Start by marking “The Lightning Conjurer: The Awakening” as Want to Read:
The Lightning Conjurer: The Awakening

The Lightning Conjurer: The Awakening

(The Lightning Conjurer #1)

Three years ago, I woke up in an abandoned cabin in the middle of the forest. I couldn’t even remember my own name. Since then, I’ve been doing my best to stay off the grid. But this week? Well, that’s proving to be a problem.

It all began when I was riding my motorcycle down a quiet, one-lane road. From out of nowhere, a semi-truck started careening straight towards me. Ju
Published February 2019 by Amazon Digital Services (first published September 12th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Lightning Conjurer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lightning Conjurer

Start your review of The Lightning Conjurer: The Awakening
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 lightning hot stars!!

Addictive, spellbinding, electrifying! The Lightning Conjurer is an exhilarating adventure from cover to cover!

You know those rare books that, once you open and start reading you simply cannot set down until you've turned the very last page?! This book is one of them!

Three years ago, Aspen (as she calls herself) awoke alone in an empty cabin in the forest, not knowing her name, where she came from, or where she was. Since then, she’s been forced to live entirely off the g
Lucie V.
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, urban-fantasy
2.5 stars maybe... I realize this is an unpopular rating as I see all the 5 stars reviews.

The concept of an elemental magic-wielder hidden in our modern society and of a girl who can wield all of the element even though it has not been heard of for over 300 years is nothing extraordinary. Add to that the fact that the characters however were bland and boring and it sums up The Lightning Conjurer pretty well.

The beginning of the story with Aspen waking up in an abandoned cabin with no memories of
Alyssia Cooke
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie
This caught me from beginning to end and I just couldn't stop reading. Aspen knows nothing of her life prior to waking up in a deserted cabin in the middle of nowhere. Since then she has been living off the grid, with no identification and no bank account. Something tells her that she needs to stay out of sight and not draw attention, but she has no idea who or what she is meant to be hiding from. Her quiet life is disturbed however when she has a close call on her bike, with a tornado coming ou ...more
Allyson Taylor
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lightning Conjurer: The Awakening was an amazing read, absolutely great debut from this author. It's written from the perspective of Aspen, an early to mid-twenties woman with no memory of who she is.

I sincerely enjoyed that this 'finding out who you are' novel was written from an older perspective, I would call this New Adult (versus young or just plain adult) as it is a sense of discovery with more mature undertones and higher stakes. I don't want to spoil too much of anything because hon
Darcy Smith
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Holy Smokes on a cracker! This is one heck of a ride and I couldn’t put it down. It has so many twists and twists throughout the story. It pulls you in and glues you to your seat. Aspen is an excellent female lead, she is intelligent, kind, warm, with a side of feisty. She is down to earth but not letting anyone push her around. Aiden is a superb male lead where he is supportive and caring. He adds a beautiful element to the story.

Our other support characters like Evelyn makes the story have th
Rachel
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lightning Conjurer – The Awakening is the contemporary fantasy story that I’ve been longing for. Meet Aspen, a twenty-something-year-old woman living off the grid without any knowledge of who or what she is. The book is a real page turner and I could hardly put it down. The magical realism in the story transforms the Colorado landscape into a mesmerizing backdrop for Aspen’s journey of self-discovery. Furthermore, I appreciate how the author creates a magical world that still exists within l ...more
Claire
This was such a fun read and exactly what I needed!

Aspen is a great main character. She's strong without being obnoxious, and she still likes being girly sometimes. She can save herself, but she also has strong ties with her family and love interest.

The plot is pretty standard for a paranormal YA, but there were some interesting twists, and all in all I think it was a fresh take. There are certain tropes you always come to expect, but this one was different in all the right ways. The magic syst
David Cole
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I initially rated this first book as 4 stars, but then I read the rest of the series and better understood the set up. The 2nd and 3rd books explode after #1, and the plot becomes more powerful and suspenseful. This is a powerhouse of a contemporary fantasy series. I'd recommend to anyone, save for fans of Cassandra Clare, perhaps. Also, for the two reviews skewering this for "insta-love", read the rest of the series and you'll see that that simply isn't the case. There is nuance and complexity ...more
J Cole
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A few things about this book:

1) if you want the long, slow, flowery pacing found in epic fantasy or other slow-paced lit fic like Austen or Bronte, you're picking up the wrong book. The pacing is swift, cliffy, and every chapter ends in a punch.

