Start by marking “I'm from Nowhere” as Want to Read:
I'm from Nowhere

I'm from Nowhere

I'm From Nowhere follows Claire as she mourns the sudden death of her husband and comes to terms with the fact of being a woman without a child, a job, a husband, or agency. She confronts a dying planet and an emerging sense of self. Is it possible for a woman to reclaim her life and set its terms without succumbing to suicide or submission?

Claire puts herself in the hands
Published September 24th 2019 by Clash Books

To ask other readers questions about I'm from Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm from Nowhere

Start your review of I'm from Nowhere
Lori
I'm working with the author to provide publicity so I will refrain from rating it. Prepare yourself, this one's a dark, harrowing journey through the grieving process of a suddenly widowed housewife. Lindsay toys with the ideas of permanance, depression, and acceptance as her main character Claire tries to make sense of the world and her new place within it.

If you'd like to review this for us, send me a DM here!
Danger
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is so much raw, emotional truth packed into this thing as a young widowed woman searches for any kind of port to call home while unsteadily adrift in an ocean of grief. Meditations on relationships, love, loss, life, and where all these major roads intersect, I'm From Nowhere doesn't have any big climactic scenes that drive the point home, merely quiet ones that whisper these barbed revelations in your ear. Sometimes, it's the softest voice that ends up the most disarming. And that's the c ...more
Tess
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're into piercingly dark novels set in a subtly dystopian landscape, read this book before the summer is over. In the sweltering Virginia heat, in a lawn chair (if possible). You will not find a more beautifully-written unraveling of a female human this year, guaranteed.
Cara
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a book to marinate in. Spend time with the text to really savor the richness. It addresses grief, absolutely, but if you spend your time worrying about the larger crises of our planet, or your role in it, this is a beautiful meditation.
Diamond
After the sudden death of her husband, Claire finds herself alone and grieving in a dying world. She throws herself into the arms of two men she has been friends with for years while examining--and trying to reclaim--her individual identity.

So upfront, real talk to start with. My synopsis doesn't do the story justice at all (and in all likelihood, neither will this review) but plot isn't the star here. This is a short book, and on the surface appears to be a fairly simple one, but it is full of
The Nonconformist Magazine
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Towards the end of Ishiguro’s The Remains of the Day, Stevens, the chief butler at Darlington Hall, reconciles himself to the realization that by agreeing to live a subservient life, he couldn’t even make his own mistakes. “Really, one has to ask oneself, what dignity is there in that?” Lindsay Lerman’s central character, Claire, of her powerful debut novel I’m From Nowhere, struggles with a somewhat similarly existential pang when John, her husband, suddenly passes away at a young age. In Lerma ...more
Monika
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quietly pre-apocalyptic, I'M FROM NOWHERE explores the intersections of grief, self-identity, and womanhood. The raw aftermath of grief is captured through a surreal sense of numbness, apathy, and deeply conflicting emotions. The despair, fears, desires, and hope of recently widowed Claire are the compelling force of this completely character-driven novel. Readers are with Claire every step of the way as she contemplates her life thus far, her role in this world, and begins to live for herself.
Kenyatta Jean-Paul Garcia
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book dives into the emotional arithmetic of a person living in the aftermath of a marriage that has left them alone with their thoughts and a new or renewed sense of the world. Both introspective and retrospective.
Chandler Morrison
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful, poignant portrait of grief and melancholic memories. It engulfed me in a single sitting, and Lindsay's carefully-articulated prose took my breath away. I want to stand and applaud, but she's rendered me weak at the knees.
Hayley DeRoche
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is lovely, dark and deep. Read it, read it now, then read it again.
Bruno
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hyper-acute social observation, like the Virginia Woolf of a dinner scene in To the Lighthouse, a scene where characters read or misread one another with a good deal of nuance about inner worlds. But here that gaze is turned on American life, on a social order in which--and what I'm about to say I mean as high praise-- two people seldom have much of a reason to speak to one another, or certainly to be in the same room together, unless they are married or dating. I want to be clear that the novel ...more
Suz Jay
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
“Sometimes people can walk away with the best parts of you—or any parts of you—tucked safely under their arms. You can keep looking for those parts but you’ll never find them. They are not where you left them.”

After her husband John dies suddenly, Claire, jobless and childless, struggles to find her place in the world. Their friends Andrew and Luke share in her grief, but her feelings toward the men complicate matters.

This literary novel explores Claire’s sense of identity as she compares herse
Greg Mania
I already can’t wait to re-read this book.
Michael Onofrey
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book reaches deep down inside!
Kelly
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lerman's book is both sparse and deeply affecting. I read this in one sitting and scenes flashed through my mind for months afterward. There are moments that will make the right reader gasp aloud with painful recognition -- as well as genuinely funny moments despite the dark, foreboding world they're situated in. Like most brilliant books, you'll want to come back to this one at different parts of your life to receive it differently -- and it will change for you, depending on what you bring to i ...more
Joseph Haeger
There’s a lot of really great stuff going on in this book.
Clifford

• Seal Skin
  • Left Hand
  • La Belle Ajar
  • Cenote City
  • An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States (ReVisioning American History, #3)
  • Isadora
  • The Boss Who Stole Christmas (Reindeer Falls, #1)
  • Miles from Nowhere
  • One Word Kill (Impossible Times #1)
  • After the End