Start by marking “How to Fight Anti-Semitism” as Want to Read:
How to Fight Anti-Semitism

How to Fight Anti-Semitism

The prescient New York Times writer delivers an urgent wake-up call to all Americans exposing the alarming rise of anti-Semitism in this country—and explains what we can do to defeat it.

“Stunning . . . Bari Weiss is heroic, fearless, brilliant and big-hearted. Most importantly, she is right.”—Lisa Taddeo, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Three Women

On October 27,
ebook
Published September 10th 2019 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about How to Fight Anti-Semitism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Fight Anti-Semitism

Start your review of How to Fight Anti-Semitism
Lisa Taddeo
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
READ THIS, NOW.

This book must be read by every single human being who wants to be a better one, and especially the ones who don't. Bari Weiss is the Grace Paley of our time. In these pages and everywhere else, Weiss is heroic and brilliant and greathearted and, most importantly, she is right.
Arnie
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding analysis of how today's anti-semitism is coming from the political right and left as well as from extremist Islam. There is at least something that will make everyone uncomfortable, as they are the anti-semitism coming from segments of society close to them. Her observations about standing against anti-semitism, strengthening support for Israel and building Jewish pride are priceless.
Jt Nelson
Sep 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Bari Weiss is nothing if not intellectually dishonest. Every criticism ever levied against Bari, is reinforced by this utter and complete drivel.
Bari occupies a truly bizarre niche market by being a Jewish woman who, like Ben Shapiro, helps inspire and excuse Rightwing extremism that literally results in Jewish casualties, while instead presenting the left through a distorted lens that attempts to conflate criticism of the Israeli government with anti-semitism as the “real threat”.

Bari would
Erika Dreifus
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish-lit
It's not that there was so much in this book that was new to me (well, I didn't know about the Basel Massacre of 1349). But Bari has a way of giving voice to concerns that I wish I could express half so well. (On the other hand, I can't say that I'd be up for the public vilification that she so often receives in return.)
Shoshanna
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about Bari Weiss on an episode of Unorthodox podcast and what she was talking about, the way she was talking about it, really resonated with me. She is one of the first public intellectuals I have heard speaking about antisemitism on the Right AND the Left. I’m used to hearing each side only speak of antisemitism on the other side, often in a manipulative way.

Weiss takes a deep dive and a long look into the history of antisemitism on the Right and on the Left, as well as the way
Michael Shore
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Although superbly written, I found myself unpersuaded by the author's central claim; that anti-zionism is almost always cloaked anti-semitism.
Johanna Markson
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to Fight Anti-Semitism, Bari Weiss
Weiss is a staff writer and editor for the opinions section of the New York Times, and she was also a bat mitzvah at the Tree of Life synagogue, having grown up in Pittsburg. On the morning of October 27, 2018, when the gunman burst in on the worshipers screaming “all the Jews must die” Weiss didn’t know yet that that phrase would mark the “before and the after” for her. The massacre of those Jews, where her father still attends services, was the largest in
Michale Keir - Cheslock
Sep 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Bari Weiss wrote an impassioned and insightful article following the Tree of Life massacre, the deadliest antisemitic attack in US history. This is the event which seems to have prompted this book, which has a misleading title that implies a kind of instructional manual. Weiss’ work refuses to reckon with any actual historical form of antisemitism, and asks its audience for enraged opposition to the phenomenon at the expense of understanding it.

Rather disappointingly, the reader will find one
Elise
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, engaging, well written book. Read my full review at
Faith Goldstein
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is essential reading for Americans whether Jewish or not . It is well researched and gives an eye opening picture of antisemitism both historically when it was a result of a world that persecuted those of a different faith and presently when it discusses the evils of the extreme right and left . It discusses the lack of knowledge in the world , the impact of the Muslims on the Jews of Europe today , the untruths that continue to be perpetuated by those who make up reasons for hatred . ...more
Ari
Sep 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
The book's title is a misnomer. This book doesn't address the question at all. Weiss writes from such an unbearably pompous tone. As an jew, I wondered a few times prior to and consistently during my reading of this novel what qualified her to lecture me about this issue . This may have been the worse book I have read this entire year. This book is filled with terrible prose, disconnected thoughts, blatant islamophobia/racism and idiocracy. If anything this book is a testament to how far you can ...more
Adam Hummel
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb. Just about read it in one sitting. Every page is meaningful and important.

