Jump to ratings and reviews

My Secret Lies With You

Three close friends. Two unforgettable summers. One girl's darkest secret.

Alys appeared last summer, and then she vanished without a trace. Cait's new in town and she needs to know the truth: Who is Alys?

"A tantalizing story of summer, secrets and deep unease" - Sue Wallman, author of Lying About Last Summer

247 pages, Paperback

Published June 13, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Faye Bird

3 books65 followers
Faye writes fiction for young adults. Before becoming a writer she worked as a literary agent representing screenwriters in film and TV. She studied Philosophy and Literature at Warwick University, but has otherwise always lived in London, and still does now. Her second novel, What I Couldn’t Tell You, will be published on 1 May 2016.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 79 reviews
Profile Image for Hilly.
684 reviews1,219 followers
May 29, 2020
Am I condemned to dislike all books I manage to get arcs of?

This is one of the few times I don't really know what to do with the rating. I initially gave this book 1 star because I didn't enjoy anything about it, but I also felt pretty neutral towards it as it was so underdeveloped. I usually reserve 1 star ratings for books I really didn't like, but this one didn't give me any strong emotion. So, I'll probably treat this as I treat early dnfs, even though I read the entire thing.

This is a very old-fashioned YA, probably a book I would have read in 2008. It is advertised as a mystery but it's actually not. It's just a weird contemporary. There is no climax, no twists, and it is way too short and insignificant to leave a lasting impression.

All the characters are two-dimensional. It was easy to identify them and their povs sounded at least a bit different from each other, however only one personality trait defined them. Ifan was the shy passionate one, Marko was the kind one, Hannah was the bitchy one. The protagonist was too bland though, she had no personality whatsoever, and Alys was... just weird. Her motivations were illogical and unclear.

One of the things that annoyed me the most was how Cait kept complaining about the holiday. Excuse me, but you can afford to go on holiday. Instead, she whined about her friend being in Ibiza and wishing she was there. All the time.
Another thing was how Hannah behaved. She was always rude to everyone, and for no reason at all than to have her push everyone away so there would be more pages of drama.

What I find problematic is that this book teaches young adults that they can't be independent from their friend group. There is a scene in which everyone wants to jump off a cliff into the lake except for Hannah. She complained to them a lot (fair as they were risking their life) and then: "I didn't want to be the only one not to jump. I didn't want to be that person. [...] I was going to have to do this – jump with them. I had no choice. I had to do it. I couldn't be left up here, the only one who didn't jump, alone." Actually, guess what, you CAN. Like the old saying(?) goes, "if all your friends jumped off a bridge then would you too?" You can have friends and still be independent with your own choices.
This was a recurring thing, even Cait says once that "anything is better than being alone". Hmm no, thank you?

If the main character was plain, Alys was the weakest characters instead, which is way worse. The whole book revolves around her, and it's only because her actions didn't have a proper purpose, so the others naturally went around in circles trying to understand what was going on with her. For most of the book I actually thought she was a mermaid because of the fascinated way the other two guys acted around her and how Hannah didn't instead. But she's not, so what the hell was that? They had met her literally ten seconds before she asks them to take a car and go to the lake. And they immediately say yes... oook?

Maybe this was aimed at middle graders instead of young adults? Because it read like a really young book.
I hope more people will like it though! Because to me it seems like this is an under the average YA novel, but there must be something great there right? Or I wouldn't understand how it got to publication when there are many amazing YA manuscripts out there, still waiting for someone to pick them up.

I received an advanced reader copy through the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Lucy Noguera.
Author 2 books6 followers
July 7, 2019
My Secret Lies With You - Faye Bird

The cover and title are both a great choice. The blues, reds and the big glitchy font, reflect the story within, a great summer read full of mystery.

Cait is reluctantly heading off to Wales with her mum and her mum’s new boyfriend. She is still coming to terms with her father’s death and is desperate to avoid spending time on holiday with them.

