Start by marking “Moon Rush: The New Space Race” as Want to Read:
Moon Rush: The New Space Race

Moon Rush: The New Space Race

Veteran space journalist digs into the science and technology--past, present, and future--central to our explorations of Earth's only satellite, the space destination most hotly pursued today.

In these rich pages, veteran science journalist Leonard David explores the moon in all its facets, from ancient myth to future "Moon Village" plans. Illustrating his text with maps, g
Published May 7th 2019 by National Geographic Society

To ask other readers questions about Moon Rush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Rush

Start your review of Moon Rush: The New Space Race
Robert Yokoyama
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moon Rush is a book that opens my eyes to the immense potential of the moon. The moon's soil has a element called Helium 3. This can be a source of nuclear power, and this means that a settlement can be established on the moon. Every piece of information fascinates me in this book. I am curious to learn how water can be extracted from the moon. I am also curious about hydrogen and oxygen can be extracted from water to create rocket fuel. I am equally curious to learn how uranium and thorium can ...more
Shawn Gray
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Apparently we have been trying to return to the moon for the last 30 to 40 years and I didn't even know it. It was recently discovered that there may be ice within permanently shadowed regions of the lunar surface, potentially providing a source of water, oxygen, and rocket propellant. Harvesting these and other resources may help to transform the moon into a training and testing site as well as a jumping-off point for further space exploration.

An enlightening read that cover the moon's past an
Melissa
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been a science fiction fan practically forever, but my love of science fiction led me to want to know the real story of our solar system. For years, the definitive view of the American space program has been Maury Chakin’s book From the Earth to the Moon, which is a detailed look at the Apollo missions (it’s worth a read, by the way).

But now, as we approach the fiftieth anniversary of that historic first moon landing, we are looking at the moon in a new light: as a possible launch pad for m
Lisa
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Quite an in-depth look at humans' travels to the Moon and back, and what we hope to accomplish in the (near and not-so near) future.
Did you know there are still sealed samples from the Apollo missions locked up at NASA, just waiting for newer technology to emerge so we can study them in new ways (p.88)? Or have you ever considered just how much of a challenge it was to engineer a flag that could withstand the heat of the Moon but still appear to be flying (with no atmosphere) (p.92)?
Leonard Da
Myra
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
It's fun to see the pictures, interesting to learn basic history of the moon missions, and whimsical to imagine the different futures of the moon. If you are interested in our space ventures, it's a fairly short read, with some images, on a subject closer to home than Mars and faraway space travel.

I found the language and writing smooth and easy to read during most of the factual portions, but a lot of it was too wordy in my opinion.

I was not familiar with any advantages to putting bases or sett
Joan
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Veteran space journalist Leonard David looks at the moon . . . the myths, the theories, the aspirations, the future . . . as the fiftieth anniversary of the first manned lunar landing approaches. Illustrated with both photographs and artists’ renderings, the narrative examines lunar exploration from the days of the Cold War space race to the plans for returning to the moon. Readers can examine plans for returning and staying in light of current strategies and private industry efforts. Previously ...more
Nick
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a very readable and interesting explanation of why we should be devoting resources. It does devote quite a lot of space to the still-in-progress development of Helium-3 fusion, which would probably be a huge benefit to lunar development if it works, and without major side effects. There's also a bit of hopeful speculation about lunar resources.
On the other hand, the book does a great job of suggesting the directions that space exploration could go, benefiting from a lunar spri
Brian
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This work is very timely, set to capture present excitement and interest. It summarizes the past efforts to visit the moon and how this relates to present endeavors. I understood the technical details and history, but perhaps that is why I did not feel like it contained anything novel. It serves as a good, "present day" summary, but I did not walk away thinking that this veteran journalist has learned things that I have not.
Kevin Barnes
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We should go back to the Moon. This book is a nice explanation as to why we should go back. Our way forward is to the Moon and beyond. Great work Mr. David. By starting out with the history of Moon exploration was a great way to keep me interested. I watched the Moon lading in '69 in my Grandfathers home and in the '70s I always hoped we would go back after Apollo 17. We need to return and I feel this book gives a solid argument as to why we need too.
Kimmarie Pozar
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins
Great book that covers science in a simple to understand way. Written so high school students should easily digest this if they are looking for information and middle schoolers if they are interested in the subject will be able to understand also.
Benjamin
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
More an exercise in cheerleading than a roadmap. I learned a few things about China's & Japan's current efforts. The chapter on the new lunar race involving billionaires instead of nations sounded promising, but again it turned out to be light on details. Decimal Star Rating: 3.3 of 5 ...more
Gregp
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
7 out of 10
Nic
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book! Lots of information and history about our hopes and dreams to get back to the moon. Lots of exciting things coming in the future!!
Robert
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Leonard David’s latest book, Moon Rush: The New Space Race. His story synthesizes a succinct review of the past, the present, and what is to come, with respect to exploration, and soon, the exploitation of our tidally-locked Moon.

