Start by marking “BookBub Ads Expert: A Marketing Guide to Author Discovery” as Want to Read:
BookBub Ads Expert: A Marketing Guide to Author Discovery

BookBub Ads Expert: A Marketing Guide to Author Discovery

From the author of Let's Get Digital and Strangers to Superfans comes a guide to advertising on the world's hottest book marketing platform: BookBub Ads.

*Turn browsers into buyers with the right ad images.
*Attract the right readers with optimized targeting.
*Drive more sales for less money with enhanced bid strategy.
*Learn when to run your BookBub campaigns for maximum impa
Published February 24th 2019

To ask other readers questions about BookBub Ads Expert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about BookBub Ads Expert

Start your review of BookBub Ads Expert: A Marketing Guide to Author Discovery
Ann Omasta
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like many authors, I tried Bookbub ads, lost some money, and quickly stopped. I have been working to build my author business for several years and have taken numerous training courses, spending thousands of dollars. Oops! I mean a hundred or so... in case my husband sees this. I can't believe I never thought to try (or learned in any course) the FANTASTIC ideas in the killer moves section. Those gems alone make the price of this book a steal. I'm so excited to try them out. Having this guide in ...more
Graeme Rodaughan
Jun 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aspiring authors looking to market their books on Bookbub
Give yourself a budget of $1000 USD and prepare yourself to experiment.

Warning: Alligators ahead to snare the unwary.

Still, much to learn from this volume. Just - what is being taught takes a few seasons to learn in full.
Lola
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed the David Gaughran's books I read so far, so this was an auto buy for me, despite the fact that at the time of buying it I wasn't sure what I would get out of this book. Recently I've been more interested in learning about ads, so I picked up this book to get more information about the topic. This is the first book on ads I've read in general as well as the first thing I've read about Bookbub ads. And I am glad I did as it was a great one!

I really enjoyed the in depth persp
Derek Murphy
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Impressively detailed and fun

I wasted money on bookbub ads and gave up, but this book gives me hope and I’m excited to try again when I finish some series. In addition to specific strategies, there’s a lot of humor in the book which makes it an enjoyable read.
Mika Lane
Apr 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great book

David has made sense out of the mysteries of advertising with BookBub and has done it with clarity and humor
Melissa Pearl
Oct 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful…

This book is packed full of useful insights and ideas that I can’t wait to test out. David writes with humour and makes the learning experience very enjoyable.
Gwen Mitchell
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-biz
Another Stellar and Entertaining Guide Packed with Info

I’ve loved David’s entire series on e-publishing and find him to be an authority (through applying his methods) worth trusting. Not only does he provide high quality content packed with TONS of valuable info, he’s also hilarious, and it doesn’t feel tedious at all. Read in one sitting and feel confident that the steps outlined in this book will deliver success.
Cara Bristol
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2019
You can struggle along losing money on BB ads--or you can read this book. David Gaughran explains what works on BB and what doesn't, and how to design, target, and test your ads. A must read for authors. ...more
D. Thrush
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
New authors complain they had no idea marketing would be so difficult after self-publishing a book. I’ve been at it for a while now, and I think it’s gotten worse as promo sites no longer deliver the results they used to. BookBub is the holy grail of advertising, but it’s nearly impossible to get a featured deal in their daily email. What to do? You can tap into these readers by creating your own ad that will appear at the bottom of these daily emails. But it’s tricky. You have to create a good ...more
Eldon Farrell
There are so many writer advice books out there, it can all be a little overwhelming. Who do you listen to? Who is offering actual advice or just trying to pad their own ego and make some money on the side? Let me try to help clear some of the confusion by saying David Gaughran is one of the good guys. His expertise should be in top demand. If you aren't already following his stellar blog, what are you waiting for, it's a gold mine.

As is this book. Meticulously researched, and chock full of help
Caitlyn Lynch
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those reviews I might have to revisit once I’ve had some time to put the advice it contains into practice, because make no mistake, this is not a get-rich-quick scheme. David Gaughran lays out a methodical plan for getting BookBub ads to work for your book, using some basic math, decent graphics and a reasonable budget, but it isn’t going to work overnight. Not unless you can afford to do all the testing he recommends simultaneously, anyway, which I definitely can’t.

What I like b
E.P.
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I should start with the caveat that I haven't actually tried any of the tricks and tips in this book--yet. I know I need to get serious about trying out BookBub, but frankly it's all so overwhelming and there are so many ways to spend your money when it comes to book marketing. I'd heard that BookBub while go through it like water through a fire hose, which has made me leery.