So when Marco next door invites her to join him and his friends, she jumps at the chance. Cait soon finds out that the summer before another girl, Alys had arrived. She also knows something strange and unsettling happened - yet no one is willing to tell her what it was. Her arrival also coincides with a local teenager Ceri going missing.

The mystery behind the missing girl, the truth behind the girl last summer and her growing friendship with Marco provide Cait with just the distraction from her own life that she needs. Even the cottage and landscape provide a stark contrast to her life in London. But as the tension builds between the friends and the mysteries start to unravel, so do Cait’s family relationships...

So in short, My Secret Lies With You is a really gripping read. I thoroughly enjoyed it as an adult and I love that my teenage daughter is now reading it and loving it too!
Profile Image for Dimitar Iliev.
152 reviews5 followers
December 28, 2019
Odio goodreads, me ha borrado la reseña.

No voy a volver a escribirla, me quedó bien pero me da muchísima rabia que se perdiese.

En resumen, un libro muy ameno e interesante, engancha muchísimo.

Nota: 8/10
Profile Image for Rutuja Ramteke.
1,491 reviews54 followers
May 26, 2019
🌸My Secret Lies With You By Faye Bird🌸
Three close friends… Two unforgettable summers… One girl’s deepest secret…
Alys appeared last summer, and then she vanished without a trace.
Ifan fell in love with her.
Hannah hated her.
And Marko regrets what they did.
📚My thoughts: I have been in love with YA for a while now & I admire the amazing characters in them. When, I was 10 or so, I had actually read one of the book dealing with friends & summers but I just don't the name. Well, this book is solid combination of what I was looking for. Friends, humour, highschool peeps, long gossips, crazy things & a unknown twist. The author has done an amazing job altogether to bring the binge worthy characters to life. I mean, dealing with the entire was such a pleasurable job. After every chapter comes something new & worth looking at.
The admiration of every single thing that was taken into the book with a humongous efforts was considered by me, obviously, so if you ask me, then it was a read giving every bit of your heart & mind. The book not only portrays the beautiful friendship bond but also give worthy values for life. It teaches us a lot more things than I expected. The mystery factor, too was kept hand in hand. Also, it shall depend in the reader how they take it. But for me, I could relate with most of the bits of the book. I will definitely recommend it, because I liked it much.
Wishing a bit more of humour for the next time. A big wow, to the admirable cover.

Rating: 3.85🌟
Profile Image for Loie.
219 reviews17 followers
February 26, 2022
To be honest, this book really wasn’t it for me. I was expecting so much more from this book, and it didn’t deliver a single thing. It pains me to give books one stars, but I can’t rate this book any higher without lying.
* the story was painfully slow - I was expecting more action and mystery, but I never got it
* I was expecting some big plot twist to draw me in but there wasn't one
* the characters were annoying - none of them seemed like genuine people you'd actually meet
* it was unrealistic - meeting a girl for one day and becoming obsessed with her? The characters talk about Alys like they’d known her for years, yet they only knew her for, what, 6 hours? That's not believable in any way
* the ending was weird and after I'd finished I realised that nothing even really happened throughout the whole story
* all we learnt was what Marko, Ifan and Hannah got up to when they met Alys
If you're looking into reading this book, I would highly suggest skipping it and finding something else. It's just not worth the time.
My Wordpress review: https://loiereads.wordpress.com/?p=1859
Profile Image for lena.
127 reviews7 followers
August 1, 2019
4.5
The characters in this book were so fascinating to me. I found Cait such an interesting character to read, and her inner conflicts felt especially real and human. Marko and Ifan were great too. Hannah was the one I felt the least connected to, although I never thought of this as a bad thing, her character is just complex. The only thing which I felt slightly let this book down was the plot. It built up so well and I really felt invested, then it all sort of came to an end quite quickly. It wasn’t a bad plot by any means, I just felt it could have been developed a little bit more. I really enjoyed this novel though, and would love a sequel so I can get back to this interesting place and these characters! I’d also love to see what happens when (if!) Alys comes back. I’d love to see her reunion with the gang, especially Ifan.
584 reviews70 followers
May 30, 2019
3.5 stars. I received this ARC from Faye Bird, who is lovely, and I really enjoyed it. It was a classic summer contemporary thriller - quick and easy to get through. I might read some more Faye Bird as I liked the writing style - I know her books are available at the library.
Profile Image for Amburlea.
7 reviews
January 21, 2023
Powerful read.
I was gripped from the start with this book, wanting to know who Alys was and what was going on.

