Start by marking “The Big Five O” as Want to Read:
The Big Five O

The Big Five O

The Big FIVE O Four friends one VERY big birthday Praise for Jane Wenham-Jones Fresh, funny and wise Katie Fforde I love Janes writing! Jill Mansell feel-good Woman and Home

Theyre planning a party the seaside town of Broadstairs will never forget, but these four 49 year olds have far more on their minds than canapés and balloons for their half-century
Empty-nester

Kindle Edition
Published July 5th 2019 by HarperImpulse

To ask other readers questions about The Big Five O, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Five O

Start your review of The Big Five O
Dawn
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Roz, Charlotte, Fay and Sherie are all turning 50 and plan a massive party. While their friendship holds them together there are just some things they havent shared but time will soon reveal those secrets.

This was such a feel good book and I really enjoyed it. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Shalini
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Friendships and secrets always get my attention in a book. 4 best friends approaching their 50th birthday soon decided to have a party. But even life long friendships always have those tiny little secrets that you never wanna tell each other. These women did too. And one of them had a deadly secret. Faye, Charlotte, Sherie, Roz were the best of friends, but each had a life a bit separate from each other. Some were secretive, some open.

My first book by Jane Wenham-Jones, this book captured me by
Susan Angela Wallace
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The big five-O by Jane Wenham-Jones.
A lovely light hearted read. Loved reading about Charlotte Fay Sherie and Roz. Bought a few tears as well. Recommended. 5*.
Carmel Breffit
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A newbie experience author for me but with a fantastic feel good uplifting vibe, I really enjoyed the story especially the range of the characters personalities.

Roz, Charlotte, Fay and Sherie are four best friends who are all about to share a huge milestone of turning 50 soon. In these years of friendship though some secrets have been kept which are soon to be discovered and revealed.

Will there relationships and friendships be tested when all is revealed or can they work through what has been
Jenny C
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A positive book about friendship and secrets. This follows 4 friends, who are nearing their 50th birthdays, on the run up to a party they are planning to celebrate it. Their stories are intertwined and there are several cliffhangers in the book, one of them is ill, but you dont find out who til the end. Although I liked the premise, I found some of the characters hard to like, and felt that their friendships were not as real or as close as first expected. Because of this, in some parts I found ...more
Monica Mac
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book about four ladies nearing the big five-oh and all very different. There was a lot of material to work with here and it took me a little while to get it straight, who was who.

The ladies certainly had a lot going on, in one way or another! Charlotte, struggling as an empty-nester; Fay, the tough businesswoman who didn't know how to relax; Roz, the single mum who was desperate to earn a bit more money but was she doing the right thing? and then there was Sherie, who's closest
Kim
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
et in Broadstairs four friends, Fay, Charlotte, Roz and Sherie are fast approaching their 50th birthdays and are arranging a great party. They all come from different walks of life but all seem to be carrying a secret from each other.
I found the characters a little confusing to work out It did, however, have me smiling at some of the situations and scenarios. and weepy at others. It's not a bad book, worth a read if you haven't anything else in the offing but not one I will be looking out to
Judy
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
This is a new to me author. I love Sophie Kinsella and Jenny Colgan, so I decided to take a chance. I'm so glad that I did! I enjoyed this book so much. The four main characters are approaching their 50's. In fact, the book starts off with them planning their mutual birthday party. They all have something going on in their lives that they haven't shared with the others. All four were believable characters and when you're in that age group, very relatable. Roz was worried about money and making ...more
Sharon
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was keen to read this book because I was 50 this year too. It was such a great book. I loved reading about Charlotte, Roz, Fay & Sherie & learning about all their secrets. I must admit I did shed a tear or two towards the end as all their secrets came out. Would love to read a sequel about what happens to them all next.
Ruth
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kerry Ford
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I absolutely devoured this book!

