Start by marking “Our Favorite Day of the Year” as Want to Read:
Our Favorite Day of the Year

Our Favorite Day of the Year

A heartwarming picture book following a group of boys from different backgrounds throughout the school year as they become the best of friends.

Musa’s feeling nervous about his first day of school. He’s not used to being away from home and he doesn’t know any of the other kids in his class. And when he meets classmates Moisés, Mo, and Kevin, Musa isn’t sure they’ll have muc
Published June 30th 2020 by Salaam Reads / Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Our Favorite Day of the Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Favorite Day of the Year

Start your review of Our Favorite Day of the Year
Kathryn
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

Wonderful idea for a picture book. I very much appreciate the heart of this book. We need more books like this! I just think it’s trying to be a bit too much, maybe? It just felt like a little too much -- and also too little -- for the intended audience.

The children are kindergartners in the book but the book seemed just a little overwhelming for my almost five-year-old because we are introduced to so many different names and traditions.

It is difficult to tell who Musa (the main child
LaDonna
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to LaDonna by: Ellen
You know by now that I am always in search of great books to share with my students. It brings me so much joy to read and then discuss these literary finds, whether they are old or new. Our Favorite Day of the Year is my of the newest finds that I look forward to sharing.

It is important to acknowledge the fact that A.E. Ali, along with illustrator, Rahele Jomepour Bell have created a work that embraces both diversity and multiculturalism. We are invited into a Kindergarten classroom that lo
Abby Johnson
It's the first day of the new school year, Ms. Gupta's very favorite day of the year as she greets her new class and starts to get to know them. She tells them that she wants to know each of their favorite days and they will celebrate them together as a class to get to know one another. As the year goes on, we see them learning about Eid al-Fitr, Rosh Hashanah, Las Posadas, and Pi Day.

I love, love, love seeing overtly secular representation in the family celebrating Pi Day. Although they're not
Katrina
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! As the students in the book share their favorite celebrations through the year (featuring Eid al-Fitr, Rosh Hoshanah, Christmas, and Pi Day) watch how the (Hindu!) teacher participates! She sits and listens while the child is the expert, she dances in celebration, she sits together with them as circle time. It’s beautiful! A lovely model for empowering students in their stories and identities, and not relegating “Multicultural” to a single day.
Shireen Hakim
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children
Musa celebrates Eid, Moises celebrates Los Posades and Kevin celebrates Pi Day!
The other kindergarteners understand why that is each of their favorite day because they explain it to them in class.
A cute story of tolerance and holidays.
Tasha
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Musa started kindergarten, his teacher explained that the other children around him would become his new friends. Musa wasn’t sure about that, they were strangers! His teacher also said that her favorite day of the year was the first day of school and that show-and-tell that year would center around each child’s favorite day of the year. Musa was thrilled, he knew that everyone would pick Eid along with him! Musa soon found out that the other children celebrated different holidays. A few we ...more
Miss Sarah
In one kindergarten classroom four boys introduce their classmates to their favorite holidays. Very diverse and informative.Elementary and up
Megan Sanks
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was a sweet way to introduce kids to different holidays people celebrate
Tanya
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to love a book that has pi day as one of its holidays. We celebrate by making savory pies such as chicken pot pie of shepherds pie. We also make a sweet pie and that varies each though apple pie and key lime pies are notable favorites.
DaNae
A nice addition to our holiday shelves.
Erin Buhr
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books
A beautiful, warm story about starting a new school year and different cultures. Their kindergarten teacher invites each child to share their favorite day of the year with the class during the year. Only four of the days are shared, but they offer a wide variety of days that are celebrated by different families. I love how it encourages us to share our different family traditions. I also love that it goes beyond just your typical holidays found in picture books. A great book to share at the begi ...more
Anthony
A group of kindergarten students get the opportunity to share their favorite day of the year with their classmates. As the school year progresses many different cultures, traditions, and observations are shared between each classmate.
Molly
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations, a great topic, and delivered in a really understandable and engaging way. Highly recommend for adults wanting to introduce some young people to diversity.
Maleeha Siddiqui
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fun story about the beauty of different celebrations set in a kindergarten classroom! The illustrations are so festive, too.
Marissa Elera
What a wonderful, incredible solid story that will perform beautifully when shared with children. It celebrates diversity while steering clear of becoming didactic or preachy. The structure of the story is the right amount of length, repetition, and authenticity to the childhood experience. Bonus: stunning illustrations. A new favorite.
Becky
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emily
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cultures-rec
Ages 6 and up. Each kid in a kindergarten class takes turns celebrating their favorite holiday until the school calendar is bursting with festivities.

