Start by marking “The German Heiress” as Want to Read:
The German Heiress

The German Heiress

For readers of The Alice Network and The Lost Girls of Paris, an immersive, heart-pounding debut about a German heiress on the run in post-World War II Germany.

Clara Falkenberg, once Germanys most eligible and lauded heiress, earned the nickname the Iron Fräulein during World War II for her role operating her familys ironworks empire. Its been nearly two years since the
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The German Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The German Heiress

Start your review of The German Heiress
Paromjit
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anika Scott writes a post WW2 piece of intriguing historical fiction from the unusual perspective of the defeated and humiliated Germans, now living under Allied occupation of the victorious forces. Germany is a ruined and devastated nation, with ordinary people facing poverty and starvation, whilst having to come to terms with their part in and complicity with the horrors and terrors of their recent past. The allied forces are looking for war criminals to arrest, and a British Captain Fenshaw ...more
Ash
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins Publishers for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

These days Im usually not tempted by World War II-era historical fiction. Its a crowded subgenre and most of it is historical romance... not my cup of tea. However, The German Heiress intrigued me because, as the name implies, it presents a German perspective, which is uncommon.

Despite its unconventional approach, this book definitely suffered from comparison. Ive read many truly
Kylie Corley
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won an ARC through Goodreads, and I could not have been more ecstatic.
I've always been obsessed with World War II historical fiction. This one had a German view.
This had all of my emotions in overdrive.
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and couldn't wait until I could get back to reading it.
Louise Wilson
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1946 Post War, Essen.

Clara Falkenburg is living under an assumed name. She is being hunted down for was crimes by Captain Fenshaw. Clara decides to look for her best friend, Elsia after returning home to find her city destroyed and Elisa and her young son missing. Clara's father is in prison waiting trial for war crimes. Thenstory touches slightly on her family and there is a shocking secret revealed.

This story revolves around Clara's search for her friend, Elsia and her son. Clara is also
Faithtagada
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i have loved this book so much! i was tensed while reading it anticipating the end.
great historical novel set from a different point of view - german side and their role and choice during the second world war. strongly recommend it!
Rachel
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The German Heiress by Anika Scott is a gripping post WWII historical fiction centered in Germany 1946. While the country lay in ruins and chaos, many were trying to create a sense of order and justice against the mayhem. This book centers around 31 year old Clara Falkenberg, the only daughter of an aristocratic and wealthy family that rose to high ranks through industrialism, slave labor, and important connections with the Fascists during WWII. While Clara herself did not believe in the cause ...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
FULL REVIEW ON APRIL 8.

Living two lives - one during the war and one after.

Could she hide her identity forever?

THE GERMAN HEIRESS has family secrets and is very well written and researched. The descriptions are detailed and vivid.

The story line is captivating with authentic characters.

Historical fiction fans will be extremely pleased with THE GERMAN HEIRESS. 4/5

This book was given to me by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Gloria Arthur
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finding Clara by Anika Scott

For those that love historical fiction, this was an unique and gripping plot that sees a German woman's perspective of post war. The characters were well developed and intriguing.

Set in 1946, Essen, Germany, Clara Falkenberg has returned home and is trying to find her best friend Elisa, after the war.

Clara is a wartime icon and German heiress who ran the family munitions factory during the war and is now wanted as a war criminal by the English allies.

To survive Clara
Missy
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clara Falkenberg, once Germany's heiress and nicknamed "the Iron Fraulein" during World War II. She's taken on another name, after running away, only to return two years after the war is over to discover her home town in ruins and her friend she's been in search of is nowhere to be found.
Running from a British officer wanting to interrogate her for war crimes.
This novel will keep you turning the pages until the end. I stayed up way past my bedtime unable to put it down until I finished.

