the classroom. Many kids these days are basically raising, or at least half-way raising the ...more
Angie Thompson
I'll be honest and admit right off the bat that I wasn't expecting to like this book nearly as much as I did. :) Divorce and selfish, neglectful parents are not generally my favorite topics for a story, but this little book really surprised me!

I thought Adele was a very understandable character, even when she wasn't very likeable, and the little things that she didn't always understand about herself gave me hope for her even when she was at her worst. Little Judy tugged at my heartstrings from t
Daisy Paquet
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th grade and up.
Recommended to Daisy by: Kellyn Roth
This book, by my NaNo friend Kell, is beautifully written. It is written in an elegant and flowing language, and her writing style is much the same as L.M. Montgomery- something I have tried long to achieve and have not.

I was a beta-reader, and I found very few faults. I believe most of my comments were more 'wow' then 'what'. Her characters come to life in this far-too-short story. Kell, write more. Right now. I demand it.

If you are considering reading this, then stop considering, because you j
Abigail Harris
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Review of The Lady Of The Vineyard:

I've read this book before the rewrites and after Kellyn Roth reworked it I had the privilege to beta read this heartbreaking story with an end unlike any other book. Not only did the author take on a rarely written era she did so with insight that does her credit. It's truly impressive and well done. Not that it isn't sad, which it is very much so. You see the longing on the little girl on the cover? That's what you'll feel reading this; longing for Judy to
Zielle
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tweens, teens and young adults
Can a family come back together, or has too much time gone past?

Wow. This novella is amazing! I loved Judy and her father. However I don’t think Adele (Judy’s mother) was really keeping Judy away from her father. The book did say that Adele invited him to come to see Judy, but he always refused… That part I didn’t understand. (Kell if you’re reading this, maybe you can give me an answer? XD 😉 ) I also thought Colette sounded too old for her age.

My heart broke for Judy, having only the love of he
Gracelyn Buckner
3.5 Stars

This was a sweet little story! Not my favorite in the world, but sweet.

~wonderfuls~

Jane of Lantern Hill feel

Now, this sounds really weird to me, so I'm sure it sounds even weirder to you guys. But The Lady of the Vineyard reminded me a lot of L.M. Montgomery's Jane of Lantern Hill. The mother and father who wouldn't speak to each other, the odd, but lovable house, and the sunsets and the sea. The plot was similar too. And I really, really enjoyed Jane of Lantern Hill, so this made T
Abigail
Read this in a couple of hours on the day after Irma blew through.

I enjoyed this! Judy is the sweetest child and I need to give her a hug please and thank you.
Esther Filbrun
I love reading books from new-to-me self-published authors. You win some, and you lose some, but I enjoyed reading The Lady of the Vineyard recently! I have a hard time imagining this book in any other state than its present form, but I’m told it’s something like four times bigger than the original was. This story was engaging, though, as I watched the struggles of a little six-year-old as she tried to find her place in the world. The longings for a happy, loving family were strong, and though s ...more
Andrea Cox
FTC Disclosure: Reveries Co. gave me a complimentary electronic copy of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts.

What an emotional journey.

It all began with the characters.

Little Judy stole my heart despite sometimes sounding older than six. Her plight was easy to connect with and empathize over. Adele was harder to love, but her growth was, perhaps, the most noteworthy. She did grow on me, carving out space in my reader heart for herself. Troy was lovely in ho
Emily Yager
This historical novella, continues with Judy's story, It now 1938, London, England and the French Riviera. Judy who is unloved by her divorced mother and has never met her father. When he returns into her life, it brings on all sort of interesting bits.

I loved this novella. The cover has a sweet, Shirley Temple feel to it. The character's were well done. And Judy is a very realistic 6 year old. The story was a bit fast paced and the ending felt a touch rushed. Over all it was a beautiful story.
moxieBK
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relationships
​Lady of the Vineyard — Kellyn Roth (12 chapters) Aug 31, 2017

Note: This story takes place in the 1930's. This is a story (that I learned afterwards is aimed at middle to YA readers,) about a young girl, Judy, whose mother, Della, spends more time concerned about herself than her daughter. (Which doesn't mean she doesn't love her daughter.) Judy's father shows up, takes her back to live with him, causing Della to have a wake-up call.

I really liked this story until the very end. The ending didn't
Mr. Bohemian
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Dr.2: The patient is a darling little flower. If you like the cover, you'll like the story. I am less than an aficionado of love stories of handsome monsieurs from France, but this was a nice story about a handsome monsieur from France. I enjoyed the narrative even though it was outside of my typical genres. A great small story with a kiss of essence, all for Judy.
Jane
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started out almost hating Adele and thinking that six-year-old Judy had way too much expected of her. Adele starts as a selfish woman who thinks only of herself. Once her ex-husband appears and takes Judy for the summer, Adele starts to change. What her best friend and her mother have been telling her starts to sink in. They have been trying to get her to be more of a mother to Judy. Adele also comes to realize that her fiance will not be good for Judy. She makes a decision that, possibly for ...more
Christian Fiction...: Kees & Colliers Blog Tour Signups! 1 6 Jun 09, 2019 02:54PM
Goodreads Librari...: Adding a Series (with new title!) 3 18 Feb 28, 2019 09:18AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Adding Characters and Setting 5 27 Nov 13, 2016 02:35AM

• Plan to Fail (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #2)
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • Freedom (Liberty's Battlegrounds, #1)
  • Once Upon a Dime (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6)
  • Tutor, Nanny, Spit-up, Spy (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #4)
  • Bad Things, Small Packages (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #3)
  • A-Spying We Will Go (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #5)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • The Penderwicks in Spring (The Penderwicks, #4)
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • A Distance Too Grand (American Wonders, #1)
  • Beloved
  • The Coronation  (Tales of Tarsurella #1)
  • The Star and the Shamrock

Kellyn Roth is a Christian historical women's fiction and romance author. Sound boring? Well, she includes lots of adorable children and mischievous animals—as well as a generous dose of BBC-style drama.

Kell lives on a ranch in North-Eastern Oregon with her family, crazy border collies, conceited fluffy cat, and assorted cows and chickens.

Other than authoring, she blogs, teaches young writers to

Kees & Colliers (4 books)
  • Souls Astray (Kees & Colliers, #1)
  • Flowers in Her Heart (Kees & Colliers #3)
  • From Now 'Til Forever (Kees & Colliers #4)

News & Interviews

“It’s like being offered lemonade after having something really sweet. The lemonade was wonderful before, but it just tastes sour after.” 2 likes
“For the thousandth time, Adele Collier, don’t open the closet door or you’ll get crushed!” 2 likes