I also felt connected, knowing that feeling of being alone and lost as a Teen.

Trigger Warning: Ref to Suicidal Thoughts
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jenny (Bookbookowl).
559 reviews232 followers
July 9, 2019
Actual rating 2.5 stars

Thankyou to Usborne Publishing for providing me with a copy of My Secret Lies With You, in exchange for an honest review.

Cait doesn't want to be on holidays in Wales with her mum and her mum's new boyfriend, she wishes she was on holidays with her friend in Ibiza or anywhere warm and fun.  So when she meets the boy next door on her first day, she decides to hang out with him and his friends at a party.  As the days go on, her new friends don't seem to want to talk about the posters Cait has seen around town for a missing girl, but they do mention Alys, a girl they spent one day with last summer.  The trio haven't been able to get hold of her since and Cait wants to know just what happened last summer, and what happened to Alys?

The mystery in this book was slightly intriguing, but it just wasn't enough to overshadow the fact that the two girls, Cait and Hannah, were about the most unlikeable characters I've ever read.  Cait was so horribly self centred, childish and bratty I actually just felt mad throughout most of the book.  I wanted to give Cait's mother a hug.  And Hannah was just unlikeable and rude for the sake of it.  The blurb alludes to a 'dark secret' and Cait "needing to know the truth about Alys".  If there was a particularly dark secret, I missed it.  I mean, I saw the secret, but I'm not sure it could be described as dark.  I also still can't figure out for the life of me why Cait needed to know about Alys, who she'd never met, so badly.  The boys, Marko and Ifan were interesting characters and the actual writing was good - the descriptions of places and people were rich and detailed, making it easy to create the scenes inside my head, but ultimately the plot was a bit underwhelming in the end, and the characters' personalities had this one falling a bit flat for me.

MY BLOG ~ INSTAGRAM

description
Profile Image for stefiereads.
306 reviews118 followers
February 20, 2020
I actually have a problem with this book. I read it in summer and I lost my notes for this review. But look, I am usually the easiest person to please when it comes to reading. Especially when it comes to contemporary. But this book, I don't know why I suddenly become very critical? Is it me or it's the story? Who knows?
I gave it two stars because even though I have problem with it, I still appreciate the fact that it is a fast pace and it's keep me curious til the end. Other than that, my problem is that their friendship. In the book you'll find these two characters which is Ifan and Alys. Kind of not liking the insta love. Then they are in love, and after knowing each other for a while, Alys let Ifan knows her biggest secret. I don't think it's really capture that mystery thriller vibes. A lot of drama going on as well.. so yeah.. this is the only thing I remember. The rest, I couldn't remember again. I guess for me, and I don't know why, I feel like there's a lot of issues, and that I ended up very disappointed :(

*Thank you to the publisher for the review copy.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Rachel M.
11 reviews
January 13, 2021
To be honest, nothing really happens. It was such an easy read I found I kept reading to find out more but nothing actually did. The ending is also abit rubbish, I didn’t even realise it had finished it was that bad. A bit disappointed as it’s the first book I’ve purchased full price rather than through a charity shop or kindle for 99p. So feel a little bit annoyed I’ve wasted my time. Also found the story a little bit on the young side, something I would read in my late teens early 20s.
Profile Image for Alyce Hunt.
1,227 reviews21 followers
July 22, 2019
"If I explain it, I don't think it'll make any sense."

