Start by marking “Blackout (Kat Bronsky #2)” as Want to Read:
Blackout (Kat Bronsky #2)

Blackout

(Kat Bronsky #2)

Minutes after a Boeing 747 rises majestically into a Hong Kong sunset, a flash splits the darkening sky. The pilot - suddenly blinded and doubled over in pain - fumbles in the dark in a frantic effort to gain control as the huge jet shudders through its descent. Kat Bronsky, FBI agent and terrorism specialist, is assigned the hunt for a Challenger-class business jet seen n ...more
Published December 9th 2000 by Pan Books (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Blackout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackout

Anne
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I was really getting into it and then it just ended randomly. I guess that is because it is part of a series but I like a book with a plot arc. I put a hold on the next one though and look forward to reading it.
Michel Meijer
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
John Nance is an aviation advisor says his synopsis and it shows in this book. The storyline of this thriller is not too difficult: A laser weapon that blinds airline pilots has fallen in the hands of a terrorist group that wants to make big money out of it. Kat Bronsky, an FBI special agent gets some clues about this and the treath it poses and then the chase starts. There are quite some words spend on the mechanics of flying machines, like jets, helicopters, airlines and alike. As such that di ...more
Susan
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while I hit a book that is like a roller coaster ride. You get on and zoom to the end with no chance of stopping. Nearly all of John Nance's books are like this and Blackout is no exception. Some kind of bright flash of light blinds both 747 pilots as they fly out of Hong Kong for the United States. One of them actually dies on the spot. There are no other pilots aboard. And the roller coaster ride begins. Terrorists, conspiracies, information leaks, you name it, Nance included i ...more
Liz
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller, mystery
One of the best thrillers I've read in a while- though I don't usually read something this suspenseful! A plane disappears with hints of foul play- the story has you in the plane with the passengers- then another airliner is attacked and you are again a passenger- only this time a few survive including a tough female FBI agent. The rest of the book is the bad guys chasing the good guys with political intrigue mixed in. I couldn't guess the ending but it really has a message of a 2nd secretive go ...more
Joyce Johnson
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent thriller

I would give this book 10 stars if I could. Love the Kat Bronsky FBI character who believes in honor and following the oath of allegiance to the USA. The characters were genuine people with idiosyncrasies who came together when tragedies kept coming at them....Already have The Last Hostage ready to read! And a few more John J Nance books to go through. Great author!
Dkmarketing2gmail.com
Wow, great read

This book and the other Kat Bronsky book, The Last Hostage, are a wonderful way to escape a dreary winter weekend. I love all the John J Nance books I have read, and these did not disappoint. The plot twists keep you reading as fast as you can turn the pages and also leave you a tiny bit uneasy about taking an airplane ride.
Kasnmas
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard book to find a place to put it down for the night. The action never stops. Just when you think the story must be winding up, something else happens. The end is a total surprise. I have read a lot of John J Nance's books and they are all exceptional reads. Wish I could get more E-books from the library.
D. E.
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joan
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clara Green
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story by one of my favorite authors.

I enjoyed this story. You can never go wrong with a John Nance book. Kat Bronsky is a solid characters capable of waging a one girl attack on almost any "bad guy".
Elizabeth Thomas
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clever and interesting !
Rob Landi
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The story sissled and had me for the first 250 pages and then it went downhill badly. The story made law enforcement look inept, incapable, and clueless.
Amol Kulkarni
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of technical description of aircrafts and helicopters. The events are described in great details but the climax is not very intriguing
Lisa Barbour
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know nothing about aviation and there were many technical terms used throughout the book, but I couldn't put it down. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
ChrisGA
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: v-read-2018
Great suspense thriller
chucklesthescot
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was so engrossed in this book that I didn't want to put it down. A couple of deadly plane crashes have the government on edge so when a journalist approaches an FBI agent with information about the crashes, she is prepared to listen to him. She becomes convinced that there is a conspiracy when the journalist is almost killed. As his 747 takes off, a bright flash in the sky blinds one pilot and kills the other, leaving the passengers with the terrifying task of safely putting the plane on the g ...more
Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Kat Bronsky is an FBI agent in charge of counterterrorism. She gives a speech in Hong Kong where she meets a reporter for the Washington Past, Robert McCabe. She and McCabe are about to leave Hong Kong on a flight to LA when she is pulled off the flight. After the plane takes off it is attacked by a terrorist group and crashes, killing nearly all aboard, except McCabe and a few others. The story goes on from there. It involves rogue FBI agents, evil bad guys, corrupt government officials, narrow ...more
Leslie Erin Quinn
Jul 17, 2010 rated it did not like it
This is a terrible book. Cheesy and unimaginative dialogue from one dimensional characters who I found myself not caring about with a plot so achingly predictable that ends without much payoff. I'm happy for the author that he knows all about planes and flying but he should stick to nonfiction if that is all he wants to write about. If he wants to continue to write fiction, he should co-write it with somebody who has a bit more of an imagination. Avoid this like the plague. I imagine trying to r ...more
Marijn Vanbelle
Black out

