Start by marking “Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1

Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1

(Invisible Kingdom #1-5)

Hugo and World Fantasy Award-winning author G. Willow Wilson (Ms. Marvel, Wonder Woman) and Eisner winning artist Christian Ward (Black Bolt) team up for this epic new sci-fi saga!

In a small solar system in a far-flung galaxy, two women--one a young religious acolyte and the other, a hard-bitten freighter pilot--uncover a conspiracy between the leaders of the most dominant
Published November 5th 2019 by Berger Books

Start your review of Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
Chad
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Visually this book is stunning. Christian Ward's art is made for otherworldy sci-fi adventures. His colors pop off the page. My one complaint would be the space battles. They are overly busy and I couldn't tell what was happening in them at all.

The book is about a society obsessed with an Amazon type company on one side and a devout religion of nuns on the other. In between is a Firefly / Futurama (a ragtag crew delivering packages) type crew on the run from both when they discover some damning
Calista
Oh geez. This started out a complete mess. It's a bunch of images and characters slapped together with little connecting threads and the reader is expected to put it together themselves. I'm tired of this lazy trend. It reminds me of Monstress. By the end, I did feel like I was beginning to understand what was going on, but it was not really enjoyable.

I wasn't crazy about the art or the characters. It's some sort of political space thriller with nuns invovled.

I don't think I will be going on
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Look, after Ms. Marvel I'll probably follow G. Willow Wilson anywhere, but pairing her with Christian Ward is just begging me to get involved. Invisible Kingdom tells the story of two women, one a trainee priestess and the other an intergalactic pilot, whose worlds will come crashing together when they expose a conspiracy that implicates both the church and the state and threatens their very existence.

Invisible Kingdom has a lot to say. It's got interesting views on religion and faith, from both
Rod Brown
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
As with Ms. Marvel, the characters are stronger than the plot, but the whole thing is quite pleasant. We have a spaceship with a ragtag crew a la Firefly on the run from a big bad corporation and a corrupt religious organization. Wilson uses the sci fi setting to make some on-the-nose but valid points about Amazon, the gig economy, and rampant consumerism.
Sara
Wow.

Just wow.

Sometimes that's all I got.

Somewhere in a distant galaxy two women are on very different paths. Vess has just taken her vows as a "none" of the Renunciation, the leading religion in her world. She has a brilliant mind and a firm belief that this is what she is meant to do with her life. Freighter pilot Grix has placed her faith in Lux, the Amazon of outer space and the most powerful corporation in the galaxy. She travels the stars making deliveries with a ragtag crew while trying to
Dakota Morgan
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I kept waiting for the big reveal in Invisible Kingdom and was somewhat disappointed to close this first volume with the knowledge that it really is just about Big Business and Big Religion teaming up to be the Big Bad. How original! The heavy-handed Amazon references were not my cup of tea. The space battles and Firefly-esque found family were much more appealing. Still, though, I really wanted a third act twist and the lack of one knocked my interest in Invisible Kingdom down a peg.

Your
Rory Wilding
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My introduction to G. Willow Wilson was reading her seminal run of Ms. Marvel with artist Adrian Alphona that introduced the world to the 16-year-old Muslim superhero Kamala Khan. Not only did this comic book push Marvels blend of heroism and domesticity to a whole new and modern level, it also pushed forward the presence of diversity and female characters in the medium. Through her Muslim background, Wilson has explored religion and diversity through her comics and with her first creator-owned ...more
El_Commutador
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Dark Horse, a publisher that usually takes risks with comic books. Unfortunately, these books dont always deliver; but when one does deliver (as in this case), it does big way.

Also, the fact that it is a comic book from (former Vertigo editor) Karen Berger's imprint, written by Ms Marvels G. Willow Wilson, with art by ODY-Cs Christian Ward, is a plus.

I like solid sci-fi comic books like this one, where cool concepts and good storytelling, meet with solid world building, all tied together
delaney
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5
I got all 5 issues in a bundle (the bookstore put them all together as a set; total of $5), so I don't have this volume but I do have the 5 issues it will contain. Which, was a good thing because all 5 issues cover the first arc of this story.

It follow nuns (Nones), space, embezzlement and government corruption. Also, space is gay, non-binary and pan. So I appreciate that the characters do not look actually female or male but a combination of the two and also very ambiguous...as space should
RG
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Tackling alot of different difficult themes into one book is hard however thr author seems to do it well however, the sense if worldbuilding and compelling world at that gets lost amongst her message.
Ed Erwin
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, sf
A promising start. Could turn into a good series.

There is some standard space-opera stuff. A crew in a small ship fights with another ship, then a bigger ship, then an even bigger one, then a still bigger one, then is finally rescued (sort-of) by the biggest ship of all.

But there are twists on the formula. Examples: space nuns (called "nones"), a flying monastery, a space shipping company that is bigger than most governments (sound like Amazon?), a government too scared to go against either the
Rachel
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All are on the path, but few are strong enough to reach the Invisible Kingdom. For the young Roolian Vess, joining the Nones is a dream come true, but her faith is tested almost immediately when she discovers her order's secret, an alliance between groups with seemingly opposing goals. This same secret is also discovered by the crew of a Lux delivery ship. Grix doesn't want trouble for her or her crew, but she's not one to back down from a fight that chooses her. By teaming up with Vess, they ...more
Shannon
Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5

Total review score: 3.6
Alexander Peterhans
I couldn't help but get bored by this. Nothing gets the chance to breathe - we get no real feeling for what the renunciation does, believes or how it operates. We get no real feeling how much the Amazonlike Lux features in people's lives beyond 'people love to get their boxes'.

So much potential for a rich world, and most of the time is wasted on confusing space battles.

