Start by marking “The Wicked Sister” as Want to Read:
The Wicked Sister

The Wicked Sister

"Dionne is proving to be one of the finest suspense writers working today." —Karin Slaughter

She thought she’d buried her past. But what if it’s been hunting her this whole time?

From the bestselling and award-winning author of The Marsh King’s Daughter comes a startling novel of psychological suspense as two generations of sisters try to unravel their tangled relationships
Expected publication: August 4th 2020 by Putnam

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked Sister

Start your review of The Wicked Sister
Wendy Walker
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I won the lottery by getting a very early sneak peak at Karen Dionne's HIGHLY anticipated new novel, The Wicked Sister. It is exceptional in so many ways - from the writing to the plotting to the divine atmospheric setting - this is a MUST read in 2020. Two sisters.
Ludwig
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“...with a clarity that is almost frightening, suddenly, I remember everything.”

Boy was I mesmerized by this sinister, flawless and terrifying work of psychological suspense. Do you ever finish a book and think, “oh man, I wish I could’ve written this”? That’s how I felt about this book.

26-year-old Rachel had spent fifteen years in a psychiatric ward for thinking she killed her mother with a rifle when she was 11 years old, until...she stumbles upon new information that makes her question
Nancy
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
After her breakout debut The Marsh King's Daughter, Michigan writer Karen Dionne returns with another psychological suspense novel set in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

The Wicked Sister is a dark fairy tale. The Cunningham Family has retreated to the deep woods after their eldest daughter Diana was identified with a mental deviancy. The youngest daughter Rachel adores her big sis and only playmate. But the games Diana directs cross the border into her sick world.

Their parents are found dead and
Beth
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I predict that THE WICKED SISTER will be another winner for Karen Dionne. But remember: its title lets you know what you're in for.

The title refers to Diana. She was diagnosed as a psychopath when she was a little girl. But her parents loved her and chose to deal with it as best they could. They moved to an ideal place to do so, far from other people for Diana to hurt.

But through most of the book I wanted to scream at them, no, no, no! You have another child, Rachel, to consider!

In alternating
T. F. Allen
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of this novel and couldn't wait to post a review.

This is a deeply engrossing story about sisters, family secrets, fuzzy memories, and the absolute dread of a parent realizing she is raising a psychopath capable of murder. The current day ("Now") timeline is carried by Rachel, a young woman convinced she killed her parents when she was eleven (though the authorities determined she didn't) and who has spent several years in an institution as a result.
Renee
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020edelweiss
Rachel has spent fifteen years in a mental institution, convinced( though not convicted), that she is responsible for the deaths of her parents. Presented with evidence that she couldn't have committed these crimes, she heads back to her childhood home to uncover the truth. Told by Rachel, in the “Now”, and by Jenny( Rachel's mother) in the “Then”, a tale of a psychopath comes to life and the question is who is the wicked sister?
I have to say that the setting was ominous and as I learned more
Jillian Doherty
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’d saved the manuscript to savor, and wow was it worth it!~

With an effortless multiple-perspectives style was delightfully easy to read and follow, with nail-biting suspense, and atmospheric imagery too?!
Plus it has an interesting evergreen hook, from an entirely new perspective...!

If you read and loved her previous release, The Marsh King's Daughter, or if you're new to her writing - it's so easy to dive head first into!!

Galley borrowed from the publisher.
Amber
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh my! This was soo good, like sitting on the edge of your seat good!
Rachel spends years in a mental institution convinced that she was responsible for the death of her parents, when she is finally convinced she could not have been responsible for these actions she returned to her childhood home in the search for answers.
The different perspectives of the story are awesome because they give you and now and then approach and you get to see what Rachel is uncovering and what happened in the past
Neil
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
an excellent and somewhat troubling story of a psychopath and her family. great Christmas read in the tradition of MR James but set in present day North America and without any real ghosts, but plenty of ghoollies to scare the unwitted
Melanie Hooyenga
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to get my hands on an ARC, and I'm so glad I didn't have to wait to read The Wicked Sister! Like TMKD, this story is told in both present and past storylines, and together they lead the reader to a climax that had me gasping. (Seriously, like three times.) Dionne's knowledge of the UP brings the story to life in a way that only a true Yooper could accomplish. Well done!
Morgan Schulman
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received advanced reader’s copy in exchange for an honest review. This book was phenomenal. A review can’t give it justice. It transcended the psychological thriller genre and the family life genre. One of the best books I’ve read this year. Imagine your audiobook, plus bears. Just read it.
Jenn Willis
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fabulous! Full review to come soon! ...more
Sharon
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Absolutely loved ‘TMKD’ but this one not so much.
‘TWS’ started off well enough even inducing such abhorrently strong and appalling emotional thoughts from me of wanting harm done to a young child. Which I felt dreadfully uncomfortable about. Sadly though it then spiralled into a daft mainstream psycho thriller with too many unbelievable scenarios including the main character being able to understand living creatures, even a dead one. Too silly for me I’m afraid.
So sorry Karen, I’ll look out for
Tamara
Review to come.

Quick thoughts:

I downloaded this via EW a few days ago and started reading it because it sounded really good. It is. It's also disturbing. I had to know what was going to happen next and yet- as I began to see how the story was shaping up- I was almost hesitant to turn pages.

Shades of Baby Teeth is going to be the best way for me to describe this book........
Kendra
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
** Thank you Edelweiss+ and G.P. Putnam's Sons for the review copy of The Wicked Sister.

Part mystery and part thriller, The Wicked Sister does not disappoint. Told in both present day and past this novel tells the story of Rachel and her quest to regain her memories and learn the truth about what really happened to her parents. I couldn’t put it down. 4
Runalong
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
A nice idea but ruined by some of the stupidest character decisions and both narrators didn’t feel different enough
Brittany

• The Holdout
  • Saint X
  • Violet
  • The Assistant
Karen Dionne is the USA Today and #1 internationally bestselling author of the award-winning psychological suspense novel The Marsh King’s Daughter published by G.P. Putnam’s Sons in the US and in 25 other countries. Look for her forthcoming novel, The Wicked Sister, August 4, 2020.

Karen is the co-founder of the online writers community Backspace, and a member of the International Thriller