This book does indeed say that BookBub will run through your budget like nobody's business if you're not careful, but it g
Karen Whooley
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book to help with BookBub no matter your genre

I will be honest, I have been anxiously awaiting this book for some time. Bookbinding and all its features have been a mystery to me. I am a self-published author in the craft industry and could not figure out how BookBub might help me.

This book has changed everything. David Gaughran is not only one of the most knowledgeable in the self-publishing realm, he's honest and forthright in what information he teaches. Not to mention funny! But w
Mercedes Rochelle
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book from David but already its not my last. Like most of us, I had atrocious results with my Bookbub ads, but he was so enthusiastic about them that I decided to pay attention. I am in the process of testing right now so I can "optimize" my ads and discover the ideal authors to target. The first time one of my tests really took off, I was thrilled. It really can work! His advice is painstaking and thorough, and it absolutely makes common sense. (Maybe that's why I didn't think ...more
Tammie Painter
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A guide to book marketing that keeps you grinning. Okay, that's probably not the expected review, but seriously, book marketing is usually BORING to read about...until you let David Gaughran have a crack at it. The humor might be offensive to some (did I actually read the word "dildo" somewhere in there?), but I loved it.

As for the advice itself. Solid! I'm on DG's mailing list so I read his Bookbub Ad sequence long before this book was published. At first I was worried this might just be a repe
Debbi Mack
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've almost finished this and have yet to apply the advice. But it seems sensible enough and gives me great hope for the possibilities of using BookBub ads.

My only problem with the book was that the same points were repeated (repeatedly :) ) throughout. It got a bit tough to click through the extra verbiage. The author is a clever writer. And funny. But after a while, I continued to read only with a shred of hope that a new, important point would come up.

I do highly recommend the book, if only f
Stephen Hiemstra
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Composing and managing online ads challenges the best minds publishing today. A good ad must have an attractive graphic, communicate the book’s theme, and motive the purchase. The ad must contribute to an effective sales strategy, reach an inspired audience, and generate enough sales, directly or indirectly to cover the ad expense. With so many moving parts to preparing good ads, the moment I heard about David Gaughan’s BookBub Ads Expert, I ordered a copy.

Gaughran writes:

“Many authors try the
T.L. Dyer
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having wasted time and energy on "other" advertising platforms when it would have been quicker to have set light to my cash and watched it burn, I decided to take a cautious peep at BookBub ads to see if my nerves could take it. Dusting off David's book from my Kindle, I followed his step by step guidance to producing a first ad. David warns that it's all about testing and this is just the start. But lo and behold, some half decent results and sales straight off the bat! More success than I've h ...more
Peter West
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some very detailed advice learnt from experience

This was an excellent guide to all things BookBub - in terms of running your own ads. It answered everything I was wondering about and added a few things to leave me lying awake at night.
With all the good advice I've been given in the last few years, I should be richer than Jef Besos by now - and yet sadly I'm still doing a day job between writing.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, to master the execution of all these techniques and s
F. Stephan
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writer
this is a very rich book. Like others, I've been working with bookbub for some time now and I'm still feeling my way in it, using as a guide the idea from David previous book in Amazon. And wondering why it doesn't work so well as I'd like.
This books contains a lot of actionnable advices on strategies, on tests that can be implemented, on improvments.
It won't magically solve your issues but you'll have a lot to ponder.

The best for me is that David takes a stand on his advice. This is not a de
Anna Adler
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I read this book. I realized I was approaching my BookBub campaigns all wrong (no wonder they weren't doing anything), and now I have a heap of ideas how to make them actually work. I can't wait to start testing!
I recommend this book to all authors who want to learn to nail their BookBub ads. In addition to being a goldmine of information, David Gaughran is funny as heck. His writing style is humorous and easy to read, and I breezed through this book wearing a happy grin. I can't bel
Lynn McLaughlin
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This guide is very thorough and is easy to follow. Step by step, David Gaughran explains the ins and outs of BookBub. As an author who is about to launch my next book in the fall, I have begun doing the "tests" for my ads in the way he recommends so that I'm ready to go for the launch. He tells it like it is, with humour as well. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is venturing out into the world of BookBub to use as a promotional strategy, especially if you are about to do a launch. The ...more
Timothy R Jr.
Apr 14, 2022 rated it really liked it
David breaks down the process of Bookbub Ads, and keeps his personality on the pages for an entertaining read. There is a lot of incredible information, and insight on how the system works. For updated practices, he has a page on his website to keep his readers updated as Bookbub grows as a platform. (You can only reach by buying his book, so don't think you can get around this.)
I do wish there was a section on how to analyze ad results in more depth, with some further insight, but overall a gre
Raza
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource...