There is one little hitch: One child celebrates Pi Day on March 14th, which only works in the U.S. - the only country where dates are written as month/day/year. This could be a chance to explain such international diversity to kids, but might simply confuse others.
Kris
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Perfect little picture book about building community and sharing customs.
Lisa D
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Great book for kids to learn about different cultures & holidays! ...more
Lisa Yee Swope
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A diverse classroom, a yearlong show and tell challenge. Share your favorite day with everyone. The students go from strangers to friends by sharing their families and their customs and holidays with each other. Rodgers and Hammerstein says "you've got to be carefully taught", and I've always held that the best way to learn about other cultures is to meet people who come in all different shades, and taste their foods!
Bookish
This book belongs in every kindergarten classroom in America.

A warm story espousing friendship, diversity, curiosity, and inclusion, with cheerful digital collaged illustrations.
Leslie
When, on the first day of kindergarten, Ms. Gupta tells the children that “these faces will become your closest friends this year,” Musa has his doubts. Looking at the boys at his table, all Musa saw “were total strangers.” But Ms. Gupta (and author A.E. Ali) offers a clever way to bring them all together.
Ms. Gupta wants each of the children to think about what their favorite day of the year is. Hers is the first day of the school year. Throughout the year, the class will celebrate that favorite
Baby Bookworm
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is Our Favorite Day of the Year, written by A. E. Ali and illustrated by Rahele Jomepour Bell, a lovely tale of friendship and diversity.

On the first day of kindergarten, Ms. Gupta tells the class that by the end of the year, they will become close friends with their classmates – but Musa isn’t so sure. As a way to learn about their classmates, Ms. Gupta encourages them each to share their favorite day of the year. Discussing his own favorite, Eid, with his tablema
Mary
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our Favorite Day of the Year, written by A. E. Ali and illustrated by Rahele Jomepour Bell, introduces us to Musa. He’s nervous about his first day of kindergarten and worried about connecting with his classmates. Musa’s teacher, Ms. Gupta, excitedly tells the students that throughout the year, each child will have a chance to share about her favorite day of the year, so that the class can celebrate too. Along with Musa’s classmates, readers learn about Eid al-Fitr, Rosh Hashanah, Las Posadas, a ...more
Jared White
This book has wonderful diversity. It was fun to learn about a few holidays which people celebrate throughout the year and I liked that one of them had no religious connotations (Pi Day). I also like that one of the little boys is wearing a shirt with floral print (I'm a fan of floral prints as well) and that another little boy has a little ponytail with a pink hair doodle/hair tie (pink isn't a personal favorite but I do appreciate normalizing a boy liking it).

I did not like that, though the cl
Annamarie Carlson (she, her)
Musa's kindergarten teacher, Ms. Gupta, proposes a yearlong show and tell, where each child shares with their classmates about their favorite day of the year. This way, the whole class will celebrate these important holidays all together. Four children present their favorite holidays throughout the rest of the book, emphasizing Eid Mubarak, Rosh Hashanah, Christmas (with some Latinx cultural elements), and Pi Day. Other holidays are shown in the back of the book.

I love this approach to celebrat
Diane
“Look around the room. You don’t know them now, but these faces will become your closest friends this year.”

The teachers of Musa’s class explains that her favorite day of the school year is the first day because she loves meeting new students. The students are a bit skeptical. But students share their favorite day with their classmates throughout the year. They celebrate Eid al-Fitr, Rosh Hashanah, Las Posadas, and Pi Day. At the end of the school year, the teacher gives them a calendar with all
Krissy Neddo
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I will be in the minority, but for me this was 2.5 stars. Great concept- I was looking forward to a new multicultural, diverse holiday book to share with my first grade teachers, but it missed the mark for me. For one, I wish author had not specified Kindergarten. Limits book as a read aloud more to Pre-K-K.
I also agree with one reviewer who mention a pronunciation guide. Yes, I can look it up, but teachers/caregivers are busy and it would have been nice as a list on the final page. And persona
Sandra
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked reading this to Hunter, I love the way the class celebrates everyone’s special holidays together; there would be a lot more understanding if public schools did this for real. The text stresses that the kids teach their friends the correct way to pronounce the names of the holidays, so I wish there was a pronunciation guide for the reader so I could be sure I was saying it right - although that’s nothing a little google can’t fix.

I really wish the book had been longer and more day
Aolund
While perhaps a little text-heavy for a storytime read, this would make a great book for sharing in first grade or kindergarten, or as a one-on-one read. The book is gorgeous, with beautiful endpapers and attractive, textural illustrations. The four main characters start out not knowing one another on the first day of school, but through sharing their favorite holidays (Eid, Rosh Hashanah, Christmas, and Pi Day) they learn more about one another and have fun celebrating each other's treasured tr ...more

• Nana Akua Goes to School