Start by marking “The Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Daughter

The Daughter

Getting pregnant as a teenager was never part of Kate's plan, but when it happens she's determined to do right by her daughter, showing her the love she never had as a child.

Life as a single mother is hard, sometimes impossible, but it only brings Kate and Becky closer together. By the time Becky is making her own way in the world as a tenacious trainee journalist, Kate co
Published June 27th 2019 by Pan; Main Market

To ask other readers questions about The Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daughter

Start your review of The Daughter
Amanda
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

After reading Michelle Frances other books “ The Girlfriend” and “The Temp” both 5 star books in my opinion, I was over the moon to get this book and couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into it!!

Michelle Frances you have done it again!! You had me gripped from the very beginning, I swear the world could have ended and I wouldn’t have noticed as I was so engrossed in this amazing book!!

Katie had her daughter Becky when she was a teenager and bought her up single handily. She has sacrificed a lot to gi
Lou
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed Ms Frances's previous novels I was taken by surprise by quite how gripping and addictive this one was. Her books are part thriller, part women's fiction, but I usually avoid these type of books because I'm not a fan of chick lit. However, I have made an exception for Frances, as just like here, there are so many surprises to keep you entertained that it's hard to resist.

Kate is a single mother to daughter Becky, a trainee journalist who she is endlessly proud of. But when Kate st
Mark
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it

An interesting idea for a story!
Kate’s daughter Becky works as a graduate journalist for one of the UK’s top broadsheets, she is in competition for a ‘real’ reporters job and thus has a project underway to impress at the interview..
Quite shockingly she is killed in an accident, the same night her Mum’s house is ransacked, randomly...
You see where this is going?
Kate then looks into the accident more and wonders if it could be linked to what Becky was working on...
The book then goes forward as Kat
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was very thrilling and also very informative. I liked most of the characters and I really like how it switched from past to present and in the view of Becky and Kate. I really liked Kate and found her very courageous and determined. This book was a really page turner and I definitely recommend it. I have read all of Michelle Frances books now and they have all been excellent so I’m looking forward to the next one already.
Ieva Andriuskeviciene
Sep 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
I haven’t even finished. Proper waste of time. First book of this author “The Girlfriend” was really good, second one very medium. This one- completely rubbish
Zoe
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gripping, propulsive, and chillingly informative!

The Daughter is an eerie, suspenseful thriller that takes us into the life of Kate, a middle-aged single mum who after the sudden death of her inquisitive daughter endeavours to seek justice and discover once and for all whether her daughter’s death was purely accidental or altogether something entirely more sinister.

The writing is sharp and intense. The characters are passionate, persistent, and consumed. And the plot told in alternating points-o
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
This book starts off slowly, building up rich, shrewdly observed characterization, tension and momentum as it goes along. We are drawn first of all into the dynamics of family relationships, and none quite so powerful as the one a mother has with her daughter.

I'm not going to give a synopsis because sometimes reviewers can say too much, and I hate that. With this book you need to come across every scene to understand the power they have. The twists and turns will send you dizzy, and make you fee
Bridget
After reading 'The Girlfriend' and 'The Temp' I was really looking forward to reading this book, "The Daughter."

It was a highly addictive and entertaining read from beginning to end. I thought the plot was so cleverly executed and I really enjoyed getting to know each of the characters and seeing how their stories developed throughout. I loved that the story was told from the two different viewpoints, switching perspectives between mother and daughter, Kate and Becky, giving me just enough flash
Liz
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Never judge a book by its cover! The cover of this one gives no clue to the story inside. A really well-written, gripping plot that was thought-provoking too. Ok, there were a few events that stretched belief but I think Michelle Frances got away with it.
Andrea Pole
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Daughter by Michelle Frances is a tense thriller that pulled me in from the very start. A compelling and troubling premise kept me fully engaged and invested in the lives of both female protagonists, and I was soon swept up in the drama of an underdog tale that evoked all the grit of Erin Brokovich.

Becky is a fledgling journalist when she stumbles onto a lead that has the potential to bring an entire industry to its knees if exposed. When the unthinkable happens, it is up to Becky's mother K
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This definitely took me by surprise. It would make a great movie.

Full review to come.
Rachel Gilbey
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had absolutely no idea what to expect from this book, and I'm in thrall of what I've just read.

It's the story of Kate, trying to do initially just get answers for Becky, and then she stumbles into something massive, and well, if I said large parts of this book reminded me of Erin Brockovich then you may have an idea as to some of the content.