This book is the resource I was looking for to understand BookBub ads.

Chapter 19 is amazing and I see one other author using that strategy with great success - I can’t wait to implement these strategies.

The information is amazing (much of which I’ve never heard before) and it’s written with a lot of humor.

This book is an independent author’s secret weapon.
Bethany Swafford
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A guide to running successful Bookbub ads!

This showed me just how many mistakes I have made in venturing into the Bookbub ad world (far more than I thought I had). Step by step, David Gaughran goes through what makes a good ad, when to best utilize those ads, and what not to do. All with a pinch of humor!

I found it extremely informative, and it definitely deserves a second read through to fully grasp the advice offered.
Aaron Leyshon
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The only book you'll ever need to bub

Is that even a verb? Gaughran's light and humorous tone cuts through an insightful guide to Bookbub advertising. I loved the specific examples from clients and the organisation and I will definitely be rereading and rereading as I refine and optimize my ads. Bub this book if you're serious about getting good at CPM ads for the platform and potentially other platforms in the future.
Kevin Partner
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best ads book Eva

I love guides that are practical as well as covering the theory and this book delivers. I’ve only just finished it but have made copious notes and feel as though I have some grip on the platform and what’s needed for success. I’m delighted that David doesn’t shy away from the fact that this success depends on a lot of work because most authors won’t bother, making it easier for me to turn a profit. Thanks David.
Sonya Sargent
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent material as always

I believe this is the 3rd book I have read from this author and I appreciate how well researched the information always is. After reading this book, I am excited to get moving with bookbag as and I even feel confident in doing so. Considering that floundering around in my own has lost me a chunk of change over the last couple of years, I feel like the tips in this book are finally pointing me in the right direction.
William Stacey
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best book on a tough marketing nut to crack

BookBub ads are hard to get right. Sometimes I think it’s an impossible platform to use to sell. David has done a fine job breaking it all down. I still may not be able to market with BookBub but at least I feel less blind now. If you’re going to even try BookBub ads read this book.
Helen
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book full of fantastic advice! I've learned some new things along the way, after having committed all the newbie mistakes. I will now try out BookBub ads armed with a lot more knowledge than I had before! I loved the tips at the end, they're things I'd never have thought of. Now I just need to check out all the extras on the website... ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert
  • Amazon Ads Unleashed: Advanced Publishing and Marketing Strategies for Indie Authors
  • How to Market a Book: Overperform in a Crowded Market (Reedsy Marketing Guides #1)
  • Newsletter Ninja 2: If You Give a Reader a Cookie: Supercharge Your Author Mailing List With the Perfect Reader Magnet
  • Book Blurbs Unleashed: Advanced Publishing and Marketing Strategies for Indie Authors
  • Amazon Ads for Authors: Tips and Strategies to Sell Your Books
  • Sales Copy Unleashed: Advanced Publishing and Marketing Strategies for Indie Authors
  • Dear Writer, You Need to Quit (QuitBooks for Writers Book 1)
  • Author Unleashed: Advanced Publishing and Marketing Strategies for Indie Authors
  • Woman on Fire
  • How to Catch a Sinful Marquess (The Disreputable Debutantes, #3)
  • How to Catch an Errant Earl (The Disreputable Debutantes, #2)
  • The Taming of Annabelle (The Six Sisters, #2)
  • How to Catch a Wicked Viscount (The Disreputable Debutantes, #1)
  • Beautiful Little Fools
  • Sheilas: Badass Women of Australian History
  • Up All Night with a Good Duke (The Byronic Book Club, #1)
  • Gotta Read It!: Five Simple Steps to a Fiction Pitch that Sells
David Gaughran was born in Ireland but now lives in a quaint little fishing village in Portugal, although this hasn't increased the amount of time he spends outside the house. He writes historical fiction and science fiction under another name, has helped thousands of authors publish their work through his workshops, blog, and writers' books - Let's Get Digital, Strangers to Superfans, BookBub Ads ...more