Start by marking “Trans+: Love, Sex, Romance, and Being You” as Want to Read:
Trans+: Love, Sex, Romance, and Being You

Trans+: Love, Sex, Romance, and Being You

Trans+: Love, Sex, Romance, and Being You by Karen Rayne, PhD, and Katherine Gonzales, MBA, is an all-inclusive, uncensored guide for teens who are transgender, nonbinary, gender-nonconforming, or gender-fluid. TRANS+ answers all your questions, easy and hard, about gender and covers mental health, physical health and reproduction, transitioning, relationships, sex, and li ...more
Published August 27th 2019 by Magination Press

To ask other readers questions about Trans+, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trans+

Start your review of Trans+: Love, Sex, Romance, and Being You
Em (Diversify Your Shelf)
* I am so honoured to have gotten this on Net Galley*

I would like to preface this review by saying that I am not transgender, so please do not assign my opinion equal or higher weight than those that are since it is not my lived experience.

So this book makes me want to cry in the best way. I haven't cried yet but I think I might be getting very close. I chose this book because I am trying to be a better ally and, because of some physical disabilities, I cannot physically do supportive things lik
Ava Budavari
I think this is a book that will help a lot of people, and is an extremely educational resource for both trans kids and allies. The stuff that is talked about in here is not taught in school, but is so, so necessary. I can’t wait for other people to start reading this!
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prose
A good resource that tries really hard. Not advanced or nuanced enough for where I am but absolutely a thoughtful intro to a lot of questions that emerging or curious gender feels might raise. Some omissions or fuzziness in language, but nothing egregious. Obviously from well intended views.
Nora
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm previewing this book as a resource for my school's GSA, which I sponsor. I picked up an advance copy at the American Library Association conference, where one of the authors was signing. Kathryn Gonzales inscribed my copy with words of support for my students that made me weepy. This is an INDISPENSABLE and incredibly approachable resource for kids, teens, parents, teachers, nurses, admin, counselors, and others. The authors cover everything from the theoretical to the medical to the social ...more
Kim
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
It's better than anything else out there that I've seen so far, and I'm looking forward to something that does even better.

I read the advanced reader copy (ARC), so there may have been a few changes to correct some of the oversights in the ARC.

Pros:

A number of trans and nonbinary teens shared own voice perspective throughout.

Lots of work to clarify language around every aspect of being trans, nonbinary, GNC etc, possible transition, etc.

Broke down what the Trans Narrative is and why it's bad.

Dra
Christina || All My Book Clubs Are Dead
I was so impressed by this book. It is so easy to read, well-written for its intended audience, and so, so inclusive (both in voices and subject matter). I have never read a book that touched on some of these topics. I think there is so much of value here and I was happy to share it with my non-binary spouse. We may not be teens anymore, but it is heartwarming to see a book that includes trans and non-binary kids today. I honestly can't think of one thing that was missing.

Disclaimer: I am a que
Faith Bradshaw
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book at my local library in order to learn more about the Trans+ community, and man was I informed! I hope to use what I learned while reading this book to be a strong ally to the trans community and further my understanding of the daily struggles some people face. If you're personally dealing with the issues faced by the trans community or just trying to combat ignorance I highly recommend this book!
Will
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
My librarian asked me to check this out to see if it's a good fit for the library, and I'll definitely be recommending it! While there were some formatting mistakes and missing information, I'm sure by the time this is published it will be a fantastic resource for trans teenagers! Each chapter has lots of useful information that is appropriate, accurate, and sensitive (along with first-hand personal accounts that make the book seem more relatable). The message is overall one of love, acceptance, ...more
Steff Pasciuti
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
| Review on Reader Fox Blog |

It's pretty ambitious for a book's synopsis to claim that a book will answer all of someone's questions on a particular topic. Fortunately, for Kathryn Gonzales and Karen Rayne's Trans+: Love, Sex, Romance, and Being You, I can honestly say that this book will at least answer a great many of your questions. Neither I, nor the book, can truly promise that the text within these pages will answer every question you have, of course. But the fact of the matter is tha
Naomi Ruth
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fict, own, ya
I really loved this book. It was written with teens in mind, but as someone sort of "new" to my identity (the problems of growing up without the language to describe myself) I found it a super useful reference. I absolutely want to go and look up all of the links at the ends of the chapters.
Nancy Lewis
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lots of really useful information for trans or non-binary teens coming of age.
Kay Carman
Nov 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I hear and read so often in the news of trans and non-binary issues that when I saw a review of this new YA book I thought it might help me become informed.

It's aimed at youth who are already living with these realities, and didn't contain basic generalities to educate those wondering what it means. I did learn some new vocabulary. It was the non-binary piece that I wanted to know more about, but I had to go to internet searches to discover how and when this identification began. I still don't
EsquiredToRead
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very much targeted for youth book on gender identity and other teen issues. It was informative, but it covered A LOT which also means it brushed past too much and barely scratched surface.