2) the prologue of every book in the series is written in third person omniscient, but the actual meat of the story is written in first person POV. The brilliance of and reason for this is fully revealed at the end of the third book.

3) to truly appreciate
Kevin Kistler
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For me, this was a really interesting story, and Rachel told it very well. Some parts were predictable, but it was fast-paced and interesting. I would love to see this made into a movie. I'm going to look into getting the next in the series.
Marco Reubzaet
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Admittedly, I (too) rarely find myself reading a truly considerable number of pages in a book in a single sitting. Also, I tend to lean towards the classics rather than new publications. This book by Ms. Rener was an exception to the latter - and turned out to be an exception to the former as well.

Perfectly balancing description and action, the story was enticing from the get-go. (And the last 70-odd pages had me forget all about the world around me.) The author excels at summoning the desired a
Mary
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
interesting world, characters are flat or types

The story was most interesting at its beginning with Aspen’s missing memories and relationships with her next door neighbor and boss. Then the evil overlord organization showed up, the plot got rather formulaic, the characters felt very superficial and unreal, while the main characters started to do things that were just too dumb for words. Given the instalove, the superpowers and the idiocy, my interest in the story dropped right off and I had to p
Dani Hoyt
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
READ THIS BOOK (and series)!!!! I was completely blown away when I read these. There have only ever been a handful of books/authors in my life who have pulled me in and held me captive the way The Lightening Conjurer did! The characters are all well developed, the story believable, and the whole series is written with such emotion, you feel every emotion the main character feels, from the first page to the last. I cannot recommend this series enough!!!
cherie recore
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book paved the way to what seems to be an epic series. Love Aspen, and I have always loved the idea of Elementalists. The beginning was a little slow burning for me (which is NOT a negative in my book AT ALL) but you need everything, no information given goes wasted. I have a feeling there will be some interesting twists and reveals in book 2, diving in now!
Tina Merritt
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is such a great spin to normal elementals type books!! Loved it!!! Can’t wait to read book 2!! 💖💖
Sara Lawson
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Aspen has lived for the past three years without any form of ID or any memory of who she was. A kind neighbor helped her from time to time and she found a cash-paying job at the local diner, but since she didn't know the cause of her memory loss, she tried to stay off the grid. When she learned that she could audit courses at the local college (without any registration), she jumped at the chance, only to find that the assistant professor instantly hated her.

But that synopsis makes the story soun
Margie Page
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Little bit in love with aspen and aiden.
Very well written book with lots going on.
The story develops at a steady pace, has twists and turns and keeps you wanting more with each chapter.
The villain is the type of character you wish you could conjur up just to slap! The scenes set out for you are easy to imagine which helps you take your mind to the wonderful fantasy world we can hide away in.
The story did not end the way I thought it might, which is a relief, as with some paranormal romances the
candel
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great!

