Start by marking “We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)” as Want to Read:
We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)

We Hunt the Flame

(Sands of Arawiya #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  12,603 ratings  ·  2,903 reviews

People lived because she killed. People died because he lived.

Zafira is the Hunter, disguising herself as a man when she braves the cursed forest of the Arz to feed her people. Nasir is the Prince of Death, assassinating those foolish enough to defy his autocratic father, the sultan. If Zafira was exposed as a girl, all of her achievements would be rejected; if

Published June 14th 2019 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published May 14th 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

We Hunt the Flame

Release date: Dec 01, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win a paperback copy of WE HUNT THE FLAME by Hafsah Faizal!

"Lyrical and spellbinding" —Marieke Njikamp, #1 New York Times Bestse

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 5726 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 24 - Dec 01, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about We Hunt the Flame, please sign up.
    Hafsah Faizal It does not! The characters live in a fantasy world inspired by ancient Arabia. In the real world, the region has far more religions than Islam alone.…moreIt does not! The characters live in a fantasy world inspired by ancient Arabia. In the real world, the region has far more religions than Islam alone.

That said:
    1) I didn't feel comfortable mixing Islam with fantasy/something so unreal.
    2) I didn't want my identity to be paired with my debut.
    3) WE HUNT THE FLAME is further proof that Arab =/= Muslim and vice versa.(less)

·  12,603 ratings  ·  2,903 reviews

Start your review of We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
    chai ♡
    I thought of various ways to preface this review; I was even tempted to embroider, to sugarcoat, to essentially reinvent, but now it seems, in the interests of candidness, most expedient to come to the point: I really did not like this book. And none is more stricken by this than me.

The spell We Hunt the Flame tries to cast does not land. My memory of the story vanished as quickly as a breath blown over cold glass. My indifference was such a palpable thing that my turning the last page was accom
    Hafsah Faizal
    Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    UPDATE: if you're in need of a glossary and pronunciation guide, look no further!
    _______

The first ever "review" for my book. The story of my heart. The characters who tormented me for four years until their plight reached the written page. I can't wait to share this story of a girl, a prince, a general, elves, and a world worth fighting for.

Thank you to every soul who adds this, reads this, and cherishes this. ♥
    may ❀
    full review posted

i cant even begin to explain how much this book means to me (but im going to try and fail with this review) i'm just so happy to see a middle eastern inspired fantasy get so much hype and recognition, I could weep

but we aint here to cry (yet) we’re here to scream until our voice gets hoarse (BC IT WAS SO BLOODY GOOD)

Writing/word building:

the arabian world that Hafsah built felt so vibrant and concrete to me. the descriptions, the imagery, the eloquence of the language
    jessica
    Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    ‘we hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves.’

wow. i am pleasantly surprised by this! i think it helped that i didnt have any expectations going in and that i was totally in the mood for some exotic ancient arabian magic. so this is just what i needed!

the main thing carrying this story is definitely the arabic representation. it just gives the story a lush and cultural feel that is much needed in the book world. had you taken that away, would this still be wort
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    May Owlcrate Box! Click on the link below my picture to see all of the goodies!

THE GOODIES

I hate when I don’t like books with freaking awesome covers!!! 🤬

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
    Hamad
    This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“ People lived because she killed.
    People died because he lived.”

Disclaimer: ARCs provided by the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review!

🌟 I have been waiting patiently for this book since it was in the writing stages and was recommended to me! I mean a fantasy with Arabian Settinng written by a Muslim Author? I couldn’t ask for more!

🌟 Now the book had a solid start, the first two chapters have
    Kerri
    Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    i had an opportunity to read this early and i'm pretty jealous of myself :) this book is INCREDIBLE and i'm pretty sure i've found my book husband.

official blurb:

Hafsah Faizal’s voice is not one that simply speaks, but sings across the page. WE HUNT THE FLAME is a spellbinding tale filled with deception, political intrigue, and atmosphere that lives and breathes—I am obsessed with this story.
    Kiki
    Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    description

Let’s talk about expectations.

As a longtime follower of Hafsah Faizal, I was initially excited for the release of We Hunt the Flame. But by the time it was due to release, my long-standing interest in YA had waned. I was resoundingly tired of it. So I went into this with a sort of resignation, which was the same way I approached most YA reads in 2019. Having said that, I made an effort not to let my personal reader fatigue colour my opinion of this book. After all, it’s not up to Hafsah Faizal t
    Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
    THE REVIEW IS POSTED

I dived into this book ecstatically because it sounded so good and intriguing and honestly I thought that I would love this book after reading it. well, the book was indeed good but I have to admit that I didn't love it. I wanted to love the book but I couldn't. I liked this book though and I did not regret spending my free time by reading this book.

