Start by marking “Fire Truck vs. Dragon” as Want to Read:
Fire Truck vs. Dragon

Fire Truck vs. Dragon

Friends Fire Truck and Dragon demonstrate what a good team they make at campfires, cookouts, birthday parties, and more, but in unexpected and unimpressive ways.
Published March 10th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Fire Truck vs. Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Truck vs. Dragon

Start your review of Fire Truck vs. Dragon
Amy
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I didn't love this one. I thought the concept was really clever but the execution of the story felt a little random. And it took me half-way through the book to catch on to the running joke of it all.
Morgan
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review on thegraduatedbookworm.com

First, I would like to thank Hachette Book Group Canada for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review! This was such a cute and funny story about two very different characters.

I think this would be great for children who are a bit older that would understand the pictures where there's no dialogue happening, but also could be teacher/parent led.

I also Loved the illustrations in the book, they were super vibrant and definitely something children woul
Jason
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm halfway from liking it to *really* liking it, but I have this thing about authors picking low-hanging fruit when it comes to picture book topics. This is the guy who did Shark vs. Train, which I didn't read but I know was wildly popular. So when I see Fire Truck vs. Dragon, of course I'm going to be skeptical. I get that children's book authors have to capitalize on a trend when it gets popular. You gotta make a living. But it doesn't mean I have to respect the books themselves. HOWEVER, Bar ...more
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the humor in this (some might be more funny for adults/older kids than it is for youngers). A firetruck and dragon gather together to "show us the thing they're so good at" (the assumption is that this is a fire/water battle of sorts). But all of the talents they demonstrate are totally unrelated to what we're expecting (ie: telling scary stories at a campout, bringing potato salad to a barbecue, etc). The staring contest page was funny!
Melanie
Expectation doesn't meet reality for three children, a dragon and a firetruck. The children do not understand why Dragon is creating shadow puppets with Firetruck's lights when they want him to roast marshmallows. And why is Firetruck taking snow cones from kids on hot summer days instead of spraying water?

Kids will enjoy explaining what Dragon and Firetruck should be doing. Suggested for storytime.
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, dragon
A very silly book about the friendship of a dragon and a firetruck and all their unexpected talents.

Good to talk about ahead of time and ask kids what they THINK the firetruck and the dragon are good at and how they would be competing.

The silliness in the story comes from defying that prediction while putting the characters in a bunch of settings where the prediction seems right.
Elizabeth
Oct 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A dragon and a fire truck-- cute right? Yes, the pictures were cute and fun and kids will love the fact that Dragon and Fire Truck just can't seem to understand that what they want to see is the FIRE and WATER! Not their famous firehouse beans or free-range potato salad!

Kids who enjoy silly stories, dragons, fire trucks, and speech bubbles will enjoy this book.
Becky
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A follow-up the Barton’s Shark vs. Train, this brightly-colored pairing of Fire Truck and Dragon will engage readers with their banter via word bubbles and cause great anticipation as each page is turned.
Melissa Anderson
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an adorable book about a friendship between a dragon and a fire truck. The premise of the book is about what each are good at. The presumption being fire and water. This was adorable and comical. My niece loves dragons and I think she will love this
Nicole
Jun 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I give this a 3.5 star review. Shark vs. Train by Barton is a favorite at my library. I'm thinking this one will be too! The story allows readers to interact, by having the characters ask questions. I love the fun and bright illustrations!
Billie
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Shark vs. Train and its clever "twist" at the end. This follow-up, while cute, is not quite as much fun as its older sibling.
Brindi Michele
this was fun :)
C.B
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Those kids were understandably irritated. All they wanted was to see some fire!
Jenn
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Slyly funny.
Becca
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Spot on for all those children who love vehicles and dragons.
Hilary
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute but a little hard to follow. The cleverness was not obvious enough.
Pinky
Jun 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Julie
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think young readers will enjoy the build up to the end of the talents of the fire truck and the dragon.
Kelly
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable story of an unlikely friendship.
Jj
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Good, silly fun. I'm looking forward to using this in a storytime when we can have those again some day, in real-time, in the same location. Sigh. I miss those so, so much.
Peacegal
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
A silly, brightly colored follow-up to SHARK VS. TRAIN. It wasn't as memorable or original as its predecessor, though.
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not quite the same amount of fun as Shark vs. Train.
kim
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
had so much potential but just wasn't good
Rebecca
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun for the kids and has a great Monty Python reference!
Melissa
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, kids
Still good, but not quite as fun as Shark vs Train.
Paul Terpstra
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book! So funny. Not what I expected, very good idea
Suebee
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ugh. Why oh why, publishers, do you publish this stuff? Yep, good title, but that’s about it.
Beth Parmer
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Will be fun for an interactive K-2 read-aloud
Cheryl
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kids will love this! Fun story with unexpected twists and great illustrations.

• I Found A Kitty
  • The Box Turtle
  • Green on Green
  • In a Jar
  • Facts vs. Opinions vs. Robots
I'm the author of picture books including bestseller Shark vs. Train, Sibert Honor-winning The Day-Glo Brothers, and Whoosh! Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions, which was included on 19 state reading lists.

My recent titles include the Mighty Truck early reader series, Dazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion (an Orbis Pictus Honor book), and What Do You Do with a Voice L

News & Interviews