Start by marking “Take Ten: New 10-Minute Plays” as Want to Read:
Take Ten: New 10-Minute Plays

Take Ten: New 10-Minute Plays

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A ten-minute play is a streak of theatrical lightning. It doesn't last long, but its power can stand your hair on end. This splendid anthology contains enough wattage to light up a small city. For in its pages, thirty-two of our finest playwrights hone their skills on a form that has been called the haiku of the American stage. The plays that Nina Shengold and Eric Lane ha ...more
Published March 25th 1997 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Take Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Ten

Hamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareWaiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett
Best Plays Ever
728 books — 967 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Subtle Knife by Philip PullmanElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondA Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Best Books of 1997
275 books — 149 voters

More lists with this book...

Alison
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lots of drinking, sex, and AIDS. Most of the plays were performed in the 90s in NYC, so that pretty much explains it.
Claire
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Reread for inspiration, didn't get much.
Sarah Stone
A really hard form, but some of these are memorable: Tony Kushner has a satirical take on the playwright food chain that sticks with me and some of the others get quite surreal. Note to self and others: never end a 10-minute play with the two characters dancing slowly as the light fades. Just in case any of us were in danger of doing that...
Colleen
Oct 08, 2009 is currently reading it
I seem to suck at coming up with ideas for 10-minute plays, so I'm trying to learn more about them by seeing what other people have done.
Nick Pappas
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
It's a collection of short plays. Some are good, some are bad. What are you going to do?
Robert
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I purchased this book used off of ebay. I did so because it includes the play Ferris Wheel by Mary Miller. My research indicated that many Toastmasters read this for the fourth speech in the Interpretive Reading manual.

It's an amusing play about two riders on a Ferris wheel who are both fearful. They fall in love during the course of their ride.

It's listed as a 10-minute play. I read it in just shy of 16 minutes. I have seen YouTube videos that come in at about 14 minutes. Nevertheless, it is a
Steph

Judgement Call - Frederick Stroppel

Breakfast Serial - Megan Terry
John Molina
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
This collection of short plays is pretty interesting, but ultimately this collection of really short plays just wasn't for me. I felt that a play consisting of mostly 2 or 3 page plays wasn't enough to adequately build characters or to bring any sense of urgency to them. Ultimately, the plays felt a little too gimmicky for me and I thought they were trying to hard to be high-art.
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this for my creative writing class, and it worked perfectly. The selection is terrific, and many of the plays are great. Some are "meh" but that's to be expected. It was tremendously helpful for my students to get these examples of the sub-genre.
Jason
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
read 5 plays. liked Ferris Wheel & Gas.
Angela
Aug 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 800-plays
One I read was Ferris Wheel by MAry Miller 161. Striking in simplicity of lack of real communication between men and women, strangers, and people in general.
Erin
Aug 02, 2007 rated it liked it
My high school senior project was one of these, and when I look back I realize how simple they are. Still, good for people with limited time or experience.
Nan
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good mix of great writing.
Sal
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Some good, some not so good. Laura Cunningam's "Flop Cop" and Mary Miller's "Ferris Wheel" were the memorable highlights for me.

Some suffer from not enough info or moving too quickly.
Heather Luff
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was trying to find decent interp material for my debate team. A lot of these are just not school appropriate, too many swears, a bit raunchy.
Amanda Bynum
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I basically got every one-act play I ever directed from this collection. 100% awesome.
Robert
Oct 24, 2011
Nicole
Jun 05, 2016
Andrew
rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2014