Start by marking “Bear Is Awake!: An Alphabet Story” as Want to Read:
Bear Is Awake!: An Alphabet Story

Bear Is Awake!: An Alphabet Story

In this delightfully different alphabet book from the creator of Extraordinary Jane, a curious bear makes a new friend.

Suddenly "awake" in the middle of winter, a "big bear" explores a "cozy cabin," which Bear of course "enters excitedly." But the cabin isn't empty--a little girl lives there. So begins an unlikely friendship and an unexpected adventure as the girl attempts
Published November 26th 2019 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Bear Is Awake!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Is Awake!

Start your review of Bear Is Awake!: An Alphabet Story
Alex  Baugh
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
One winter morning, a hibernating bear wakes up, and makes his way to a cabin, ringing the doorbell to be let in. The little girl who lives in the cabin doesn't know what to do with the bear, so she ties a silly yellow hat on him and they head off to the library. Along the way, people reactions to the bear are hilarious, and where do they first go? To the library, of course, where bear joins story time while the girl reads a book about bears. Then, it's off to a grocery store, and home again. ...more
Josiphine/Tessa
A clever alphabet book with great pictures.
Tasha
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When bear wakes up in his den under a tree, he heads down the road to find a cabin. He rings the doorbell and meets the little girl who lives there. After he devours all of her food, she is rather grumpy, but she has an idea. She gives the bear a hat and they head to town. They first go to the library to listen to stories. Then to the market where the bear must learn to be nice. They head back to the cabin and feast on pancakes together. After some quiet time, the little girl and the bear head ...more
Chris
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Any book from Oklahoma author/illustrator Hannah E. Harrison earns a resounding A-OK. “Bear is Awake” is Harrison’s newest, a charming tale.
Using the letters of the alphabet, Harrison tells the engaging story of a curious (B) “big bear” who cuts his zzz’s short to ring the doorbell of a (C) “cozy cottage” in the woods belonging to a blonde who’s cute but terrified, (E) “eek,” when the beast enters her abode to get (F) “food, food, food, food, food, food.”
The girl’s emotions get (G) grumpy when
Raven Black
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not usually a simple Alphabet person, but this book might only be a handful of words to show you the letter, but it is packed full. The subject is no A is for Apple but I for Intrigued. The illustrations are radically detailed with beautiful, realistic images (or as realistic as a bear in an Outrageous outfit can be). And not every page covers all the words you can find with that letter yet does not go over-the-top with that. Perhaps the letter L is my favorite just because of the fun facial ...more
Jana
I love the way the simple text and the lovely illustrations come together to tell a story about friendship and being good stewards of our natural world. There are many awesome ABC books, but this one does a great job of building a story succinctly. This could be a terrific mentor text for young writers looking for a unique way to share their own stories.
Kristen Milton
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
I love children's books that feature bears. There seem to be so many, but I don't think they will ever get old. This book was very cute. It's an alphabet book and there is a bit of a story with it, which was surprisingly refreshing! The illustrations are beautiful and some of the words paired with each letter are a bit more thought provoking for a children's book.
Kelly
Nov 22, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, animals, abc
I am a huge Hannah E. Harrison fan and a meh alphabet book like this fan because I don't think they read very well. However, I love this book. The illustrations tell so much of the story which makes it more interesting. The bear is so fluffy it could be a stuffed animal. It reminds me of a Frosty the Snowman story but with a hibernating bear. It is really sweet and adorable.
Andrew
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Though only told in keywords in order of the alphabet, the illustrations tell an even bigger story all their own. A bear wakes up midwinter, and finds a girl in her cabin. Bear makes a mess, so she sets off with him to get supplies to help him settle back in for the season! Super adorable; I would love to meet this bear.
Great Books
Bear is taken through an adventure through this ABC concept book. Each page is beautifully illustrated with bear and his friend that is a little girl. Every letter has a corresponding word that can help early readers identify beginning sounds. Reviewer 6
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet-books
Awake, curious, goofy, and causing lots of genial trouble.
Beth
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love that Hannah Harrison takes the ABC book format and manages to fit an entire story in with it.
Steph
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
So cute and creative! Each letter tells part of the story... what a cool writing activity this would lead to in a classroom! :-)
Trish
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It is clever and the illustrations are priceless. It is more than an alphabet book.
Tonya
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is now my favorite alphabet book!
Jillian Heise
This is not your typical alphabet story. Hannah E. Harrison is one of my favorite picture book author/illustrators, and this one is a delight! An entire plot with very few words. LOVE it!
Linda Atkinson

• A Stone Sat Still
  • Small in the City
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • Just Because
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • Grumpy Monkey Party Time!
  • Fly!
  • I Want a Dog
  • Little Libraries, Big Heroes
  • Five Minutes: (That's a Lot of Time) (No, It's Not) (Yes, It Is)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »