Start by marking “Winter World” as Want to Read:

(The Long Winter #1)

* Longlisted for the 2019 Wilbur Smith Prize for best published novel. *

A new ice age... and a shocking discovery... will change humanity forever.

In the near future, an ice age pushes the human race to the edge of extinction.

Scientists search for the cause--and any hope of stopping the Long Winter. They send probes into the solar system to take readings. Near Mars, one of
Published March 11th 2019 by Legion Books (first published February 26th 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 26, 2019
    * Longlisted for the 2019 Wilbur Smith Prize for best published novel *

Enter to win 1 of 25 SIGNED hardcovers.
    Arrives before Christmas!

Availability: 25 copies available, 3346 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 21 - Dec 13, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Winter World, please sign up.
    Alex Shrugged Just a guess: Amazon often makes a deal with the publisher/author for exclusive rights to sell on Amazon. Like it or not, it happens.
    Bionica I would not recommend this for a 9th grader. The issue isn't that the astronaut is nude and examined by the man in the story. The problem I have with…moreI would not recommend this for a 9th grader. The issue isn't that the astronaut is nude and examined by the man in the story. The problem I have with recommending this for 9th graders is the sensual nature of the exam and the sexual thoughts of the woman.

Additionally, it is VERY detailed in minutia regarding NASA and space travel. So much that is detracts from the story of saving planet earth and gets quite annoying.
    (less)

Start your review of Winter World
    Mel
    Mar 02, 2019 added it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    I'm aware I'm odd woman out...I don't want to be! I want to be in the group of A.G. Riddle lovers!
    It's not Riddle, it's me, and that's obvious by the author's hordes of fans.

My first A.G. Riddle so I have no connection to Riddle, no fond memories of previous books, and am out of my lane. As many sci-fi movies that I watch, one would think I'd like sci-fi books, but not so. I've read several sci-fi novels this year that were all highly recommended, award-winners, but nothing notable. I usually
    Christa Maurice
    Written like a screenplay, all talking heads with no chemistry between the characters. I'm not going to believe that the two main characters are falling in love just because the author tells me they are. The male MC is a total Mary Sue too. He received his doctorate in biochem on the same day as he got one in medicine. He can analyze people better than a psychiatrist. His only flaw is that he thinks people are better than they are.

I suppose he leaps tall buildings and travels faster than a
    Kate
    I knew I'd love this and I did. A compelling apocalyptic tale, set half on a freezing Earth and the other half in space on the trail of mysterious alien artefacts. Perfect premise, although occasionally a little confused during the moments of extreme action. There will be a book 2, I believe, but Winter World ends completely satisfactorily. 4-4.5 stars. Review to follow on For Winter Nights.
    Rhys Lucia
    Apr 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Very meh. It felt like an attempt to cross Enders Game with the Martian, but it fell flat. I honestly can't even remember anyone's names from the novel only a few weeks past reading it. The two main characters are a male who is a super genius, and ends up being a great leader, statistician, public speaker, and overall a Mary Sue coupled with a female who is an astronaut and crew leader but ends up being nothing more than a love interest following the male around. How great it could have been if ...more
    ANTHONY L BAKER
    Not an enjoyable read, and quite poorly written. I felt like I was forcing myself to finish the latter third of the book just so I could move on to reading something else as quickly as possible. I doubt any other book includes the word “drone” quite as many times as this one either.

The book is presented through two main characters, a Male know it all with apparently no flaws, and a female astronaut. I agree with many of the other reviews on here, the female lead turned from a strong interesting
    Andrew
    Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Even though I can’t understand how this book has such a high average rating, I have to acknowledge that and recognise that different books appeal to different readers.
    The problem for me is not the genre.
    But if you are analytical by nature and enjoy the logical puzzles posed by mystery and detective books, you will find Winter World so full of holes that the biggest challenge will be to finish the book.
    Misty
    Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    So, I’m a self-professed fan of post-apocalyptic lit, but I prefer it without zombies, monsters or “nerdy” elements that make me feel like an outsider. I was surprised, then, to find that I actually LOVED this book, in spite of the sometimes lengthy intellectual passages that explicated aspects of astronomy and space travel. What impressed me most was the character development. Author A.G. Riddle has breathed life into a variety of personas, each unique, interesting and, most importantly, ...more
    Michael Paul
    Dual first person telling not showing.

