Start by marking “The Therapist” as Want to Read:
The Therapist

The Therapist

In this bittersweet and hauntingly surreal tale, a couple finds the distance between them mirrored in a strange epidemic sweeping the globe. Little by little, each victim becomes transparent, their heart beating behind a visible rib cage, an intricate network of nerves left hanging in mid-air. Finally, the victims disappear entirely, never to be seen again.

‘I dreamt that w
Paperback
Expected publication: September 26th 2019 by Fairlight Books

To ask other readers questions about The Therapist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Therapist

Amalia Gavea
‘’It’s as if someone is cutting into me while I sleep and gradually stitching weights into the muscles and tendons of my body. And though it’s not debilitating I find it harder each day to fight to the surface.’’

A married couple is trying to cope with the tragic loss of their onlychild while a strange illness is sweeping over the USA. Starting from Oregon, it spreads all through Washington, Nevada, Idaho and soon the entire country becomes a victim caught on deadly claws. Sudden fever hallucina
Joseph
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite its virulence, little is known about the disease. They say that it attacks the brain and spinal column. That victims suffer encephalitis-like reactions. Lethargy, confusion and changes in personality are all common. The media report cases of grandiose delusions and memory loss. Some hear voices, other see impossible realities. All eventually disappear.

A previously unknown, fatal disease grips Oregon and then, eventually, spreads across the States. As panic mounts, the narrator and his wi
Meredith Miller
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is meticulously crafted. It blends Gothic and dystopian genre effects with a modernist narration reminiscent of Anais Nin's novels and H.D.'s HERmione. Like Nin, Giacomelli uses surrealist imagery that personifies psychic forces and creates an architectural sense of the unconscious. The novella's allegorical tendencies never reduce the complexity of its emotional landscape. This is a story about grief and loss, but also about how the social fabric of our world shapes our most personal ...more
CuppaWords
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The Therapist” by Nial Giacomelli is a surreal examination of our grief and how it shapes us. Told by an unpredictable narrator, “The Therapist” captures the reader, an innocent pendulum, and hurls us into the unknown. As we vacillate between two storylines, dipping ever so briefly into one before being violently flung to the other, each swing, each turn of the page, chips away at all that is familiar to us until there is only a shell of a person, and then nothing at all. In this nothingness, h ...more
Jen
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fiction, uk
Another novella from the Fairlight Moderns series, The Therapist by Nial Giacomelli is a heartbreaking meditation on loss and guilt.

A devastating disease ravages the USA from West to East, causing mysterious symptoms, delusion and euphoria, and then the disappearance of the body. At the same time the (unreliable?) narrator and his wife struggle to deal with the loss of their young son in a tragic accident.

Told in breathtakingly beautiful prose, this is at once a haunting study of grief, a post
Chad Guarino
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Nial Giacomelli's The Therapist, part of the Fairlight moderns novella series, is a searing meditation on loss expertly juxtaposed with a world ravaged by a devastating disease.

The story focuses on a couple who have lost their son recently to an accident, and is told from the husband's point of view as he attempts to deal with the conflicting emotions associated with the accident as well as attending therapy sessions with his detached wife. As they navigate their new normal, a new disease crops
Amy Riddell
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Therapist is the second of the upcoming Fairlight Moderns novella series which I managed to get my mitts on, and the first to blow my tiny mind.

A strange illness blooms on the West coast of America, one which causes rapid physical deterioration in its victims. Their skin reddens and their eyes bulge outwards, as if the very flesh is being siphoned from them. Then, at last, they begin to disappear altogether, their frantically beating hearts the last to fade into nonentity. The disease is une
April A.  Taylor
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Therapist is a beautifully written novella that explores the nature of grief. When the story begins, we learn that the two main characters have suffered a horrible loss. Around the same time, people start coming down with a horrifying illness that causes them to literally fade away to nothingness.

Expect the unexpected from the unreliable narrator. He doesn’t want to remember the truth, so he tells himself - and the reader - a lie that’s only slightly more comforting than his reality.

The au
Katrina
4.5

A beautifully crafted novella which focuses on a couple after the devastating loss of their young son. Told from the husband's point of view, The Therapist charts the couple's life and their struggle to fight for their marriage in the wake of their son's accident, going so far as to seek help. If this wasn't enough, a bizarre pandemic, causing panic and terror, begins to mercilessly sweep across the country leaving nothing in its wake.

This was an excellent read and difficult to confine to one
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
This review and others can be read on my blog, Black Forest Basilisks. Thank you to Fairlight Moderns for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

“I sit perfectly still and try to visualize the internal mechanics of my own body. To disassemble my molecular structure. To reduce my body to its purest form. To release a lifetime of guilt and regret. Until I am left with only the goodness in me.

But I find the person who remains unrecognizable.”

The Therapist by Nial Giacomelli was more th
Rachel
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent writing, compelling story.
Isabella Kratynski
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Therapist by Nial Giacomelli is a slim novel with weighty aspirations. It's wholly atmospheric and a little strange.

I didn't enjoy this book much, and most of that's on me. It covers depressing subject matter, the kind of emotional drama that just isn't my jam. It's about grief, a couple dealing with grief, and I think I can just leave it at that so as not to spoil anything for you. I have yet to read a book that takes on grieving as a theme in a way that resonates meaningfully with me.

I did
Aug 16, 2019
Lindsey Woollard
Cristie Underwood
Aug 17, 2019
Kate (Looking Glass Reads)
Aug 17, 2019