Start by marking “Shadows In The Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Shadows In The Moonlight

Shadows In The Moonlight

On the run from the army of Turan, Conan and fellow fugitive Olivia hide out on a small island in the Vilayet Sea. They soon find themselves stalked by an unseen terror in the jungles and threatened by a group of pirates belonging to the Red Brotherhood, which is led by Conan's sworn enemy-Sergius of Koth! However, those may be the least of Conan's concerns, because when ...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Dodo Press (first published April 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows In The Moonlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows In The Moonlight

Start your review of Shadows In The Moonlight
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

My crappy non-review for The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian is imploding! I exhausted all my character allowance! So now I have to resort to crappily non-review all the stories in the collection separately! Go me and stuff!

The cover for this short story sucks. I mean, seriously, why would you use this boring-as-fish image:

When you could have this slightly scrumptious illustration featuring my Cimmerian Paramour and his Squeeze of the Moment:

Beats me and stuff.
“He was
Johnny Bahama
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Girl went from being abused by some spoilt rich kid to being consensually tethered to Conan’s anaconda. Not a bad Saturday.
Mark Tallen
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
An enjoyable Conan story and while it isn't my favourite Conan tale of the ones that I've read, I liked it. I love the pure escapism that the Conan stories provide in spades. Robert E. Howard laced these tales with Adventure, horror, magic, action, monsters, pirates and provided us with just damn good stories to enjoy.
Lance Lasalle
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Basically a hodge-podge of various Conan motifs. A few lovely bits of imagery. A touch of world-building. And a couple of monsters + pirates.

. At one point the OD (Obligatory Damsel), who Conan promises to make Queen of the Seas (and who never appears in a subsequent story) rescues Conan from captivity.

Oops, spoilers.
Seth Kenlon
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
A great Conan the Barbarian story. The location is lush, the story has mystery, adventure, and sexual tension, and Conan is [mostly] at his best. Olivia is an intriguing and, thankfully, ultimately a brave companion for him, and I wish she was in more stories.

There's really nothing not to like here, except that it's too short.

Rachel
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has always been one of my favorite pieces by Howard. There's the classic Conan plot paired with a great setting and an interesting combination of threats
Erik Wennermark
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pirate Conan is the best Conan P)
Bill Hohl
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun fluff read
Perry Whitford
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Revenging himself brutally upon the sadistic Hyrkanian lord who vanquished his current band of mercenaries, Conan also rescues his misused mistress, Olivia, a princess of Ophir. Escaping across the seas that separate eastern Hyrkania from western Turan, they come across a seemingly uninhabited island, in which resides the ruins of court lined with life-like bronze statues of a race unknown to the barbarian.
Fearful that they are being stalked by something less than human, the unlikely couple
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Finally available, a high quality book of the original classic edition of Shadows in the Moonlight. It was previously published by other bona fide publishers, and is now, after many years, back in print.

This is a new and freshly published edition of this culturally important work by Robert E. Howard, which is now, at last, again available to you.

Get the PDF and EPUB NOW as well. Included in your purchase you have Shadows in the Moonlight in EPUB AND PDF format to read on any tablet,

Matthew Hunter
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Awesome pulpish stuff! I found it impossible not to think of Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan throughout the read. As a kid, I'd walk around spouting "Crom!" repeatedly as an oath. I got plenty of Croms, and what appears to be Howard's go-to word - sward. Grassy stretch, turf, sod - all would have been fine. But apparently, sward has more of a barbarian-y feel to it. Who knew I'd need Google to get through a Conan novella?!

In no way is Shadows In The Moonlight an important literary work. Fun and
Michael Sorbello
Escaping a massacre that claimed his army, Conan and an abandoned princess make their way to a haunted and occupied island at the same time as a band of pirates. A fairly fun voyage, but no exciting conclusion happens as the story cuts off very abruptly and sets itself up for the next volume. I feel like both volumes should've just been included in the same story since this is literally just one half of something with no conclusion. Other than that big gripe, the writing and pacing is still ...more
Stephen Brooke
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another of Robert E. Howard’s novelette-length stories, ‘Shadows in the Moonlight’ (aka ‘Iron Shadows in the Moon’), is weaker in plot than some of the Conan tales but makes up for it by being stronger in characterization. We get a fully-fleshed barbarian here. Even the female protagonist, frequently little more than a prop in these stories, takes part in the action — sometimes presented from her point of view.

The story itself is somewhat slender, a fight, a flight, mysterious ruins — the
Wayne
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a nice little scene setter for Conan. Pretty much follows the standard form, but paints a very good picture.
Cindy DeLong
Conan books have lost their appeal to me. Tired of all the witchcraft.
Padre
Jan 15, 2019
Martin
Dec 26, 2019

• Pickman's Model
  • The Haunter of the Dark (The H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus, #3)
  • The King in Yellow
  • Vigilance
  • Nyarlathotep
  • The Nameless City
  • El color que cayó del cielo
  • The Lurking Fear
  • The Cats of Ulthar
  • Power and Greed: A Short History of the World
  • The History Thieves: Secrets, Lies and the Shaping of a Modern Nation
  • The Beast in the Cave
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the