Start by marking “The Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Daughter

The Daughter

Getting pregnant as a teenager was never part of Kate's plan, but when it happens she's determined to do right by her daughter, showing her the love she never had as a child.

Life as a single mother is hard, sometimes impossible, but it only brings Kate and Becky closer together. By the time Becky is making her own way in the world as a tenacious trainee journalist, Kate co
Published June 27th 2019 by Pan; Main Market

To ask other readers questions about The Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daughter

Amanda
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

After reading Michelle Frances other books “ The Girlfriend” and “The Temp” both 5 star books in my opinion, I was over the moon to get this book and couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into it!!

Michelle Frances you have done it again!! You had me gripped from the very beginning, I swear the world could have ended and I wouldn’t have noticed as I was so engrossed in this amazing book!!

Katie had her daughter Becky when she was a teenager and bought her up single handily. She has sacrificed a lot to gi
Lou
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed Ms Frances's previous novels I was taken by surprise by quite how gripping and addictive this one was. Her books are part thriller, part women's fiction, but I usually avoid these type of books because I'm not a fan of chick lit. However, I have made an exception for Frances, as just like here, there are so many surprises to keep you entertained that it's hard to resist.

Kate is a single mother to daughter Becky, a trainee journalist who she is endlessly proud of. But when Kate st
Mark
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it

An interesting idea for a story!
Kate’s daughter Becky works as a graduate journalist for one of the UK’s top broadsheets, she is in competition for a ‘real’ reporters job and thus has a project underway to impress at the interview..
Quite shockingly she is killed in an accident, the same night her Mum’s house is ransacked, randomly...
You see where this is going?
Kate then looks into the accident more and wonders if it could be linked to what Becky was working on...
The book then goes forward as Kat
Elli (Kindig Blog)
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
When an accident leaves journalist Becky unable to finish her top secret report, her mother Kate picks up the reins to get justice. But what was she researching and what dark consequences did it ultimately have?

The Daughter was an interesting story and had a very different topic from other thrillers I have read recently. It’s quite a unique premise and one I enjoyed reading more about, I certainly didn’t expect the subject matter of the book going in! I liked that it switched perspectives betwee
Katharine Johnson
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A powerful portrayal of a mother's love for her daughter, her grief and determination to save other families from heartache. Kate's a great character who develops during the story, growing in self-confidence and even risking her life as she turns sleuth, taking up the investigation that Becky can no longer see through. I loved the relationship between Kate, Becky and Iris. Although the writing style is quite light and gentle the environmental issue at its heart is very serious and reminded me of ...more
Catherine
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ridiculously readable. What started as (I thought) a slightly cliched mother-daughter story (would they fight over the same cad?) quickly became darker, and thus more compelling. Echoes of Erin Brockovich - she's even referred to at one point - but still, a combination of the taught plot, neat writing and high, high stakes kept me reading till well into the night. It wasn't quite as literary as Ms Francis's last two novels, in my opinion, but was nonetheless massively page-turning. A great fun r ...more
Cloudjumper
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is unbelievably gripping. I was sucked into the story from the beginning and just fell in love with Kate. Don't want to give anything away but the whole time I was reading, I was on the edge of my seat wondering if she would overcome the 'Goliath' to her own 'David'.
LOL moments and tear-jerking moments and it reminded me of Erin Brockovich (and also a little bit of Educating Rita). Brilliant.
Nicki Southwell
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely surprise. I found that I was caught up immediately, and couldn't rest until I had finished. The characters enthralled.

Single mother Kate has done a brilliant job, despite her parents turning their back on her, and she is so proud of her Daughter Becky. Her spark and love of life have carried through to her career as an investigative journalist. She is working her way up through the ranks. Working towards promotion Becky is working on a story that should have the next rung up th
Vivienne
My thanks to Pan Macmillan for an eARC via NetGalley of Michelle Frances’ ‘The Daughter’ in exchange for an honest review. It was published on June 27th in an ebook edition and will be published in paperback on August 8th.

In 1995 at the age of 15 Kate had given birth to her daughter, Becky. Largely abandoned by her family she raised Becky on her own though was determined to show her daughter the love she was denied. Mother and daughter have become very close.

In 2017 Becky is working as a trainee
Paula Stammers
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
Michelle Frances does it again !! I have read both ‘The Girlfriend’ and ‘The Temp’ and loved them so was hoping I would love this one too, I definitely was not disappointed.

