Start by marking “Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1

Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1

(Invisible Kingdom #1-5)

Hugo and World Fantasy Award-winning author G. Willow Wilson (Ms. Marvel, Wonder Woman) and Eisner winning artist Christian Ward (Black Bolt) team up for this epic new sci-fi saga!

In a small solar system in a far-flung galaxy, two women--one a young religious acolyte and the other, a hard-bitten freighter pilot--uncover a conspiracy between the leaders of the most dominant
Published November 5th 2019 by Berger Books

Start your review of Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
Sara
Wow.

Just wow.

Sometimes that's all I got.

Somewhere in a distant galaxy two women are on very different paths. Vess has just taken her vows as a "none" of the Renunciation, the leading religion in her world. She has a brilliant mind and a firm belief that this is what she is meant to do with her life. Freighter pilot Grix has placed her faith in Lux, the Amazon of outer space and the most powerful corporation in the galaxy. She travels the stars making deliveries with a ragtag crew while trying to
delaney
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5
I got all 5 issues in a bundle (the bookstore put them all together as a set; total of $5), so I don't have this volume but I do have the 5 issues it will contain. Which, was a good thing because all 5 issues cover the first arc of this story.

It follow nuns (Nones), space, embezzlement and government corruption. Also, space is gay, non-binary and pan. So I appreciate that the characters do not look actually female or male but a combination of the two and also very ambiguous...as space should
Rachel
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All are on the path, but few are strong enough to reach the Invisible Kingdom. For the young Roolian Vess, joining the Nones is a dream come true, but her faith is tested almost immediately when she discovers her order's secret, an alliance between groups with seemingly opposing goals. This same secret is also discovered by the crew of a Lux delivery ship. Grix doesn't want trouble for her or her crew, but she's not one to back down from a fight that chooses her. By teaming up with Vess, they ...more
Roy
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Tackling alot of different difficult themes into one book is hard however thr author seems to do it well however, the sense if worldbuilding and compelling world at that gets lost amongst her message.
Rory Wilding
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My introduction to G. Willow Wilson was reading her seminal run of Ms. Marvel with artist Adrian Alphona that introduced the world to the 16-year-old Muslim superhero Kamala Khan. Not only did this comic book push Marvel’s blend of heroism and domesticity to a whole new and modern level, it also pushed forward the presence of diversity and female characters in the medium. Through her Muslim background, Wilson has explored religion and diversity through her comics and with her first creator-owned ...more
Jesús
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brings much-needed energy to a tired genre. Yes, it is yet another sci-fi space adventure with a cynical, wry rogue captaining a crew of misfits on the run. But for all of its familiarity, G. Willow Wilson writes character relationships as good as anyone in the business, and Christian Ward is in his element here, drawing from his gorgeously trippy work in both Ody-C and Black Bolt.

This doesn’t break any major aesthetic or thematic boundaries, but what it does (space adventure), it does very,
Shannon
Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5

Total review score: 3.6
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
An excellent start to a new series. I'm going to need the second volume sooner rather than later.
ribbonknight
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read these issues as they were released. A union between G. Willow Wilson and Christian Ward makes for something breathtaking on every page. The religious Vess is one of the most interesting sci-fi characters I’ve met in a long time. I look forward to seeing where this leads, but for now, even this first volume and its focus on following (or not) the path before you was a beautiful meditation on faith.
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Look, after Ms. Marvel I'll probably follow G. Willow Wilson anywhere, but pairing her with Christian Ward is just begging me to get involved. Invisible Kingdom tells the story of two women, one a trainee priestess and the other an intergalactic pilot, whose worlds will come crashing together when they expose a conspiracy that implicates both the church and the state and threatens their very existence.

Invisible Kingdom has a lot to say. It's got interesting views on religion and faith, from both
Ambre Lee
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Religion, corruption, domination, sexual norms, are a few of the big ideas tackled in the first volume: Invisible Kingdom: Walking the Path by G. Willow Wilson and Christian Ward. I hate to admit that I am often confused at the beginning of many stories and this was no different; however, I just kept reading and soon I couldn't go to sleep. Connecting immediately with Vess, the girl who defied her family, left her planet to walk as a blind person in search of the Invisible Kingdom, she ...more
Neil
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Starts off with big chips on its shoulder against both a future amazon.com-like monopoly and a cult religion (ok! i'm on board!), and hints that there's going to be some world-building... but it never really happens. There are a few scenes that feel like attempts at character development, but leave you with no additional identity or feeling for the characters.