A group of women all approaching their 50th birthdays decide to throw a massive party. Each of the friends are different, with their own secrets and stories going on throughout the book. Being a woman in her mid forties I can really appreciate the feelings and struggles that each of the women go through. Dealing with infidelity, illness, lack of money and loss to name but a few. The characters are written in such a detailed way that you cant help but find a piece
Karen Peterman
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four friends are going to be 50 and are planning a big party in Jane Wenham-Jones The Big Five-O. They live in the seaside town of Broadstairs - Charlotte, Roz, Fay and Sherrie.

Charlotte thinks her husband may be having an affair, Roz is a single parent who is struggling financially, Fay is loving life as a divorced woman having a fling with a much younger man and finally Sherie is single and lives alone with her cat.

This light-hearted book took a while to get into but as the characters
Kim Melbourne
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of four good friends all approaching 50 and organising a joint birthday party.
We learn the lives of all 4 women, their working background alongside their relationships. The characters are extremely easy to relate to and very likable.
In the background is a running storyline around one of the characters, not identified until the end, who is keeping a secret around her health. This was dealt with sensitively but demonstrated a woman's strength al9ngside the idea that she
Amanda
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not a book of my usual reading genre but I was pleasantly surprised as the pace and characters kept me turning the pages.
Each character had their own story to tell and develop without getting too intense. This kept the momentum light and not too serious for what I would call a "coffee and an free hour" book. A pick up and read but quite easy to put down and return to if needed.
Following four friends planning a joint 50th Birthday celebration whilst juggling their everyday lives at the same
Rachel
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Big Five-O follows 4 friends, all coming up to their 50th birthday and a big birthday bash is being planned. The friends are; Charlotte, a devoted mother and wife but struggling with the fact her daughter has left home for Uni. Fay, a successful businesswoman, no children and has a toyboy, Sherie is single but loves her cat and Roz is a single mum struggling to make ends meet. All of these ladies have secrets.
Throughout the book we find out more and more about each character, the secrets
Fluff Smut & Murder
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a book with older characters - I'm getting up there so I love to be able to relate.. I love books with strong friendships - it helps me strengthen my own. For the most part, I loved Fay ad Roz - their spunk and situations were hysterical - completely relatable. Charlotte was a smidge annoying with the drinking and accusing her husband of the affair, but I get it.. Sharie, on the other hand, was the most frustrating - too stereotypical with the devotion to her cat, too obsessed with ...more
Kathleen Gray
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun read about four women staring down the barrel of one of THOSE birthdays! All four- Charlotte, Roz, Fay, and Sherie- have an issue they don't necessarily want to deal with but which is hanging over their head. Yes they each have a secret but they also have each other. That's what made this a good read- it's a novel of how we can help our friends and make everyone's lives easier. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. It's light, it's funny, it's got a bit of a serious cant in spots, and all in ...more
Mary   Beth
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful light hearted story about four friends turning 50. Though there were some serious parts most of this story is light, fun and fast paced. As the characters developed throughout the book it became harder to put down and the characters are relatable which makes this book even more enjoyable. After reading this book I will be looking for more books by Jane Wenham-Jones. I am grateful to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read an ARC of this book in exchange for a honest ...more
Rachel Chambers
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a wonderfully uplifting book!

Four friends, Charlotte, Roz Fay and Sherie are about to turn 50 and to mark the occasion are organizing a fabulous party. The book focuses on each of their personal lives and despite giving each other the impression they are all fine they are all struggling in some way. One of the ladies also discovers a lump in her breast but we do not know who until the end of the book.

