Start by marking “I Looked Away” as Want to Read:
I Looked Away

I Looked Away

Alternate title "I Looked Away" / "Child of Mine"

THE GRIPPING NEW THRILLER FROM THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF MY HUSBAND'S WIFE AND THE DEAD EX

Every Monday, 49-year-old Ellie looks after her grandson Josh. She loves him more than anything else in the world. The only thing that can mar her happiness is her husband's affair. But he swore it was over, and Ellie has d
Paperback
Published June 27th 2019 by Penguin Books UK

Start your review of I Looked Away
Charlotte May
Jane Corry can do no wrong in my eyes!

Her novels are so well constructed, such intricate and complex characters.

Ellie loves her grandson, she would do anything for him. One day while she is babysitting she glances away for two seconds and something terrible happens.

We get frequent flashbacks to the early days of Ellie's childhood and then marriage to her University Professor. Her husband proves nasty and disloyal. Their marriage is not a good one.

Meanwhile we follow Jo in separate chapters. A ho
Peter
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Attrition
I Looked Away is a wonderfully crafted and absorbing psychological thriller from the very talented Jane Corry. The novel is cleverly plotted where you know there’s a major twist coming and it teases in the background as you become immediately captivated by the personal accounts of the two main characters, Ellie and Jo. The narrative is developed from each of their points of view, plus a little snippet of another relationship that hangs around the plot as a looming shadow.

This is a fasc
Amanda
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I have to say I’ve read the Killing Type by Jane Cory, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I could not wait to start this book!!

We first meet Ellie in prison, we do not know why she is there.

Ellie has been married to Roger for 28 years and they have recently gone through marriage counselling as he has had numerous affairs. They have 2 grown up children Amy and Luke and She lives for the days when she looks after her grandson Josh. One day whilst looking after Josh she takes her eyes of him for a mome
Louise Wilson
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book follows Ellie from being a young girl right through until she becomes a grandmother. Ellie has not had much luck and she has had to endure some awful things in her life. Ellie loves her grandson,Josh. She takes care of him on a Monday afternoon. Her husband is having an affair. But when Ellie looks away one Monday afternoon, the consequences are dramatic. It brings things from Ellie's past to the fore.

This is one emotional roller coaster ride you won't want to get off. It deals with bu
Nicki
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a hell of a lot more to this emotionally charged,enthralling story than the synopsis suggests. It's a heart string pulling story that covers a number of realistic issues that affects millions of people every day. Depending on their circumstances some of the issues that feature in this book might upset some readers but the subject matter is written realistically and with care and sensitivity.

I Looked Away is the story of two women from completely different social classes. There is Ellie,
Pauline
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I Looked Away by Jane Corry was a very emotional story of Ellie who has been hiding from a traumatic incident she was involved in as a child. She is now married to a controlling husband who cheats on her. She has two grown up children and a small grandson. Whilst babysitting her grandson one afternoon he disappears and Ellie's life is changed forever.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Penguin Books (UK) for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Sherri Thacker
This book was told in 3 parts. The first part I just felt like I was not connecting to the characters. But I kept going. Part 2 seemed to pick up speed. And then by Part 3 things started making more sense. Holy cow! What a ride! 5 ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I received this book as a ARC for my honest review.
Hannah
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best thriller I've read so far. The story is gripping from start to finish. It kept me guessing and I like not knowing what is going to happen in a book (without it getting too confusing and swapping characters all the time). Two story tellers Ellie and Jo, who both make me want to keep reading.

17th August 2019 a date that Ellie won't forget, but why?

