Start by marking “The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)” as Want to Read:
The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)

The Deserter

(Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor #1)

A taut, psychologically suspenseful military thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Nelson DeMille—writing with his son, screenwriter Alex DeMille—about two army investigators on the hunt in Venezuela for an army deserter who might know too much about a secret Pentagon operation.

Published October 22nd 2019 by Simon & Schuster

Start your review of The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
Thomas
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captain Kyle Mercer deserts his unit in Afghanistan. He's captured and tortured by the Taliban. Then he escapes, sending a video of him with dead captors to U.S. Government. Then he is sighted in Venezuela. The Army sends 2 CID investigators to capture him and bring him back for court martial. Scott Brodie has a reputation for breaking the rules and succeeding in his assignments. He is paired with a new partner, Maggie Taylor. But there is more to Kyle's desertion and Scott and Maggie are almost ...more
Kaceey
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5*
I am likely in the minority here...

This is the second book I’ve read by Nelson DeMille. His prior book The Cuban Affair took our lead character on a trek deep within Cuba. And I was able to view the country through Mr. DeMille’s expert narration and knowledge of the country.

With this latest release it seems he attempted to recreate that same air of mystery within Venezuela. And while I learned much about this country (I had little prior knowledge of), it was really too much. It began feeling
Susanne  Strong
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
2 Stars.

Boy oh boy - Nelson DeMille - I am disappointed in one of your novels, for the first time ever and I am (almost) speechless.

I got through “The Deserter” - barely. It was a buddy read (thank you Kaceey for hanging in there with me!). I am a long time fan of Nelson DeMille and have read every book he has ever written and his latest novel (co-written with his son Alex DeMille) does not hold a candle to any of his prior novels. Where is the wit, the dry humor, and sarcasm that we have
Maureen Carden
One lesson I’ve learned from both The Deserter and The Cuban Affair you don’t want the DeMille father and son writing team to write a travel guide about your country. Nelson in The Cuban Affair then Nelson and son, with The Deserter strip away all of the misguided romance about the socialist countries of Cuba and Venezuela, two countries that are about a half bubble from being classified as a failed state.
The DeMilles’ expose all of the ugliness, brutality and corruption of those governments
Liz
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars, rounded up
Nelson DeMille consistently creates intelligent characters who have trouble following orders and have wicked senses of humor. John Corey remains one of my favorite characters of all time. Scott Brodie is cut from the same cloth. Unlike Corey, who is just a total smart ass, the DeMilles have tried to give Scott more depth in addition to the wisecracks. It doesn’t always work.

Scott is a warrant officer in the Army CID. He and his partner have been tasked with finding Kyle
Lou
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deserter is the first outing for military police officer and all-around legendary hero, Scott Brodie, in the DeMilles's most electrifying and downright exhilarating thriller to date. Action-packed, fraught with danger and with plenty of political intrigue, we are treated to a stellar read from beginning to end and a book that produces so many twisty-turny surprises as well as countless peaks and troughs. Espionage, crime fiction and action thrillers, this has a potent, killer mix with the pages ...more
Betsy
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'd watch that!

I hope these guys have been in touch with HBO or Netflix because The Deserter is going to be fantastic when it comes to our screens.

This thriller is part Homeland, part Serial season 2 (the one about Bowe Bergdahl), and part modern-day Rambo. Our protagonist, Scott Brodie, has to go to seemingly impossible lengths to try to accomplish his mission of bringing deserter Captain Kyle Mercer home to face justice. The action in this story, along with its plot twists, will make these
Adrienne
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A superb military thriller. Well written, plausible, really conveyed a soldier's thinking - after training. The plotting was consistently even throughout the book. The characters - likewise. Definitely i had to stay put and keep reading. So many twists and turns. Always I was thinking why did ...you need to read the book for that. The writing was also highly visual. I saw a movie running in my head.
What stood out for me most of all - was how well the soldier thinking/mentally seem to inhabit my
Dave
Deserter is a full-throttle intense military black ops adventure that is incredibly hard to put down and a great deal of fun to read. It has all the makings of a blockbuster movie.

The story has its beginnings in the Bowe Berghdal story, a soldier serving in Afghanistan who one day walked away from his post and, despite an intense search, was captured by the Taliban and held in captivity for years before being exchanged for several Taliban hostiles and returned to the US to face charges for
Dee Arr
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, spy, suspense
{60-second video review here} ---> http://bit.ly/The_Deserter

Get ready for a long and entertaining read. Father/son team Nelson & Alex DeMille will take you on a journey reminiscent of Apocalypse Now, although the overall flavor of the tale is much different. While the ride is not smooth at times, the thriller/spy aspects will definitely keep your nose buried in the book until the end.

