Start by marking “You Have A Very Soft Voice, Susan: A Shocking True Story of Internet Stalking” as Want to Read:
You Have A Very Soft Voice, Susan: A Shocking True Story of Internet Stalking

You Have A Very Soft Voice, Susan: A Shocking True Story of Internet Stalking

This is not a typical story of Internet stalking. It is an unusual case of friendship and deception so pitiless and unyielding that it opened a door to Hell into the author’s life. This is an unforgettable story for today’s digital world driven by social media in all of its permutations and cruelest forms.

The story begins with Susan Fensten’s online search for her father’
Published February 25th 2019 by WildBlue Press

To ask other readers questions about You Have A Very Soft Voice, Susan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Have A Very Soft Voice, Susan

Start your review of You Have A Very Soft Voice, Susan: A Shocking True Story of Internet Stalking
Dita
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction and boy, is this a great example.

In 2003, Susan Fensten decided to go to an online genealogy site to look for family members on her dad's side. Two weeks later she received an email from her cousin and thus began a spiral into online stalking unlike anything conceived of in Wes Craven, Timothy Burton, and Quentin Tarrantino nightmares.

She soon finds herself the target of salacious sexual advances, all of which quickly escalate into threats of rape,
Julie
This book is a mind-bending trip!

Stalkers are the worst sort of criminal. The harassment can go on for years, completely upending a person's life. Living in constant fear makes life paralyzingly unbearable. In this case, the situation was made even worse due to the lack of protection given by law enforcement- which was especially true when this story took place. But now, with the internet and social media, stalking has become easier, more common, creepier, and even more terrifying and harder to
Michelle
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
I'll admit that I am a sucker for a good book cover and this one nails it, that's if you like creepy covers of course, and I do!

This story is absolutely bonkers and it's true which is why it is all the more frightening.

Imagine it's the early 2000's when internet, email, and social media are really beginning to take hold. You post an innocent inquiry on Genealogy.com searching for long lost relatives and to your utter amazement when two weeks later your contacted by someone claiming to be your
jv poore
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, crime, non-fiction
When I started reading this, I said that it was a bit like watching a multi-car collision in slow motion. I've finished.
Reading this book WAS like watching a multi-car crash...from a rickety carnival ride.
Valerity (Val)
You Have a Very Soft Voice, Susan: A Shocking True Story Of Internet Stalking

This is one very strange stalking story. It’s interesting, just weird as heck. Susan goes online to do a genealogy search to look for her father’s family members and finds some cousins she never knew about. She ends up in email contact with them and thinks it might be fun to have more family to know. She shares a bit about herself, and emails with Karen who tells her about her brother Leonard, and sister Sharon. Things
Gil Valle
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bizarre, Horrifying Story

This story is one of the most wild and bizarre I’ve ever read. The family that terrorized Susan seems to be straight out of a horror movie, like “The Hills Have Eyes” or something like that. But it was all true and just so unbelievably strange.

It’s hard to say too much more without spoiling anything. The story is well told and modernly relevant since it involves Internet stalking (just to start....)

This is a true crime story with incredible twists, and I highly
Bridget
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truly shocking and creepy and the fact that it is a true story makes it all the more so.

What starts out as an ordinary and innocent genealogy search becomes something else entirely in this book by Susan Fensten. I was lured by the title and initially, I had been expecting something like a thriller, however this soon became an obsessive, fascinating though rather horrific read for me. I have never had any inclination to find out any more about my own relatives so far and this true account of the
Ashley
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Wow, what a bizarre series of events this was! You Have A Very Soft Voice, Susan is a twisted tale of an internet search gone incredibly wrong. In 2003, Susan Fensten conducts a search for her father’s relatives on a genealogy website. Little does she know that her seemingly harmless query will bring her into contact with the most sinister people she has ever met. Believing that she’s communicating with her distant relatives, Susan soon becomes the target and obsession of a criminal sociopath ...more
Elle♣
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
4 stars

*Thank you to the author and Netgalley for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

This was a terrifying journey into the unexpected dangers of the internet and how susceptible and vulnerable it can easily make us to deception, manipulation and abuse. Especially when there is a mentally unstable and sexually depraved person on the other end.

