Start by marking “Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow” as Want to Read:
Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow

Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow

Effective software teams are essential for any organization to deliver value continuously and sustainably. But how do you build the best team organization for your specific goals, culture, and needs?

Team Topologies is a practical, step-by-step, adaptive model for organizational design and team interaction based on four fundamental team types and three team interaction pat
Published September 17th 2019 by It Revolution Press (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Team Topologies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Team Topologies

Start your review of Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
Sebastian Gebski
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've openly criticized recent MS's book (the one about sketching) - as half-arsed, rushed & shallow.
I've speculated that one of the reasons could be that he was working (in parallel) on something else - "Team Topologies" - and TBH after reading it ... I feel like my guesses were correct.

Just because TT is so much better.

Good points. Good conceptual model (that appears comprehensive enough). Some very good remarks & references (e.g. to McChrystal or theory of org. structures). This books ain't lo
Brice Beard
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Formatted review at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/stream...

Team Topologies provides deep insight into organizing IT teams for high performance. It demonstrates why a team centric approach is critical to DevOps and Agile success.

For anyone leading team(s) or simply working in a team, you’re bound to learn a lot through the case studies and synthetic approach presented. You will acquire a new frame of reference to help evolve your team(s) or organization and improve Teamwork !

Software Architectu
Cliff Hazell
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone designing teams, architecture or org structure.

The ideas around fundamental topologies and patterns, cognitive load and interaction types; are vital concepts beautifully captured by Matthew and Manuel.

Highly recommended
Toni Tassani
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The authors evolve the idea behind DevOps Topologies into a model for or organisational design. They suggest four essential team types and three interaction models, and present multiple real cases where their approach was used. From that perspective, they try to cover aspects like finance, diversity, culture, maturity, support, office layout, or quality, with a clear focus on architecture, and Conway's Law.
Considering the team as the essential unit they pitch for team stability and cross-functio
Valerie
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super interesting book for those tasked with organizational design. Filled with insights on how to structure your organization’s teams in a scalable way that both optimizes for delivery and takes a human-centered approach.

The writing was very dry — a bit white paper-ish — and could’ve used many more real-world examples to support the concepts they propose. Regardless, I found their lens for thinking about teams to be extremely valuable.
Ken Gronnbeck
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
The main content of the book is worth a 4 or even 5 stars. But it also contains a considerable amount of fluff. And way to many quotes that disrupts the flow of reading, ironically, the word flow is used on almost every page of the book.
Tõnu Vahtra
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some theoretical books from IT Revolution Press can be extremely tedious (but still useful, like The DevOps Handbook), this one is actually very engaging to follow (I had to constantly make breaks to take notes) and it's not that long, merely 240 pages. I will definitely take this book into use in my work life (actually already did). It introduced a few new concepts and novel ideas to my everyday vocabulary like cognitive load, optimizing for FAST FLOW and high fidelity sensing (Cynefin was also ...more
Bjoern Rochel
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Quick, very insightful read centering around the ideas of Conways Law, Dunbars number and Cognitive Load and their effects on organizational design.

Good and useful stuff to reason about team structures in an organization!
Hannes Lindblom
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Contained many great takeaways and concepts which I will be able to apply in my current job. A bit repetetive and long though, the content could probably have been condensed.
Eduards Sizovs
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a seasoned Continuous Delivery and DevOps practitioner I didn't expect to find something new, but this book positively surprised me. Team Topologies is a great read about scaling organizations and software development. In fine detail, with concrete practices, it explains how to (re)-structure your teams to achieve flow. It's well-written, well-structured, and has lots of take-aways.
Simon Hohenadl
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Not much new here for me, but a very good overview of the topic. A must-read for people taking on responsibility for software development teams.
Mash
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for managers, architects, and developers alike. The concept of 4 team topologies and the 3 interaction modes between those teams underpins the discussion in the book and helps create a blueprint for how teams should structure and evolve themselves.
Vlad Ardelean
Far too bloated, but very nice references!

This video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvt0A... has one of the authors explaining what's in this book.

I made 135 highlights on kindle, so there has to be some value in it, but the book could easily have been made 5 times shorter.

Bits of information I remember and found interesting:
* Decisions should be taken by people who have the most information in order to make the decision.
* Reverse Conway maneuver: ensure teams can't communicate well, and
肥啾 H
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is written by one who is highly logical, highly ordered, and highly intelligent. He uses a top-to-bottom approach to analyze a few important ideas:
- Team first approach
- DDD (domain driven design)
- Four main team topologies: Platform, Stream-aligned, enabling, and complicated-subsystems.
- Three team interaction modes: Collaboration, X-as-a-service, and facilitation.

He encouraged to think of a problem, key stakeholders clearly, and think of it as a way to have a minimal viable product
Isaac Perez Moncho
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Team Topologies is full of insights and exciting ideas. It made me realise that some concepts I used in the past can be applied to teams, and there may be better ways to align different teams to focus on company-wide results.
Four key takeaways from the book that I will pursue further are:
Applying the concept of cognitive load to a team will make it easier to define the responsibilities of that team.
Reward teams by the output of other teams.
The thinnest viable platform, to get just the right plat
Yannick Grenzinger
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book on how to design your organizational architecture allowing to deliver software faster by implementing the idea of "Reverse Conway's Law".

It really opens a view on how to exit the traditionnal "waterfallish" and siloed organizational architecture and mainly avoid the costs of synchronization between teams.

