Start by marking “The Confession Club (Mason, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Confession Club (Mason, #3)

The Confession Club

(Mason #3)

In this uplifting novel from the New York Times bestselling author of The Story of Arthur Truluv, good friends discover that the things we fear revealing to others can be the very things that bring us closer together.

When a group of friends in Mason, Missouri, decide to start a monthly supper club, they get more than they bargained for. The plan for congenial evenings—
Published November 19th 2019 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Confession Club, please sign up.
Rachel Stansel Not necessary. No. But trust me, you will want to read them all so why not in order! There are things that will mean more if you do.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jessica
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
Angela M
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it

This was a quick read and one that I knew would be sweet and uplifting, given the first two books in the series. I was not disappointed on my return visit to Mason, Missouri, and with some characters that I connected with in the first two books. I’d go back if Berg writes another. My favorite is still the first book The Story of Arthur Truluv and I liked this one more than the second book Night of Miracles . One of my favorite scenes is the flashback that Maddie whose character appears
Debra
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Supper Club becomes Confession Club in this book where various women from Mason, Missouri come together to share their secrets, insecurities, and intimate desires. What is said in Confession club stays in Confession Club! The group invites Iris Winters and Maddy Harris (from the previous books in the series) to join them, and the club is just what these women needed.

Maddy has returned to Mason to escape a problem that she is not ready to handle. Iris is conflicted about her relationship with the
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
THREE, it’s good but not dramatic, heartbreaking, tear jerker, ugly crier or so memorable kind of story, I was expecting something more moving, shaking, captivating but I think this is too sweet, soft and fast reading for me STARS!
I think I'm having a bad day as a grader. Lately I read five starred books so my likeness level reached to the top. With the fascinating and mind-bending releases of this month, my expectation level and satisfaction levels pushed up and hit the ceiling!

As soon as I saw
Diane S ☔
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lor-2019
Predictable, comfort food yes, but she tackled the many problems facing women today and used different age groups to do so. Self doubt, assisted suicide, the aging body, the mistakes made in the past that continue to haunt, street people and the problems facing returning vets.. Her books are easy-going, quick reads, told in a light hearted manner. One comes to really root for her characters, hard not to like them. She also has small town living down to a T. In many ways she could be describing ...more
Lori
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, own, vine
This is a type of book I don't usually read but Elizabeth Berg's "The Story of Arthur Truluv" was pressed upon me by a lot of people like stones were pressed upon Giles Corey. Just the name "Truluv" broke my cute meter. But unlike poor Giles, I was left smiling. I was pleasantly surprised; I really liked it. I gave it four stars and noted that while Berg's writing is so simple it reads like a primer, the characters are loveable and it's a quick and satisfying read.

This is #3 in the series she
Liz
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
As a member of two book clubs with only women, I see up close how we share and rely on each other. And we’re the same ages as the older members of The Confession Club. “Not young anymore, not old, but looking down at old like it’s a pool she’s going to have to dive into soon.”

I’m not sure I would be as brave or foolhardy as Iris, befriending John. But I loved that storyline.

The writing is gorgeous and there are some wonderful ideas, like a psychic divorce. The book reminds me in some ways of
JanB
In this installment of the Mason, Missouri series, a Supper Club turns into a Confession Club, where the women disclose the secret parts of their lives. Intimacy grows when we learn that our friends aren’t perfect and we all carry these things inside of us. “That’s what life is, at its best. A confession club: people admitting to doubts and fears and failures. That’s what brings us closer to one another, our imperfections.”

I love Elizabeth Berg because her writing often gives a voice to what’s
Holly
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The Confession Club is a fun and fast read, much like a beach read. It’s a heartwarming and comfortable story about friendship, love, honesty, and second chances. While this is the third book in the Mason Series, it is a completely a stand-alone story and Berg fills in any missing details that you need to know. Just be warned that whether you read the first two books or not, you may find the beginning rather confusing like I did even though I read Books 1 (The Story of Arthur Truluv) and 2 ...more
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This is the third installment of the series of books which began with the beautiful and outstanding The Story of Arthur Truluv and was followed by the touching Night of Miracles. While the two successive books are lovely reads, for me they do not measure up to the 5 star quality of the first book. They each can be read as standalones, but you are doing yourself a disservice by not reading The Story of Arthur Truluv first.

