Start by marking “Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1: Walking the Path” as Want to Read:
Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1: Walking the Path

Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1: Walking the Path

(Invisible Kingdom #1-5)

Hugo and World Fantasy Award-winning author G. Willow Wilson (Ms. Marvel, Wonder Woman) and Eisner winning artist Christian Ward (Black Bolt) team up for this epic new sci-fi saga!

In a distant galaxy, two women discover an inconceivable conspiracy between the world's most dominant religion and an all-powerful mega corporation.

Suddenly the prey in a desperate interstellar
Published November 5th 2019 by Berger Books

Start your review of Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1: Walking the Path
Chad
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Visually this book is stunning. Christian Ward's art is made for otherworldy sci-fi adventures. His colors pop off the page. My one complaint would be the space battles. They are overly busy and I couldn't tell what was happening in them at all.

The book is about a society obsessed with an Amazon type company on one side and a devout religion of nuns on the other. In between is a Firefly / Futurama (a ragtag crew delivering packages) type crew on the run from both when they discover some damning
Calista
Oh geez. This started out a complete mess. It's a bunch of images and characters slapped together with little connecting threads and the reader is expected to put it together themselves. I'm tired of this lazy trend. It reminds me of Monstress. By the end, I did feel like I was beginning to understand what was going on, but it was not really enjoyable.

I wasn't crazy about the art or the characters. It's some sort of political space thriller with nuns invovled.

I don't think I will be going on w
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Look, after Ms. Marvel I'll probably follow G. Willow Wilson anywhere, but pairing her with Christian Ward is just begging me to get involved. Invisible Kingdom tells the story of two women, one a trainee priestess and the other an intergalactic pilot, whose worlds will come crashing together when they expose a conspiracy that implicates both the church and the state and threatens their very existence.

Invisible Kingdom has a lot to say. It's got interesting views on religion and faith, from both
Rod Brown
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
As with Ms. Marvel, the characters are stronger than the plot, but the whole thing is quite pleasant. We have a spaceship with a ragtag crew a la Firefly on the run from a big bad corporation and a corrupt religious organization. Wilson uses the sci fi setting to make some on-the-nose but valid points about Amazon, the gig economy, and rampant consumerism.
Sara
Wow.

Just wow.

Sometimes that's all I got.

Somewhere in a distant galaxy two women are on very different paths. Vess has just taken her vows as a "none" of the Renunciation, the leading religion in her world. She has a brilliant mind and a firm belief that this is what she is meant to do with her life. Freighter pilot Grix has placed her faith in Lux, the Amazon of outer space and the most powerful corporation in the galaxy. She travels the stars making deliveries with a ragtag crew while trying to
Mir
Nov 07, 2020 rated it liked it
So it's a critique of consumer culture and Amazon and... nunneries? I'd kind of forgotten nunneries still existed, tbh. Well, let's call it a critique of corrupt religious organizations, that makes more sense.

There are aliens of different colors et al cosmetic embellishments, but they basically all act like modern Americans. There are a couple pretty standard space shoot-outs.

It was okay.
Tori (InToriLex)
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbqt, comic
A solid start to a world of corporate interest, aliens, and a religious None's. The artwork is saturated and vivid. The humor is scare but organic and unforced. I look forward to learning more about this world. I will be continuing with the series.
David Schaafsma
A critique of multi-national corporations such as Amazon (named Lux here) and the Roman Catholic Church (which features here a nunnery, with "nones"), a space opera that urges us to walk "the true path" to harmony and democracy and equality. Written by G. Willow Wilson (Ms. Marvel) and illustrated by Christian Ward (Black Bolt), it's digitally futuristic, colorful, with vague-looking alien creatures. I feel a little as I did when beginning Monstress, that this is a sci-fantasy allegory which is ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I enjoyed vol. 1 of Invisible Kingdom, about a novitiate who uncovers corruption inside her order connecting to the government and connects with a spaceship crew - I feel the world is established and just want more!
Dakota Morgan
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I kept waiting for the big reveal in Invisible Kingdom and was somewhat disappointed to close this first volume with the knowledge that it really is just about Big Business and Big Religion teaming up to be the Big Bad. How original! The heavy-handed Amazon references were not my cup of tea. The space battles and Firefly-esque found family were much more appealing. Still, though, I really wanted a third act twist and the lack of one knocked my interest in Invisible Kingdom down a peg.

Your intere
Ed Erwin
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, comics
A promising start. Could turn into a good series.

There is some standard space-opera stuff. A crew in a small ship fights with another ship, then a bigger ship, then an even bigger one, then a still bigger one, then is finally rescued (sort-of) by the biggest ship of all.

But there are twists on the formula. Examples: space nuns (called "nones"), a flying monastery, a space shipping company that is bigger than most governments (sound like Amazon?), a government too scared to go against either the
Rory Wilding
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My introduction to G. Willow Wilson was reading her seminal run of Ms. Marvel with artist Adrian Alphona that introduced the world to the 16-year-old Muslim superhero Kamala Khan. Not only did this comic book push Marvel’s blend of heroism and domesticity to a whole new and modern level, it also pushed forward the presence of diversity and female characters in the medium. Through her Muslim background, Wilson has explored religion and diversity through her comics and with her first creator-owned ...more
El_Commutador
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Dark Horse, a publisher that usually takes risks with comic books. Unfortunately, these books don’t always deliver; but when one does deliver (as in this case), it does big way.

Also, the fact that it is a comic book from (former Vertigo editor) Karen Berger's imprint, written by Ms Marvel’s G. Willow Wilson, with art by ODY-C’s Christian Ward, is a plus.

I like solid sci-fi comic books like this one, where cool concepts and good storytelling, meet with solid world building, all tied toget
delaney
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5
I got all 5 issues in a bundle (the bookstore put them all together as a set; total of $5), so I don't have this volume but I do have the 5 issues it will contain. Which, was a good thing because all 5 issues cover the first arc of this story.

It follow nuns (Nones), space, embezzlement and government corruption. Also, space is gay, non-binary and pan. So I appreciate that the characters do not look actually female or male but a combination of the two and also very ambiguous...as space should
Robert
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True Seekers
Shelves: hoopla
A TRUE BELIEVER AND A CYNIC TAKE ON THE CHURCH AND...AMAZON INC.?

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

I felt this series owed a lot to Saga and similar allegorical space opera fare, but it was very earnest, direct and beautifully illustrated. I will certainly continue to seek the true path in the next volume.
Shannon
Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5

Total review score: 3.6
RG
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Tackling alot of different difficult themes into one book is hard however thr author seems to do it well however, the sense if worldbuilding and compelling world at that gets lost amongst her message.
L. McCoy
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
I feel like I should have liked this one... but I didn’t. I think it’s a case of cool ideas, bad execution.
Simply put, it’s poorly written in terms of both storytelling and dialogue. I also didn’t care for the artwork either. The characters are very bland and uninteresting. The story seems neat (even if sometimes confusing due to already mentioned poor storytelling) and it is fast paced but that doesn’t save this book.
Overall I didn’t like this one. Disliked though not terrible
Rachel
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All are on the path, but few are strong enough to reach the Invisible Kingdom. For the young Roolian Vess, joining the Nones is a dream come true, but her faith is tested almost immediately when she discovers her order's secret, an alliance between groups with seemingly opposing goals. This same secret is also discovered by the crew of a Lux delivery ship. Grix doesn't want trouble for her or her crew, but she's not one to back down from a fight that chooses her. By teaming up with Vess, they al ...more
Alexander Peterhans
I couldn't help but get bored by this. Nothing gets the chance to breathe - we get no real feeling for what the renunciation does, believes or how it operates. We get no real feeling how much the Amazonlike Lux features in people's lives beyond 'people love to get their boxes'.

So much potential for a rich world, and most of the time is wasted on confusing space battles.

The main story reminds me of the Star Wars prequels' tax negotiation plot.

The art works when it's about structures - buildings,
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
Two distinct narratives collide to uncover a conspiracy that will test their loyalty and beliefs.

The premise for this series is interesting but the execution is a bit flawed, hardly ever succeeding in creating dynamic interaction or fluid narrative development. It often felt like there were some missing parts to the story that made it seem like it was going faster than it should've.