Jon-Erik
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: judaica
Before I go further, I have to say that I agree with almost everything Weiss has written. I can relate to almost all of her experiences. I myself have stood guard at my synagogue with a rifle in the wake of shootings.

But I'm not giving stars on the basis of how much I agree. I'm giving it on how good of a book I think this is. It's aiite. It's too long to be an essay and too short to be a detailed study. It probably should be half as long with some of the items in the end on a short punch list.

I
Michael
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clear, concise summary of disturbing recent events. While a well-read citizen would know nearly everything in the book, those who rely exclusively upon Ms. Weiss's current employer for news of our, um, times, will be well served by this primer.

Weiss correctly distinguishes among the three prevalent strains of the anti-Semitism virus: Right, Left, and Islamist, and correctly observes that while white supremacists are the anti-Semites most likely to shoot up a synagogue, they are responsible for
David
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, ebook
Weiss does an admirable job of tackling a problem that’s been with the world for thousands of years: anti-semitism. She places it in historical context and defines in relatively precise terms. She points out how it manifests itself today from both the right and the left. Perhaps because anti-semitism is such a difficult behavior to eliminate, her prescription for combating it - from the perspective of an individual Jew being victimized - is somewhat scattershot and a bit weak. However, her ...more
Amy
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. I hope that people who are reading books like “How to be an anti-racist” will read this, too. If we accept bigotry and fake news from anyone because that person is otherwise “on our side”, we are allowing the foundations of our democracy to crumble. I got this from the library but have immediately purchased my own copy because I need to read it right away a second time.

It is chilling to learn of how successfully judenfrei the Arab world is, and many of the other examples in
Budd Margolis
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bari Weiss leads with her analysis covering the history of antisemitism, then hits the right, then left and smacks you with the Muslim attacks all with the latest stats, review of hate news and incidents from the USA, Europe and the Middle East. She cares about all society and peoples and has a deep faith. This book is for everyone. If you care about the return of hate and nationalism and wonder what is going on in the world, this book will illuminate some difficult to perceive areas. There are ...more
Anton
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I fear that writing a review, or even rating the book, may be perceived as taking a stance on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, Zionism, or American foreign policy. I don't have any deeply held beliefs in that area.

Reading Weiss's views shifted my understanding of what a Zionist world view looks like, and will impact how I use that term in the future. I also enjoyed her overview of how "the Jewish conspiracy" morphed over the centuries to fit the problems du jour.

Some of the opinions in her book
Margaret Klein
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Anti-semitism is on the rise. All the statistics show that. On the right and on the left. Bari Weiss, a New York Times reporter grew up in Pittsburgh. After the Pittsburgh massacre she began to write this book. It is compelling. She lays out, as others have, a narrative of how we got here. It is challenging. It admits that while anti-semitism on the right is more violent, anti-semitism on the left hurts more because we thought these were our friends, people we worked in the trenches with on ...more
Ryan Lackey
I read this based on Bari Weiss's appearance on the Sam Harris podcast. All of the good content in the book was basically addressed in that podcast episode; the book itself was strictly worse due to including a lot of stupid/irrelevant stuff, as well as being longer.