This is Good Stuff! Inventive. Full of magic. Lost memories and mysteries. Romance. There are some time-line editing errors - the kind that happen when you rewrite something several times. As in - she's curled up on the ground and then.. He knees buckle - but even with a couple of those the story just rocks.
Great Owl
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I was a boy I saw the first Superman movie in the theater. That night I wore my purple suit. I was looking good. By the end of the night, I was a superhero. I was in my underoos gripping a towel around my neck and jumping from my bed pretending to fly Lois Lane around. As an adult, this series had me missing my underoos. Make no mistake about it, this series is about superpowers, but it is also about love. I read book one, two and three. This series has it all. It is full of mystery. Things ...more
Carly
Oct 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Paddy Pikala
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked it! It was well-written and nicely developed.
The characters had clear motivations and believable personalities. I liked Aiden, Evelyn and Robert, but I had trouble liking the main character, Aspen, maybe because of her "I'm not like the other girls" attitude and hints of girl hate that transpired through her narration.
The author clearly thought through the world that she was building. It was very creative, consistent and interesting, and reminded me of the Umbrella Academy and of Micha
Rebecca
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a genuinely remarkable book. I thoroughly enjoyed its unique take on magical realism (the "science" behind the magic was riveting!), and I also appreciated the suspenseful and romantic elements as well. I could not put this book down; every single chapter was a cliff-hanger that made me insatiable for the next scene. Cannot recommend enough, VERY excited for book 2 in March!!
Brittni Selman
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finally got around to reading this and finished it today - it was amazing!
I love the way Rachel wrote Aspen's personality. And I love the way Aspen carries herself.
You feel like you're in the book with her as she figures out who she really is.
Favorite character? Aspen - that's a given - but Evelyn for sure is my favorite.
Christian Jeffress
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

This book was definitely a great and enjoyable read, with a fairly enjoyable cast of characters. Very much looking forward to reading the next installment in the series.
Catherine Mcfarlane
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing

enjoyed this book and ordered book #2 right away!
DeAnna
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
LiteratureLover
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-review-it
This book is action-packed!
I do not want to give away spoilers >< sorry it might be vague.
This is a first-person point of view. The story does hook you in once you start reading it. I felt that it was a generalization of feelings in certain moments that help establish the consequences. At the beginning of the book, there is a voice warning her that she shouldn't attract attention or be captured by them. You do not know who they are but you know there is a danger to her and this is her journey.
Lene Blackthorn
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fine read, captivating enough to hook me up for the next book in the series.
Aspen has no memories of her past, no ID, no real family. When her abilities suddenly awake, she is both terrified and curious - and wants answers. The more, the better. Who are her parents? How did she come to the extraordinary skills? And what kind of people are in the Order that is putting so much effort into recruiting her into their ranks? The more questions she has, the more determined she is to get the answers
Christina Morley
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Awakening by Rachel Rener is the first book in a Contemporary Fantasy series called The Lightning Conjurer. I have been hearing good things about this book and now I can see why! This story will hook you from page one! There's mystery, intrigue, and danger. There's also an interesting magic system. Aspen has been robbed of her memories and identity, but these setbacks have only made her stronger. Aiden is an associate professor who is trying to help Aspen. He has a backstory that we learn mo ...more
Alexandra Rose
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Rener has a wonderfully unique voice in writing, and she tells Aspen's story with such skill and familiarity. Where her writing is engrossing, Rachel's interpretation of magic as innate elementalism is at once profound and entirely original.

This story builds a unique world that so neatly exists alongside our own, and the characters are a treat to read. I read this book in two days, and in doing so, I am so ready to read whatever comes next from Rachel's talented, storyteller's mind.

If y

• The Rook (The Twisted Kingdoms #2)
  • Darkblood Prison: Demon Double-Agent (Supernatural Prison Squad Book 2)
  • Magitek (The Rift Chronicles, #1)
  • The Whimsy Witch Who Wasn't (Tales of Xest, #1)
  • Golden Mage (Empire of the Lotus, #3)
  • Crimson Mage (Empire of the Lotus, #1)
  • Copper Mage (Empire of the Lotus, #2)
  • Band of Breakers (Dragons Rising #2)
  • Childers (Childers Universe #1)
  • Damned Souls and a Sangria (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #8)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Battleborn Mage, #0)
  • Breaker
  • Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
  • Vegas Virgin
  • The Guest List
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Reaper Unexpected (Deadside Reapers, #1)
  • Evolution (Black Guard Series, #2)
Rachel Rener is the author of THE LIGHTNING CONJURER Series, a critically-acclaimed contemporary fantasy with elements of magical realism and romance. Her most recent release, THE GIRL WHO TALKS TO ASHES, remains at the top of Amazon's bestsellers list.

She graduated from the University of Colorado after focusing on Psychology and Neuroscience. Since then, she has lived on three continents and has

The Lightning Conjurer (3 books)
  • The Lightning Conjurer: The Enlightening