The beginning was solid but then it covered many topics really quickly without as much explanation.
Mary
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Trans+ is an expansive guide for teens across the LGBTQIA+ spectrum, especially those who are trans and/or non-binary, and their allies. Everything you need to know about living your gender identity is explained in a clear, uncensored, and accessible text meant to arm you with knowledge and to help you feel loved. Topics include gender, the body, transitioning, sex and relationships, and so much more. For allies like me, there is no better resource available for educating yourself about how to b ...more
Alex
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of Trans+ from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Trans+: Love, Sex, Romance, and Being You by Kathryn Gonzales and Karen Rayne is a young adult nonfiction book aimed at trans and nonbinary teens that covers a wide range of topics. The book is divided up into six main sections – introduction, body, transitioning, relationships, sexy times, and life – which are then further broken down; for instance, the “life” section includes chapters on family, schoo
iam
Great basic resource about navigating the world as a trans person, aimed at teens but great for adults too!

This guide is expansive and acts as a resource itself as well as linking additional resources on each chapter. A variety of topics are included belonging in the categories of Body, Transitioning, Relationships, Sex and Life. It encompasses both standard information that can be found in most books aimed at teens in puberty, but this book examines it all from a trans perspective that I found
Morgan
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt-greatness
First off, I'd like to thank NetGalley and American Psychological Association for providing me a copy of this book for an honest review!

This is a fantastic resource of information for someone who is or knows a Trans person. It's also fantastic if you're unsure of your gender identity, and provides a fantastic definition of most of the information you would need to kind of start figuring those things out for yourself.

As a Trans person myself, I was very interested in seeing what sort of informat
Cynthia D
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
*** I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review ***

This is a book that is definitely aimed towards teens and younger folks who are either questioning their identity or are looking to become more familiar with the wide range of people out there. It's an in-depth guide on coming out as a trans or non-binary person that is very inclusive of an array of family types, while not shying away from talking about issues that some might take as sensitive (e.g. body parts, dysphoria, physical chang
Anna Hepworth
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, non-fiction
My guess is that this is a great resource for trans, non-binary, gender-non-conforming and questioning teens in the USA. It is not quite such a good resource for those outside the USA.

The good: very accessible language, topics really well presented, lots of discussion of the good and the bad, how to increase the former and either decrease or live through the latter.

The not so good: While it does in places acknowledge the cultural biases in the material presented, there are also times where sta
Sire
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book will save lives. It's aimed at trans+ teens to give them the language that may not get from school or home. It feels as though it will make them feel less alone even in situations that they aren't accepted and gives resources to help them find community.

As a cis-gay man my intention for purchasing this book was to do the work on my own and find answers to my questions that didn't involve my trans friends doing the emotional labor of educating me (although they would).

Although this boo
Avery
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: never-finished, lgbtq
DNF. This book was a great resource. It is definitely directed to trans* youth who did little to no research before reading it. I found a lot of it repetitive information only because I have already done a ton of research on these topics.
If a friend or family member where to read this book they would have to really understand the emotions their friend or family member is going through in order to understand the way this book is written.
Caleb
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for the Trans community and for all those who care and love for the Trans community. The book is full of journal entries that reflect the reality of being trans. The book covers a breadth of topics and then lists out resources with helpful QR codes for those people who want to dive deeper.

BONUS: I read this with my book club during the pandemic and the author met with my book club via Zoom. She is extremely knowledgable and well-spoken!
Yuu
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, lgbtq2a
Clear, easy to understand. Provides directions to outside sources for further information. I think it would be a great place to start for the intended audience - I wish books like this were available when I was a kid.
Katie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AHHHH THIS BOOK IS SO AMAZING!!!!!!! Thoughtful, smart, serious, informative, gentle, loving, encouraging, hopeful, passionate. And it turns out the authors are both Austin people!!!! I'm giving a copy to every therapist I know who works with teens
Wes
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for youth questioning their identity or who identify under the trans umbrella.

I give this book to both my youth and young adult clients to read for better understanding of themselves.

I love the drawings of each of the people who have voices in this book.
Katie Oberacker
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this book really helped me understand what my trans friend is going through and how he’s feeling and how i can support and be there for him i’ve always loved and supported him i just never knew what he was going through and now i know and i’m so proud of him
Desiree (thebookof_desi)
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is centered around trans+ teens and allies but I think it is great for any age. It includes stories, helplines, discussions on sex, glossary as well and so much more information to help anyone who is trans and those who want to be an ally.
Sami
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this books. It would be a really good reference for those who might need it! Really would recommend.
Katelynn
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, lgbtq
Interesting and informative. Very much focused towards teens seeking to understand. Contains interesting personal stories from various contributors.
Sydney
Dec 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
I enjoyed this book quite a bit! It was very informative and interesting. I would reccomend it to most people interested in the subject!

• A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities
  • Gender Queer
  • The (Other) F Word: A Celebration of the Fat and Fierce
  • Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Guide for Teens
  • Sissy: A Coming-of-Gender Story
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • Letter from the Birmingham Jail
  • Orpheus Girl
  • The Queer South: LGBTQ Writers on the American South
  • Felix Ever After
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory and Finding Love(s)
  • Teen Titans: Raven
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Laverne Cox
  • Almost American Girl
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 5 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 5] (Witch Hat Atelier, #5)