Start by marking “How the Dead Speak” as Want to Read:
How the Dead Speak

How the Dead Speak

(Tony Hill & Carol Jordan #11)

Expected publication: August 22nd 2019 by Little, Brown

Ceecee
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very pleased to receive this as I have read all the previous books in the series. However, it is perfectly possible to read this as a stand-alone. As you would expect there are several strains to the story as Tony Hill is in prison and Carol Jordan has left the police force. The scenes with Tony in prison are very vivid and the fear is tangible. Typically Tony puts his skills to good use and helps his fellow prisoners in various ways and I like this aspect. The story is interspersed with s ...more
Craig Sisterson
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, british
There are longstanding authors whose series plateau or dip after so long; one of many impressive things about Val McDermid’s crime writing is the way she continues to push herself and her characters, finding fresh stories to tell, issues to explore, and never leaving things static.

How The Dead Speak is a great example of that. The eleventh novel starring profiler Tony Hill and detective Carol Jordan sees the duo separated, and both struggling with new situations after the cataclysmic ending to
Elaine Tomasso
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Grove Atlantic for an advance copy of How the Dead Speak, the eleventh novel to feature former detective Carol Jordan and forensic profiler Tony Hill.

When a developer discovers old bones in the garden of a former convent, DCI Rutherford, the head of the reformed ReMIT (regional major investigation team), is desperate to investigate and takes over the enquiry. In the meantime Carol Jordan and Tony Hill, former stalwarts of the team, are pursuing their post poli
Heather Fineisen
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid entry in the series. McDermid does not disappoint, always staying on the cusp of new technology and current events. Everyone is moving on in a new direction with Paula being showcased. Character development is moving right along as Tony and Carol' s relationship evolves. A favorite series.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley
Lorraine
My most grateful thanks to NetGalley for an advance copy of this very much anticipated book.

When we last saw Tony and Carol, their lives had changed forever. Tony was going to prison and Carol had resigned from the police. Now over a year has passed, and Tony has forbidden Carol to visit him until she gets treatment for PTSD. This she reluctantly does. Then she is approached by Tony's lawyer to join her new group which hopes to find new evidence to release innocent convicts from prison. Also, To
Cheryl M-M
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is book 11 in the Tony Hill and Carol Jordan series, and after reading this one I absolutely will have to go back and re-read previous one. Tony is sat in jail for killing someone and Carol has retired from the police force. What the heck happened?

Breathing fresh air and new ideas into a long-term series isn't easy when you have a huge solid fan-base. Readers don't always like drastic changes. Kudos to McDermid for giving readers what they need without them being aware that they need it.

Put
Vicki
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How the Dead Speak is book number 11 in the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series. Though it is the first book in the series that I have read, I personally had no trouble following the story. There are a few things that would help to explain the characters a bit better had I read the previous books but it in no way took away from this particular book.

The main characters in the story are complex and flawed but nonetheless it helps make them more real. Each chapter goes from one persons situation to the n
J Earl
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How the Dead Speak is the eleventh Tony Hill/Carol Jordan book from Val McDermid and, while having a different feel still manages to satisfy.

If you're a reader of the series, you might wonder how there could be another volume without essentially erasing the results of the previous one. Well, McDermid managed to write a compelling novel while not disrupting the fictional world we inhabit in these novels. So, yes, Tony is in jail and Carol is no longer a cop. Yet this works here. I'll admit some p
Sharon Sample
I haven’t read any of the previous Tony Hill and Carol Jordan series and was disappointed with this book.

Forty female bodies are found in unmarked graves in a former convent school. What happened and why? But, then the plot gets muddled with the discovery of eight male bodies. The elite ReMIT team takes on the challenge. A couple of subplots scramble the story even more and felt like they were added just to include Tony and Carol.

Why do experienced writers use so many different points of view
Sharon S
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Realistic, shocking, thrilling, scary.

The novel has exerts between each chapter describing different kinds, types, and details of different crimes. Each one detailed as to who, why and how a stalker, murderer or rapest goes about their intentions. Then the story follows with what's happening to the current characters.
Definitely a fun read with multiple crime scenarios.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC eread. Review will be on Amazon on publication day.
Chris Nolan
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

A new novel featuring Tony Hill and Carol Jordan is always an enjoyable experience and How The Dead Speak is no exception. However, with Carol no longer in the police and Tony in prison, the nail-biting tension that has made this series so tremendous is lacking to a certain extent. Carol's old team are carrying on without her but new roles have been found for both Tony and Carol. Still an enjoyable read but is the series reaching its end?
Roxanne Spencer
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Val McDermid shows us why she is a master of the suspense novel. Carol Jordan and Tony Hill are in very different places--both literally and figuratively--in How the Dead Speak, and must make sense of their new circumstances. McDermid gives us an intriguing crime, but the real story here is Carol's and Tony's journeys.. Strong characters drive this story.

I received a digital ARC via Netgalley.
Brenda Freeman
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first in this series for me. I have read three other series by her and now must add this one as one to catch up on. The Carol & Tony parts of the story were good, but I enjoyed the detective workings and building of a new team as they work their first case together. The different dynamics were what made this book for me.
Julie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucky enough to get a reading copy .. I loved it ..got a little lost on some of the side plots and to their purpose , but brilliant .. Carol Jordan and Tony Hill characters are my fave .. like the previous this one leaves the way to just carry on ...
M
Helen
May 19, 2019
Cheryl Menard
May 19, 2019
Val McDermid is a No. 1 bestseller whose novels have been translated into more than thirty languages, and have sold over eleven million copies.

She has won many awards internationally, including the CWA Gold Dagger for best crime novel of the year and the LA Times Book of the Year Award. She was inducted into the ITV3 Crime Thriller Awards Hall of Fame in 2009 and was the recipient of the CWA Cart

Tony Hill & Carol Jordan (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1)
  • The Wire in the Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2)
  • The Last Temptation (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #3)
  • The Torment of Others (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #4)
  • Beneath the Bleeding (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #5)
  • Fever of the Bone (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #6)
  • The Retribution (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #7)
  • Cross and Burn (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #8)
  • Splinter the Silence (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #9)
  • Insidious Intent (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #10)