The interesting part of the book is breaking anti-semitism into the right, the left, and islam. There's a superficial treatment of each, but rather than presenting the best forms of each's arguments and refuting, she went for
John Davis
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bari Weiss is a trained, careful New York Times editor. She marshals this skill to show a reader how to understand the historical context of anti-Semitism. She explains how to identify its modern versions, and then points out practical ways to counter it. In remarkably clear prose she illustrates that anti-Semitism can come from both sides of the political spectrum, is often subtle, but can be fought. She offers excellent advice on how to combat this ancient hate mongering. Her advice is well ...more
Adam Glantz
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A passionate, thoughtful, clear-eyed, eminently readable letter to American Jewry. Weiss tells some uncomfortable truths, but then lays out a plan for how to deal with modern antisemitism, both in terms of social and political organizing and psychological self-care. The progressivist left hates Weiss and this book for a reason: it lays bare the Faustian bargain they offer to socially conscious Jews.
Roberta Weiner
Bari Weiss is a polarizing figure, and if you doubt that look at the number of five and one star reviews. This reads like a understandably heartfelt cry from someone whose home Temple was turned into a shooting gallery by an anti-Semitic white nationalist. Where she gets in trouble is her comments about the progressive left, but I think it’s intellectually dishonest to pretend she’s wrong about this. A lot to discuss and disagree with, but worth reading.
Laura L
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t want to pile onto the Bari Weiss diss train, there’s enough people doing that! She makes some good points, and is clearly passionate, but I think she was going for an overview of antisemitism and how to stand up to it, and this book didn’t accomplish that goal. I wish that a less blinkered writer would address what is a real issue, right wing and left wing antisemitism that leaves Jews, especially American progressives, with few allies.
Cvillejon
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Anti-semitism is one of the oldest hatreds (only misogyny and homophobia have deeper roots) in the world. It long predates racism and colonialism and it’s adaptability is truly astonishing: in the 19th and 20th centuries, Jews have been hated for being exemplars of capitalist hegemony AND for being subversive revolutionaries who would overthrow the capitalist system; for being hide bound religious zealots who fight against Reason and Enlightenment AND for heedlessly destroying ...more
Brian Mikołajczyk
Bari Weiss pens the story of modern antisemitism and how it is pervasive in Western culture.
She tackles antisemitism and anti-Zionism both on the right and the left.
Her prescription for fighting it are rather lacking and somewhat obvious, though. She recommend more community outreach and gathering allies as well as not voting for politicians who say antisemitic things.
Overall a good read.
Arlene Handler
Good history, but...

....the history of anti-semitism was the first 100 pages! I waited and waited to find out what to do about the hate! Why didn’t you put the ideas within the stories and then reiterate them at the end?
Azizi Othman
Sep 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
liberal zionist narrating the suffering of jews before her time and how jews was demonize by Christianity and Islam . She kept on emphasizing human rights but totally denying Palestinian rights to exist. outright disgusting! eww
J.J.
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
Perhaps I should have read beyond the title, but this is a call from a Jewish American to other Jewish Americans to tell their stories, all told in the shadow of the Tree of Life temple shooting. Very worthwhile to hear as a non Jew even if I was not the intended reader.
Rock Cousteau
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was nice to be reminded that Jews are a good people that only want the best for this planet. Anti-semitism is a cancer for which there are many cures. First, love your neighbor. Second, be the change you want to see in the world. Thanks for the book, Bsri.

• We Stand Divided: Competing Visions of Jewishness and the Rift Between American Jews and Israel
  • The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity
  • Antisemitism: Here and Now
  • Woke: A Guide to Social Justice
  • How to Have Impossible Conversations: A Very Practical Guide
  • The Problem with Everything: My Journey Through the New Culture Wars
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • Antisocial: Online Extremists, Techno-Utopians, and the Hijacking of the American Conversation
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • תקלה בקצה הגלקסיה
  • With All Due Respect: Defending America With Grit and Grace
  • Here All Along: Finding Meaning, Spirituality, and a Deeper Connection to Life-in Judaism (after Finally Choosing to Look There)
  • Self-Portrait in Black and White: Unlearning Race
  • Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam
  • Kaddish.com
  • Outgrowing God: A Beginner’s Guide
  • A Warning
  • Letters from an Astrophysicist
Bari Weiss is a staff writer and editor for the opinion section of The New York Times. Weiss was an op-ed and book review editor at The Wall Street Journal before joining the Times in 2017. She has also worked at Tablet, the online magazine of Jewish politics and culture. She is a native of Pittsburgh and lives in New York City.
“Under Lenin’s one-party state rule, this took the form of the Yevsektsiya, the Jewish section of the Bolshevik Party, run by—who else?—Jews. It was a perfect solution. The state could ban Judaism and criminalize Zionism, and Lenin could point to the fact of the Jewish section to prove that the Communists were actually philo-Semitic. Jews could join—and persecute other Jews—to prove that they were committed members of the party.” 0 likes