Kate is a single mother, who at the age of 15 gave birth and was abandoned by her family. Her daughter Becky, is now a trainee journalist and has come across a big story that she is keeping a secret until she has all the facts. But one afternoon there is a tragic accident and Kate’s life will never be the same again. Kate stu
Angela  Mellor
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Daughter is a really good read that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Kate has Becky when she was just 15 years old, her father tried to help her with the odd gift and a bit of money at the start but her mother disowned her because of this Kate has a really strong relationship with her daughter. Kate is going to introduce Becky to her boyfriend, Tim, so Becky leaves work on time but in horrendous weather and unfortunately is killed on her bicycle. Kate is distraught but finds out that Becky was working o
Molly Jane
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was truly incredible. It was a shocking and poignant tale of a mother desperately trying to keep the memory of her daughter alive.
Right from the get-go I was intrigued by the story and as I got further in I found myself caring deeply for the characters and being able to relate to Kate's unrelenting sadness and fear.
This is an intense story with an unmatchable depth and a gripping mystery.
I loved every character and found that they were all very fleshed-out and well-written (I e
Retired Seaside
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What can I say about Michelle Frances' latest book 'The Daughter'? Her first book, 'The Girlfriend' was great, the next "The Temp' was better than the first and now 'The Daughter' has excelled the other two. It is full of twists and turns throughout the book, culminating in an exciting dangerous scenario, which would be great on either on film or TV drama. Michelle has such great descriptive skills that I was in the middle of the scene I have just described, as well as other scenes depicted ...more
Kerry Henderson
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Single mum Kate is doing her best to bring up her daughter when tragedy strikes. Kate throws herself into stopping another tragedy like this happening but soon finds herself embroiled in her daughters last investigation. Was her accident not an accident?

This was a really interesting read. The story builds steadily to a dramatic climax. I did figure out who was behind it all but for a while I thought it was someone else and when proved wrong I was glad. The ending was brilliant and finished the
Jeanniehay64
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book centres around Kate and her daughter Becky. Finding herself pregnant as a teenager Kate vows to give her daughter every opportunity which she has missed out on. Her families abandonment was heartbreaking to me personally and I was willing Kate and Becky to prove to them how they could both pull through.

When Becky gets a first class honours degree an a job as a trainee journalist it seems all Kate’s dreams are coming true. Becky tells her mother she is working on something too secret a
Jayne Burnett
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Net Galley and Pan Macmillan Books for an ARC of this book in exchange for a review.
This is the first book I have read by Michelle Frances - will definitely be reading more as this story is a gripping read from beginning to end.
Kate is a single mother to Becky, she has to work really hard to bring up yer daughter alone, she is very proud of Becky as she starts her career as a trainee journalist. An accident leaves Becky unable to finish the top secret story she is investigating, so K
Natalie Daydream Reader
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it

The first couple of chapters of this book really drew me in. It certainly is a book that throws you straight into the action with a punch to the gut.

As the story unfolds, we follow a mother trying to uncover the truth about her daughter’s death. What ensues is an Erin Brockovich-style battle with a huge company in the quest for justice.

Whilst it’s not a pacy-thriller that will have you on the edge of your seat, it certainly is a page turner that poses some real questions about the farming indus
cenbookfairy_Tylwyth Teg y Llyfr.
Katie has her daughter Becky during her teenage years. She ensures that during Beckys childhood that her daughter has every opportunity and the best. Becky and Katie have an unbreakable bound and when Becky becomes a trainee journalist like any mother Katie is bursting with pride.
However something awful occurs to Becky- as a result Katie’s life is changed forever.

Katie then discovers that Becky was working on an undercover story and she takes it upon herself to investigate further.
This is a re
Linda Wilson
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed this author's previous 2 books, so was excited to have this latest one. It didn't disappoint. Kate's daughter Becky is a trainee journalist. When she is knocked off her bike and killed, Kate finds out that she was researching a story about the links between cancer and crop spraying. She decides to carry on the investigation. Although I felt the story was rather predictable, I liked the characters and enjoyed it overall. Thanks to NetGalley for a preview copy.
christine mc girr
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sad

Left wondering what happened to Kate's !mother how could she turn her back on her only child who needed her so much
Lozzie
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Daughter was a well-written story with plenty of twists and turns and kept me glued to the very end. It was thoroughly enjoyable, and I would highly recommend it.
Lel Budge
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a thoroughly engrossing thriller….Kate was pregnant as a teen and brought her daughter, Becky, up alone…..she worked so hard to earn enough to ensure Becky could have the best start and education.

She is so proud when Becky gets a job as a trainee journalist….Becky tells her she is working on something but it’s secret at the moment…..but then tragedy strikes and Kate is left to discover just what happened to her daughter.

What follows is a tense, dramatic thriller of a mother determined to ge
kate oldfield
Jess Myles-mills
May 08, 2019
Natalie O'donoghue
Jun 09, 2019
Michelle Frances graduated from Bournemouth Film School and then from the Masters programme at the American Film Institute, Los Angeles. Returning to London, she has worked for several years in film and TV as a script editor and producer for both the independent sector and the BBC.

Her first novel, The Girlfriend, became an international best seller. Her new novel is called The Daughter.

Find out