That quote pretty much sums up how I feel about My Secret Lies With You. Marketed as a YA thriller, I was expecting to be gripped by some summery drama á la Sue Wallman's Lying About Last Summer or Siobhan Vivien and Jenny Han's Burn For Burn trilogy, but instead I discovered a weird contemporary that didn't seem thought through in the slightest.

Cait is on holiday with her mum and her mum's new boyfriend Jonny when she meets Marko, Ifan and Hannah. Hannah is the stereotypical mean girl, cold and unwelcoming, while Marko is a typical love interest, hot and adorably friendly but without any idea of our protagonist's burgeoning feelings. Ifan is just... Ifan.

But it turns out they had a crazy day - yes, just one day - with a girl called Alys last summer, and it's haunting them to this day. So when a girl called Ceri Rees goes missing, a girl who looks suspiciously like Alys, all of the scarring memories of last summer are dragged to the surface once more.

Yes, "scarring" memories... Memories including jumping off a cliff because your friends did and you didn't want to be left out, even though you really didn't want to do it. Or kissing a girl. Or almost saving the life of someone who you thought was drowning, even though you're a lifeguard so you literally do that on the daily.

If the events that occurred on their day with Alys had been a bit more impactful, the story would have made a lot of sense. As it is I think this would have worked far better as a middle-grade novel, because marketing it as YA just doesn't make any sense when all of the things occurring are so vanilla.

There wasn't much difference between the characters and none of them were particularly memorable, which is a shame considering there are chapters written from each of their viewpoints. It was the perfect opportunity to really explore them, but the voice hardly changed throughout, and I found myself needing to flip back to the beginning of the chapter to work out which character we were following. That's never a selling point.

On the plus side, this book was really short and I managed to read it in a couple of days, so even though I found it rather exasperating I didn't waste a huge amount of my time on it.
9 reviews
November 8, 2022
meh and left dry
thats how i think id describe this book. it honestly was really good in the beggining i loved learning from differnet points of view but it seemed at the end we were almsot on looking an on looker she wasn’t really doing anything, Cait suddenly learns everything at the end and not an actual mystery i think this could be really intresting and it was so close but just not there. it felt really dry at the end after the letters like we’d skipped so many chapters suddenly, suddenly johnny’s gone and mum is nice and marko is now kissing the character and she’s still depressed over her dad. i think there could’ve been so much more with it,
ngl i didnt fully love the writing style it seemed really basic and the story was good in the past just not all the time
it needed a purpose but it had lost it in the pages. Like if its a mystery we need a full mystery not one i can figure out easily or close to, and did she really need to be in love? i think the characters just annoyed me too much.
ok enough about the bad.
THE GOOD
ok so this actually was a good story and i really enjoyed the good parts i’ll try add on any quotes i have if i can edit this review.
overally
really good and a good start to my mystery journey i think which is good just needed more in some places

(like a 2.9 -3.5 stars)

Quotes

“Well, yeah, no I don't know. I kind of think the monsters do still exist, it's just that they're different now."
‘And that feeling of liking all of someone - it was new.’ - 123
“When you like a person, you like them. You can't stop liking them, however much you try...you can't control something like that” - 117
May 26, 2020
I´m not completely sure what to think of this book. I like how it´s written and it beeing pretty easy and fast to read. But I think the charakters don´t have a lot of depth and I actually am a bit annoyed by them. Ifan is too obsessed with a girl he only saw for one day, Hannah´s pretty mean and biased from the start, what isn´t bad considering the whole Alys story, but I was actually wishing for her to loosen up a bit towards Cait in the end.
Talking about Cait- I just don´t understand why she needed to know about what happened to Alys/Ceri (a girl she never met) that bad. I also think her and Markos "lovestory" was a little rushed as well. Not only did it happen in just six days but I didn´t really feel it building, except for a few small comments about it before they actually got to make out. But maybe that´s because I feel like Marko is more like a means to an end than a fully developed charakter.