5 stars for imagination.
    1 star for style.
    Reads like a high school kid wrote it. There are two protagonists and the writing annoyingly shifts between their first person narrative. Their voices are very similar. The grammar is mostly okay, but the style is atrocious. There are many four word sentences and the dialogue lacks nuance and depth. Perhaps Riddle’s worst work.
    Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
    I really enjoyed this one. It has the making of a Hollywood blockbuster. I kept seeing the movie in my mind as I was listening to the audiobook!

It follows two astronauts, Emma and James as they attempt to save the world and discover what is bringing about a new ice-age.

Winter World
    I thought it was great, lots of action, adventure, and romance… Ok so I didn’t like the romance so much. I thought it was extremely corny. But overall it was a great book!

It was non-stop something happening. I enjoyed
    Greg
    Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I tend to gravitate toward certain genres during certain seasons. Spring, for example, is a time of hope, and so it requires the hope-filled literature of science fiction. Finding good science fiction, though, isn't easy. That's because good science fiction builds believable worlds and creates characters we care about while also blowing our minds with science and technology that's almost indistinguishable from magic. Talk about a tall order!

Winter World is good science fiction. I raced through
    Aristotle
    May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
    A smorgasbord of summer blockbuster movies.
    Independence Day, Armageddon, The Day After Tomorrow, Oblivion, with a splash of Star Trek Borg.
    Not for the hardcore sci fi fans. The plot took to long to unravel, the characters lacked a soul, and the romance was awkward. This was a fast paced easy read. Because of that i gave it a reluctant 4 stars.
    Downloading mankind's consciousness to the intergalactic cloud. Hmmm.
    How could you not know Oscar was Star Trek's Data? 3 1/2 stars.

Update July 31

I
    Landpomeranze
    [Audiobook] Another one of those books that start out quite promising and end in a big fat disappointment. I was looking forward to a SciFi novel but what I got was some mushy lovestory in space. Definitely NOT what I'd been expecting! The last few chapters were almost painful to read (or listen to). Especially when Emma and James started talking to the "harvester". (view spoiler) ...more
    LenaRibka
    DNF at 33%

Just couldn't get into this one. I didn't care about the characters and their mission.
    Not for me.
    Roz
    Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019, science-fiction
    2.5 stars?

This was fine, but nothing more. I won't pick up the sequel.
    Jerry Mount
    I've really liked all of Mr. Riddle's other books, but this one fell short for me. The premise of the book was quite good, but the execution was a bit weak. The book is named The Long Winter, but the actual "winter apocalypse" and eradication of most of mankind is not well covered at all. It is used mostly for set up to a space combat story. Sort of a mash-up of the movies Armageddon, Independence Day, and the Day After Tomorrow. Most of the book is spent on the male protagonist, who is made out ...more
    Cheryl
    Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Sci fi thriller with a frozen Earth and invaders from Space

James Sinclair is a medical doctor and a bioengineer specializing in robotics. He is a one-of-a-kind genius who also happens to be in Federal prison for the rest of his life.

Emma Matthews is a geneticist and a crew commander of the International Space Station.

Both become valuable contributors on a dangerous mission to find out what's blocking the Sun and throwing Earth into the next Ice Age.

I was surprised by this book. I guess I didn't
    Allison Rude
    Sep 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I’ve never seen so many high school level similes and metaphors in one book.
    Liz
    Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    This is a really poor book. There is no depth to the plot, and no tension between the characters. Everyone is perfectly reasonable and of course very clever with the hero being a "genius". The "love" story is not credible, you get no sense of the 2 characters having joy in each other. The hero falls in love with her practically from her photo alone (yawn) which exudes a special "energy" (yawn yawn). Throughout the book in fact, the point of Emma was hard to fathom. She added nothing to the story ...more
    Kady Monroe
    I really enjoyed this audiobook, it was gripping and entertaining. When I started listening, I didn't know it was part one of two books. Unfortunately, at the time of writing this review, the second audiobook has not been released for sale, otherwise I would have instantly added it to my library. I can't wait to find out what happens to the world and the characters in the future.
    I felt both narrators did a fantastic job on both the text and production.
    Well worth a listen.
    Yoly
    Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: kindle-unlimited
    This book was very entertaining. From the first page, it's impossible to put down. The author knows how to finish a chapter because you always need to know what happens on the next one.
    Adrian
    This book starts with an interesting concept – the world is cooling instead of warming.

