Start by marking “The Impaler's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Impaler's Wife

The Impaler's Wife

Legend, history, and passion collide in this gritty, evocative, and sensual story about history's most notorious prince and the woman who paid love's ultimate price.

The year is 1464. King Matthias controls Hungary, his family, and the fate of the world’s most notorious political prisoner, Prince Vlad Dracula.

Ilona Szilágy, the king’s cousin, is young and ambitious. D
Published April 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Impaler's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Impaler's Wife

Start your review of The Impaler's Wife
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
DNF @ 12%

I had high hopes for this dark gothic historical romance. Unfortunately, I found the tone to be too modern and light for a dark historical romance. I don't know if that changes further into the story, but I know I don't have the patience or desire to continue.
Erin
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

Vlad the Impaler is one of the most important rulers in Wallachian history, but few today are as familiar with the truth of his story as they are his bloody reputation and literary alter ego. Taking her cues from the oft-overlooked historical record, Autumn Bardot pulls back the curtain to reveal the man behind the myth, the circumstances that molded him, and the woman who stood at his side.

Historical obscurity makes Ilona a
Amy Bruno
I've been fascinated with Vlad Dracula since I was a little girl. Don't judge, I was a little macabre as a kid :) I haven't read much about him as an adult so I jumped super quick to pick up The Impaler's Wife and I am so glad that I did. It's phenomenal! Author Autumn Bardot expertly crafted a fascinating look into Vlad's life and his relationship with his wife, Ilona. I did not want to put it down!

It was dark, twisted, passionate, sexy, and absolutely riveting!

The Impaler's Wife starts off at
Stephanie
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lady Ilona Szilágy is cousin to King Matthias of Hungary in 1464. King Matthias keeps Vlad Dracula as a political prisoner. Ilona's sister Margit believes that she is soon to be betrothed to Vlad. After meeting the mysterious man shrouded in stories of horror and several strange prophesies Ilona believes herself to be a better match for Vlad. Through much political maneuvering, Vlad and Ilona are married. Their personalities are compatible, however, there is much about Vlad that Ilona has to dis ...more
Marie Lavender
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The test of a good book is one that successfully tells a tale from which you can’t turn away. The test of a good writer is one who constructs characters anyone can care about, even if their beliefs may not align with the reader. Suspension of disbelief, and being drawn into the fictional world is key. Bardot’s The Impaler’s Wife is one such title. This gothic romance is thrilling, with unerring historical accuracy, and a hint of the legend of Dracula which most have heard of.

I love tales about
Joselyn  Raquel Moreno Burke
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy and voluntarily reviewed it.

This one caught my eye since the first time I saw it, it was an amazing story with an historical background.

The characters of Vlad and Ilona make me so happy to read specially Ilona since she was a strong willed woman for the age she lived in and learned to live strong with someone as influential and controversial as Vlad Dracula and having all this intrigue lurking every corner of her life.

This one was a page turner for me I couldn't get enoug
The Shayne-Train
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
WHAT IF HISTORICAL ROMANCE WAS WRITTEN WELL, AND CONTAINED PASSAGES OF HOT BDSM AND SPURTS OF ULTRA-VIOLENCE?

Well, then it would be GOOD! And it IS! This book is GREAT!

Normally I'm not one for too much romance in my reading, especially the bodice-ripping, mindlessly-yearning insta-love flavor. This book may have changed my mind, it's that damned good.

Obviously well-researched into the historical situations that made Vlad the Impaler the man/monster he was, this story follows both Vlad and his fu
Jane Barry
Jul 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Garbage!!!

Don't make the same mistake I did!! Read the reviews thoroughly!!! Because the author is so enthralled with sadistic sex scenes, DON'T waste your money!!
Bree
Are there better Vlad the Impaler books out there? Yes. Is there better historical erotica out there? Also yes. But if you're an efficient sort of person who wants to knock both out at once, this does the job. I admire this book's committment to fitting in the exciting gory parts of Vlad's history while also giving Ilona some stuff to do. It felt a bit drawn out, but it's an easy read and goes by fast. It would be a 3-star read if not for the typos; my copy had so many it was distracting.
Erika Messer
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love stories about Vlad Dracula, and there is no shortage of them at all out there - everything from historical facts to historical fiction and everything in between. This book appealed to me because it was historical fiction but it showed Vlad Dracula in a new light. I loved that the setting and historical background were good, and I also loved that the POV was from the main character, the woman who was destined to become Dracula's wife. I loved that the story began in a royal court where Ill ...more
Liz Gibson
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction is my all-time favourite genre and this is absolutely one of the best books of that genre I've ever read. Beautifully written, obviously researched, and very compelling, I was hooked from beginning to haunting end. I can't wait to read more of the author's novels.
Jess
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*“Fear makes poor decisions.” Dracula leaned against the wall. “Anger is more practical.”*

