Start by marking “Things That Art: A Graphic Menagerie of Enchanting Curiosity” as Want to Read:
Things That Art: A Graphic Menagerie of Enchanting Curiosity

Things That Art: A Graphic Menagerie of Enchanting Curiosity

Lochlann Jain's debut non-fiction graphic novel, Things That Art, playfully interrogates the order of things. Toying with the relationship between words and images, Jain's whimsical compositions may seem straightforward. Upon closer inspection, however, the drawings reveal profound and startling paradoxes at the heart of how we make sense of the world.

Commenta
Published October 3rd 2019 by University of Toronto Press

Start your review of Things That Art: A Graphic Menagerie of Enchanting Curiosity
Etienne
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
A very unique kind of book/art. One page painting, all title, «Things that are...» and then a lot of little sketchy illustrations of stuff that are or aren’t. Original and kind of unique, but was is god or interesting in an artistic way... not in my opinion!
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
René Magritte is famous for painting a picture of a pipe that is labeled "This is not a pipe". Now you may ask how that makes sense. But, it does, because it isn't a pipe. It is a painting of a pipe, not not an actual pipe itself.

This book goes further. It is a series of illustrious that are and aren't things. Lochlann Jain is trying to distrupt ways of knowing, with a slight kick of humor added.

This book can be read as just plays on words, and you can skip the commentary, but if you do skip it, you will lose part o
Dasha Slepenkina
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-reads
A big thank-you to NetGalley, the author, and publisher for giving me a copy of this book for an unbiased review.

1.5/5 - It was okay, not my type of book.

I was initially interested in this book because of the lovely illustrations on the cover and the concept of grouping things into categories with the ultimate goal of subverting categorical thinking.

I realized very early on that the book would not be a pleasant, light read. The introduction had me googling words and concepts, takin
Esther
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.>

What I want to say first of all is that this book made me laugh out loud. Some of the things in this book were so funny and really spoke to me. I think the book would be even more fun if English was your native language. My English vocabulary wasn't big enough to get all of the drawings and all the meaning behind it.

A longer review can be found at BiteIntoBooks

A fun book, for people th
Shruti Ramanujam
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful novel!

Things That Art invites the reader to be a little more curious about the world and the concepts we learn in it. I did not expect a novel of art to make me think this much!

Read the entire review on This is Lit.
Gemma
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Curious is a good word for this book.
basically a collection of illustrations, slightly strange and very unique.
I found it quite amusing but it wasn't really my idea of art and I found I was not as interested by the end, and found it a little repetitive and boring.

Judi Easley
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: art teachers
Recommended to Judi by: NetGalley
Fascinating concept and artwork, FRC closer to release date. 3-stars

Things That Art
A graphic menagerie of enchanting curiosity
Lochlann Jain
University of Toronto Press
Sep 17, 2019, 114 pages
Art & philosophy, languages
Provided by NetGalley
⭐⭐⭐

The cover initially drew me to the book with its macabre and whimsical artwork. This is the artwork the author uses throughout the book. The colors and the subjects don’t seem to go together
Jason Muckley
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Things That Art: A Graphic Menagerie of Enchanting Curiousity” by Lochlann Jain is a very unique “art” book. It has a way of causing the reader to reconsider common expressions and representations of things that Jain categorizes in different sections by placing things together that both go together and then don’t really fit.

It is an art book in that each page is a different collection of items or phrases illustrated by a picture all with a common theme or word that ties them togethe
Jeff
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This unique, non-fiction, graphic novel is clever and thought-provoking. Jain uses art to explore anthropology and the association of things, thoughts and expressions through groups of drawings. An interesting concept.

I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Linda Hill
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A series of drawn images with commentaries.

My word – or should that be ‘my image’? I don’t think I have encountered a book quite like Things That Art before and I’m not quite sure how to review it. I actually ‘read’ this book three times before attempting to summarise my thoughts. I loved the title Things That Art. Whilst it describes the contents of the book perfectly, it also generates the question, ‘Things that art what?’ so that the reader is immediately drawn into a more inquisi
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Things That Art Lochlann Jain invites the reader to pause a moment and ponder how we choose to classify and categorise. More than that, it is an invitation to expand ones way of thinking and viewing the world. Interspersed between the artwork are several essays that lend further insight to the art lists themselves. Some of Jain's categories fit with my own way of thinking, or only needed a mild adjustment in thinking. Others required more of a stretch of the imagination on my part. I enjoyed ...more
Lara Lillibridge
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the art and the word association the groupings trigger.

As a writer, this would be a great book to start the creative process flowing on those days when you don’t know what to write about. The wordplay and the linking of abstract yet related thought in each assemblage of images often spin-off in unusual directions that I really appreciate.

I found the essays much less compelling and found myself skimming through them. I didn’t want someone else’s opinion on the art and artist,
Theediscerning
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
One and a half stars.

What does some tie dye, roadkill, and your nose have in common? They all might bleed. And here they are – formulated on tiny images and pinned to the category of 'things that bleed', along with others. There are lots of categories here, each with between six and a dozen things, and sometimes there is fun to be had in the surprising entry, where word play or a different sense has been used to cram the thing in. But that's it as far as this book goes – you can ditc
Reading Tam Ishly
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is so damn satisfying to read like how I would exactly feel after popping a damn annoying pimple on my nose.

The cover is amazing and the description well to the point.

Coming to the contents, the introduction is detailed and well connected to what's coming on in the later parts.

The illustrations are concise and upto mark.

This book can be read by anyone as it's just like a picture book but for an adult like me, you will well relate. It's like connecting your thoughts with the outside
Jennifer Muller
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I  received a free digital copy of this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

This book was definitely different. Not your average persons idea of art, for sure. Some of the pages include: "Things that are not things" (age, color, light), "Things with Resolution" (New Years, photography), and "Things that are traces" (ash, footprint). Each includes little pictures. It is definitely a unique concept for an art book.
Smote
Jun 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
On the whole too repetitive and monotonous to rate more than a single star. The writing is far more interesting and while some of the connections provide an introspective view, on the whole, it's a silly play on words that goes on a bit too long.
J.D. DeHart
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful words combine with images in this volume. The result is strong, enticing, and just the kind of book to be valued and shared. I am glad I have the opportunity to preview Things That Art by Lochlann Jain. Recommended reading (and viewing).
Rachael Louise
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating work on the arbitrary categorizations which surround us, and the power they hold in our everyday existence
Ζωή Παππά
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Even though I’m not an artist I was interested in this book and it didn’t disappoint. I’ll be honest I had some trouble following sometimes but I still enjoyed it. Especially the artwork.
Lianne
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quirky, edgy graphic novel! I found the juxtaposition of visual art and superb writing excellent! I recommend Things That Art by Lochlann Jain.
Hanie Ghaderi

• Fowl Language: Winging It
  • Seeing Gender: An Illustrated Guide to Identity and Expression
  • Mooncakes
  • The Voice of My Mind
  • The Little Book of Big Feelings: An Illustrated Exploration of Life's Many Emotions
  • All Cats Are Introverts
  • The Rose That Blooms in the Night
  • Sorry I Ruined Your Childhood: Berkeley Mews Comics
  • Footnotes: A Journey Round Britain in the Company of Great Writers
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • Undercover (은밀한 잠입 수사대)
  • Specters: Karma
  • 终于和黑粉同居了 [Finally Living Together with my Anti-Fan]
  • Not a sugar daddy
  • Here U Are
  • 남수가 기다리는 목욕탕 [Following Namsoo to the Bathhouse]
  • Nectar
  • My Pet Slime (My Pet Slime Book 1)