Start by marking “Duncan” as Want to Read:
Duncan

Duncan

Published February 26th 2019 by Gatekeeper Press

To ask other readers questions about Duncan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duncan

Carolyn
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thanks to NetGalley for this book in return for an honest review. I don’t know what to make of what I just read. There is no doubt that the author has an enviable vocabulary and is vastly knowledgeable in many fields, but I found the story too incomprehensible and chaotic, despite its scholarly intentions.

The main characters are Samuel ‘Santa’ Clause, a deranged serial pedophile, who preys on young boys and then kills them.
Mark, a University professor of literature, who is conflicted about a
Kat Dietrich

Duncan by Dennis is touted as a thriller, but I disagree. This is not a thriller. I’m just not really sure what it was...part horror, part slow-burn suspense? I’m just classifying it as fiction.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher GateKeeper Press, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)
Julie is having a rough time after the catast
Edna
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Description
Anne
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This was one of the oddest books I've ever read; it's both philosophical and very dark. It follows "Santa," a pedophile who lures young boys into his van and eventually kills them. The parallel story follows Mark, a university professor, his quadriplegic wife, Julie, and 9-year-old son, Nate whose favorite stuffed gorilla, Duncan serves as a totem/protector for both Nate and Julie. I was intrigued because I really had no idea where this novel was going, but there are also some odd chapters that ...more
Angie
Mar 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
The book features a variety of themes including child abuse and disability. McCort provides an uncomfortably plausible insight into the mindset of the deplorable Santa. Thankfully I was never a Miles Davis fan or I think he'd be somewhat ruined for me now. Some sections were confusingly random, serving only to interrupt the narrative flow, and the Kafka passages feel shoe-horned in without contributing anything. The writer is clearly knowledgeable about jazz and classical music and well-read but ...more
Billie
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cunning pederastic serial killer nicknamed “Santa” is making his way up the East Coast from New Orleans to Boston, leaving a trail of young bodies in his wake. Santa covers his tracks along the way by working as an itinerant bass player in a series of jazz combos. At the same time, the Driscoll family – Mark, Julie and their nine-year-old son Nate – who live in an upstate suburb of Syracuse, New York, struggle to come to grips with Mom’s quadriplegia following a horrific auto accident. The sus ...more
BookTrib.com
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dennis McCort is a learned fellow. He’s a retired college German professor, literary translator, language buff, music expert, and author of several books, ranging from A Kafkaesque Memoir tracing his own experience in psychoanalysis to a comedy, The Man Who Loved Doughnuts. The description of one of his books says he examines the theme of the coincidentia oppositorum as it is expressed in German Romanticism, Zen Buddhism, and deconstruction. Got it.

So who could have predicted his next work would
Lectus
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Uff, definitely not for me despite the interesting insight into the mind of a pedophile. The story is divided in two: the life of Santa, the pedophile and serial killer, and the life of another family with a nine year old boy with an ape toy called Duncan.

So we go on and about the life of this family and their son Nate until finally, at 88% Santa and Nate meet and the obvious is about to take place. Except that something kind of eerie and magical happens.

I would say this had the taste of some
Sharon
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 1st book I have read by this author and I am very happy to say that he has taken what is a very touchy and emotional subject and crafted a wonderfully written story. The tension, suspense and emotion that the author is able to build throughout this story is amazing, it literally pins you to your seat and forces you to continue reading till the very last word. If you love psychological thrillers, then this is the book for you, and I am looking forward to reading a lot more by this aut ...more
Destiny Brown
Mar 19, 2019
Samantha Gonsalves
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
What a book!
I would not go so far as to describe this book a "thriller" and I probably would have given up reading halfway through it, if it were not for my need to know about the fate of Nate Driscoll. Although most parts of the book seemed stretchy and kept going on and on about random stuff that had no connection to the main plot, the ending more or less redeemed the book, in my opinion.
This book did give food for thought as it claims and and an insight into the mind of "Santa" a debolical pr
Kade Gulluscio
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to netgalley and the published/author for this arc in exchange for my honest review.

Holy hell
Trigger warning for pedophilia, disability, murder, and so forth

There are some graphic scenes that would make any normal human uncomfortable to say the least. This isn’t an easy book to read due to the topic / story line. As a mom, my heart was in my throat, and I wanted to puke the entire time I read this book.
Pat Pullum
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What goes through your mind during a power outage? For Claire Moore it is terrifying as 10 years previously she was almost killed by a serial killer. He became known as the Blackout Killer as he manages to cut the power to his victims homes.
Now although Claire has the support of her family, she is still very frightened and has made every provision to make her house secure.
She meets Paul and although he understands her fear and tries to give her as much emotional support as he can, Claire holds b
RABT Book Tours and PR