I also thought the end was a bit flat, I would´ve liked to know how they all lives a few months further. What´s going on with Cait and Marko? Are Caits mum and her boyfriend still together? How are Hannah and Ifan? Did they know the dead girl? And most importantly: What happenend to Alys/Ceri- does she come back, is she even alive, does Marko go to the police after all?
I think it would´ve "rounded" the whole ending and book itself a bit better.

In the end I don´t think it´s a bad book, maybe not quite complete or just not for me.
But I think if you´re younger you might like this book and it´s mysterious touch.
7 reviews
January 23, 2023
I really hate giving low reviews but goodness this book is bad.

The writing is terrible. It's really choppy and the dialogue is quite unrealistic. It doesn't match a normal pattern of conversation really at all. It's definitely a tell-me-with-words type of book and not a tell-me-with-feelings-or-description type which is frustrating to read.

The main characters are boring. They're not developed at all and things move really quickly with no real thought about it. Cait meets Marko and then goes to a beach party with him hours later like that's totally normal. The whole book takes place over the course of about 6 days. Cait in general is an annoying character. I appreciate there was an attempt to bring up drama and it had to link but the bizarre connection she feels to the missing girl is poorly written and not really realistic of a teenager at all. It was annoying to read.

The mystery is boring. Nothing really happens at all with it. This girl shows up a year earlier gives them a fake name, she's missing now and also a body shows up which we find out is completely unrelated and the girl who is missing (Alys/Ceri) is still missing. There's no suspense or drama leading up to the reveal and the reveal itself isn't either. It's summer love story type book with no feeling and a mystery thrown in which is not much of one at all really.

The best bit of the book was the reconciliation Cait has with her mum at the end. That was nice to read and made me teary.
Profile Image for Ava.
16 reviews1 follower
January 16, 2022
I borrowed this book earlier last year so I can't remember the exact details of what made me dislike this book, however, the whole time I read it I just felt annoyed. When I saw the cover and title I suspected this book would be a gripping YA thriller but the 'crazy' last summer plotline wasn't exciting at all. It was insanely predictable. Was I meant to be surprised Ceri was Alys? Is it that amazing that a LIFEGUARD saved a girl from drowning?
Not to mention how flat the characters were. Hannah was the stereotypical mean girl, Marko the typical love interest, Ifan was the awkward sorta quiet guy and Cait... well I just found her irritating. I couldn't differentiate the character's personalities in each of their point of view, which is usually the whole point of the multiple points of view; to show memorable aspects of each character's personalities through their own voice.
And finally, the ending was incomplete. We saw no character development. What happened with Cait and Marko? What about Cait's mum and her boyfriend? And most importantly, what happened to Alys/Ceri??? I feel bad leaving a bad review but I just don't understand how anyone could find this book even remotely thrilling.
Final note: I'm not sure if this is because I'm not British but the 'xx' at the end of each message really annoyed me or maybe I'm just being picky now.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Grace (Bookworm Supreme).
182 reviews87 followers
May 3, 2022
I usually reserve 1 star ratings for books that I hate passionately (ahem, TWILIGHT) & I didn't hate this one passionately- I just feel... nothing. It was all so bland. There are absolutely no admirable qualities about this book and I just couldn't bring myself to give it an extra star. I was expecting an exciting, well-plotted mystery and instead I got... this.

The characters are terrible. Cait is so uninteresting, Hannah bratty, Ifran boring and Marko the stereotypical "cute guy". And Alys herself... she had literally no personality. 250 pages after meeting these characters and they still feel like I just read their introduction. They are cardboard cutouts, pure and simple.

The writing was BLAND. Faye Bird's writing style is monotonous and repetitive and holds no redeeming qualities. There's no tension, no descriptions, nothing that makes me want to keep reading. I actually can't believe this is the author's third book- it reads like a very clumsy debut.

There was basically no plot. Most of it consisted of days on the beach with friends. And the "mystery" was basically non-existent. A tiny development turned up 3/4 through, but then it just fell flat.

