Start by marking “Parade: A Folktale” as Want to Read:

Parade: A Folktale

A brief, disquieting companion to the bestselling Strange Weather in Tokyo, set during a summer afternoon and featuring a mischievous pair of creatures called tengu.

On a summer afternoon, Tsukiko and her former high school teacher have prepared and eaten somen noodles together.

“Tell me a story from long ago,” Sensei says.

“I wasn’t alive long a
Published November 5th 2019 by Soft Skull Press (first published April 2004)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Parade by Hiromi Kawakami
    Release date: Nov 05, 2019
    "Part fairy tale, in which some readers will discern a moral, part gentle reminiscence of childhood’s passing miracles and memorable pains, Kawakami’s ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 779 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 05 - Nov 19, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Parade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parade

Start your review of Parade: A Folktale
    Larissa
    Read this in one sitting and it was an absolute delight. Short and (bitter)sweet, full of playful language (props to translator Allison Markin Powell for such flourishes as 'dillydally,' which add so much color to the story, but never seem out-of-step with the author's voice), and structured so as to pull you right into it. (Also loved the illustrations, which offer a completely unexpected—and again, playful—visualization of the mythological tengu.) This is a companion story to the Hiromi Kawakami's St ...more
    Books on Asia
    We received this review copy and read it in 30 minutes—it's that short. Not only is it brief, but the 97 or so pages is peppered with several blank pages (which give the reader some nice pauses), some simple illustrations (that are also captivating) and very large print. As a result, it reads more like a children's book (in a good way). It is an excellent introduction to Hiromi Kawakami for those who have never read her and just haven't taken the dive into one of her books yet. This book feels e ...more
    Christie
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This "supplemental" story was such an enjoyable treat! One that you can both devour and savor in no time. I absolutely LOVED The Briefcase/Strange Weather in Tokyo, and the chance to catch another glimpse of Tsukiko and Sensei was relished by me as a reader. If you loved the original novel, then this is a must read! When it came in for me at the library yesterday I let it bypass all my other current books! Kawakami-san, please give us more! :)
    Naomi Ruth
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: adult-fiction
    I have a weakness for both tiny books and Japanese books so when I saw this at the library of course I had to check it out. I loved it. It's a little bit quirky a little bit thoughtful and just delightful.
    Evan
    Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
    So quiet, a little story adorned with little images. Hiromi Kawakami’s Parade is a whispered interlude between life’s moments. It relates the conversation of two who have woken but not risen from a nap: Tsukiko tells Sensei of the time in her youth when two Tengu, red faced creatures, started following her around.

Kawakami reminds us of the weightlessness of some memories, how upon touching air— upon being said aloud— they practically dissolve. But they do not go away.

4/5
    Delaney Eubanks
    Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    If I book were a snack this would be it. Kawakami delights with this strange tale of imaginary. Couldn’t help but, giggle along with the tengu as they mettle in human affairs! What a lovely read. 😊
    Gabriel Smith
    Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    'Parade' is perfect

extremely short, stories within stories, like concentric circles or a spiral

you can read it over lunch, or in one bath

i loved it

it is one of those ones that will stay with me, i think

probably you as well, if you choose to read it

Afton Montgomery
    Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
    With the swiftness of dream-time, Kawakami took me back into the loneliness and intense color saturation of childhood. With this tiny book, she demonstrates her deep understanding of the human imagination and her refusal to outgrow or set aside the magic of the folktale. I loved this book.
    Tony
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Very cool little story. Now I must read Strange Weather in Tokyo!
    Olivia
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fiction, novella
    I was pleasantly taken in by this snippet of a tale by Hiromi Kawakami, and the 'story from long ago' regarding Tsukiko and his tengu.

I want to say more about why I favored this little book (both in size and page count), but I am still finding the words to do so since the feeling I am experiencing after turning the final page is that of a short film or Studio Ghibli plot. I feel a calmness, a simplicity, and a nostalgic magic from each word, sentence, and phrase.

I find the topic of
    Angela
    Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
    I read this without knowing it was a story related to Stange Weather in Tokyo. Reading it as a standalone, it was a little confusing what the relationship between sensei and Tsukiko, but the story itself can be read alone. I would like to think there's more meaning had I had context since that was the vibe I got. After I read Strange Weather, maybe my feelings will change...
    John Gillespie
    Tao
    Jun 30, 2019
    Stephanie (rooreads)
    Nov 04, 2019
    Kawakami Hiromi (川上 弘美 Kawakami Hiromi) born April 1, 1958, is a Japanese writer known for her off-beat fiction.

Born in Tokyo, Kawakami graduated from Ochanomizu Women's College in 1980. She made her debut as "Yamada Hiromi" in NW-SF No. 16, edited by Yamano Koichi and Yamada Kazuko, in 1980 with the story