Ellie the main character, I liked how she was a grandma, different to characters often being much younger. Ellie didn't have the best of childhoo
Michelle
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I looked away by Jane Corry is the third book from the author I have read, and her books keep getting better and better.
Ellie loves her grandson Josh. She looks after him on a Monday afternoon. She takes her eyes of him for a moment as she finds her Husband Rodger is speaking to the woman he is cheating with on the phone. When an accident happens, and Ellie finds a red t-shirt floating in next door neighbours’ pond. She thinks history is repeating itself. She has never got over the death of her
Adele Shea
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book certainly pulls at your heartstrings. You can not help but feel compassion for the main characters.
Jane Corry certainly has a hit on her hands with I Looked Away.
Rachel Hall
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Issue-led psychological suspense novel that tackles some hard-hitting topics sensitively.

I Looked Aways is perhaps the most hard-hitting of Jane Corry’s novels to date and tackles a number of weighty issues, including coercive control, PTSD, homelessness and mental health in general. As with previous novels by this author that I have read it is engaging and easily readable but where the story excels is in explaining the realities of living with PTSD and deconstructing some of the myths around ‘c
Erica
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a hell of a lot more to this emotionally charged, enthralling story than the synopsis suggests. It's a heart string pulling story that covers a number of realistic issues that affects millions of people every day. Depending on their circumstances some of the issues that feature in this book might upset some readers but the subject matter is written realistically and with care and sensitivity.

Karen
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve enjoyed all of Jane’s previous thrillers but I Looked Away is probably the most hard hitting in that it tackles some tough subjects woven into a tense story line but also capturing emotional depth and compassion.

Focusing on two main characters, Ellie and Jo, it covers many themes including mental health issues, manipulation and control and homelessness.

Ellie is married to Roger and has two children. Her marriage has its problems but she adores her grandson Josh and loves looking after him
Debbie
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is told in two parts, one by Ellie, a married grandmother, who absolutely adores her grandson. She has some issues in her marriage, but she loves her family. One day she is looking after her grandson, Josh, and she takes her eyes off him for a moment and an accident happens that changes their lives.

The other part of the story is told by Jo, a homeless woman and Big Issue seller. She tells of her time on the streets, combined with flashbacks from her past.

The blurb states that Ellie i
Lydia Bailey
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading all the hype about this one, plus the blurb on the back which is pretty alarming, I was a little concerned that I wasn’t going to gel with it at all. In fact, it wasn’t until I reached the very end that I realised just how very good it is.

The plot is original and the format interesting. The way that all the many issues of ptsd & homelessness are interwoven through the novel really add depth to the story and turn it from an average thriller into a riveting page turner. Whilst the w
Katharine Johnson
Without doubt one of my best reads this year - a real emotional rollercoaster and intriguing mystery. I found the two narratives equally compelling and authentic. Although I was confused in places at the start about the identity of one of the characters in the story it all began to make sense as it unfolded. I highly recommend this book!
Liz Fenwick
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful, emotional...I couldn’t put it down!!
Katie
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m stuck between giving this a 4 or a 5, if half stars existed it would be a definite 4.5. I feel like I’m slightly short changing it by giving it a 4 because it was a wonderfully captivating and addictive read. However, I had a few niggles so couldn’t commit fully to a 5.

There has been a lot of hype about this book and it is thoroughly deserved. I couldn’t put it down. It was well written, I loved how the story went between the two different characters and the past and present. The characteris
Jo
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Wow!! What a gripping read!
So well written & such a good story.
Eve
Domestic Fiction / Psychological Thriller / Family Drama / Contemporary

This is an emotional story about love, mistakes, mental health, motherhood, adultery, loss, redemption. Written in alternating POVs and timeline. At first it was a little confusing but once I got hold of who's who and timelines, it was easy to follow and I couldn't read fast enough.

"Marriages should have no secrets."

At the beginning of the story we meet Ellie, a woman in her late 40s, proud grandmother but unhappy wife be
Joan
Mar 24, 2019 marked it as maybe-maybe-not
I'd be more inclined to read this if the blurb didn't shriek at me in BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS that it's

I don't like it when people shout at me like that, especially when I am perfectly capable of reading (and understanding) words written in lower case letters ;)
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
Another gripping release by Jane Corry! To date I’ve never been disappointed by her books and feel she is one of the more original and authentic writers out there today. I thought the synopsis made for an excellent premise for the storyline, and was hooked from the first page.