This book was a mess. I regret wasting my time on it and hope no one else will make the same mistake.
Profile Image for Alana.
151 reviews
March 31, 2021
What happened to Alys? This story follows three friends, over two summers, and Cait who is on holiday gets brought in to what happened last summer.

The synopsis sounded intriguing and I love a YA novel and have to say it was ok, not amazing but ok. I read it in one evening (about 3 hours) as is a fairly short book and it was enjoyable. I liked the characters although it was all a bit strange how Cait got so wrapped up in everything so quickly but I guess there wouldn't have been a story otherwise 😅 Marko was supposed to be a lead character but don't feel we really learn much about him, Ifan you get a glimpse in to him a bit and Hannah just seems angry and hurt the whole way through which I guess teenagers can be like that.

The story is something different, not a rehash of the same old story so that was good, nice to read something a bit different for a change. I struggled a little with the flow of the book how it goes from Cait being with the group of friends and some interesting bits to the next chapter she is waking up in the holiday cottage, felt a little disjointed but otherwise a good read.
Profile Image for Beth.
425 reviews4 followers
January 18, 2020
A contemporary thriller that just had me gripped from the beginning.

It was so enjoyable this book and I just didn't want to put it down once I started it. 3 friends find themselves caught up in something. Something much bigger than most of them can handle. We follow the 3 friends and Cait the new girl. Alys is a mystery to us and it is fascinating to read about all these characters, about their pasts, their lies and what that summer did to them. A girl is missing and Cait is determined to find out what has happened and what happened last summer?

I really enjoyed reading about all of these characters. It alternated between the past and present which I felt gave the book more suspense. I also really love how descriptive this book was. The author is a fantastic writer who is able to grip the reader with her setting and mysterious characters that you just want to find out more about.

​Can't recommend it enough!
Profile Image for aboutbooks6.
9 reviews
July 23, 2020
I was super excited to read this book. But I got disappointed.

I absolutely liked the setting, the atmosphere and the writing style. But that’s it sadly.

The characters had not really any depth. I couldn’t understand how two guys can get so manipulated by a girl. Ifan has been obsessed with her since minute one and also Marko sticked to her without knowing Alys. And Hannah was all the time jealous and freaked out.

Even the love story wasn’t build up good. I sadly disliked that too.

And the mystery part wasn’t good either. I couldn’t understand the reasons for it. Why do you want to run away from the only family member you have left?
It was manly about Ceri/Alys manipulate everyone around her.

I really would have liked to know what happens a few months later. Are Cait and Marko still dating? Are Cait‘s mum and Johnny still together? What happened to the friends?

But the most important question is : DID ALYS COME BACK? is she alive? Where is she?
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Mary Howard.
62 reviews1 follower
February 20, 2021
This was our book club book chosen for February. I think the fact that I have finished it mid February should speak volumes about how much I enjoyed it. It was a fairly short book but it packed a lot of drama and mystery into quite a short space, it really was only about less than a week but the way it was split into everyone's opinions and experiences was great. I was convinced at one point that it was going to turn out to be a spooky book but no it was simply a thriller about life and how difficult it can be.

I must say, it does slightly oversell it's mystery with Marko's line - I'm not 100% sure that Marko was needed for any other reason than to bring Cait into the plot. But I did like him. I liked all the characters to be honest, they all brought something different to it and together built up the plot to turn this missing girl story into something that seemed a little bit more sinister.

As well, I think Cait should be grateful that she has such a lenient mother. My own mother wouldn't have dreamed of letting me go to a party on the beach with a complete stranger on day one of my holiday. She would've hit the roof haha.

It was well written, clear and enjoyable with a good plot and an interesting concept. Good solid book, I would look to read more by this author!
16 reviews1 follower
August 8, 2021
Average read.

This summer Cait is on holiday in Wales with her mum and step-dad who she doesn’t like. She meets Marko (a lifeguard) who she falls in love with. Marko is friends with Hanna and Ifan, they all met a girl last summer who wanted to be known as someone else due to her past. The story makes you think she has killed herself due to a body being found but she hasn’t, she has just gone missing and left a box which explains her behaviour last summer and how she wants her secret to be kept. Her secret is that she has a blue butterfly tattoo in memory of her mum who died in a car crash and the fact that she wants to be free to be someone she isn’t.

