Start by marking “The Gift of Life” as Want to Read:
The Gift of Life

The Gift of Life

You've been given the gift of life, now go live it.

Gabby McPhee is the owner of The Tin Man, a chic new cafe and coffee roasting house in Melbourne. The struggles of her recent heart transplant are behind her and life is looking up - until a mysterious customer appears in the cafe, convinced that Gabby has her deceased husband's heart beating inside her chest.

Krystal Arth
Published April 2nd 2019 by Penguin Random House Australia

Start your review of The Gift of Life
Sharon
Gabby McPhee is the owner of a café in the heart of Melbourne called The Tin Man. Although it’s been a couple of years since Gabby had her heart transplant operation, she still feels grateful to the family who gifted her a second chance at life. A life she intends to make the most of and enjoy every minute she can of it.

Whilst being interviewed for an article, Gabby expresses how thankful she is for the family that donated the organ which saved her life. For the following few days Gabby noticed
Brenda
Two years had passed since Gabby McPhee had received the heart transplant that saved her life. The reporter who was chatting to her in The Tin Man, her café and coffee roasting house in Melbourne, brought it home to Gabby how lucky she was to be alive; thankful to the family of the heart she’d been given. When a woman appeared in the café in the days following the interview, wanting to speak to Gabby, she was shocked to hear who she was…

Krystal Arthur and her two young sons were still deeply gri
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

The Gift of Life by Josephine Moon. (2019).

Gabby is the owner of a chic new cafe and coffee roasting house in Melbourne. The struggles of her recent heart transplant are behind her and life is looking up until Krystal approaches her convinced that Gabby has her dead husband's heart. Krystal is struggling to hold her family together and has many unanswered questions about Evan's death. Krystal thinks that Gabby can help her, and she may
Marianne
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Gift Of Life is the fifth novel by Australian author, Josephine Moon. It’s almost two years since divorced mother of three, Gabby McPhee received her heart transplant, and a year since she opened The Tin Man, her artisanal coffee business off Chapel Street in Melbourne’s South Yarra. Life is good. Her staff are great and her expert coffee roaster, the handsome Luciano is talented, if reticent.

Her children are a joy, and if only her ex would step up to his responsibilities with them instead
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
‘Gabby liked the bustle and the noise. It was evidence of life all around her, a life she desperately wanted to be a part of for many years yet.’

Imagine that you were given the ultimate gift of life, a second chance in the face of almost certain death. For Gabby, a coffee connoisseur and cafe owner, a heart transplant gave her another chance to live her life. However, since the life changing operation things have not returned to normal. Gabby can’t
Sally906
I have loved every single book Josephine Moon has written. But this one didn’t wow me as much as the others. Still a good read but didn’t have me feverishly turning pages as her others have.
Marianne
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gift Of Life is the fifth novel by Australian author, Josephine Moon. The audio version is narrated by Kat Stewart. It’s almost two years since divorced mother of three, Gabby McPhee received her heart transplant, and a year since she opened The Tin Man, her artisanal coffee business off Chapel Street in Melbourne’s South Yarra. Life is good. Her staff are great and her expert coffee roaster, the handsome Luciano is talented, if reticent.

Her children are a joy, and if only her ex would step
Kathryn
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully rich story, exploring heart transplant, life, family, friendship, love of all kinds and some mystery. A little touch of life after death. Loved the characters, and exploring how you can’t judge someone until all the facts are in. Best Josephine Moon book yet.
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, aww
Fabulous read - engaging, informative, poignant.

My View:
A fabulous read - engaging, informative, and poignant.

This is a very moving narrative; organ donation is subject that has recently received deserved attention in the media and despite that increased attention there seems to be so much more that is needed to be done. https://donatelife.gov.au/about-donat... What I really enjoyed about this story was hearing the unique voice of the character who is a recipient – each day a gift but with that
Michelle Parsons
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you believe that death is the end of life or the continuance of another form of life? In Josephine Moon's lastest novel, she has you asking exactly that question. Tackling a highly emotive issue, organ donation, Jo weaves a beautiful narrative and has us rallying so hard for the characters that I feared my own heart would break. I always love Jo's novels and this one is no exception. It is a must read! ...more
Theresa Smith
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aww2019
‘There it was, beating away, pumping her blood, keeping her alive. Someone else’s heart. A heart full of nerve cells that had lived inside another human being from not long after conception to their time of death. A heart that might have travelled the world. Fallen in love. Been betrayed. Been educated. Indulged. Danced. Lied. Cheated. Gambled. Recovered. Swum in foreign oceans. Rock climbed. Painted. Loved horror movies. Craved friendships. Felt, seen or experienced a million things that Gabby ...more
Natalie M
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a surprising novel. The blurb sums up the the main themes of the book - organ transplantation, family life and dealing with loss but it is so much more and I loved it for that reason.

Gabby McPhee, her extended family from her ex-husband, to her business and of course children and the father she lives with, are central to the story. However, Krystal and her family lead to the growth of the story, chapter by chapter. Her early years, her boys and of course the despicable wealthy in-laws.

Ther
Vanessa Carnevale
You can’t go wrong with a book by Josephine Moon. Another wonderful read!
Danni Rochester
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a diehard mystery/thriller fan and I nearly didn't read because I thought Josephine moon's previous books although my friends loved them weren't my cup of tea (pun intended). I'm so glad I gave this a go! A gripping read, full of mystery, love, and truly deep connections between those who are alive, those who are dead and those somewhere in between. What a cracker of a read! Read it you won't be disappointed. ...more
Jorden
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would you be brave enough to follow your heart even if it wasn’t your own? I have never read a Josephine Moon book so came into The Gift of Life without knowing what to expect. The concept that messages can be transferred through organ donation is an interesting one given organ donation is so topical and the concept grabbed my interest from the outset. The idea of people finding new skills or suddenly liking or disliking something after organ donation is something that I could easily imagine the ...more
Kristy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wish I'd enjoyed this more. The whole idea was interesting, but the story was sooooo slow to build, and it was struggling to hold my attention until a good ways in. I have to say it felt a bit anticlimactic, but it was still an enjoyable read.