What I liked especially about this book was its focus on mental health issues and it’s effects on the wider family. Corry demonstrates great insight into her subject matter and sensitively handles the topic of homelessness
Sue Plant
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-corry
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this disturbing and amazing book

this is written as two people ellie and jo...and its their story,each have been through a traumatic experience and i found deeply disturbing to read, it hit a few nerves, as every good book should

but on the whole i kept at it and am glad that i finished it, but it makes you feel as though you have been through the wringer...at times it was hard to carrying on reading it

well worth a read if you lik
Mike Sumner
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A complex story, a parable for our time built around dissociative PTSD, a dissociative fugue that affects Ellie with devastating consequences. Married to a philandering husband, Ellie devotes her time looking after her grandson, Josh. Until that fateful moment when Ellie was distracted....

What follows is a beautifully composed tale of how tragic events can impact on mental well-being. What happens to Ellie? Who is Jo? The two characters around who the plot is built. At times it's exasperating, t
Zaynab
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another nuanced and elaborately complex compulsive thriller detailing the horrors of homelessness and terrifying encounters that are a vicious reality for some unfortunate lost souls.
Ali
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.75 STARS!!
Review on thesundayfeeling.wordpress.com

Let me begin by talking about this absolutely stunning cover. Even though I know it’s wrong, I am such a sucker for ‘judging a book by it’s cover’, and I Looked Away did not disappoint. I was obsessed before I had even read the synopsis!

I Looked Away is narrated by three different voices. We hear from Ellie, Jo and an unknown third voice that we are desperate to learn the identity of.

At the very start we are presented with a heart braking famil
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

I Looked Away is an entertaining read - and one which is quite different to what I expected, having read the synopsis, but which I hugely enjoyed nontheless. Instead of being all about a lady charged with the murder of her grandson, as the synopsis suggests it might be, the story was much more about characters Jo and Ellie's lives, covering different points in their lives, and what led to the day that Ellie's grandson dies which we read about in the impactful
Emma Curtis
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be sent a copy of Jane Corry's new book by the publisher. I love this author's books; her writing is so assured and even though she obviously does a lot of research, it's used in such a way that the narrative isn't overwhelmed by it. This is a complex thriller following a woman living on the streets, a youthful and highly respectable grandmother who is in prison - the reason is part of the mystery - and a little girl being treated callously by her new stepmother. They all l ...more
Josanne
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was keen to read something of Jane Corry as I had heard great things about her, but this book really didn’t work for me. I found I just couldn’t relate to the lead character.
Rachel Gilbey
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was already incredibly hooked on this story and then the moment came where I actually gasped out loud, and couldn't work out how I hadn't seen it coming.

Jane Corry writes such compelling characters that you just have read all about them.

We are told in alternating chapters about Ellie and Jo's lives and there are assorted flashback sections, where we see key moments of Ellie's past, and also another characters past too... which I couldn't quite work out how it connected initially.

I couldn't

• Then She Vanishes
  • Come Back For Me
  • Lies, Lies, Lies
  • The Holiday
  • Sleep
  • The Dead Ex
  • The Night You Left: The tense and shocking thriller that readers can’t put down
  • The Family
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • One Minute Later
  • Found
  • Someone Else's Baby
  • Seven Days
  • Date Night
  • The Doctor
  • Who Killed Ruby?
  • Beneath the Surface
Jane Corry is a writer and journalist who has spent time working as the writer in residence of a high security prison for men - an experience that helped inspire her Sunday Times bestsellers 'My Husband's Wife' and 'Blood Sisters'. Jane runs regular writing workshops and speaks at literary festivals all over the world. Many of her ideas strike during morning dog-jogs along the beach followed by a ...more