Start by marking “Junk” as Want to Read:
Junk

Junk

Set in present-day Los Angeles, Junk explores an epic conspiracy, one at work for thousands of years that involves total takeover of the planet Earth by aliens. In the wild, souped-up vision of Les Bohem - the acclaimed, Emmy-winning writer of the Steven Spielberg miniseries, Taken - the world is at the end stage of long-range plot that involves a gigantic genetic-engineer ...more
Audible Audio, 10 pages
Published February 28th 2019 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Junk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Junk

Start your review of Junk
David Katzman
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Junk was junk. Did he really need to set me up that way?

This is an original audiobook exclusive to Audible. I decided to snag it on the strength of being read by John Waters, the fabulous director of so many subversive unconventional movies. Unfortunately, he’s a much better director than voice-over actor and reader. It was hard to distinguish between characters, and he didn’t bring much emotion to the events. I looked up the author and identified him as a screenplay writer, so I suspect he must
Elwood Bergman
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re the sort of person who doesn’t know who John Waters is, you probably won’t like this, and you also have my pity. Or maybe you’re just a better person than I am.

This pleasantly dark and grisly apocalypse tale shows that the author has an encyclopedic knowledge of strange facts and stories. Try googling any of the weird tangents to see that Mr. Bohem didn’t just make it up. It’s less fictional than I would like to believe.

I think some of the reviewers didn’t finish reading it. There is
Beth
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book has a lot of graphic language and violence. Reading reviews I found that this is a love or hate type book. There is hardly any middle ground. I actually enjoy it and was pleasantly surprised. I may have inflated the rating due to so many unkind ones, I’m not sure. I storyline was intriguing.
Ross Blocher
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Eesh. Junk is an awfully bold title for a book of this caliber... This was an Audible exclusive (I don't think it exists commercially as a printed book), and I must have downloaded it because it was free or cheap, and it had John Waters as the narrator (a fun, quirky choice). Waters did fine, but this is a book that fails to come together, even though it sounds promising if you list all the pieces. There's murder, a detective, aliens taking over human bodies, conspiratorial families controlling ...more
Jen Bernardini
Mar 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
I couldn't do this one. I tried, believe me, I tried. The synopsis sounded promising: Aliens, mystery, conspiracy. But once you got into it, it was confusing as hell.

John Waters narrates and that is the first big mistake of this book. He's not a voice actor, he can't give each person a distinctive voice. This makes it near impossible to determine who's talking. He also put inflections on weird words.

There are too many characters doing too many different things. It's so hard to keep what's going
Therese
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This should have worked! I know Jon Waters isn't a professional voice actor but he's FREAKIN' Jon Waters so he could have been a perfectly acceptable conduit for this dark humored screeching paced story of weird.

With the book 2/3 done I had bumped up narration to 1.5. The book had a...grinding feeling to it. I was making such an effort to stick with it.

I couldn't keep tabs on all the characters...an actual actor might have helped with that, Waters doesn't do voices. The humor was there but it
Cori
Aug 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is junk. I'm taking it out with the trash and giving it the ol' DNF.

I'd rate this an NC-17 for gratuitous sexual content and violence/gore.
Carol Yarbrough
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I downloaded the book because I thought it was about heroin. It was better and being read to by Grandpa Waters was awesome. Who gives a rat’s ass about performance - I loved the whole thing.
Christopher
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
A muddled cross between a late-era Chuck Palahniuk (the less good ones) and "John Dies at the End" by David Wong. This book doesn't know what it wants to be so it does several things....badly.

What starts as a quasi-detective novel about a missing girl VERY quickly spirals out of control (of both the reader and author) into a mishmash of horror, sci-fi, conspiracies, secret societies, chase novel, revolution, and vulgar-schlock to sorta tell the story about the apocalypse?

But it's not even a rea
Daysha Lawrence
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I totally struggled to finish this story. the plot had great potential; however, the story itself was awful. It felt like the author tried to write a book that would become adapted for television. By this, I mean the story had so many POVs. Even minor characters introduced for one chapter had a POV and backstory. It bounced around so much I had a difficult time keeping the different characters straight. Just as it seemed like the story was getting good, the author would throw in a random twist t ...more
David
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Dirty cops, rich girls, sadistic desperate housewives, alien DNA monsters
This was a weird, high-thrills alien invasion story that just became too weird and disjointed. Les Bohem is the screenwriter for Spielberg's series Taken, and the Hollywood feel is very much in evidence.

The first part of the book introduces us to our "hero," a dirty ex-cop whose career has gone to shit and whose personal life is a trainwreck. Tom Lombard isn't exactly a bad guy, he's just made some really bad life decisions. In the opening chapters, he's just gotten caught screwing the babysitte
Roman Kurys
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I can’t think of a more fitting story to end 2020 with.

Well, actually I can. We have “The Stand”, “Wanderers”... wait getting off track already.

The point is this story is relatable on many levels due to this COVID thingy we haven’t been able to get rid off. Some parts of the story ring very true, especially thinking back to the beginning stages of it before it went rampaging all over the world.

I really liked the supernatural elements woven into the story as well as some secret societies/Illum
Jeff
Apr 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Audible started this book with a warning that stated, "this title contains explicit language and depictions of physical and sexual violence that may be upsetting to some listeners." I should've stopped right there. This was one of the worst books I've ever encountered. Junk contained so many things that I can't stand in a book: gratuitous and overly gory physical violence, sexual violence, advanced ancient civilizations (please!), levitating witches (seriously!), warlocks, magic, aliens, psychic ...more
Noah
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is like The Davinci Code, if you injected it with the virus from World War Z, sprinkled it with American Gods, and then dropped it "headfirst into a sewer of violence" (as one of the scenes in the book is described).