The writing style in this book was pretty and I liked it and I also loved that this book made me open dictionary a lot because
    ✨ A ✨
    “We hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves.”

Zafira is a huntress who disguises herself as a man, also known as the Hunter of Demenhune to help feed her starving village.

Decades ago when magic disappeared a curse fell on each of the caliphates of Arawiya and a dark and dangerous forest known as the Arz is slowly taking over the land.

When a mysterious Silver Witch appears with the opportunity for Zafira to free magic, she knows that it is her lifes calling to
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Oh here we go again! Sorry but not sorry, I didn’t fall in love or fall out love with this book so I’m giving my three full stars and getting out of here!

Another Switzerland book put me in the middle which normally I don’t like grey areas in my life but now I know how Christian Grey feels! (Or not! I’m not sexy sociopath! I’m regular kind of absurd, crazy redhead!) I didn’t love it but I didn’t hate it, too. Singing why don’t you just wait me in the middle, losing my mind just a little (I’m actu
    Clem (the villain's quest)
    “Be as victorious as the name I have given you, and bring the desert to its knees.”

⭐️⭐️ angry stars.

Instagram | rant on youtube

description

I know, I read this book a week ago and I'm only writing this review just now. I KNOW I SUCK. And now I don't remember 70% of the book because it's that forgettable and it's been a week.

Anyway, do I even need to present We Hunt The Flame? It's been all over booktwitter (and I'm not even on it) and everyone keeps talking about it. It hit the NYT Bestseller list alrea
    Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
    Book: I'm a cross-dressing fantasy epic with stolen artifacts and Middle Eastern influences

Me: Cool, that sounds amazing.

Book: Also, there's going to be an enemies to lovers romance where the prince is probably going to try to kill her at some point.

Me: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MOTHERFUCKING MONEY
    Cristina Monica
    After finishing a fast-paced, action-packed YA Fantasy book (Wicked Saints), it was hard getting into a slow-paced, thought-driven story. I was going to say ‘‘character-driven’’ because there’s a lot of saying hello and goodbye to different people, but the protagonists are not particularly three-dimensional and it’s a very descriptive novel.

I don’t mind description as a general rule because it helps set the scene and helps us understand why certain characters are behaving in unexpected ways. I d
    Roshani Chokshi
    I had the opportunity to read this debut as an advanced reader copy, and enjoyed it so much I gave it a blurb! Here's my official take: “A sparkling debut, full of mystery and magic, vivid characters and rich language.” Also, I cannot express how happy it makes me to see so much fabulous representation for women of color. I wish I had this when I was younger!
    Aneeqah
    May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fantasy
    Buckle up, because it's story time.

I first joined the online community as a YA book blogger. I remember absolutely loving the bookish people I met, both via blogs on Twitter, but also feeling isolated. Because there was no one like me in the community.

Until I stumbled onto a little blog called Icey Books, run by Hafsah Faizal.

I watched Hafsah grow her blog into one of the most popular sites, start a kickass design business, and create the most beautiful of author websites. She's always been s
    Brittany
    Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: owned-tbr
    ugh I already wrote my review but idk where it went. Will revisit this (the review) later
    Azraa F
    Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites, fantasy
    Nasir Ghameq entering your life:

description

DISCLAIMER: THE PRINCE OF DEATH IS MINE AND I WILL FIGHT ANYONE WHO TRIES TO CLAIM HIM

Fanna
    October 30, 2020: We Hunt The Flame burns brightly in passion and fierceness to prove, to live, and to save those you love—including oneself—from the dangers seeping in through oppression and tyranny at the hands of a ruler, at the hands of a father, at the hands of a cursed cold choking one's house.

read this review on my blog!

A young woman disguised as a man dips her hands into the icy forest for food and survival, a young man whose loyalties as an assassin lies with the king is on his toe
    may ➹
    this book did a complete 180, and instead of falling asleep reading it, I have fallen in love with it

// buddy read with picasso (tag later)
    Angelica
    So like...I forgot I owned this book. To be fair, I only bought the book for shallow reasons. It was 85% for the hype, 12% for the cover, and 3%  for the premise. And to be honest, a lot of hype, and a pretty cover, and a somewhat interesting premise is all this book has going for it.