Also, it feels like the writing and art have somewhat of a nonbinary gender agenda, but poorly executed: humanoids with stereotypically
Rod Brown
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
As with Ms. Marvel, the characters are stronger than the plot, but the whole thing is quite pleasant. We have a spaceship with a ragtag crew a la Firefly on the run from a big bad corporation and a corrupt religious organization. Wilson uses the sci fi setting to make some on-the-nose but valid points about Amazon, the gig economy, and rampant consumerism.
Rana
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
So. I really struggled with this. The artwork and lettering were fabulous, the color palette used was really amazing. But the story seems to suffer from a classic graphic novel problem: not enough room to really provide depth or motivation to the characters. I'm left wanting a real novel, one with lots of words and pages.
Jenna
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art was absolutely fantastic - and for once, I wasn’t completely lost in a story where the author is giving me very little information about the world I’m trying to fall into. I am extremely excited for vol 2
Caryn
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, sf
Loved the art, but there were places where it was difficult to decipher what was going on. The story, while interesting, seemed very rushed; there was no time to really develop the characters or the plot. I would be curious to see where it's going though!
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Amazingly I was able to see G. Willow Wilson at the same time I was reading this. She is wonderful and I feel blessed to have met her briefly and heard her talk at the Portland Book Festival.

Loved this graphic novel for its visual beauty and the interesting storyline.
Lexi
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Organized religions corrupted by intergalactic megacorporations and the space nun/space lesbian team-up determined to take them down. Plus Ward's trippy and deeply dimensional artwork. Need I say more?
Mark
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
An entertaining space adventure that's prettier than it is substantial. The plot feels a little forced and as a result the big ideas are somewhat undercut. It is, however, genuinely alien and extremely colourful. Not sure I'll follow the series from here on though.
Katie Florida
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
*read issue by issue* A creative and poignant story of corporate greed of both the consumer and religious variety. I love G. Willow's writing so much, but I was absolutely blown away by the artwork. The style and the colors added so much to the world building. A delight all around!
Zachariah
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Art, great as usual. Story, only okay. Characters, forgettable. Couldn't name a single person after finishing it. Not sure if I'll continue.
Jess
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's just so PRETTY. The whole book. A really interesting concept, beautiful art, and lots to chew on. Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Daniel
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
With a ragtag crew on a freight hauler, the story seems familiar, but I am interested in following it to see where it goes. The art in this volume is beautiful!
Kevin Duvall
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series has a whole lot of two things that always do it for me in comics: G. Willow Wilson’s spiritual wrestling and a Christian Ward’s spaced-out psychedelia.
Cyndi
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well done start to a series. I want to see where it goes.
Erica McGillivray
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, women-authors
If nothing else, the art is beyond beautiful. But I also thought the story was, and I'm looking foward to move.
Oliver
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Some potential here, although the first volume doesn't present a compelling world; the web of character relationships in particular is too tidy and convenient to the plot.
Liathano
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this trade as comic floppies. Looking forward to the next series!
Margaret Robbins
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been reading it one issue at a time and have absolutely loved the art and the story.
Kevin
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
You had me at space nuns. G. Willow Wilson sets up a new comic book world that follows a faithful acolyte and a grizzled pilot who both discover a conspiracy that turns their worlds upside down.

• Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
  • "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)
  • November Volume I
  • Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope
  • Fix the World (Skyward #3)
  • LaGuardia
  • Shuri, Vol. 2: 24/7 Vibranium
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 11: Call Your Squirrelfriend
  • Skyward, Vol. 2: Here There Be Dragonflies
  • Blackbird, Vol. 1
Award-winning writer of comics and novels including MS MARVEL and THE BIRD KING.

Invisible Kingdom (8 books)
  • Invisible Kingdom #1