It was refreshing to read a book in this genre where the characters are not enshrined with superhero
Pamela Small
First and foremost, thanks to the authors, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of The Deserter. Please read the publisher’s press release for the summary. This review will address my personal impressions.

Nelson DeMille is a classic in the political, espionage suspense genre. The Deserter falls into this category, but falls a bit short.
1. The protagonist is a revisionist character of Mr. DeMille’s aka John Corey fame. I enjoy the wit and banter, but the characterization isn’t
Bret Schwartz
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The Cuban Affair goes to Venezuela. Two people go galavanting around an unfriendly country and surprise..... find trouble. I'm a huge Demille fan but this seemed too similar to The Cuban Affair. The main character reminds me too much of John Corey but not nearly as funny. When i'm on the fence about a book, i ask myself if this kept me awake reading late into the night and unfortunately it did not. Don't get me wrong i enjoyed the book but it took me longer than usual to finish.
Stephanie
NOTE: some of this is taken from my review of deMille’s The Cuban Affair (2017).

Nineteen years ago, someone whose opinions on books NEVER matched mine recommended Lion’s Game by Nelson DeMille, and I LOVED it. Since then, I’ve grabbed every new DeMille book and been puzzled by the inconsistency: for example, Night Fall was terrific. The Panther? Not so much. And don’t even get me started on Radiant Angel. I kept thinking, “what happened?”

But I couldn’t quite give up on any author who has
Jacqui
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nelson DeMille's latest novel and first in a new series (co-authored with his son), The Deserter (Simon and Schuster 2019), as we have come to expect from DeMille is a spine-tingling, fast-moving, complicated story of international intrigue. Chief Warrant Officer and Army CIS officer Scott Brodie and his partner Maggie Taylor are tasked with finding a Delta Force Officer, Kyle Mercer, who deserted his post in the Middle East for no known reason. When soldiers die searching for him, it changes ...more
Benjamin Thomas
Captain Kyle Mercer, decorated Delta Force veteran of the war in Afghanistan, has deserted. Why, is not clear. The Taliban have released a pair of videos showing the brutal acts of Mercer and it is clear the trained assassin has gone rogue. A year later an old Army buddy spots Mercer in Caracas, Venezuela and so the Army Criminal Investigation Division (CID) dispatches a couple of agents to track him down and bring him back to the US.

We follow the story through the eyes of Scott Brodie, a former
Andrea
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was extremely happy when this book showed up unsolicited in my inbox. I am a Nelson DeMille fan and I needed a break from the depressing books I had just finished so this was a most welcome respite.

I have a good friend who's from Venezuela so I probably know more about the current situation than the average reader. So this book resonated with me, And DeMille did his research; the country was portrayed as I've been told--re the politics, economic situation, corruption and loyalties, etc.

I got
Jeanne
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sadly I didn’t care for this one. Unlike DeMille’s others I wasn’t grabbed by the stories nor characters. The characters seemed detached from each other and their situations.
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for this arc
Casey Wheeler
The author has a tendency to be either very good or so-so at best with his novels. This one falls in the so-so category. It may be that he co-wrote this one, but I tend to believe it is just not one of his better efforts. The main character is a copy of the main character from The Cuban Affair with just a different name. The story bogs down in several places and then has a very abrupt ending leaving a reader somewhat unsatisfied. It is like he got bored with it and decided to wrap it up.

I
Joe Kucharski
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Nelson DeMille has a type. And he loves that type. Alpha males prone to deviations of orders and common sense alike. Lovers of beer. And blondes. Although, there has historically been more success with the beer.

Nelson DeMille has fans. Legions of them. And for the record, I’m card-carrying member #7593. These fans (us fans?) know what to expect from a Nelson DeMille novel. The beats are set. The tune can be hummed. Only the location changes. Sometimes.

The Deserter, co-written with DeMille’s
Donna Hines
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
When Captain Kyle Mercer of the Delta Force goes missing you know shiite is going to hit the fan!
However, what is not well known is just how far, how fast, and how dangerous a mission it will become and Nelson and his son Alex bring the mystery, suspense, and chilling drama right to your front door.
Imagine if you will you a video surfaces from the Taliban but everyone wonders if they are even involved in your MIA status?
A year later an old army buddy spots Kyle in Venezuela and puts Scott Brodie
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
Nelson DeMille serves up another blistering thriller, this time writing with his son, Alex. Apparently, the talent runs strong in the family, as this story proves, flowing seamlessly with wry humor and unconventional characters.

