Start by marking “William Goldman: Four Screenplays” as Want to Read:
William Goldman: Four Screenplays

William Goldman: Four Screenplays

Marathon Man, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Princess Bride, Misery. Author royalties donated to the Motion Picture and Television Fund.
Published February 1st 2000 by Applause Books (first published January 31st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about William Goldman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Goldman

Ian Carpenter
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Made myself read this and right away it was a huge treat. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is one of the most fun, upbeat reads I've had. It tears along, has a humour to almost everything and somehow manages to wrap with pathos. A lesson for me about how much fun a screenplay can be.
Emily Taylor
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
One of the greatest.
Trisha
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I remember my reaction when I heard a movie version was being made of William Goldman’s The Princess Bride. I loved the book and was worried the screen adaptation wouldn’t live up to my expectations, as often happens. But the film turned out to be just as good as the book and now I know why. It’s because William Goldman wrote the screenplay. I’ve only read a few movie scripts before but for some reason I picked up this book which also contained the screenplays for three other movies Goldman wrot ...more
Bill
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm working on a screenplay now and thought it might be instructive to read a few of them. Goldman is one of this country's most commercially successfully screenwriters, and Four Screenplays looked like an intriguing collection. Each screenplay is prefaced with a short essay about the film. It hadn't occurred to me until I was well into "The Princess Bride" that three of the four scripts in this volume contain disturbing torture scenes. Aside from that somewhat unpleasant fact, this was an enjoy ...more
Joe
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love the essays that accompany each screenplay. Contrary to another reviewer's complaint, you aren't "name-dropping" if you work with movie people and describe how they contributed to the shaping of your stories. And that's what I wanted to know: How did these stories come to life? I skipped 3 of the screenplays, as I've already seen 3 of the 4 movies. Goldman's a fantastic writer.
Kellen Quigley
William Goldman has been one of my favorite screenwriters for years now, but reading his actual words to these movies--and his essays before with some great insight into the movies and the man himself--quickly made Goldman my favorite classic screenwriter of all time. Can't wait to read volume two!
Dan Seligson
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best part of this great book is his introduction to each of the four screenplays themselves. Whatever posing he's doing, he does it so well you feel he's being thoroughly honest.
Christopher Ryan
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The master class, and money goes to a good cause. Required reading for screenwriting students.
Mari Hamill
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed all the screenplays!
Old

• Four Films: Annie Hall/Interiors/Manhattan/Stardust Memories
  • Sunset Boulevard
  • Chinatown
  • Being John Malkovich
  • Four Screenplays of Ingmar Bergman: Smiles of a Summer Night/The Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries/The Magician
  • Magnolia: The Shooting Script
  • Fargo
  • The Annotated Godfather
  • Taxi Driver
  • The Hateful Eight
  • How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make
  • Rebels on the Backlot: Six Maverick Directors and How They Conquered the Hollywood Studio System
  • Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds: The Guaranteed Way to Get Your Screenplay or Novel Read
  • Nobody's Perfect: Writings from The New Yorker
  • Eyes Wide Shut & Dream Story
  • Goodfellas: Screenplay
  • A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies
  • Setting Up Your Shots: Great Camera Moves Every Filmmaker Should Know
Goldman grew up in a Jewish family in Highland Park, Illinois, a Chicago suburb, and obtained a BA degree at Oberlin College in 1952 and an MA degree at Columbia University in 1956.His brother was the late James Goldman, author and playwright.

William Goldman had published five novels and had three plays produced on Broadway before he began to write screenplays. Several of his novels he later used
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.” 6101 likes