I think I would have enjoyed it less if I hadn't known how much research Josephine Moon put into this novel. I attended an author talk at the local library when she was promoting this novel, and it was really interesting hearing all the things she'
Nicole
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gift of Life is the fifth contemporary book by Aussie author, Josephine Moon. I have enjoyed Moon's previous novels and her latest release is her best to date. Set in Melbourne, this is the story of two protagonists; Gabby and Krystal. I thoroughly enjoyed going back to Melbourne and being able to envisage the the simple things in life such as tram trips! Gabby and Krystal have distinctive voices as they tell their stories in the third person through alternating chapters. Using these charact ...more
Kate thebooklover
The Gift of Life by Josephine Moon really caught me by surprise for a couple of reasons, one because it appeared on my doorstep sent to me by a friend as a random act of kindness and the second reason this book caught me by surprise was it put my monthly reading off track as the moment I started reading it all other books got put to one side and I was hooked.

I’d intended to just flick through the first couple of pages but before I knew it I was several chapters in following as story of Gabby and
Kt
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

If you’re not already on the Josephine Moon bandwagon, you absolutely should be! She’s an amazing Australian author and The Gift of Life is another must read book from her.

Gabby owns Melbourne’s The Tin Man cafe and coffee roasting house, named so because of her recent heart transplant. Recipients and the family of donors aren’t allowed to know each other’s identities; but Krystal is convinced that Gabby’s heart has come from her deceased husband Evan.

Evan and Krystal also lived in Melbo
Cynthia
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this one. I literally could not put it down. It's a great book. I'd have liked to "see" Cordelia's reactions in court, but I suppose that's another book altogether. ...more
Amy Perera
Gabby is the owner of The Tin Man, a chic new coffee house in Melbourne. The struggles of her recent heart transplant are behind her and life is looking up - until Krystal appears in the cafe, convinced that Gabby has her deceased husband’s heart beating inside her chest. The two women must come together to try to unlock the secrets Evan’s heart ✨ The heart has secrets, always remember that even if that heart hasn’t always belonged to you. This book centred around organ donation, which is a topi ...more
Bree T
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: australian, arc, aww2019
I was intrigued by the premise of this book when I read the blurb because I think it presents an interesting ethical question as well as tapping into the heightened emotions of organ donation. And there were elements of this book that I enjoyed, however I think that your mileage may vary depending on just how much you are willing to delve into something that presents organ donation as much more than just a physical transaction.

Gabby received a heart transplant 2 years ago and all has gone well.
Cee Davis
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual style - with a bit too much supernatural crap about organ transplants for my liking - but I loved the cafe element and the characters were very likeable. A well-researched book.
Janine
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Gift of Life is an exceptional novel by Josephine Moon. Not only does it tell a great story of female friendship but touches your heart (literally). Gabby has received a heart transplant and is the owner of a boutique cafe in Melbourne called The Tin Man as a tribute to her recent operation. Krystal is still grieving for the sudden loss of her husband in a tragic accident which left her with two small boys to look after and no support from her late husbands family. When a journalist intervie ...more
Kate Cuthbert
In this novel, Moon asks ‘How much of the original donor travels with their donated organs?’ For storytellers seeking emotional catalysts, this concept isn’t original. However, treading a well-trod path is not, in and of itself, an issue—it just presents the challenge of finding a new way to create an emotional arc. Unfortunately, The Gift of Life does not succeed in breathing new life into a tired plot point. The story leans into sentimentality and glosses over areas of grit—and also of potenti ...more
Di
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The issue sounded interesting - Gabby, owner of a coffee roasting house and café in Melbourne, has received a heart transplant and a new lease on life. But the new heart brings with it some changes that she believes may relate to the donor.

Krystal is the bereaved widow of Evan and mother of two young boys. She is estranged from his wealthy and influential family and has tracked down the person that she believes received her husband's heart.

I was expecting the book to evolve and deal with the iss
Nora
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the concept of the novel but not quite how it was written. I did not fall in love with the characters and I felt the book was a bit rushed. Some aspects of the story not developed enough and others just seemed unnecessary. Not a bad read overall.
Belinda
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF. Just couldn’t get into this book and gave up after 50 pages. I got distracted by the ridiculously long descriptions of every single scene, object, place and person in the story.
Janine
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This was interesting but it didn't really grab my interest. ...more
Emily
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like the finely roasted coffee beans featured within it’s pages Josephine Moon’s stunning new book The Gift of Life is one to be savoured just as you would a large creamy latte from your favourite cafe. I usually race through one of Josephine’s books eager to devour the delicious writing but I decided to take my time with this one and I’m so glad I did. But I’m also so sad it’s finished!
A beautifully written family drama with a mystery at it’s core The Gift of Life is a deep and moving book with
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tiny White Lies
  • The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker
  • The One
  • Home Fires
Hello! I live in the Noosa hinterland in Australia and now have the great pleasure of writing warm-hearted, feel good, contemporary fiction books for a living. I am published in Australia, NZ, UK, Ireland, Norway, Greece and Germany. I'm so grateful to everyone who buys and reads my books. Thank you! ...more