For a brief recap, in the first book Arthur is an elderly grieving
Donna
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, women, family, life
There's a certain type of story or book that I classify as a "Good Housekeeping" tale. This moniker comes from my childhood, when I would read stories from my mother's magazines such as Redbook and Good Housekeeping. I haven't read either of those magazines in many years, so what I remember from way, WAY back then may not still hold true, but this is my memory: Redbook stories were often edgy, with subjects and endings that didn't conform to a set pattern, and although certainly not what I would ...more
Judy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a warm and inviting atmosphere Elizabeth Berg has created in this book! I loved the time I spent with the ladies of The Confession Club. A group of friends started out having a monthly supper club, but later it became a weekly meeting where they shared their most embarrassing secrets. The ladies are great friends and don't have to fear anyone in the group will tell their secrets outside of the group. The story is set in the small community of Mason, Missouri and is filled with that ...more
Tziggy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story flowed well enough but I was a bit disappointed in the ending.
Cheri
3.5 Stars

The Confession Club is a group of women located in the small community of Mason, Missouri, former home of Arthur Truluv, and includes some of the more notable characters that appeared in the first two books of this Mason trilogy, as well as new, equally unforgettable characters.

For those who have not read The Story of Arthur Truluv: A Novel , or her follow-up book Night of Miracles: A Novel, the main connection making The Confession Club a part of this series are the people
Selena
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free e-copy of The Confession Club (Mason #3) from NetGalley for my honest review.

The Confession Club is about a group of women of different ages who stumble upon the cleansingh experience of confessing private or personal things to a group of friends. The women in this group take turns confessing, in the effort of relieving themselves of guilt. This also deepens their friendship and relationships with the friends in the group.

A very sweet and entertaining story filled with friends
Gail C.
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is filled with people I want to live near, in a town that sounds idyllic. Throughout the book, the themes of love and acceptance are prevalent. It’s as if the author, Berg, has chosen this story to highlight what can happen when we engage the best in us all...the ability to give unconditionally, offer support when needed, follow dreams when there’s no guarantee of a good outcome. I have not read the previous books in this series, and perhaps that is for the best as I came to this one ...more
Krista
Rating: 3 solid small town stars

This is the third book in the “Mason” trilogy by Elizabeth Berg. The series is set in Mason, Missouri and has a thread of a few recurring characters (or memories of the characters) through the series. This book is like the first two books in the series. It explores human issues in a small town that seems to be accepting of just about everyone.

I read the first two books, ‘The Story of Arthur Truluv’, and ‘Night of Miracles’ in quick succession right before picking
☮Karen
On sale Nov. 19, 2019! If you are an adamant fan of E. Berg and loved the previous two books in this series, I see you having the same feelings for this one. It is such a sweet, loveable assortment of books, taking place in small town Mason, Missouri. The people are for sure wiser and nicer than you would probably find in most communities; but there are some great storylines here, chapters both heart breaking and relevant.

The Confession Club has the spotlight in alternating chapters, and
Marialyce
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
There are times when you just need a bit of a respite from those heavy hitting, deep thinking, and weighty books. If you find yourself in one of those times, you might want to pick up a copy of this new book in the Arthur Truelove trilogy.

I loved Arthur and all his wonderful friends and the kind and loving nature he exhibited. He was exactly what one searches for in a friend.

In this book, we see a continuation of the lives of some of the people who lived in Arthur's community. Some of the women
Jayme
I have a confession to make.

I didn’t really love the chapters which focused on the intimate “confessions” made at the weekly supper club, formed by the women who have taken Iris’s baking classes.

But, I’ve never been one to enjoy chit chat or making small talk at parties.

Thankfully, this club wasn’t really the focus of the story. As with Mason 1 and Mason 2-it’s a story of a town that offers second chances and new beginnings.