Chief Warrant Officer Scott Brodie has seen combat duty in the Middle East, as has his new partner, Maggie Taylor. But now, with the Criminal Investigation Command, their assignment takes them into even more dangerous territory: Venezuela. What’s even tougher is that they
Bob
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars — Meh, at best!

Up until starting The Deserter I had stuck to the promise I made to myself nine years ago — after finishing The Lion, his fifth book featuring John Corey — not to read any more books by Nelson DeMille. The primary reason for my promise stemmed from my dislike of the John Corey character, whose constant wise cracks and know-it-all attitude I found to be increasingly more annoying than humorous. I also had this criticism about DeMille's main character, John Sutter, in
Sue
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a 28 year military vet I was drawn to this book by the description. I have never read Nelson DeMille before so imagine my surprise 8 hours in to the audio version when I realized I had 12 hours to go! Honestly it was a great story, great plot but there was too much detailed description about absolutely nothing. It's primarily a travel log. Still the story line is great. That being said.....we all know what is happening in Venezuela so most of the descriptive stuff seemed unnecessary.
Jackie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nelson DeMille has a well-deserved reputation for writing fast paced, suspenseful thrillers. He continues this legacy by writing this novel with this son Alex. Brodie and Taylor are two army specialists called in to help find an infamous deserter who has seemingly fled to Venezuela to hide from prosecution. The relaxed repartee between Scott Brodie and Courtney Taylor help to lighten the nail- biting danger and suspense.
Lorilin
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, arc
Military criminal investigators Scott Brodie and Maggie Taylor are called in to find Captain Kyle Mercer, a former soldier in the army’s elite Delta Force unit, who’s gone AWOL. The story is that Mercer uncharacteristically deserted his post, was captured by the Taliban and tortured, but then miraculously escaped. Now he’s been tracked all the way to Venezuela, and it’s up to Brodie and Taylor to bring him back to the States so he can be formally court-martialed. It won’t be easy. Brodie and ...more
Brian Durfee
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Nelson DeMille. I hate collaborations. So I went in skeptical. But holy sh*t this was awesome dark gritty fun!!!
Will
SUBJECTIVE READER REVIEW WITH PLOT SPOILERS FOLLOWS:

I'll do this bass-ackwards since it's the comparisons to other works that I wanna focus on. Suffice it to say, Nelson DeMille, one of my all-time favorite authors, has his limitations when it comes to imagining as opposed to experiencing a locale for his thrillers. Think 'Up Country,' one of the greatest of all times, versus 'The Deserter,' a futile attempt at past grandeur. Hey, he set the bar too high, what can I say?

'The Deserter' is
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: October 22, 2019
Review Date: August 2, 2019

From the blurb:
“When Captain Kyle Mercer of the Army’s elite Delta Force disappeared from his post in Afghanistan, a video released by his Taliban captors made international headlines. But circumstances were murky: Did Mercer desert before he was captured?
Linda Quick
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! It has a tightly woven plot and engaging characters, from the rule ignoring, Scott, to the "good girl" Maggie, who has secrets of her own. When, as CID officers, they are assigned to go to Venezuela to find, arrest, and bring back to the US for trial, Kyle Mercer, a Delta Force operative that deserted his post and has not been found. A random siting in a bar brought them to Venezuela, but all the players involved seem to have multiple agendas.

The characters are engaging and,
Loy
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
The Deserter by Nelson Demille and his son Alex is a fast action book which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Scott Brodie is a seasoned army CID investigator with a new partner Maggie Taylor. Kyle Mercer is a deserter who is spotted in Venezuela. They are sent down to bring him back. The book starts out with the orders from the top brass to go down and apprehend Captain Mercer. It is a difficult mission and Brodie knows it. This book reminded me of Mr. Demille’s earlier works which were 5 stars. This one

• A Talent for Killing
  • The Sleep Experiment (World's Scariest Legends #2)
  • The 7th Victim (Karen Vail, #1)
  • The Other Daughter
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter Trilogy, #3)
  • A Warning
  • The Kingmaker (All the King's Men Duet, #1)
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • Quantum (Captain Chase #1)
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • The Sound of Rain (Nicole Foster Thriller #1)
  • Making Faces
  • The Rescue (Ryan Decker #1)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Zombie Room
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The Guardians
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille, then moved with his parents to Long Island. He graduated from Elmont Memorial High School, where he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army where he attended Officer Candidate School and was commissioned a Lieutenant in the United
“Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.” 0 likes