The events that unfolded over halfway through the book were so chilling and crazy that it seemed hard to comprehend it all really happened.
Hana
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
You Have A Very Soft Voice, Susan is a shocking tale that goes beyond internet stalking and serves as a reminder of the importance of exercising caution online and enforcing boundaries, while at the same time shedding light on certain unavoidable tragedies. At times, it was difficult to put down as one mystery unraveled into the next and a disturbing psyche was revealed.

While the middle and conclusion of the book were thoughtful and compelling, the first few chapters were told in a seemingly
evananda
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this down, so I shut off my phones and went along for a crazy insane ride. This is a true story from the early days of social media. A weird and frightening case of cyber stalking.

The author was the victim and we follow along as piece by piece every part of her life is unraveled and seemingly destroyed over the course of eighteen months. Her fear is real, as she falls into a web of what she believes are new cousins who are all crazy and violent and their murderous friends and
Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
This book was so weird!

You Have A Very Soft Voice Susan is a true story and the story was so bizarre that I kept shaking my head and thinking, "whatt?!"
The beginning of the book was a struggle to get through as you must read through all this background that doesn't add much to the story and just tries to build suspense by telling you soon the story will get wild ...
"like a carnival of cracked mirrors with a quicksand floor with phantoms reflected in the glass"
...okayyyy.
There's a ton of just
Lee Husemann
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Susan goes on a genealogy site to look for lost relatives and things really go down hill from there. She thinks she has made contact with a relative but things soon get really weird and continue on over a couple year period. This book gets really creepy and scary but I felt it could have been shorter. Thank you to NetGalley and Wild Blue Press for the opportunity to read this very engrossing book.
Elaine's Reviews
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
One woman's online search for potential relatives on a genealogy website soon begins a descent into a hellish nightmare. Susan Fensten connects with cousins on a genealogy forum and is soon in regular contact with them, or people she believes to be her cousins.... .

This book had me gripped from the get go. I read it in 36 hours, not being able to put it down. The first half of the book is a horror story of epic proportions and practically had me looking over my shoulder. At times Susan came
Ronnie Cramer
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Totally engrossing, not to mention weird and creepy. A woman reaches out to her extended family while doing genealogy research, and soon comes to regret it--finding herself in the middle of a macabre play "in which I’d been cast without ever auditioning."
Feed The Crime
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Susan's experience was so bizarre that I had to keep reminding myself that this isn't a work of fiction. I did guess half way through how it would end, but again this wasn't fiction so that has not affected my rating.
Meow
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"You Have a Very Soft Voice, Susan “ is a definite must read for our times! There is no need to venture into the “dark net” when you can read this book. It is not a typical story about internet stalking but rather a most bizarre account of a “friendship” gone most terribly wrong. In today’s digital world where we are driven by social media, this story exemplifies the dangers of an on-line world where hiding behind a screen easily allows many to unleash their own personal evil in the most ...more
Ruthi
Apr 30, 2019 added it
It's a true story of a woman's experience finding her distant relatives that turns into a nightmare of being stalked, harassed, murder, and also cannibal slave cults, BDSM, and sex parties.. You know, normal stuff. It turns out some of it was untrue, a ruse. But, she isn't the one who lied...

I felt a connection with this book. Usually, I don't get that emotional over a book. A few year ago, I was stalked online. The stalker ended up being someone I never expected it to be. I can't objectively
Carrie Allard-levinson
I'm not sure what it was about this book but it felt like it took me forever to read. The story was interesting, there was lots of stuff going on, but I felt like I should have been at about 45-50% done and found out I was at 13%. Maybe it was her writing style?
Jean
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks, Susan Fensten, for having the courage to share your account. It must have been difficult to face the ordeals you went through yet again and to decide how to sift through all the facts to determine what to include in the book. I would say more but I would risk sharing something your future readers will discover on their own.
Shannon
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This could have been a lot shorter. I’m very sorry the author endured what she went through, but I’m also baffled at why she kept going back for more when it was quite clear these “people” were crazy. This is a story about deep and sad mental health issues, not a “true crime” book in the traditional sense. Not for me.
Lauren
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
“I thought about how so many trials and tribulations had resulted from what started as a little correspondence on geneology.com at a moment when I was feeling vulnerable and seeking connection. Genealogical websites are promising venues for useful information and possible contact with loved ones. They’re generally not known to be repositories for pain, misery, the threat of rape and cannibalism, and worse.”