In fact I could easily see Kate as Erin Brockovich and had Julia Roberts in my mind a lot as I was reading this, it's not a replica, and the motivations
Karen Barber
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Sometimes it’s the people you least expect who cause the most upset.
Our main character, Kate, fell pregnant while still at school and having a child at fifteen meant certain aspects of her life didn’t quite go as she’d expected. When the story begins we’re seeing adult Kate about to introduce her graduate daughter, Becky, to a new boyfriend.
Very early on we’re told Becky is a trainee journalist, trying to investigate something she feels is a big news story. On the night she’s meant to meet mum’s
Renita D'Silva
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Very good
Jennifer Nolan
I really enjoyed this book and I highly recommend it.
Katie
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for kindly sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.

I requested to read this book based on the fact that I enjoyed this authors previous two books. I wasn’t sure what to expect seeing that I didn’t pre the read the blurb however it wasn’t what I expected based solely on the cover. It was a quick paced thriller full of suspense, twists and turns and secrets. I was hooked from start to finish. If half stars existed this would be a 3.5. If was enjo
Dawn
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Katy and her daughter , Becky, have their perfect life. It’s always been the two of them since Katy gave birth at a 15. Tragically Becky is killed in an accident but Katy is determined to find out why her daughter died and ensure it doesn’t happen again but there’s much more than meeys the eye with this one.

I loved Michelle’s previous two books and this one was even better! Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Lisa M
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
3-4 stars, short chapters made this a very quick read and I thought it was well written and paced with enough intrigue to keep me interested. I will definitely be looking up more of Michelle's books!
Sophie Houston
Aug 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF. Dull, plodding, entirely predictable.
Elli (Kindig Blog)
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
When an accident leaves journalist Becky unable to finish her top secret report, her mother Kate picks up the reins to get justice. But what was she researching and what dark consequences did it ultimately have?

The Daughter was an interesting story and had a very different topic from other thrillers I have read recently. It’s quite a unique premise and one I enjoyed reading more about, I certainly didn’t expect the subject matter of the book going in! I liked that it switched perspectives betwee
Chanel Lindsay
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Certainly an interesting idea for a story!
I liked the plot of the story - a mother trying to continue her daughter's work, and getting justice - it's heartfelt, warm and very brave. I enjoyed reading Kate's story. However, for me, it was a slow read. It didn't massively hold my interest, there was no shocking twists or turns, and there were a few story po
Katharine Johnson
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A powerful portrayal of a mother's love for her daughter, her grief and determination to save other families from heartache. Kate's a great character who develops during the story, growing in self-confidence and even risking her life as she turns sleuth, taking up the investigation that Becky can no longer see through. I loved the relationship between Kate, Becky and Iris. Although the writing style is quite light and gentle the environmental issue at its heart is very serious and reminded me of ...more
Nicky Mottram
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audio version of this book 📚- Really good read, narration was good too .
Louise Bartrip
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good book. 1st one i have read by this authour and will be reading more. Its the fight of a young mother to bring her daughters killers to justice.
Lisa Whittaker
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Only reason it took me over a week to read is because I’m back to work! A real page turner. Highly recommend.
Creative
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Its nice and refreshing. But not the MO of her past books. A diffrent way.i kept waiting for the usual twists.but it was not a disappointment. A book for a good cause.
Lynn Vaillancourt
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A good novel but the problem was it seems to be allover the place. It jumps from one character to another and sometimes you don't immediately know who the chapter is about.
Catherine
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ridiculously readable. What started as (I thought) a slightly cliched mother-daughter story (would they fight over the same cad?) quickly became darker, and thus more compelling. Echoes of Erin Brockovich - she's even referred to at one point - but still, a combination of the taught plot, neat writing and high, high stakes kept me reading till well into the night. It wasn't quite as literary as Ms Francis's last two novels, in my opinion, but was nonetheless massively page-turning. A great fun r ...more
Cloudjumper
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is unbelievably gripping. I was sucked into the story from the beginning and just fell in love with Kate. Don't want to give anything away but the whole time I was reading, I was on the edge of my seat wondering if she would overcome the 'Goliath' to her own 'David'.
LOL moments and tear-jerking moments and it reminded me of Erin Brockovich (and also a little bit of Educating Rita). Brilliant.
Judy Odom

• Come a Little Closer
  • Keep Her Quiet
  • Beneath the Surface
  • Playdate
  • Truth or Die (D.S. Imogen Grey, #5)
Michelle Frances graduated from Bournemouth Film School and then from the Masters programme at the American Film Institute, Los Angeles. Returning to London, she has worked for several years in film and TV as a script editor and producer for both the independent sector and the BBC.

Her first novel, The Girlfriend, became an international best seller. She is also the author of The Temp, The Daughte