Start by marking “The Brightest Thing” as Want to Read:
The Brightest Thing

The Brightest Thing

In her first full-length collection, award-winning poet Ruth Daniell offers work that is both earnest and hopeful, even in the face of trauma. In formally exquisite and lyrical poems, The Brightest Thing tells the story of a young woman who is raped by her first boyfriend and her struggle afterwards to navigate her fairy-tale expectations of romantic love. This ...more
Published June 21st 2019 by Caitlin Press Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Brightest Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brightest Thing

Start your review of The Brightest Thing
Sierra Gemma
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-poetry
I loved, Loved, LOVED this book.

Disclaimer! Ruth is a close friend. But I really, really don't think this has influenced my review (at least not by much!).

This book of poetry made me cry in public multiple times. It made my heart ache and soar. I read poems to my boyfriend out of it, even though he doesn't consider himself a poetry reader, and he was like, "Wow." So yeah, this is a book that can touch just about anyone.

It is a book I will give to friends and nieces and girls going through a
Alison Bougie
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful!!! I loved reading this book, couldn't put it down. Ruth Daniell is an amazing talent and artist.
The Brightest Thing is a gorgeous collection of poetry which is nearly impossible to put down. Not only are the themes about fairy tales interesting, but they are intertwined with very real and relatable issues that people struggle with today. Dark and light, mixed with vital amounts of truth.
I highly recommend for all readers. Whether you are an experienced and enthusiastic poetry reader
Christina Myers
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Brightest Thing was a joy to read - a blend of grief and joy, beautiful and scary things. As someone who often struggles while reading poetry, I found this book accessible and pleasurable, and I read almost all of it in one sitting (telling myself "ok just one more, then I have to get up!") It mixes fairy tale imagery with modern life, the mundane with the sublime, and sadness with pleasure. It feels honest and open and simple while still being layered and complex.
Rhea Tregebov
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruth Daniell's The Brightest Things surprises and amazes. The poems take readers through trauma to recovery and resilience. In her exploration of the pitfalls and illusions of romantic love, Daniell gives us hope for a love that endures in the real world. Part of this exploration includes lyrics that dismantle traditional fairy tales, giving voice to the voiceless. A poet to read and watch; many more good books to come.
Leah Mol
Nov 17, 2019

• Dunk Tank
  • NDN Coping Mechanisms: Notes from the Field
  • These Are Not the Potatoes of My Youth
  • How Does A Single Blade of Grass Thank the Sun?
  • This Wound Is a World
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 4
  • East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise
  • Mad Long Emotion
  • The Fairy Tale Museum
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • Q & A
Ruth Daniell is an award-winning writer originally from Prince George, BC, who currently lives and writes in Vancouver, where she teaches speech arts and writing at the Bolton Academy of Spoken Arts. She is also the founder and organizer of a literary reading series called Swoon, which focuses on discovering new and innovative work about love and desire. She holds a BA (Honours) in English ...more