I get some of the negative reviews, but IMHO this was a hit-the-gas-and-don't-let-up, wild, ultraviolent, sci-fi/apocalyptic/gore attention-grabber worthy of 5 stars. The narration wasn't great (no differentiation between voices except for one time he tried a British accent tha
David Gross
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
You get what you pay for.
Purplesnow13
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ride-or-dies
Holy Fuck Balls!!

That was a trippy and very interesting ride. I loved every bump, turn, and acceleration of it.

This is definitely a story for the "conspiracy theorist" , which is probably why I loved it so much! There's a lot of history in this story. History that the average person wouldn't know of. History that a true research lover would know. Like myself 😃... I really loved that aspect. It's a wild creative conspiracy that Les Bohem created in his interesting mind and I'm so happy he shared
Mark Vedel
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect much as I got this as one of my free books from Audible. I figured it would be a quick read as I drove to and from work. It started off slow and dark and I wasn't that impressed with the writing. However, the more I read the more interested I got. Then the plot totally changed and blossomed into something I could never have imagined. I was fascinated and blown away with the concepts and story that were being narrated. It turned out to be a great story that I am thankful I discove ...more
Shannon
Mar 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
The title suits the content. I couldn't even finish the book it was so bad. New characters and story lines were consistently introduced, making it super difficult to follow along, particularly as a listener rather than a reader. Just gory and dark. It's not even worth one star. Don't waste your time. ...more
Andrea
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I had a hard time following what was going on in this audiobook—hard to keep track of some characters. What I did follow I liked. I love John Waters and enjoyed listening to him read.
Lowell
Jul 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Terrible. DNF at 15%. Overly vulgar with no payoff, poorly written and the narration by Waters was so uselessly unprofessional that it actively detracted from the already utterly incomprehensible stupid plotting.

If you value your brain cells, give this a hard pass.

(view spoiler)
Marleen
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story starts as a fast-paced detective, veers into sci-fi, lightly touches on horror, takes a detour into a fantasy, and ends as a slow-going, confused jumble.

I wanted to like this. I was in the mood for simple, fast-paced entertainment and I like all three of the mentioned genres. Unfortunately, this book just didn't live up to "the promise of the premise." The first chapter wasn't representative of the rest of the book.

About halfway through I started skipping. The slowed-down pace was be
Wiebke (1book1review)
May 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, audiobooks
After 2 hours into the audiobooks I just didn't pick it up anymore, so decided to DNF. Wasn't into the story, didn't like the many characters that lacked everything but a name and minimal inormation/cahracterization. The story failed to grab me at all.
Admittedly I went into this blind so maybe I could have known it wasn't for me if I had heard someone talk about it.
Stelleri
May 14, 2020 marked it as couldnt-finish
I might try again at some point, but at an hour in, none of the characters are sympathetic, the descriptions are intentionally gross, and Waters reads every character in the same voice. Disappointing.
B.J. Richardson
Mar 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
It probably isn't fair that I am reviewing this book. I barely made it into the second chapter before I gave up on it.

Audible gives you the chance to choose two among a small list of audible originals each month and this sounded slightly better than most of the other selections. I started listening on my walk home and almost quit on the warning that there would be pervasive language and graphic violence throughout. But it is a short walk and I gave it ten minutes. I was barely into the second ch
Steve Betz
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars. I enjoyed this refreshing take on themes explored by "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and more recently, "The X-Files". The set-up is a world in which a plague has drastic genetic effects on the population (many die, some "evolve") and the chaos that these changes cause.

Bohem teases that the newly activated genes might be extra-terrestrial in origin, but the "whys" give way to a story mostly of the "hows". The exploration of a world where life is so under-valued as to be mea
Shannon
Mar 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I feel like there was so much damn potential with this story. Aliens hiding within the very genome of the human race, just waiting to be activated. And once activated, holy crap, the idea of such a quick and efficient takeover. I mean, you're either part of the new world order, or you're not. But this book seemed to have been written by a 13-year-old who'd just discovered cursing for the first time. No real development of the protagonist, a lot of room for improvement of the antagonist, and a pl ...more
Niccole
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Starts off a little rough. Dialogue is a little bit crass & cheesy but then things start happening & it’s hard to turn it off. Story is pretty genius...Illuminati, an outbreak, witches, murder, environmental issues, and it’s read by JOHN WATERS. Your not sure what is going to happen, as there are SO MANY different angles. Would make a fantastic tv series! Fun read. Pick it up NETFLIX.
Amanda Sassy-pants
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this. It is perfectly dark and gritty. I struggled to follow all the characters and it was at times difficult to follow the plot, but overall it was well written and great to listen to.
Lisa-marie Fredericks
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Different genre for me, hated this, don’t waste your time. Story disjointed and when it finally caught my interest went really dark. Very poorly written attempt at a Stephen King type novel.
Jon
Definitely an interesting take on the end of the world as we know it, and John Waters' narration gives it a nice, sardonic edge that helps propel the story. Worth a listen. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Darkwater Bride
  • The Dispatcher
  • Sovereign
  • Black Crow, White Snow
  • The Demon Next Door
  • More Bedtime Stories for Cynics (Bedtime Stories for Cynics, #2)
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Killer by Nature