Start by marking “Who Put This Song On?” as Want to Read:
Who Put This Song On?

Who Put This Song On?

In the vein of powerful reads like The Hate U Give and Girl in Pieces, comes poet Morgan Parker's pitch-perfect novel about a black teenage girl searching for her identity when the world around her views her depression as a lack of faith and blackness as something to be politely ignored.

Trapped in sunny, stifling, small-town suburbia, seventeen-year-old Morgan knows why s
Expected publication: September 24th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Who Put This Song On?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Put This Song On?

Adam Dalva
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came into this YA novel (out 9/24) as a huge fan of Parker's poetry, so I'm not surprised that the language shines or that the imagery is fantastic. But more: the plot is gripping and relatable - a girl, an outsider, stuck in suburbia, wanting to break free, trapped in many ways. Beyond the excellent romantic imbroglios and school issues, the novel takes on mental health issues and race in wonderful, important ways - it is also very funny, and a pitch-perfect recapturing of a time and place (t ...more
Sami
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who Put This Song on? is the most accurate depiction of teen depression and anxiety I've ever encountered and will be an automatic recommendation for anyone going through a hard time. The dichotomy of Morgan's space as a young African American woman in a mostly white high school and her desire to fit in with other outcast groups is also really beautifully explored here.
Mya Alexice
This was SO GOOD. It's 2008 and Morgan is a black girl amidst a mostly all-white suburb struggles with racism, depression, liking boys who only like white girls, and finding her place. Really amazing stuff. Finished reading in 2 days! What a fantastic debut novel by Morgan Parker. Can't wait to see what she does next.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of WHO PUT THIS SONG ON? by Morgan Parker in exchange for my honest review.***

2.5 STARS

As a teen, writer Morgan Parker feels like an outsider. Her christian high school hardly has any other black kids and her white therapist doesn’t get it. Morgan is suicidally depressed with anger and sadness her most prominent symptoms.

WHO PUT THIS SONG ON? is a niche book that will probably appeal to a narrow group of readers and for that reason, I
Kristen
I wanted so badly to like this book. Morgan Parker was a featured author at a dinner I attended and when talking about this semi-autographical story she was hilariously honest about the struggles she endured during her teen years that led to the writing of this book. I put it at the top of my very tall TBR pile and couldn’t wait to dive in.

Unfortunately, the book isn’t as funny and engaging as the author is. I understand that it’s about mental illness but I found it very difficult to read. The m
Leah Rachel von Essen
Who Put This Song On? by Morgan Parker was one of the most lovely YA contemporaries I’ve read in some time. Parker’s novel captures what it was like to be a teen in 2008 superbly. Morgan, the main character, is a real teen with real depression struggling to feel normal, already a black emo girl at a mostly white school, and now she’s going to therapy and struggling with her meds.

Parker has said that much of the novel is based on her own life, and it shows: together with her sheer writing talent
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly honest and open YA novel that is somewhat memoir-istic in prose with wit and control and awareness. This is a spectacular book about what it's like to have depression, be Black (in a space where that's weaponized against you), and ableism in all it's forms and what folks can do better. WHO PUT THIS SONG ON? doesn't preach it portrays reality and gives space for the main character, Morgan Parker, to FEEL and be okay with that. It's a journey and it's hilarious and it has real moments f ...more
Slaa!!!
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere between a 4 and a 5!! I think my favorite thing about this book was the fact that it was semi-autobiographical. I really like Morgan as a person and it was cool reading her story as a teenager, or however much of it was her story!! Because it was true to life, it felt a little meandery with no solid happy ending. But that’s understandable and realistic! I did enjoy it very much, I enjoy Morgan’s voice, her way of viewing the world, and sense of humor. And I appreciated that it presente ...more
Trisha
Surprising, lyrical and authentic
Amber
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from BookCon 2019 and Delacorte Press in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I would like to open this review by touching briefly on how much I liked Morgan Parker’s writing style. This novel is poetic without being flowery and it all flows together so well. There was such an amazing balance of description, dialogue, and events and I never felt like I was being “told” something. There’s a
Shanna Miles
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morgan is a California girl but she’s far from typical. Fresh from a suicide attempt and on the shaky ground of recovery, she’s figuring out how to deal with parents who don’t understand her moods (though, she doesn’t really understand them herself), and how to continue to survive as one of only a handful of Black kids at a private Christian school. She doesn’t look like the other girls, dress like the other girls and she prefers Emo to Hip-Hop. Firmly outside of what passes for normal at her sc ...more
Shannaka
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars actually... I wanted so bad to like this book but I have to be honest....

The book follows Morgan, an African American girl living in white suburbia and attends a predominately white school. She has depression and anxiety and receives counseling for it. She struggles to fit in with her pro black views and seemingly 'liberal' political views. I do like the fact that she isn't the stereotypical black teenager -- only listening to rap music. Her environment may have a hand in this. The flo
Susie Dumond
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morgan feels cursed. She's clinically depressed, and she's struggling to communicate about it with her family and friends. And in her mostly white California suburb, her teachers, classmates, and even her friends have a way of making her feel like an outsider. So when no one around her gets where she's coming from, how can she figure out who she is?

This is an incredibly raw, real novel that pulls from Morgan Parker's life and teenage experiences. It's not plot-driven, and I think that's a streng
Kim
This very autobiographical story is so full of heart. I loved getting to know both Morgan the author through her notes at the beginning and end of the novel, and Morgan the character. The music and TV references put the reader firmly in the 2008 setting.

Morgan the character’s first-person narration allows such transparency as she navigates depression and anxiety, white privilege, and so many micro aggressions. Morgan the author knows how to write authentic teens dealing with a variety of issues.
Ms. Yingling
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Interesting and timely, but more YA due to language and situations.
Sierra
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not fully follow the writing style. The flow and pacing of the book felt veryyyyyyyyy off.
Alyssa
Jul 09, 2019
Kelsey Senteio
Aug 16, 2019
Elizabeth
rated it did not like it
May 23, 2019
Antonia
Jul 30, 2019
Iany Mcgrawn
Nov 23, 2018
Morgan Parker is the pen name for a shy and introverted former banker. Given the nature of his former career and his unique childhood upbringing in a trendy, white-collar town West of Toronto, Mr. Parker made up plenty of stories to stay employed and to avoid the responsibilities of adulthood. His novels are a product of those stories.

Mr. Parker believes that all great novels involve realistic cha