The artwork is stunning and original, sometimes rough and sketchy, but there's a lot of potential in the colourfu
Jesús
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brings much-needed energy to a tired genre. Yes, it is yet another sci-fi space adventure with a cynical, wry rogue captaining a crew of misfits on the run. But for all of its familiarity, G. Willow Wilson writes character relationships as good as anyone in the business, and Christian Ward is in his element here, drawing from his gorgeously trippy work in both Ody-C and Black Bolt.

This doesn’t break any major aesthetic or thematic boundaries, but what it does (space adventure), it does very, ver
Shannon
This was a bit of a random pick (I think it was in the "Featured" or "Recent" section of Hoopla so I thought I would give it a shot and I'm so glad that I did! It really enjoyed both the story and the art.

For the story, I really enjoyed this arc and portrayal of the religious elements. The walking the path, how people ome to the religious centre, and what it's like when it's there. I also enjoyed the story of the crew on the spaceship, although I didn't remember who was who as quickly as I'd lik
Andrea Lorenz
I didn't know much about this going in besides outer space and G. Willow Wilson. This was excellent. I just love great world-building (especially when it's done well and is seamlessly part of the story instead of being like that whole first expository chapter) and Wilson and Ward deliver. The society feels on the nose - waiting for that LUX delivery that may bring happiness or renouncing everything and being superior that you walk the path. The illustrations are fantastic - the colors leap off t ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Obviosly, a post-Saga book that mixes science-fiction with very human (albeit alien) characters. But it's also got a dash of the rebellion of Firefly and the blunt truthtelling of The Expanse. It's a good combination, well-executed on these comic pages.

In many ways, this story feels like an introduction, as our two main characters are each cast out of their comfortable lives and sent on a journey together. Is it also a story of their lives together? It's hard to say so far, but it's interesting
Thomas
Wow. I am now somewhat sorry that I slept on this series when it debuted last year. (Not sorry because I got to binge 5 issues almost in one go.) This is amazing. I love the worldbuilding, both overt and subtle. I love the characters. And I love the art. Christian Ward's space is entirely too colorful, and I LOVE IT. It's like there's a nebula in the background of every other shot, and spaceships and engine trails are all bright and beautiful. I love the aesthetic. The plot that Wilson has laid ...more
Tasha
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A religious initiate and a freight ship captain mistakenly uncover corruption between a controlling mega corporation and a religious order. The unlikely pair team up together to reveal the conspiracy while on the run from those who would rather see them dead than have the truth revealed. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and I had no doubt that I would. It was fast paced and action packed. This is a series I will be following.
Jenny Clark
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a really interesting premise, and the art is really eye catching and colorful. If you like sci fi, this is a definite read! It's a tad on the space opera side, with many alien races and cultures, but it's not burdened by too much, while leaving so much to explore.
Caitlin
This is a fun and thoughtful sci-fi comic. The art is gorgeous, the cast of characters is interesting, and the world is engaging. Looking forward to reading the next volume.
Andi
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NOTE: I've loved G. Willow Wilson since Butterfly Mosque, so... yeah, she's excellent.

This is excellent! Beautifully done, great storyline.

Two people from very different backgrounds find themselves thrown together when the systems that had supported them (religion for one and capitalism for the other) betray them. Does an amazing job of encapsulating some of the feelings that accompany such a betrayal - fear, loss, regret - and the need to keep going no matter what.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - August 12 3 7 Aug 12, 2020 12:05PM

• Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope
  • Ascender, Vol. 2: The Dead Sea
  • Once & Future, Vol. 1: The King is Undead
  • Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • Bitter Root, Vol. 1: Family Business
  • Sea of Stars, Vol. 1: Lost in the Wild Heavens (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
  • Something is Killing the Children, Volume One
  • Undiscovered Country, Vol. 1: Destiny
  • Space Bandits
  • Crowded, Vol. 2: Glitter Dystopia
  • Monstress, Vol. 5: Warchild (Monstress #5)
  • Ghost Tree
  • Crowded, Vol. 1
  • Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Stormranger
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Family Tree, Vol. 1: Sapling
Award-winning writer of comics and novels including MS MARVEL and THE BIRD KING.

Invisible Kingdom (10 books)
  • Invisible Kingdom #1