The main story reminds me of the Star Wars prequels' tax negotiation plot.

The art works when it's about structures - buildings,
Jesús
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brings much-needed energy to a tired genre. Yes, it is yet another sci-fi space adventure with a cynical, wry rogue captaining a crew of misfits on the run. But for all of its familiarity, G. Willow Wilson writes character relationships as good as anyone in the business, and Christian Ward is in his element here, drawing from his gorgeously trippy work in both Ody-C and Black Bolt.

This doesnt break any major aesthetic or thematic boundaries, but what it does (space adventure), it does very, very
Shannon
This was a bit of a random pick (I think it was in the "Featured" or "Recent" section of Hoopla so I thought I would give it a shot and I'm so glad that I did! It really enjoyed both the story and the art.

For the story, I really enjoyed this arc and portrayal of the religious elements. The walking the path, how people ome to the religious centre, and what it's like when it's there. I also enjoyed the story of the crew on the spaceship, although I didn't remember who was who as quickly as I'd
Caitlin
This is a fun and thoughtful sci-fi comic. The art is gorgeous, the cast of characters is interesting, and the world is engaging. Looking forward to reading the next volume.
Andi
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NOTE: I've loved G. Willow Wilson since Butterfly Mosque, so... yeah, she's excellent.

This is excellent! Beautifully done, great storyline.

Two people from very different backgrounds find themselves thrown together when the systems that had supported them (religion for one and capitalism for the other) betray them. Does an amazing job of encapsulating some of the feelings that accompany such a betrayal - fear, loss, regret - and the need to keep going no matter what.
Crossroads Library
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
G. Willow Wilson is just, ugh, the best. I love her. This is honestly really, really cool. The way Wilson uses religion and, well, capitalism, to create this odd pairing that may or may not be good (okay, read it and you'll see it's less of a question) is honestly really neat considering her being Muslim is kind of a big part of what makes her "her" (her being G. Willow Wilson). I think having been raised in an atheist household and studying religion in college helped craft this really ...more
Hannah
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it

I wanted to like this one, and I just... didn't.

It's trying so hard to be the loveable misfit crew reminiscent of Firefly or Wayfarers or Saga, and at this point, none of the characters have enough discernible personality or chemistry to pull it off.

Loveable misfit crew pitting Space!Amazon vs Space!Religion had so much promise too...
Queen
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such cool characters and art. Slow start to the series but looking forward to seeing what the second volume holds.
Lexi
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Organized religions corrupted by intergalactic megacorporations and the space nun/space lesbian team-up determined to take them down. Plus Ward's trippy and deeply dimensional artwork. Need I say more?
ribbonknight
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read these issues as they were released. A union between G. Willow Wilson and Christian Ward makes for something breathtaking on every page. The religious Vess is one of the most interesting sci-fi characters Ive met in a long time. I look forward to seeing where this leads, but for now, even this first volume and its focus on following (or not) the path before you was a beautiful meditation on faith. ...more
Caryn
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, graphic-novels
Loved the art, but there were places where it was difficult to decipher what was going on. The story, while interesting, seemed very rushed; there was no time to really develop the characters or the plot. I would be curious to see where it's going though!
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
An excellent start to a new series. I'm going to need the second volume sooner rather than later.
Tracey
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Vess is a none (nun) who just learned that her religion has some dirty dark secrets. Grix is a transporter for a intergalactic company that has some shady dealing they don't want brought to light. They should have never crossed paths. But the secrets they find out bring them together. From there, a conspiracy plot unfolds among the stars.

I had a fun time reading this graphic novel. The art in the action scenes gets a little muddled up. Other than that, the soft lines and dark colors marries well
André Habet
I think this book is gonna get better if given time to figure itself out. This first volume, however, really didn't captivate me in the way I had hoped. Perhaps because its initial tension collapsing the rivalry between a religious order and a corporation didn't reveal enough of itself. So far all the antagonists feel fairly generic though the two leads are interesting to read and the relationships they're each entangled in do feel very lived-in. Also, this is the rare space comic where there's ...more
Katja
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-english
Eh, this sounded very promising when I came across it in the library but I was pretty disappointed. The setting has potential, it's pieced together from various cool influences. There's space but in a tight solar system (no warp drives or such here), rough 'n tough cargo ship captain, a nun kinda wavering in her faith who comes across a big secret and a big corporation dominating lives of the people.

But the execution is rushed and looks rather ugly. Vess, the nun, trusts a fellow follower just
Kristen
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quite a wild ride of a sci-fi adventure. Loved the point of view of one of the more religious characters meeting up with the gang of interesting characters. I love the dynamic and the color design of this graphic novel and cant wait to read more. An intriguing plot with lots of interesting characters. ...more
Mitchell
A firefly knockoff. But isn't everything? And being a firefly knockoff doesn't make it a bad thing. The art is cool. The characters themselves may be different species, it's kind of hard to say. I would have liked the book to start up even slower, to set the scene even more. We are definitely dropped into the middle of the story. But lot's of potential in this one. 3.5 of 5.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope
  • Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: Destined
  • Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
  • Sea of Stars, Vol. 1: Lost in the Wild (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • November Volume I : The girl on the roof
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 4: Age of Doom Part Two
  • Middlewest, Book Two
  • Ghost Tree
  • Ronin Island Vol. 1
  • Outer Darkness, Vol. 2: Castrophany of Hate
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • The Once and Future King (Rat Queens Vol. 7)
  • Man-Eaters, Vol. 3
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Naomi: Season One
Award-winning writer of comics and novels including MS MARVEL and THE BIRD KING.

Invisible Kingdom (10 books)
  • Invisible Kingdom #1