It’s always nice to catch up with the charming residents of Mason,
Susan Johnson
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
What a delightful story when you just need to read something nice. This group of friends join together for a weekly dinner and a confession club. They tell each other their deepest, darkest secrets that they are ashamed of or bothered by and get loving support and advice. It's a wonderful idea. Who doesn't want to unburden themselves and get loving support? It's a great idea.

The women are growing and changing since the last book but this one really centers around Iris and her taking chances.
Lisa Leone-campbell
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A group of women from a small Missouri town agree to a monthly meeting to confess intimate stories of their lives which they have never told anyone before. They decide to call themselves the Confession Club. What begins as a way of unburdening themselves, turns into a group of women who help and support each other as they divulge secrets some have kept hidden away for years.

The cast of characters gives you that small town community feel, where everybody knows everyone’s business (mostly) and the
Toni
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-2019
Would you tell your deepest darkest secret to a group of friends? Let’s say they’re your book club or quilting group: mostly people you’ve known for several years. But why would you do this?

It all started for the Mason, MO Confession Club by accident. The original eight women had met while taking baking classes from Iris Winters. They started meeting as the, “Third Sunday Supper Club,” and got so comfortable with each other, they started sharing things they’d done wrong. It was so, so, …
Jayme
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a confession to make.

But, I’ve never been one to enjoy chit chat or making small talk at parties.

It’s always nice to catch up with the charming residents of Mason,
Linden
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Berg is back in the small town of Mason, Missouri. There are familiar characters, but even if you haven't read about them before, its okay. Some of the women have started a "confession club," where they reveal their darkest and most personal secrets to each other. Maddie and Iris are new members, but they fit right in with this group, realizing that "all around are broken people, doing the best they can." Theft, insecurity, suicidal thoughts, and bedroom woes--there is such a level of ...more
MicheleReader
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Confession Club is a lovely, feel-good book. A welcome break from mysteries, thrillers and the horrors of WWII. Seems so nice that a group of women would meet monthly and reveal their deepest confessions with an accepting audience. I enjoyed the friendships and the support among the women and especially the storyline of Iris. Great cover art – wish I was one of the women.
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House for an advance copy of the book which comes out November 19.
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Love is like a butterfly—you do better letting it land on you than trying to capture it.
So I began reading Ms. Berg's The Confession Club and found myself drawn in right from the start. Elizabeth Berg is a character-oriented writer who is absolutely brilliant in her ability to create personalities that are vibrant and believable - and that includes every age, from 8-88. There's a hint of "Our Town" in a way that is very appealing. The book covers life in the small Missouri town of Mason. The
Lisa Leone-campbell

Lorilin
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, arc
This book was cozy and warm, homey and comforting. It’s about a group of women who get together to talk about things they’ve done that make them feel ashamed or uneasy. Which sounds super heavy, but it’s actually a really lighthearted and sweet read. The women range in age from 20-somethings to octogenarians, and their confessions are a mix of serious misdeeds to funny little nothings. Taken as a whole, the book made me feel hopeful and happy, which I appreciate more and more these days… Here is ...more
Maureen Grigsby
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A nice cozy, feel good book that was just perfect for the day after Thanksgiving!
Karen Rush
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
What once was a monthly Sunday supper club has turned into a rotating weekly ‘confession club’ of women aged thirties through seventies. Each woman will take a turn confessing something ranging from the soul-baring to the ridiculous - e.g picking up a box of cookies off a grocery shelf, eating a cookie, disliking it and putting the package back on the shelf (none of the women had a problem with this?!). Ordinary women living ordinary lives, reinventing themselves, faced with a variety of ...more

• Olive, Again
  • Love Lettering
  • The Child of Auschwitz
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Spy
Elizabeth Berg is the New York Times bestselling author of many novels, including We Are All Welcome Here, The Year of Pleasures, The Art of Mending, Say When, True to Form, Never Change, and Open House, which was an Oprah’s Book Club selection in 2000. Durable Goods and Joy School were selected as ALA Best Books of the Year, and Talk Before Sleep was short-listed for the ABBY Award in 1996. The ...more

Mason (3 books)
  • The Story of Arthur Truluv (Mason, #1)
  • Night of Miracles (Mason, #2)