Ok, so I don’t really get nitpicky about books and try to enjoy them for what they are – merely entertainment. But there was just something about this one that bothered me. I can’t really put a finger on it and maybe I didn’t fully understand things but there were too many holes and seemingly-missing-storylines. For one, the relationship between the two main characters was weird, rushed, and just convenient. A
    Karen Brooks
    Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Having read and thoroughly enjoyed A.G. Riddle’s Pandemic series, I couldn’t wait to read his latest, Winter World. Not only do I love the visceral thrill of eschatological narratives and their exploration of geo-political machinations as well as emotional and psychological trauma and challenges of facing the end of the world as we know it and how people react, but the notion of the earth becoming a winter wasteland (and the reasons behind this) were fascinating to me - very Day After ...more
    Kenneth J
    An odd book. Sure it's sci-fi with an end of the world as we know it theme but.......
    My biggest issue is that time and space appear to be irrelevant. Events seem occur out of the blue. Travel across earth happens in the blink of an eye. Engineering developments are "pulled out of hat" and always work.
    AS some other reviewers have noted, the pace of the book seems to be that of a screenplay or even a diary. It's written from a POV perspective of only two characters which is a little disconcerting
    NoBeatenPath
    Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    J.E. Hopkins
    Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Good Read

Kept me engaged and made me want more. Only occasional issue is a tendency toward exposition. Can get in the way, but not enough to kill the phone.
    Roger John Jones
    Interesting and engaging

I enjoyed this. Three stars is my normal response for a fun but not unique book. I was, as I always am, put off by pages of boring relationship blather. Also that in a dying world one would use the Citadel for the weakest. I guess the author doesn't believe in triage.
    Taylor Jones
    This book started off great but about half way through it became a bit of a chore to finish.

The parts in space were interesting despite the slow pace at times, however this felt realistic as space travel does take time.

I liked the main characters and the character development however the relationship between the two main characters felt flat, and it was painfully obvious from very early on what it was that James did to go to prison.

Overall it was an OK read but I will probably not read the
    Eric E
    Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019-read
    Interesting enough premise, but it feels like a first draft that was rushed to publish. Characterizations are flat and the first third is a bevy of conveniences (ie, astronaut is trapped in space, NASA launches a rocket to rescue them immediately). Not sure how I feel about reading the upcoming sequel...

Some unforgivable things, though:

Kennedy Space Center is described as: "The complex has over seven hundred buildings spread across almost a hundred and fifty thousand acres. It’s like a city of
    Don Viecelli
    Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    My Book Review Number 181:

This review is on Winter World (The Long Winter Trilogy Book 1) by A.G. Riddle. This is the fifth book I have read by this author. It is a Sci-Fi Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic Suspense Thriller set in the near future where the sun has lost its ability to warm the earth for unknown reasons.
    The story opens with one of the main characters, Emma, in space observing a dying world that is freezing over. Glaciers have covered most of the northern hemisphere and are quickly
    Candy | Evianrei
    Saw this book and was captured by the title and cover. Was hoping for something fantasy related, but it was sci-fi instead. Decided to give it a chance anyhow. This is my first A.G. Riddle book, and I found it a decent read.

What I liked: I enjoyed the setup of the book. The world is freezing over, people aren't sure why, and it is getting dangerous. Everyone is relocating South to safer locations where glaciers aren't going to cover them completely. The book follows two protagonists; James, a
    Goodreads Librari...: New Book Cover 1 21 Feb 27, 2019 07:40AM

• Polar Vortex
    • Extinction Crisis
    • Augmented
    • Oracle
    • Veracity
    • The Price of Time
    • 3zekiel
    • Quantum Time (Quantum, #3)
    • Extinction Countdown
    • Night of the Rat
    • Extinction Code
    • Love Lies: A True Story of Marriage and Murder in the Suburbs
    • Seed
    • Red Russia
    • Mosaic (Breakthrough, #5)
    • The Hole: Hard Science Fiction
    • The Hidden Ship
    • The Paths Between Worlds (This Alien Earth #1)
    A.G. Riddle spent ten years starting internet companies before retiring to pursue his true passion: writing fiction.

His debut novel, The Atlantis Gene, is the first book in The Origin Mystery, the trilogy that has sold a million copies in the US, is being translated into 19 languages, and is in development at CBS Films to be a major motion picture. The trilogy will be in bookstores (in hardcover

The Long Winter (3 books)
    • The Solar War (The Long Winter Trilogy #2)
    • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter Trilogy, #3)
    “A landing from space has been described as a train wreck, followed by a car accident, followed by falling off your bike.” 2 likes
    “what ultimately matters in a survival situation: the will to live.” 2 likes