Een Boeing 747-400 is net vertrokken van het vliegveld van Hongkong, als een explosie de gezagvoerder doodt en de tweede piloot verblindt. Met de hulp van een paar passagiers probeert de blinde piloot het toestel aan de grond te krijgen. Een vrijwel onmogelijke opgave. Kat Bronsky, FBI-agente en anti-terreurexpert, krijgt de leiding over de jacht op een klein Global Express vliegtuigje dat vlak voor de explosie in de buurt van de Boeing is gesignaleerd. Is er sprake van een ongeluk? Of
Space
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
John J Nance is a master at creating suspense in the air. All of his novels (so far as I know) take place on an aircraft. This one involves government conspiracy, murder, and all other types of ill radish. I have read most of the Nance novels, and very much enjoy them. This is the kind of suspense you can easily find yourself in, if you ever fly. Therefore, it's easy to get lost in these stories since they could easily happen to you. A lot easier than a time-travel, or a visit to Neptune, for in ...more
Helen
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. This book will elevate your blood pressure right off the charts. An FBI agent and a newspaper reporter are the targets of a shadowy terrorist group which has motive, money and meanness to kill anyone standing in their way. There is a very scary plane ride in a 747 after one pilot is killed and the other blinded by a high powered laser. Very impressive read that will keep the reader page turning at a furious rate.
Baz M
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I gave this a 5 as I thought it was a high 4.
With this book I have definitely found a new top author to start reading more of.
I don't think Nance's books are for everyone, but if you like suspense, planes and flying and a good variety of settings (from airports, to jungle, to cities, to the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest) then you'll like this.
Lauren Bradshaw
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read! The first chapter itself captivates you to continue reading. I have read this book about 6 times now, and i will probably read it another 6 more times. Its exciting, terrifying, vivid, realistic and filled with suspense. John J Nance is an author that i adore and love the majority of his works!
Chad Davis
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Well writen aviaiton suspense book. Able to be downloaded off the Cuyahoga County web site using Overdrive. Its a good read for everyone, but technically acurate enough to keep people in aviaion involved.
Sarah Eckert
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I think this was the third or fourth John Nance book that I read and, as with the other two or three before it, I could not put it down. A definite read for pilots or anyone who's interested in things that go flying in the night (and day)
Chris
Nov 02, 2008 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and it has a nice pace to the story. It is a bit predictable in my opinion, yet I was drawn into the story. I would recommend this book to friends that enjoy pulp fiction action adventure.
Pauline J
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a ride this was!

This book was incredible! The suspense alone was riveting! The reality that this really could happen in our own country was an eye-opener. Good job to this author!
Judy
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you like thrillers, you'll love this one -- i couldn't put it down. I guessed the bad guy but I didn't know why -- breathstopping action -- an FBI agent who was fantastic!!!

Sanjayan
Aviation Thriller.! It's interesting that the Author makes a passing remark about the possibility of terrorists hitting the twin towers with a passenger plane..!! : )
(Book was released in 2000)
Wayne
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aviation
A real pageturner. Hard to put down once you're into it.
  • Icefire
  • Runway Zero-Eight
  • The Man of My Life
  • Ignition
  • La cura del gorilla
  • Morituri
  • De hemel van Hollywood
  • Two Much
  • Blind Justice (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • Lupo mannaro
  • My Sweet Untraceable You (Lauren Laurano, #3)
  • The Ultimate Escape (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #4)
  • In the Name of the Father
  • Night and the City
  • Rolling Thunder (Wings of War, #1)
  • The Cutout
  • Never Cross a Vampire (Toby Peters, #5)
  • El rey de la Habana
John J. Nance is an American pilot, aviation safety expert, and author. He served in the USAF during the Vietnam War and also as a Lt. Colonel in Operation Desert Storm.

Kat Bronsky (2 books)
  • The Last Hostage (Kat Bronsky, #1)