This book was funny, sad and inspiring and proves that it is never too late to live your
Nicola Mitchell
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am the big 51! Could I relate? With some of it, yes. It romped along with more lows than highs, I have to say, but it got there in the end.
The lows - insecurities, low self esteem, health issues, relationships, those with children and those without. It was all there.
The highs - realisation!
You can accept it and enter the next chapter anew or let it defeat you. Personally 40 was harder for me. Another decade older and making memories all the same. There is life after 30, 40, 50 and beyond!
Dawn Brookes
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable holiday read for me. This book was about friendships with a bit of romance mixed in. The four friends are planning a party to celebrate their big birthdays as they will all be 50 in the same year. Despite knowing each other well, they each have their secrets which come out as the book progresses. I liked the character development as the story went along and even with the challenges it was a feel-good book.
Recommended.
Netta
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and it's not because I am approaching the big five O myself. This was a very well written story about a group of friends planning and throwing a big birthday bash. While the party is in the works, each woman is dealing with her own life and struggles including snarky teenagers, money woes, health battles, men and whether to stay in business as a dominatrix. A fun story about aging and friendship. I highly recommend it.
Chris Tunnicliffe
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
four friends approaching their fiftieth birthdays decide to celebrate together. As the date approaches we find they all have problems that make celebrating hard. One thinks her husband is having an affair,another cant afford the costs, one is facing a big health issue. At times this book is funny at times heartbreaking but in the end friendship,love and loyalty overcomes all at the end of the day. A very good read.
Annarella
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm happy I found this book that talks about women in my age bracket, real women with problems you can relate.
It's engrossing, fun to read, moving and heartwarming.
The cast of characters is relatable and fleshed out, the setting interesting and the plot keeps you hooked till the last page.
It's the first book I read by this author and it won't surely be the last.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four best friends are approaching their 50th birthdays and each one has been keeping a secret. The cats are are about to be let out of the bags..... What will happen when they spill the beans and will their friendships be tested?

This is the first book I've read by Jane Wenham-Jones but it certainly won't be the last. I liked her style of writing and enjoyed this book immensely. It is a real feel good book with a plot that kept me entertained throughout. 4.5 stars.
chels marieantoinette
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was REALLY cute. Fast-paced with a lot going on, which made for a great, quick read. There was a bit of mystery and romance and quite a lot of depth, actually, with illnesses, addictions, financial issues, etc... which was a pleasant surprise. Great, really fun dialogue amongst this group of empowered female friends. Anyone can find a character to relate to- if not more than one. Id recommend this to any of my girlfriends (and their mothers). An adorable book. ...more
Sally Tyrer
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely, lively humerous look at life of the 50 year old woman!
Four friends aged 49 are planning a big five o party, this book shows the trials and tribulations they encounter along the way and the secrets that they have each been hiding from each other! Very funny and easy to relate to particularly as I am very nearly 59 myself! Good insight into how womens minds work and quite thought provoking!
Thank you net galley for this early read which has had me laughing out loud at times!
Vivien Brown
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love books with a cast of female friends! And these four work so well together, each with their own problems, relationship woes and secrets. The author cleverly has us wondering which of the four is hiding her breast cancer fears from her friends, and I wrongly guessed more than once! A good solid feel-good read with the right ending for every character. I enjoyed it.
Jo
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a light fun read - made me chuckle. I turned 50 quite recently and quite pleased that nothing like this ever happened to me - and thankfully no party. This is a perfect book to curl up with on a dreary day to cheer you up. Thank you to tbc and to the author for the chance to read this title in exchange for an honest review.
Angie F
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really good. As I turned 50 last year I was able to identify with some aspects of all four ladies' personalities. The author combined humour, pathos, romance and intrique really well so the book always kept the reader interested. This was the first book I have read by this author but it won't be the last

• Christmas at Rachel’s Pudding Pantry
  • The Christmas Wish List
  • Four Christmases and a Secret
  • The Secret Cove in Croatia  (Romantic Escapes, Book 5)
  • The Summer of Love and Secrets: A heartwarming story of love, loss, family and friendship
  • The Christmas Countdown
  • Christmas at Miss Moonshine's Emporium
  • A Home From Home
  • An Almost Perfect Holiday
  • The Age of Misadventure
  • Foxglove Farm (Love Heart Lane, #2)
  • The Mother of All Christmases
  • Snowflakes at the Little Christmas Tree Farm: A cosy and uplifting Christmas romance
Jane Wenham-Jones is the author of six novels her latest is The Big Five O and three non-fiction books. Wannabe a Writer? is a humorous look at the trials and tribulations of becoming a scribe and Wannabe a Writer We've Heard Of? is a how-to on PR and self-promotion. 100 Ways to Fight the Flab (and still have wine and chocolate) is full of useful tips to combat Writer's Bottom - an occupational ...more

News & Interviews