Start by marking “Strategic Writing for UX: Drive Engagement, Conversion, and Retention with Every Word” as Want to Read:

When you depend on users to perform specific actions--like buying tickets, playing a game, or riding public transit--well-placed words are most effective. But how do you choose the right words? And how do you know if they work? With this practical book, you'll learn how to write strategically for UX, using tools to build foundational pieces for UI text and UX voice strateg ...more
Published July 9th 2019 by O'Reilly Media

Start your review of Strategic Writing for UX: Drive Engagement, Conversion, and Retention with Every Word
heidi
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I got a review copy of this book.
Further disclosure: Torrey is part of the pink-haired tech people. We are legion.

This book is a snappy and sharply-focused exploration of the words that make the magic happen in user interfaces. Podmajersky accurately identifies places that more needs to be said, and then avoids them, because this is not that book. It's honestly inspirational to me as a writer, and it keeps this book very tight.
In many ways, it reminded me of Kathy Sierra's amazin ...more
Radoslava Koleva
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
I'm glad I finally read this book: it is a proper product copy revelation.

Let me tell you a short story about the company I work at: some time ago we recognized we have 'a problem with the words' when it comes to CX but we could never pinpoint what it was exactly and how to fix it. So we hired two senior copywriters with no CX/UX experience and guess what - 9 months later the problem still exists and we still don't know how to solve it.

UX writing is a speciality on its own and I'm so happy to
Anastasiia
Nov 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I opened this book to get to know how to write good error messages. What I learned from it though is so much more than just “good ux copy”. The book offers lots of insights on establishing ux content strategy in your organisation.

First few chapters give a perfect overview of the notion and purpose of ux writing. Frameworks, methods, tools, practices and as a cherry on top, detailed guides on how to deal with different ux patterns (titles, buttons, labels, etc).
Besides that the author describes
Adam
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Strategic Writing for UX is a clear and focused introduction to UX writing. It establishes a clean definition for what exactly UX writing is, validates the need for UX writing as a distinct role, and illustrates how it fits in with the numerous, often ambiguously-defined user experience and product design responsibilities.

The core of the book outlines what an effective approach and process for UX writing looks like using model app interfaces for demonstration and context. I see this as a valuabl
Brandon Smith
Apr 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the book I wish I'd had to reference back in 2018 when I was writing a voice and tone guide for the company I was working for. I did alright without it, but Podmajerky brings an elegant depth to the idea of voice and tone that I, in my rather novice experience with the subject at the time, really could have benefited from. The good news is that I'm assisting with voice and tone once again at my new company, and am currently the primary person responsible for the way we communicate within ...more
Natalía Papadopoúlou
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
I’m overly enthusiastic about finding this book. UX writing is a sub-field in product design that is just starting to bloom and this book is so well structured that made me wonder why couldn’t we have such a book for UX design 10 years ago. Seriously, I got so jealous of having such a clear process of how a UX writer works that would be reckless for anyone in the product design industry to not read it. One day designers will work closely with UX writers to deliver the message an Organisation nee ...more
Nathan D. Riggs
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
While this book doesn't add too much to your arsenal if you've been dealing with UX for quite some time, it does serve as a great primer for remembering what matters--and more importantly, why it matters. This is especially helpful for UX novices, as it focuses on "real world" applications, but in some key ways the book will serve anyone who takes the time to read it regardless of experience. It's a short read, but one that deserves plenty of note-taking and highlighting, as there are some sente ...more
Prinses
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on UX Writing

A super practical and genuinely useful book on writing for UX. It considers where the industry is at the moment, and what UX writers (and their teams) need to do to succeed.
Meagan Roach
Jan 30, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ui-ux
This book largely focuses on technical writing for user-clarity. It has a large focus on verbal logic, while maintaining awareness of user-affordances and heuristics. The book strikes a good balance in exploring a mental model of how to make decisions about what you are communicating in your technical writing and why. By outlining the strategic goals of different techniques (I.E. personality, information focused, etc), it can help create team consensus on direction and excecution, but it helps e ...more
Thomas Resing
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
By far the best book for my day to day work as a UX writer at Microsoft. It helps that the author has experience working for Microsoft. However, she brings a broad perspective beyond more than one role at Microsoft.
What I love most about this book is that the author provides relevant examples across industries. It's short enough to read the whole book. It's comprehensive enough to provide guidance for a large set of people in this emerging field.
Highly recommended to anyone in a technical field
John Tangney
Aug 21, 2022 rated it did not like it
I got nothing out of this book. Perhaps that was due to the clunky, awkward writing style, frequent grammatical errors and misused words and idioms. This alone makes me suspicious of someone whose job it is to communicate. There goes trust.

To make it worse, there was a notable absence of citations to back up sweeping assertions (none of which I especially disagree with, but still.) I find it useful to know why a pattern language evolved — again, it’s that trust thing.

Overall there is really not
Elissa
Nov 12, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This will now be my bible. It's already flagged and underlined, but I'm going to put it on a shrine and refer to it whenever the product lords are testing me.

If you're getting started in UX writing, transitioning from copywriting, or if you're a member of a product team you should read this book, inhale this book, live this book.

It's single-handedly helped me create UX processes for my company from the ground up, and has been more of a practical tool than any course. I'm infinitely grateful to
GagaMil
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: content-books
If you're an aspiring UX writer, you can't miss this one. It's one of those books that you'll get to use in your work right away and you'll keep rereading it as you (and your company's UX maturity) grows. The author shares practical examples – so there's no generic, abstract explanations – and suggests specific action points to help you create UX copy that meets the goals of your user and your organization. ...more
Melanie
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finally, a design methodology for content!

Torrey's book gives a quick overview of UX writing as a discipline (including its importance), but very soon delves into the details of how to actually do the work. This book is an invaluable resource for both new UX writers/content strategists and the design teams who wished they had one.
Bryan
Aug 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This is more of a 3.5 than a 3, but you know...goodreads doesn't allow that.

Great content overall, but the process is skewed towards Enterprise sized companies, and less towards startups and smaller teams.
Alex Carbajo Regueiro
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s a good starting point. Podmajersky explains what worked well for her during this years as UX writer in companies without this role before she joined.

It would be nice to see in few years the next step. How to work at scale with UX writing
Pan Pan
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A well-structured book with clear examples, personally recommended solutions, and summaries at the end of each chapter. Easy to read and take notes of! It cleared my thoughts about UX content. I am happy to start paying more attention to UX writing with the lead of this book. Thank you, Torrey!
Aleksandra
Mar 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book definitely gets a special spot on my desk, as an everyday reference. It's thoroughly researched, insightful, perfectly organized and fun to read. I'd recommend it to everyone working with any kind of digital content. ...more
Chloé Thibaux
Jun 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2022
The hands-on guide I wish I'd read a year ago, before any other book or article on content strategy.
It provides real first-hand, concrete information and guidance on how to actually do the work, and is full of useful tools and advice that can be put into practice immediately.
Jade
Jun 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing
As a new and developing UX writer, this book is quickly becoming my holy text for breaking into the field and working on projects. What a resource! Smart, straightforward, and immensely helpful. Highly recommend for folks doing UX writing or content design of any kind.
Robert Heckert
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super helpful, insightful book that covers one of the most fascinating writing careers.

A must-read to excel in UX.
Greta Fedaraviciute
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice little book, it gave me a few ideas on how to improve collaboration with writers.
Lana
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The first book I've read that details exactly what UX writing is AND includes how to project plan a UX content review with a new team. Definitely keeping this at my desk. ...more
Jrene
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on UX writing. Everything you need to know to write, work with the team and get started in a company. Very hands-on. love it!
Asiye Sertçakar
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
The book won't tell you about punctuation or when to use capital letters but you will get great answers for your 'how' and 'why's. ...more
Sara
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and easy to understand but not dumbed down. Great supporting images too.
Lou_GilSayan
Jul 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must if you want to initiate yourself to UX Writing.
Full of insights and example it is a true companion to improve your writing in your day to day work.
Autumn Kotsiuba
Good for absolute beginners
Jeremy Wright
Mar 14, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Quick read. Very interesting. Enlightening in the ways of media interaction.
Jason

• Nicely Said: Writing for the Web with Style and Purpose
  • How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody
  • Just Enough Research
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • The Bitterroots (Highway Quartet, #5)
  • Conversational Design
  • The Mind-Gut Connection: How the Astonishing Dialogue Taking Place in Our Bodies Impacts Health, Weight, and Mood
  • Eat Complete: The 21 Nutrients That Fuel Brainpower, Boost Weight Loss, and Transform Your Health
  • Whose Story Is This? Old Conflicts, New Chapters

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

It’s hard to believe the year 2022 is already coming to an end. That went fast, didn’t it? Still, there’s just enough time to wedge in a...
“We need to understand the cycle from the point of view of the people who will use the experience, to meet them where they are” 0 likes
“While the organization attracts, converts, onboards, engages, supports, and transforms, the person investigates, verifies, commits to, sets up, uses, fixes, prefers, and champions the experience. By realizing this difference in perspective and focus, the organization can more effectively address what the person is there for.” 0 likes