Start by marking “Throw Like a Girl” as Want to Read:
Throw Like a Girl

Throw Like a Girl

Friday Night Lights meets Morgan Matson's The Unexpected Everything in this contemporary debut where swoonworthy romance meets underdog sports story.

When softball star Liv Rodinsky throws one ill-advised punch during the most important game of the year, she loses her scholarship to her fancy private school, her boyfriend, and her teammates all in one fell swoop. With no
Published January 7th 2020 by Poppy

To ask other readers questions about Throw Like a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Throw Like a Girl

Start your review of Throw Like a Girl
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I don't normally go in for the cute, fluffy books, but the prospect of a female quarterback playing on an otherwise all-male team was too intriguing to ignore. My high school actually had a girl playing on the junior varsity team, and since I went to high school a while ago, people made a much bigger deal of that then than they did in this book. Sexism in sports is a real thing, yo.

THROW LIKE A GIRL is about a girl named Liv. She's the
Jennifer Iacopelli
I'd say sports fiction is my favorite genre and category, except that I'm way too picky to enjoy most of it. So, please know when I say that THROW LIKE A GIRL is utter perfection, I well and truly mean it. Sarah Henning has done the near impossible, writing an epic, swoony romance and balancing it with the heart and soul of an elite athlete's journey to self discovery all the while keeping the on the field play authentic and exciting. Fear not sports-novices, the feats of athleticism are ...more
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

First, I have to give this book high praise for the fact that it's a contemporary sports romance within the Young Adult genre. Maybe it's just me, but I typically have difficulty finding a sports romance in YA. I am able to find stories that include sports to some degree but the involvement of the sport in the story is usually minimal.

Another unique aspect within this particular novel is that the main female character plays a sport. This was very refreshing and different for me because
Dahlia
I desperately wanted something fun, so I dug into my 2020 ARC stash and this did NOT disappoint. Sports Romances in YA that contain actual sports are so rare, and this is one of the most knowledgeable ones I’ve read so far, which is no surprise given the author. On top of that, I really love the way it balances not just romance but all these great family moments and friendships. This was just everything I love about light contemporary romance. (CW: Homophobia, in the first chapter)
Tucker
Sep 29, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
does anyone know who the male cover model is... because he is fine as hell
Lindsay
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book. Absolutely fantastic and I would definitely read it again.
The Nerd Daily
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Ellie King

Throw Like A Girl is the contemporary debut for author Sarah Henning. With two books already on her roster, Sea Witch and its exciting sequel Sea Witch Rising, this new novel is a dramatic change of pace for readers. Henning’s previous works fall squarely in the fantasy pool, but this entertaining story introduces the reader to the world of elite high school sports.

It is the story of champion softball player Liv Rodinsky and the
Stacy Fetters
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I try but fail to wash the loss out of my hair- Garnier Fructis can only do so much."

I have a confession to make... I’ve never read a book written by Morgan Matson or watched the television show, Friday Night Lights. So this was an entirely new experience for me and I was really impressed. This was an amazing girl-power read with some cuteness thrown in.

I went in expecting this to be another sexist read with a super swoony romance but it wasn’t. I was pleasantly surprised when things turned out
Susan's Reviews
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it when an author takes a trope and turns it on its head!
In Throw Like a Girl, you do indeed get all the usual tropes to be found in a typical Y.A. novel.
Boy Meets girl, and they fall in love.
Boy talks girl into joining the high school football team as his relief quarterback.
Girl ends up helping to lead the team to the state championships.
But alas, boy harbors secrets that ultimately shatter her trust, and they break up.
Boy apologizes and she accepts his sincere apology, but won't
Samantha (WLABB)
Though her reasoning was solid, Liv should not have thrown that punch, or as she liked to call it, "the punch heard round the world." She acted impulsively, and now, she might have lost everything. But, she had a plan. She was going to prove, that she could be a leader, a teammate, and someone who could be relied on. With the help of the current QB, and support from some likely and unlikely sources, Liv was ready to set her plan in motion.

This was pretty much love at first page for me. Henning
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
I’ve always loved the saying “throw like a girl”. People say it as an insult; but I liked to take it as a compliment. That meaning has no merit in terms of trying to put down a woman because she isn’t as “strong” as her male counterpart. Instead, I’d like to think of it as meaning you’re badass and why the hell wouldn’t you want to throw like a girl? Being one is AMAZING!

That was the attitude that our main character, Liv, has. She’s an amazing athlete and she knows her worth—I loved her
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Super quick read. Excellent choice if you need or want a fluffy romcom

-----------------

If you are looking for a super quick, fluffy rom com type book – you are in LUCK! This is the type of book you could easily start and finish in one afternoon. I’m still learning that not all sports-based books are bad. They are not normally my “go to” type setting but if written/developed/executed right, they are fun to read. I am happy to say that this was done right.

The story circles around Liv, a high
Leah Waters
Oh how I love this book! Let me count the ways. *pauses* Oops, there's too many to count.

This is one of the best contemporary books I've ever read.