This is a story that you've read before. You've already met these characters. They are enemies turned lovers who start off on opposite sides and share different ideals that will be discarded/ ignored as they fall in
    Vibur
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    We Hunt the Flame was the stuff of vapid angst and painfully dull epiphanies and oh-gods-not-this-bullshit-again.
    Or to be straight to the point, it was the stuff of tropes. Not that there's anything wrong in writing tropes. The problem is how they're written.

First off, I should point out the protagonists are literal cutouts of tropes, like, literal flat, paper-thin, person-shaped cut-outs. Put together, the two of them have all the personality of dead tumbleweed. The problem was, there wasn't
    April (Aprilius Maximus)
    3.5 stars!

Thank you so much to the publisher for sending me a review copy!

Okay, here's the thing.
    The first bit and the last bit of the book = LIT
    The 300 pages in the middle = LIT...ERALLY NOTHING HAPPENS

Things I loved:
    - the writing is GORGEOUS. Faizal has an actual gift, it's so beautiful.
    - the feminist undertones. It's clear that the main character lives in a world where women are oppressed and is fighting to change it.
    - ENEMIES TO LOVERS!!! (literally enemies - he's a murderer/assassin who
    Jessica Khoury
    Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I was so fortunate to read this early! Richly imagined, intricately woven, cinematically told. It’s Hunger Games meets An Ember in the Ashes.

My official blurb:

“Fresh, bold storytelling populated with vibrant characters marks Hafsah Faizal as an explosive new voice in fantasy. Charged with adrenaline and romance, WE HUNT THE FLAME held me enthralled and desperate for more!”
    Tomoe Hotaru
    It took three months and a literal quarantine from a literal world plague to (force me to) finish this book. But that aside, I am hereby coining a sub-sub genre of YA Fantasy, namely Your Standard POC Romantasy and this book was the camel that broke my back, my dudes. That's not how the saying goes, idc.

So let me help save you the time and money. If you have read any one of these books, any single one, or anything written by their respective authors:
    Candle and the Flame
    Girls of Paper and Fire
    Fla
    Asma
    I LOVE THIS BOOK. ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE PRECIOUS CINNAMON BUNS AND I SHALL WAIT UNTIL AN OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS IS REVEALED BEFORE I SAY MORE. It's basically like Assassin's Creed meets Lord of the Rings meets the Hunger Games in an alt-Arabia.
    ✨    jamieson   ✨
    “A thousand leagues and a thousand sands. For you, a thousand times I would defy the sun.”

OH this book disappointed me so badly, in the end, I barely want to spend any time reviewing it.

The only thing I have to say I enjoyed was the atmosphere, the setting, and the different creatures in the world. The rest was a slog to get through, boring characters, a boring plot in which nothing happens. All they do is talk around the desert, randomly get attacked by things for a chapter, then walk arou
    Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
    I loved this with all my heart!

RTC

---------

Your girl got an ARC! 😍
    Umairah | Sereadipity
    "We hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves."

Plot: 3/5
    Characters: 4/5
    Writing: 4/5

We Hunt the Flame was a book about discovering and owning your own identity against the backdrop of a world inspired by Ancient Arabia. I liked it but I still felt underwhelmed by its.... 'averageness' especially because it was one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

It was set in a fictional country called Arawiya that was divided up into caliphates. It used to have magic but
    Jeann (Happy Indulgence)

This book was a mindblowing experience. It was everything I wanted out of a story inspired by Arabian Nights and also the characters are so broody and I wanted more of them?

Some thoughts on the book:
    - Altair is my favourite, in all of his flirtatious, confident glory. In fact he was the shining light in this whole book.
    - It's so quotable and filled with beautifully written descriptions.
    - Loved the magic and the desert setting, with all the ifrits, magi, Tale of the Six Sisters, Sultan

• Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
    • Sorcery of Thorns
    • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
    • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
    • House of Salt and Sorrows
    • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
    • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
    • The Shadows Between Us
    • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
    • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
    • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
    • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
    • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
    • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
    • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
    • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
    • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
    • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
    Hafsah Faizal is the New York Times bestselling author of WE HUNT THE FLAME and WE FREE THE STARS. She’s the founder of IceyDesigns, where she creates websites for authors and beauteous goodies for everyone else. When she’s not writing, she can be found dreaming up her next design, deciding between Assassin’s Creed and Skyrim, or traversing the world. Born in Florida and raised in California, she ...more

Sands of Arawiya (2 books)
    • We Free the Stars (Sands of Arawiya, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Bow down, readers. We've rounded up the most popular royal books in the young adult fandom. How are we qualifying their noble...
    “We hunt the flame, the light in the darkness, the good this world deserves.” 133 likes
    “Heart of my heart. Moon of my soul.” 89 likes