I don't put a 5 stars because it maybe lacks more information on how the model has been implemented, how is it used and the pitfalls. Less theory and a bit more of practi
Dejan Vukmirovic
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very interesting overview of theoretical approach to IT teams/organizations setup.
It is kind of simplified and generic approach, and I would argue that people tend to bend this theoretical concepts in real-life situations, but it gives you a great starting point to think about organizations you want to (re)shape.
I will keep this book in my collection, that is for sure.
Marco
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: career, own, audible
Quick read about team structures, functionalities and communication types. Mostly based on Conway's law and creating strategies to use this for building teams. Sometimes a little bit to theoretical but I liked the chapter about DDD aspects when it comes to teams.
Dmitry Spesiviy
This was a great book for me. It is first time when I made more then 100 notes in one book.
I was looking for the ways how to optimize work in our company and this book gave to me a lot of insights. Book full of real-life example, references to other books, practices.

Highly recommended for all people who are involved in organizing, supporting and managing IT teams.
Kristjan
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear and well captures the topic.
João Quitério
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good framework to discuss an important but often neglected topic: how to structure your engineering organization.
Ricardo Hernández
Perhaps one of the best technical -and not yet technical- books that I have read about software development and organizational development. Parting from concise theory, they authors offers proven ways to plan, design, develop and nurture teams that align with business objectives, technical architecture and development flows. Taking Conway’s Law as backbone to sustain their their, Skelton and Pais are defining here what its was missed from the DevOps revolution: people and the ever complex produc ...more
Jo
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you accept the premise that today's IT organization should be optimizing for flow of change & feedback, then team topologies provides a map on how to get there.

It takes into account several forces like Conway's law (link between software architecture & organization structure), team cognitive load (how much problem & solution space can fit into the team's head?) & cost of inter-team communication. Based on these forces, they derive 4 essential types of teams & 3 ways of inter-team collaboratio
Gustavo Leiva
The book proposes a set of ways to structure teams around technology as well as ways for those teams to communicate with each other and the organization.
While I agree with the proposal, I think it needs a certain context to be successful/accurate. Therefore I think there are possibly other ways to be successful structuring technology teams without following what the author proposes.

The book is also very repetitive. I think the same content could have been condensed into fewer pages.
In general,
Sergey Bir
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: IT people
So much goodness in this book.

Teams first - a team is more than the sum of people.
Team size - 5-8 or else hard to build trust and feeling of ownership.
Office design - design the physical space to reduce unnecessary interactions and promote necessary.
Suggested team topologies - stream-aligned, platform, complicated subsystem, enabling.
Boundaries are important - cognitive load is a serious problem, that's why we need to manage team and system sizes and their interactions.
Conway law - a product's
Mac
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anyone who wants high performing software organizations. It has instructions for one who must think about both the software and organization architecture - both as these two are inherently tied in software organizations.

It gives you some clear and practical structures for how to organize the organization, and what not just the structure will look like but the interaction between the teams. It's clearly systems thinking in action.

There's several tenants that it uses for h
Victor
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-process
Team Topologies presents a Team First approach to organizational and code structure. It breaks down how to organize teams to support fast flow of development. At the core of this approach are 4 fundamental topologies (Stream aligned, Platform, Enabling and Complicated sybsystem) and 3 team interaction modes (Collaboration, X-as-a-Service and Facilitating). Having a common way of thinking about teams and concrete behaviors for each team topology and interaction mode should bring clarity to teams ...more
Marek Kalnik
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cto
This is a book about organising teams in an efficient way to deliver software. It brings some interesting insights based on the authors' experience and recent sources (books like Accelerate or Ship It and many articles cited in sources). It is a good read for a technical reader in a medium-to-large organisation.

On the plus side :
- a personal takeaway: this is the first book that made me understand Conway's Law, and the mechanics behind it - kudos for that,
- a simple visual framework of topologie
Tim Rozmajzl
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on teams - or even business related - that i've read in years. The authors riff on Conway's Law to describe the four types of teams and the three types of interaction styles. A must read for managers and other leaders in IT who may not really get the fact that the way you organize is an architectural decision. If your org/team configuration is not aligned with the architecture of your products/services as determined by good Domain Driven Design techniques, then your archite ...more
Lukasz Nalepa
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-work
For me it was one of the best books about the structure of organisations, that I have read so far. It is insightful, it gives some up-to-date advice on how to approach this topic, and concrete how-tos. It revolves mainly around practical (and i really mean practical, not anecdotal) implications of Conway's Law, how to take it under consideration, how to use it, and how to plan for it. In general very, very good content, but unfortunately not that well written - hence one star less. For me, it is ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Unicorn Project
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • A Seat at the Table
  • Agile Conversations: Transform Your Conversations, Transform Your Culture
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System
  • The Art Of Business Value
  • The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • Doing Agile Right: Transformation Without Chaos
  • Dynamic Reteaming: The Art and Wisdom of Changing Teams
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Building Successful Communities of Practice
  • The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“An obsession with “feature delivery” ignores the human-related and team-related dynamics inherent in modern software, leading to a lack of engagement from staff, especially when the cognitive load is exceeded.” 0 likes
“Conway’s law tells us that we need to understand what software architecture is needed before we organize our teams, otherwise the communication paths and incentives in the organization will end up dictating the software architecture. As Michael Nygard says: “Team assignments are the first draft of the architecture.”7” 0 likes