If you loved the movie Dracula Untold or the stories by Philippa Gregory, then I think you are going to enjoy this story. Ilona is a wonderful character. Initially, a little sheltered from the world, she does not understand the struggles of the common people but she has a sharp mind and smart mouth. She learns quickly and discovers a different side of herself with Prince Vlad. Ilona does however find the p
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

Have you ever wondered what Count Dracula was really like or if he had a family? Well, this story tells a version of what his life may have been really like. It is well written, and her geography and history were well researched. In fact, you find yourself liking poor Prince Dracula.

It is the 1440’s Vlad is 11 and his brother Ruda is 7 when they accompany their father on a trip to Turkey to hopefully arrange a truce with the emperor. Nothing goes as planned and the next few years
Elizabeth
To me this book was interesting because we learn how Vlad “The Impaler” came by his nickname and his evil reputation. Vlad and his brother are stolen from their father as children by the Sultan and remain prisoners through their early adulthood. During their captivity Vlad learned to be ruthless, shrewd, and cruel in order to survive the harsh and brutal treatment of his Islamic captors. He’s made to learn their language, their religion, and their culture. Vlad embraces all of these skills to av ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vlad III Dracula, known as Vlad the Impaler was the second son of Vlad Dracul, who became the ruler of Wallachia in 1436. Vlad and his younger brother, Radu, were held as hostages in the Ottoman Empire in 1442 to secure their father's loyalty. The relationship between Vlad and Radu deteriorated as Radu became Islam and a friend of Mehmed II, ruler of the Ottoman Empire. Vlad's father and eldest brother, Mircea, were murdered after John Hunyadi, regent-governor of Hungary, invaded Wallachia in 1 ...more
Clarissa
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Dracula Untold is one of my favorite films. Is it the best? No. But Luke Evans as Vlad is enough to make me happy any day of the week. Besides, it touched upon how he came to be the man he actually was. Yes, he did impale people. It was something picked up in his time with the Sultan, with whom he lived and who’s court he was raised in.

Anyway, I will say that I envisioned him as I read this, and considering there were a number of rather spicy scenes, let us say, I enjoyed the visual greatly. I’
Jamie Jack
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: p-2019, historical
This book fiction-grounded-in-fact story about Prince Vlad Dracul, also known as Vlad the Impaler, much of it through the eyes of the woman who would become his wife. The book starts with an intense scene that is magical and mystical and then turns directly to the court life at the coronation of King Matthias. At this significant event, Ilona sees Vlad for the first time. She finds him handsome and intriguing, as he is currently in prison and there are stories about him. Her younger sister belie ...more
Konny
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Impaler's Wife by Autumn Bardot is a full length, stand alone romance novel, set in medieval Eastern Europe.
Ilona lives at the kings - her cousin's - court. Just like her sister and aunts. She's a strong heroine and knows what she wants. And what she wants is the kings prisoner, Prince of Wallachia and Romania, Vladislav Dracul.
The Impaler's Wife is a story that had me captivated from chapter one. The writing is excellent and I loved the beautifully thought out, beautifully told and beautifu
Vanne
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booktasticnl
This is a pearl of a story, a fantastic read. If you're fascinated by vampires then this is a must read for you. The Impaler's Wife is a refreshing historical novel following a female main character who lives her life at the court and who has fallen in love with Vlad Dracula, the infamous Count.

Autumn develops her characters neatly and it's easy to feel along with the main characters. Based on reality, we can already know what this story will leads to. But Autumn has interwoven fact with fictio
Janice Broyles
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE IMPALER’S WIFE is a passionate and powerful historical novel with the rich and treacherous 1400’s as the backdrop. The infamous Vlad Dracula comes to life within the pages of this captivating story with alternating viewpoints between him and his wife, Ilana. Their relationship was electric and volatile, and I found that it was a fascinating tale of their love intermingled with actual historical events of their lives. This book is a must-read for those who love a well-written, well-researched ...more
Trina
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I know this book is a work of fiction but many true historical details are intertwined throughout, which makes it a very interesting book. The idea of magic or supernatural beings is introduced enough to be intriguing. And of course the romance is always there as another element. Last year I travelled to the areas mentioned in the book including Vlad Dracula’s castle so was easy to imagine the locations mentioned in the book. My only negative in the book is the swapping from the past to the pres ...more
Riley
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a long but captivating story about how Dracula came to be, as well as what life was like for the women in his life incuding those vying to be his wife and the one who succeeded. Not for the faint of heart! There are battles, fights, betrayals, torture, heartbreak, death, suffering, gore, murders, etc., galore, but also love, charm, sacrifice, and romance.