The run-up to the first landing on the Moon was described with the Ranger, Surveyor, Lunar Orbiter, and Genesis programs, all conducted by the United States during the 1960s as a reaction to the Soviet launching of Sputnik and in response to the challenge iss
James Francis McEnanly
A comprehensive guide, for now

This book details the history, and probable future of Lunar exploration and development. It is meant for the interested amateur, covering a moderately broad expanse of the subject.
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Moon Rush: The New Space Race by Leonard David talks about the history of man getting to the moon and suggests a path forward to the satellite which we, for all intents and purposes, abandoned. Mr. David is a space & science journalist with a long and distinguished career behind him and the 2010 winner of the prestigious National Space Club Press Award.

I’ve read several books about the race to the moon and the moon landin
Sharlene
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
’ve read many works of fiction that are set in space, watched many movies and TV shows set in space, but I’ve never really read much nonfiction about space.

And you can rest assured that you are in good hands here with journalist Leonard David, who has been reporting on space-related news for over 50 years.

The race to the moon began in the 1960s, between the Soviet Union and the US. But today it is a very different landscape – in January, the Chinese landed a spacecraft on the far side of the moo
Lizabeth Tucker
A closer look at how the moon could be revisited and what could be done with a base on our satellite.

I had to drag out some old science braincells to make it through this book. Hardcore space science junkies should enjoy this, but...frankly I can't say I was overwhelmed. The author, a veteran space journalist, goes into great detail on both science fact and supposition. David gives history of the original missions to the moon in enough detail to satisfy readers who have already delved into that,
Jonathan
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An overview of all things moon related from how the moon was created - giant meteor hit the still forming earth and matter was flung out, or variations of that....it seems remarkable that for all the incredibly complicated things we know about the world and universe that a relatively simple question like this remains unanswered. On to a survey of the moonl landings and the Soviets get their due, they did land a lot of rovers and gizmos on the moon, on to Apollo and finishing up with the prospec ...more
Erin
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of where we’ve been and where we’re going. Science fiction honestly doesn’t seem that far off the mark, in some cases. Like the proposal of a “space elevator?!” WHA?!?!
Dianne Chowen
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Often, when reading hard-copy non-fiction, I'll underline significant sentences...thoughts that really "speak to me". I think I used up several pens while reading this book.
Jason Milligan
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• American Moonshot: John F. Kennedy and the Great Space Race
  • The Only Woman in the Room: Why Science Is Still a Boys' Club
  • Cold Turkey: How to Quit Drinking by Not Drinking
  • Space Race: The Epic Battle Between America and the Soviet Union for Dominion of Space
  • The Management Myth: Why the Experts Keep Getting it Wrong
  • The Bulletproof Diet: Lose up to a Pound a Day, Reclaim Energy and Focus, Upgrade Your Life
  • The Secret of Happiness: Discovering the Source of Contentment, Peace, and Joy
  • Bella Bella
  • When We Were Vikings
  • King of Sting: The Story of Australian Conman Peter Foster. An Audible Original
  • Martin Van Buren: A Captivating Guide to the Man Who Served as the Eighth President of the United States
  • Dan Rather: Stories of a Lifetime
  • Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War
  • The Donovan Legacy: Captivated & Entranced (Donovans #1 & 2)
  • The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur: The Tell-It-Like-It-Is Guide to Cleaning Up in Business, Even If You Are at the End of Your Roll
  • Don't Know Much About Geography: Everything You Need to Know About the World but Never Learned
  • The Way I Heard It