The characters should always be the driving force in romance, and Sarah Henning could not have developed Liv or Grey more. Every character was alive with voice that made them seem real, like someone I'd talk with in class. Liv was an inspirational narrator, with flaws and virtues that make her a wonderful protagonist. The chemistry between Liv and
Bonnie Wells
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I was really looking forward to this book, even though I don't read YA contemporary much anymore, because I'm a huge football fan, and the idea of a girl playing QB really drew me in. Overall, I thought this was cute, and I don't regret reading it. I do think it has proven that YA contemporary isn't really my thing anymore. The writing could be a little cheesy at times, but my biggest problem was probably the pacing. The overall timeline of the book just felt a little off somehow. I found myself ...more
USOM
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I didn't plan on reading Throw Like a Girl in one day, but I couldn't stop reading. The story is gripping and not in an anxiety provoking way, but in a, "these characters are precious I need to know what happens" way. Throw Like a Girl is heart warming. Henning is able to maintain a fabulous balance between topics of homophobia, college dreams, and romantic tension. It's about wanting
Sarah Henning
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It’s preorder prize time!!! From now until January 7, if you preorder Throw Like a Girl and input your information and a copy of your receipt to https://www.sarahhenningwrites.com/pr... you can get:

- A signed bookplate
- A pink “Don’t Leave the Awesome at Home” sticker (limited edition - first 100 preorders only)
- A double-sided postcard featuring the covers of Throw Like a Girl and The Princess Will Save You

Your preorder also enters to you win a grand prize package that includes of all of the
Justin Turczak
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable sports read. Had the right scenes start at right time and loved the flow of the book. And the MC was very relatable. Maybe only flaw I can point the author was trying but didn’t fully get was today’s day and age sports injuries especially head stuff. Hard to explain but was going to that story plot did it a bit but sorta did back burner and fill that plot line fast.
Olivia
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-reviews
THROW LIKE A GIRL is a charming story about chasing your dreams, a little romance, and a passion for sports. Liv is a star softball player at her private school, which she attends on an academic (read: athletic) scholarship. After she punches a player on the opposing team, she is suspended and loses her scholarship, meaning that she will not be able to attend the next year. She is then sent to public school, the same one which had the player she punched.

Once there, she finds that the softball
Estelle
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was *so* great. Liv is a badass and does everything with heart. I loved the sibling dynamics in this book - esp. her relationship with her younger brother - and I had such Catching Jordan vibes.

You can tell Sarah has experience in sports journalism because the in-game scenes were so detailed and I had a little trouble keeping up but readers who are mega sports fans are going to love it.

Grey is also completely dreamy. Their chemistry is awesome from the get-go and I just adored them.
Melissa
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads, ya
I like a good sports book, and that was a good sports book.
Sandra
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Throw Like a Girl is everything that I look for in a YA contemporary novel. There’s a strong female lead who isn’t afraid to acknowledge her mistakes, a swoony quarterback who seems too perfect, best friends you can depend on, and an imperfect family that supports and loves each other. Even better, it’s wholesome and a book that I would have happily given to my children when they were younger.

I read Throw Like a Girl in little over a day. The main character, Olive (or Liv as she’s called),
Maura
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so excited to review this book that I devoured in a single day! I cannot thank The NOVL enough for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review. This adorable sports romance comes out on January 7th, and I know my YA-loving friends will want to snatch this one up!

I want to start my review with a quote from my younger brother, Grey, when I texted him and told him that he shares a name with the male lead in this book. "It's about time people start recognizing what a teenage heartthrob
Madison
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Throw Like A Girl is such a feel-good, girl power (but taking nothing away from the guys) kind of book. I love sports books because of the suspense, the blood, sweat and tears, the team camaraderie, the hard work they put in and those glorious moments of triumph. Throw Like A Girl delivers all of that alongside such great displays of friendship, lessons about lying and the consequences of not disclosing the full truth and swoon. worthy. romance. Such a great book and everything I wanted it to ...more
caitlin
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

A good recommendation for girls into sports as the protagonist ends up playing football at the public school she lands in after getting booted from her private school. It was a little hoo-hum and predictable to me.
Cynthia
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was wildly entertaining and wholesome Longer review forthcoming ...more
Jessica
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book!! Friday Night Lights kind of feeling, awesome characters!
Kylie Guiking
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This title grabbed my attention mainly because I was at that point in my reading journey where I needed something, easy, fun, and lighthearted to read. The premise itself was actually pretty interesting so I was ecstatic when I was given an early copy to read and review.

This book is like your typical high school YA romance. I do love how Henning incorporated her own sports background with this story. I felt captivated with the sports language and Henning wrote it in a manner that wasn't
Jeanette
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won an ARC of Throw Like a Girl in a giveaway hosted by the publisher!! I wasn’t expecting to win at all but I’m so happy that I received this book. I just knew it would be a story I would love and that’s why I entered the giveaway. I had to read it before the year is over because it really got my attention with the cover and storyline. Throw Like a Girl is a fantastic YA Contemporary book. I liked the writing and how every scene in the book happened at what felt like the right time, making it ...more
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I enjoyed the sports parts - there was even explanation of football strategy - and how hard they worked to win. The teamwork was a nice thing to read about. As was the main friendship.

But some things didn't make sense. There is just no way she would take so long to tell people what happened and why she reacted like she did - with the way she was acting in the book, it didn't seem like her. And where was the struggle? A girl playing football with the boys was almost too easy. It needed to be more
Kelly Hager
As you may know if you've ever met me, I'm not a sports person. The funniest part about that is that I love sports movies and sports novels, because they are always about more than what their respective athletic contest happens to be. I like storylines and context. I mention that because this book is such a delight.

I love Liv and her family. They're a tight-knit group (Liv's close with her parents and with her siblings) and it's a complete joy to read.

Everything about this book is just
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • Lucky Caller
  • Echoes Between Us
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • Tweet Cute
  • When the Stars Lead to You
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • How to Speak Boy
  • Jane Anonymous
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Foul Is Fair
  • The Bookworm Crush
Sarah Henning is a recovering journalist who has worked for the Palm Beach Post, Kansas City Star and Associated Press, among others. While in South Florida, Sarah lived and worked through five hurricanes, which gave her an extreme respect for the ocean. When not writing, she runs ultramarathons, hits the playground with her two kids and hangs out with her husband Justin, who doubles as her ...more