Wow. YOU HAVE A VERY SOFT VOICE, SUSAN is an astonishing true crime story like you’ve
gettinglostinbooks
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dear cousin, my cousin, Oh cousin so sweet
I’ve seen where you live, i know what you eat
I want to see Your eye’s when we first meet.”

First let’s talk about that title !?
Just the name of it gives me the Willy’s and the cover is creepy which is very apt because this book is frightening.
This book is surreal , shocking, scary and crazy! You couldn’t make it up and to think that this actually happened in 2000 which relatively is not that long ago. At a time when the internet was new, the world of www.
Bjørn
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Let me join the other reviewers and declare this a...weird read.

I don't just mean the story, which is weird in itself. Approximately halfway through I became very curious about the realness of what had happened, and started googling, expecting to find articles about such a strange, high-profile case. I found nothing but variations on the press release, a few blog reviews, podcasts. By the way, the press release is misleading, as there is nothing whatsoever about social media in the book except a
Sabrina Gutierrez
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Susan's story is absolutely crazy. Her experience through an especially vicious cyber attack is terrifyingly surreal and elaborate. The extent of the stalking and bullying are so severe, it is easy to see why Susan was distraught, paranoid, and scared. As the reader, I really felt awful for Susan and worried that she would never get away from her tormentors. I flew through this book pretty quickly, and once the twist was starting to come to fruition, I couldn't wait to read more.

The reason why
Cherie
Thank you Wild Blue Press, Net Galley and Susan Fensten for sharing your story. It's a great teaching tool too.

I don't know what to rate this book, it's really good and I feel for Susan. I want to rate it a 3 due to the content but also rate it a 5 due to Susan. I have to say it's disturbing and the fear you had to go through. This book was picked up, read, put down etc.

To say this book is strange is an understatement. Innocently enough Susan Fensten decided to use a website to try and locate
Alison Simpson
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"You Have a Very Soft Voice, Susan" by Susan Fensten is a shocking and chilling account of her experience after trying to connect with family she never knew. This story will make you want to shut down your internet access, social media accounts, and ttust no one.

The author finds out about a connection to her fathers family and seeks to make contact. But what she winds up doing is unknowlingly connecting herself to a sociopath who torments her.

The writing flows well, never lost my attention.
Gillian Moore
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You Have A Very Soft Voice Susan by Susan Fensten
Thanks @netgalley @susanfensten @wildblue_press For my ARC
Publication date 26th February ‘A shocking true story of internet stalking’. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
My first true crime story for a while. Firstly, I loved the setting of this book, the gritty and dark side of New York. To say this book was a disturbing read would be a complete understatement. I absolutely raced through this and I’m still in complete shock. An absolutely
teleri llinos
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Michelle
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Friends Close and Enemies Closer

In this day and age it is still hard to believe the level of manipulation someone can do from behind a computer. Although, I figured out pretty early on who was harassing her, I was still really engaged and by the end was demanding justice right along with her. These kind of crimes are hard to prosecute and the police likely will not take the time needed to investigate because there are more pressing cases.
There were a few typos in the kindle edition but it wasn’

• Murder on Birchleaf Drive: The True Story of the Michelle Young Murder Case
  • PATHOLOGICAL: The Murderous Rage Of Dr. Anthony Garcia
  • No One Is Perfect: The True Story Of Candace Mossler And America's Strangest Murder Trial
  • Kill 'Em All: A True Story of Abuse, Revenge and the Making of a Monster (True Crime)
  • Murder in the Heartland
  • The Pale-Faced Lie
  • Lethal Guardian
  • Buried Beneath the Boarding House: A Shocking True Story of Deception, Exploitation and Murder (True Crime)
  • Evidence of Love
  • Innocent Victims
  • Love Lies: A True Story of Marriage and Murder in the Suburbs
  • Dark Secret: The Complete Story: The True Account of What Happened to Little Alex Suleski
  • Poisoned Blood
  • Where Monsters Hide: Sex, Murder, and Madness in the Midwest
  • Mine
  • The End of the Dream: The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up (Crime Files, #5)
  • Richie
  • Man-Eater: The Terrifying True Story of Cannibal Killer Katherine Knight (True Crime)
“The devil finds work for idle hands to do. —Proverbs, early 17th century.” 0 likes