The book is about holiday romances, friendship, adventures (cliff jumping, lake swimming) and a teenager (Ceri Rees who wants to be Alys) with a troubling past who tries to cope in ways she knows how.
September 10, 2020

Loved it! It really is a tantalizing and emotional story, a story of new beginnings and endings. I thought it was a real PT and I read it during lunch, the morning and this evening! The book not only portrays the beautiful friendship but also gives important values for life and an understanding of change. I love most YA books and this one is living up to all my expectations! I also really liked the way ‘Alys’ has ‘more than one identity’. This I thought was very ‘cool’ as it showed how life can be changeable and what we think we know is not always correct. I am really enjoying the final chapters of this book! I would have liked it though if the ending had been a little deeper and longer.
December 29, 2022
I really enjoyed the descriptive locations within the book and at times felt like I was right there however the storyline seemed very bland despite the promises of a dark secret.

It’s a short book and this limits the detail of the plot. I found it to be very young and it might be a mystery more suited to tweens as there is some mild peril but nothing too thrilling.

The writer touches on friendship issues, trust and complex families but again these were not explored in any great depth.

Sad to say I didn’t enjoy this book but can see how young people may be interested in the friendship aspects of the novel.
Profile Image for Danielle Dent.
807 reviews6 followers
January 15, 2022
I always feel bad leaving a negative review for a YA novel, as I am aware I am not the target audience for the book and therefore it feels a bit unfair however I have read loads of YA novels that I’ve really enjoyed and unfortunately this wasn’t one of them. The plot was flimsy, the characters one dimensional and the story itself was just underdeveloped. Nothing actually happened and there was no mystery, no plot twist, no intrigue. The main character was very bland and the whole thing didn’t dig very deep under the surface of what was really going on for these young people.
6 reviews
July 22, 2022
The summary is very catchy, but this makes me kinda overrated the content at first and expected a more surprising, unpredicted end and plot from the book ( i feel like ive read this kind of plot somewhere befoee). It was ok, i finished within one day but it didnt impress me and i barely even remember a thing about that book the day after. This one might be good for new beginner because it has simple phrases and vocabs, not too complicated but if you are a book worm then i would not recommend this because it will only just waste your time
Profile Image for Rosie Robinson.
19 reviews
September 16, 2022
I really enjoyed this but perhaps that's because there were so many resonating features with my own life:
A love of North Wales. I knew the places mentioned and could imagine myself there.
Teenage angst and feelings of 'not fitting in'
Loss of a parent during teenage years
Adapting to a step parent on the scene
First love/relationships
Needing to be someone different just to get away from previous self.

I won't say more as don't want to give the plot away but I felt this was definitely my kind of book.
Profile Image for Zoe James-williams.
76 reviews12 followers
August 20, 2019
A mysterious girl Alys appeared one summer only to vanish without a trace. This summer Cait arrives for a holiday in Wales mourning the loss of her father while dealing with her mother's new boyfriend. Told from four perspectives this is a classic whodunnit with a twist in the tale. Secrets and lies, friendships and family, love and loss are intertwined in this fast-paced thriller. A perfect summer read for fans of Pretty Little Lies and Riverdale.
Profile Image for Tamsin Winter.
Author 4 books123 followers
July 1, 2019
I loved the beautiful setting, the friendships were real and intriguing, and most of all I could not figure out what had happened! A perfect summer YA mystery/thriller with a little dollop of realistic and brilliantly written romance. I am a sucker for a multi-narrative and this is a total page turner.
August 21, 2019
I think that it was a very good book (please note it’s very short and can be finished within a day) the whole plot drags along a bit, some parts are boring (i suppose every book has boring parts) but this one didn’t have many exciting moments, however would still recommend this for girls & boys aged 8-12.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 79 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.