Adrienne
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first I have read anything by Autumn Bardot. I could not put it down. The writing was fantastic the story line drew you in til the end.

Laurie Tell
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe it, but I loved it! This is the story of the relationship between Vlad the Impaler and his wife. It also gives background into what made him the man he was. This book was fiction, with some true historical background. What amazed me wasn't how cruel he was, but how much I loved him even though he was.
Suzanne
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Palace intrigues, supernatural creatures, and steamy love-making are combined in this historical novel which imagines the marriage between Vlad Dracula and his wife Ilona. Loved the masquerade ball with feast of spiced swan and fig-stuffed pork, the hawk handling, and other 15th century period details. Bardot has clearly done her homework, and she knows how to spin a tale.
Carley Morton
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loooove historical fiction. And I love good sexy times. And intrigue. Autumn has rolled all those things into one and to top it off, she wrote it about Vlad the Impaler, king of villains. I thought it was a little slow at first but then the action and intrigue picked up. The romance is a slow burn and Ilona is great. She is a strong smart character not afraid to use her brain and wiles to get what she wants. I really enjoyed this book and all of the history that layered throughout.
Truly Trendy PR
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Impaler's Wife by Autumn Bardot is not my normal go to read but once I started reading I was drawn into another world. A standalone romance novel set in medieval Eastern Europe. Bardot has written a lovely story that is beautifully told. A heartbreaking read that is sure to stay with you. The Impaler's Wife is full of magic, sacrifices and love, a slow burn romance that you will not want to put down!
Juliana
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not Worth the Time

A somewhat accurate telling of the life of Vlad Tepes mixed in with an heaping helping of fiction and kinky sex. Not that I am a prude, but the sex was gratuitous and did nothing to improve the story. Your mileage may vary.
gabreadsbooks
My overall feelings about this book is that it was just ok. There were some interesting, dark bits but it was mostly filled with repetitive passages and inconsistent characters. The first half of the story and the ending I enjoyed. Was it anything mind blowing? No, but Ilona was an intriguing heroine and the author set up an enticing story of battles, betrayals, angst and the moral dilemmas of ruling. These labors don’t come into fruition until the last 20% of the book. I wish stuff like that wa ...more
Scott Holstad
I felt so disappointed in this book that I didn't even finish it, and that's too bad. It's an interesting premise and one I feel someone could really go far with. Unfortunately, it didn't feel like this author did that, and I found myself bored, annoyed with the initial protagonists, irritated with the dialogue, and desperately looking for an alternative to read instead -- never a good sign. I chose some books on neoliberal capitalism, the Black Power movement, postmodern fiction, and quantum gr ...more

• Imperial Passions: The Porta Aurea
  • A Vain and Indecent Woman (Classic Historical Fiction Book 8)
  • IMPOSTOR: A Novel Set in the Kingdom of Naples
  • The Girl Empress (The Chronicle of Maud #1)
  • The Elizabeth Tudor Conspiracy (The Marquess House Trilogy #2)
  • The Girl Who Would Be Queen (The Kingdom of Naples #1)
  • THE PRINCESS NUN: Mary, Daughter of Edward I (Medieval Babes: Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 5)
  • Templar Silks (William Marshal #6)
  • Rose of the World: Rosamund Clifford-Mistress of King Henry II
  • Shadow of Persephone (The Story of Catherine Howard Book 1)
  • Gold Digger: The Remarkable Baby Doe Tabor
  • No More Time to Dance (The Story of Catherine Howard Book 2)
  • Caveman
  • Anne and Charles (Anne of Brittany, #1)
  • SABINA: A Novel Set in the Italian Renaissance: Revised 2015
  • Anne and Louis: Passion and Politics in Early Renaissance France: The First Years of Anne of Brittany's Marriage to Louis XII (Anne of Brittany Series Book 2)
  • The Winter Sisters
  • Flight of Dreams
Autumn Bardot writes historical fiction and romance about courageous women and daring passions!

Her erotic fiction includes Legends of Lust, Erotic Myths from around the World, published by Cleis Press. Confessions of a Sheba Queen (erotica) will be available Jan 2020.

The Impaler's Wife is her debut historical fiction!

Autumn has a BA in English literature and a MaEd in curriculum and instruction. S