Thank
Karen
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THE GERMAN HEIRESS
BY ANIKA SCOTT

This was an excellent story of historical fiction of post World War II Germany that explores the German people's condition after the war. This novel takes place about eighteen months after the war has ended. The allied forces are occupying Germany. The Americans have gone and the British are hunting down who they consider to be war criminals. Margarete Muller is the name by which Clara Falkenberg is going by in Hamelin. She is proposed by Dr. Blum the small town
Erin
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

3 1/2 stars rounded up to 4. I think it was a strong debut novel for this author with a lot of interesting characters. What made me toss back and forth between 3 and 4 stars was the ending. It seemed like there was a lot of build up, throughout the novel, but then the ending seemed a bit....rushed? That is the only word I can think of to describe it, as if the novel was left unfinished. Aside from that, I would recommend the book for anyone who
Jessica Gilmore
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Germany 1946. A country coming to terms with a decade of evil, with a lost war, with deprivation and hunger, with occupation. Many citizens have secrets to hide, even if their guilt is just looking the other way, but some have culpability for real, serious crimes, and the forces occupying their destroyed country are determined to root them out. People like Clara Falkenberg, the Iron Maiden, Nazi poster girl who ran factories manned with slave labour.

British officer Fenshaw is on a mission to
Sue Parker
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I choose to read this book as I have a grandaughter who is named 'Clara'. I am glad I did although it was not an easy or leisurely read! An unusual book I would say coming from a different angle. I couldn't decide if I liked Clara or not but then that is real life isn't it, we rarely meet people who are wholly lovely or absolutely awful. Clara was born into a certain set of circumstances and she had to make of them what she could. Sitting on this side of the 20thC we see things in a certain way ...more
Susan Collins
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable WWII story told from the Germans' point-of-view! Plot was filled with twists from beginning to end. A must read to learn how the opposing people were treated after the war!
Katie Sparkes
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful story, with such detail that puts you right into the middle of a strong woman on her quest for answers! All of the characters you meet continuously keep you intrigued. The story never goes off track into rambles or stories that do not coincide with the big picture. It was amazing to see a story where the woman was the main focus and the men did not overshadow her story of development and discovery. The ending will have you on the edge of your seat, and though you find the answer ...more
Rebecca Hodge
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Between the heights of the superhero and the lairs of the total villain lies a vast expanse occupied by ordinary people struggling to make choices under extraordinary circumstances. Set in post-World War II occupied Germany, THE GERMAN HEIRESS is the story of Clara, fleeing from accusations of war crimes, Jakob, a survivor of the Russian Front now struggling to care for his family, and the British officer who searches for Clara. Meticulously researched, this gripping historical fiction deals ...more
Tami
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a fairly quick and interesting read. Set in post WWII Germany, readers get a look into how the Germans were living with the Allied forces among them and their fellow-Germans being hunted, tried and convicted of war crimes.

Clara Falkenburg was one of the Germans the Allies had on their radar. After several narrow escapes, Clara is finally captured, but what happens next is quite surprising. Add in a budding romance and this makes for an interesting read.

I received an advance copy of
Sarah Davalt
I received this book as an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC) through NetGalley. It will be published April 7, 2020.
Net Galley's description was that this book was "for readers of The Alice Network and The Lost Girls of Paris, an immersive, heart-pounding debut about a German heiress on the run in post-World War II Germany." BOOM I was sold!

The book takes place after 2 years after WWII had ended in Germany. Clara Falkenberg has false documents saying she is Margarete Müller, but in reality she is an
Emily
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems that everywhere you look lately there's another WWII era book with a strong female main character, and when I got the opportunity to read The German Heiress from Netgalley, I was wondering if I would be able to get into it. I think that even after reading so many in this subgenre there are still some great stories to tell, but they have to be special and stand out in some way. This one truly does! It's very well written and the characters are so complex. It's funny that the description ...more
Karen M
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story takes place in Germany during the post World War II period of rebuilding. The black market is the only way to purchase most items and is one of the more lucrative jobs a man or woman can have except it is illegal. People are starving and homeless and yet surviving by their wits.

Clara Falkenberg, infamously known as the iron Fräulein, searches for her only friend, Elisa, and Elisas son. Clara had disappeared and gone into hiding just before the war was over and had deserted Elisa.

This
Shirley
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who to Trust

The German Heiress takes place at the very end of WWII. The British are hunting and arresting the Nazis' and those Germans closely associated with them.

One British captain captain Fenshaw was especially focused on finding Clara Falkenberg , once a famous heiress to the German steel factory empire and the daughter of a known Nazi sympathizer.

This is the story of Clara, her memories of happy times before the war, during and after. It is also the story of her best friend Elisa, her
Helen White
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Set in Germany after the war, during the Allied occupation Clara is desperately trying to find her best friend Elisa and dodge the English military. She is a wanted war criminal after all, the Iron Fraulien. Daughter of a Nazi manufacturing family and a propaganda darling.
Returning to her home time she finds help in the form of crippled former soldier and now black marketeer Jakob. He believes her motives during the war were not as clear cut as the English believe.
This is a classic cat and
Lenore
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and found it interesting and challenging to read. Although a story of fiction it portrays an environment of fear, and survival at the end of the second world war. It is set in an industrial area of Germany. It tells the story of a young women who during the war had tried to make the lives of those working in camps easier.alongside keeping herself in favour with the the Reich. Her journey at the end of the war tells of her attempt to find her closest friend and her son. The ...more
D Jackson
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel set in the period following the Second World War begins interestingly enough and gathers momentum as the main character attempts to evade capture as a war criminal. Scott's description and the inclusion of the other main characters enables the reader to become involved and we want to see her succeed in finding her friend.
Although it was necessary to revisit places from her earlier life in her quest it sometimes niggled me that someone so desperate to evade capture was sometimes quite
Rebecca
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is set in Germany following ww2 during the Allied occupation. It tells the story of Clara who is desperately trying to find her best friend Elisa. Problem is shes a wanted war criminal. The story is detailed and well told, exploring the nuances of right and wrong and of what people will do in order to survive. Her relationship with Jakob is by far the best in the book and brings some much needed light relief as the story gets pretty dark in places. I definitely cared about Clara but I ...more
Zubeth
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting,tense read set in post world war 2 germany. It's a gripping read with a well drawn characters. It was an atmospheric read that held my interest.
Jessica
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
WWII era historical fiction is one of my favorite genres, so I was thrilled when I won an ARC of this book from Goodreads. I enjoyed the story and characters, but I never really felt hooked. Its a nice story, and Im glad I read it, but it isnt as memorable as other books in this genre. ...more
Kate
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: publisher-arc
Thank you to NetGalley & Harper Collins Publishers for the opportunity to read an ARC of this title.

WWII books have really come into their own but have you ever wondered about the aftermath of the war from the German perspective? Clara Falkenberg was a dutiful daughter & German despite her moral qualms with the Nazi party. She allows family loyalty to influence her actions & following the war she is on the run, not only from the authorities but also from her past. Destroyed by
Lisa of Hopewell
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I learned of this book here: https://katiegilley.com/2020/01/15/we... received an advance copy of this book from Net Gallery. The opinions expressed here are mine. I was not paid for this, or any, review.

My Interest

World War II, as I've soft quiet often recently, is a huge interest of mine. The period immediately after the war through the end of the Berlin Airlift does not receive as much attention. This book caught my eye since it begins in soon after the war.

The Story

Say the name "Falkenberg"
Amanda
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly touching account of German life at the end of WW2, 'Finding Clara' is exceptionally well thought out, beautifully written and enlightening.

From the start, the story promises to challenge the readers moral judgement and has, as a result, made it a page turner. I have enjoyed the journey that Clara and Jakob have lead the reader on with the ever present Fenshaw trailing their movements. This makes it worthy of this five star review.

Thanks to #NetGalley for a copy in exchange for an
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »