Start by marking “Lovely War” as Want to Read:
Lovely War

Lovely War

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  4,540 ratings  ·  1,220 reviews
A sweeping, multi-layered romance with a divine twist, by the Printz Honor-winning author of The Passion of Dolssa, set in the perilous days of World Wars I and II.

It's 1917, and World War I is at its zenith when Hazel and James first catch sight of each other at a London party. She's a shy and talented pianist; he's a newly minted soldier with dreams of becoming an
Published March 5th 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Lovely War, please sign up.
Sharla Kinman I am a JH literature teacher, and I would approve. I think the Point of View shared through some of the "gods" is a fun twist. The characters are…moreI am a JH literature teacher, and I would approve. I think the Point of View shared through some of the "gods" is a fun twist. The characters are wonderfully developed alongside actual history with references to some influential music of the time. The language is very mild, and there is no promiscuity. The toughest part is the horrors of war, and some of the details are disturbing. BUT, a wonderfully crafted story woven with themes of self-sacrifice, friendship, commitment, and love for others above oneself. (less)

·  4,540 ratings  ·  1,220 reviews

Start your review of Lovely War
Chaima ✨ شيماء
[me, screaming from an oversized megaphone] NOT TO DICTATE ANYONE'S LIFE BUT THIS BOOK BRAIDS TOGETHER TWO LOVE STORIES SET IN WWI AND IT'S NARRATED BY GREEK GODS AND YOU GUYS NEED TO ADD IT TO YOUR TBR
Cindy Pham
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cried at least 7 separate times while reading this book. The four central characters are all endearing and lovely, and I was deeply touched by the humanity and hope that leaked during a tragic period of history, and the relationship between love and war. Huge props to Berry for incorporating the perspectives of black soldiers with such care and poignancy while giving Aubrey so much personality. While the romance does develop quickly, I still found the book to be charming and heart-wrenching ...more
Julie
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I love this book desperately. I did write it, so the possibility of bias is real. :) I can't wait to share it with the world. The year-plus I spent researching, writing, and revising it was intense, and harrowing at times, but I'm thrilled with where we landed. Here's hoping you enjoy it, too.

Hazel, a pianist, and James, a builder-turned-soldier, meet at a London dance in late 1917, on the eve of his departure for the trenches of World War I. Aubrey, a Harlem ragtime musician, and Colette, a
An unbelievably charming book. The sections with the Greek gods are pitched for a YA audience, but the rest of the book straddles YA and Adult beautifully, telling a story that’s warm and tense and lovingly crafted. At times not even my cold, cold heart could keep me from sighing. Highly recommended.
Kate Quinn
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie Berry pens an utter delight in LOVELY WAR, an effervescent confection of a novel filled with humor, tragedy, romance, and myth. Four lovers meet in the chaos and terror of World War I--a shy English pianist, a gentle architect turned sharpshooter, a French singer scarred by German atrocities, and a brash musician bound for one of the all-African-American regiments heading overseas. Hovering over this love-struck war-bound quartet is the goddess of love herself, trying to ensure them happy ...more
Jennie Damron
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm blown away by how amazing this book truly is. It's more than a romance, more than a war book, more than racial division. This book is everything and the writing was done with such grace, compassion, anger, and love. The characters even the side characters, I loved them all and felt for them deeply. This book had me laughing, feeling giddy, heartbroken and weeping, also felt such love and sympathy for the time and people the Great War affected. I learned so much more about this war than any ...more
Mel
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Someone liked my review for this book and I realized I never said anything about it, which is absurd since it’s still the best book I read this year so far.

This is a world war 1 love story told from the perspectives of Aphrodite (the goddess of love), Ares (war) and Hades (death). As you can imagine, I was a little stressed when Hades was on scene.

This was so phenomenal. From the writing style, to the plot, to the characters, to the story, I loved it all. So much innocence and love in such a
Katie Gallagher
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For other fun bookish stuff, visit my blog!

This is one of those books with a cover that just called to me. (It’s also one of those covers embracing the white-uppercase-sans-serif-with-stuff-over-it trend.) But still, I went into Lovely War a bit trepidatious—I’m not the biggest historical fiction fan, and I spent a good portion of my time in school history classes daydreaming about being elsewhere.

Well, there was no reason to fear; this book swept me off my feet in a major way. I’d heard some
Lena
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A friend read this book before me and told me how much she loved it so I knew I had to get it, too.

Lovely War is a YA historical fiction novel set during World War I and told from the perspectives of various Greek gods, Aphrodite, the goddess of love, among them. The book focuses on two couples, Hazel & James, and Collette & Aubrey.

At a time where racism, prejudice and hatred were in full bloom, being black was tough. Aubrey Edwards himself is a young man from Harlem, talented Jazz
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Read this if you like:

historical fiction (specifically WWI)
adorable romance
multiple storylines
soft bois
greek mythology

This was a delightful treat. Y'all need to stop sleeping on Julie Berry.
Jessica
Stunning.

Each of Julie's books is so different and so breathtaking. Here she presents dual stories: the Greek myth of Hephaestus capturing his wife Aphrodite with Ares, presented against the backdrop of WWII. But Aphrodite, as her defense, tells the story of star-crossed lovers she followed and aided during WWI.

Rich historical details about war, about the birth of jazz and ragtime, the clashing of cultures between the British, French, Belgian, and American allies, the first African American
𝖺𝗇𝗇𝖺 ∗
5 | this book made me cry four time in a span of 100 pages. i was hoping to love this book, but i was not expecting this book to become one of my all-time favorite books. i am a sucker for historical romances, but this book was so much more. the writing, dialogue, descriptions, etc., was simply enamoring and i spent many nights staying up late to continue reading. i’m surprised that i haven’t seen much hype for this book, but i strongly urge everyone to pick this up. i already have plans to ...more
Alexa
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alexa by: Hannah • So Obsessed With
I decided to listen to this one after picking it out for Hannah, who has read it and loved it!

There was honestly no way I was going to be able to give this story anything but a full five stars, and that was something I knew very early on. Berry deftly weaves mythological figures and their roles into a story of love and of war, and I was hooked a few sections in all the way till the end.

Listening the audiobook was also a great decision, as this full cast audio was spectacular.
oliversromeo
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: god-tier
this book pampered and fed my hopelessly romantic heart and then ripped it from my chest, stomped all over it in hot pink high heels, and then sloppily glued it back. just upside down.
Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
Okay, finally going through and writing real reviews for the last few books I read, because holy hell, stop being a lazy reader, Jillian.

Aaaaaanyways....

A book hasn't made me cry in so long, and my ability to handle emotion is already challenged at best. So what do I do now? How do I recover?

......but also, what am I even supposed to read, now.....?

I can't even explain why I loved this so much, but I can definitely tell you it's going to be one of my favorite books of the year. It was honestly
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
It's 1917, which means WWI is currently happening in full force. We meet Hazel, who is normally a homebody, but goes out one night to play the piano at a party. While there, she meets James, a soldier, whose plans to become an architect are on hold thanks to the Great War. Their attraction is instantaneous, but what will happen when he is shipped off to war and she remains home in her sleepy little town? Then there's Colette, whose entire town in Belgium, suffered due to the German invasion. Her ...more
Stephanie
Love is on trial in this beautifully told story of four people who met during WWI.

It is now the height of WWII and members of the Greek pantheon meet in a posh hotel room in Manhattan to uncover the questions regarding love and war. The tales of Hazel & James and Aubrey & Colette are told through the points of view of Aphrodite, Ares, Apollo and Hades. They have gathered to speak their peace on the mortals relationships to Aphrodite's husband Hephaestus.

Lovely War seamlessly bounces
Panda Incognito
This book is SO UNSPEAKABLY GOOD. It is everything I could possibly want out of historical fiction, and the dual love stories are phenomenal beyond imagination. I have followed Julie Berry's career for ten years, and I don't think she can possibly top this book. She was born to write this particular novel in this particular way, and no one else could have done it this well. The themes! The attention to small details! The historical accuracy! The pathos! The plot and pacing! The use of Greek ...more
rachel ☾
It's 1917, and World War I is at its zenith... thirty years after these four lovers' fates collide, the Greek goddess Aphrodite tells their stories to her husband, Hephaestus, and her lover, Ares, in a luxe Manhattan hotel room at the height of World War II.

give. it. to me.
Abigail
Hazel saw him breathe in time with the music. She saw tears well at the rims of his dark eyes. This one, she decided. This lad, for me. And it was done.

It's been so long since I've read a World War 1 novel, and I definitely need to remedy that. I don't know nearly enough about this war. And let me say, I don't often expect historical fiction novels to make my "favorite books of all time" list. This one may just have a spot on that list.

Lovely War was indeed lovely. The writing is lyrical
Morgan
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BRILLIANT!! ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!! There are a lot of books that I enjoy, and entertain me but there are very few that make me emotional on multiple different spectrums. The fact that Lovely War is the first book in years to make me cry, it easily became a favorite of mine and quite possibly the best book I have read this year.

Lovely War is genuinely one of the most heartwarming books you could pick up. Aphrodite claims that Love and War are eternally drawn to each other and she uses her fellow
Kerrin Parris
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to describe the concept of the novel Lovely War by Julie Berry. It is a unique combination of World War I historical Fiction, Romance, and Mythology.

The book begins when the gods Aphrodite (love) and Ares (war) are having an affair in a Manhattan hotel room during World War II. They are captured in a magical net by Hephaestus (fire), who is Aphrodite’s husband and Ares’ brother. Hephaestus wants them tried on Olympus, but Aphrodite convinces him it would be best to keep things more
Queen Cronut
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, lit-literature
This book could slap me and I would thank it.

*RTC
Andrea
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
This is a love story on three fronts. Two involve soldiers involved in WWI, while the other is about Aphrodite, Ares and Hephaestus. This was a sweeping and immersive historical fiction with a bit of a fantastical twist. When Hephaestus sets a trap for his wife and her lover, he takes her to trial. He doesn't expect her to sweep him off his feet with an epic love story from thirty years ago.

When Hazel, a shy yet talented pianist, meets James at a chance party, they fall in love almost
Emily
this was absolutely INCREDIBLE. i’m honestly getting a little emotional thinking about how beautiful this book was from start to finish. i love me a little historical fiction and this delivered such a lovely and heartbreaking and gorgeous story taking place during world war I.

UNREAL.....SO GOOD. there were several moments in the book that made me swoon, berry does such an amazing job of writing romance and longing and all that good stuff. i am an absolute pile of mush.

don’t even get me started
Lisa
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mixing romance, war, and mythology, Julie Berry's Lovely War is an all encompassing and emotional story. While it is marketed as a historical romance, war and its effects are given just as much attention. Several of the secondary characters were real people, which adds to the realism of the story. Berry does not shy away from the gruesome details and Lovely War is rare in its candid handling of the events of World War I.

Narrated by a cast of gods and goddesses, we are introduced to Hazel, James,
Katie
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brandy's review made me want to read this ASAP and I like it quite a lot. WWI! Greek mythology! Both things I want more of!

It didn't quiiiiite cross the line to absolute love, but, wow, it came close at times. Definitely recommend.

I'm going to count this as YA for The Ripped Bodice challenge, but, really, it's one of those that I'd call New Adult, if New Adult had had a wider scope. These characters have all just entered adulthood.

Fulfills "YA Historical" for 2019 Ripped Bodice Bingo
Aoife

Lovely War is a sweeping romance set during the turbulent years of World War One, and is narrated during World War Two by Aphrodite (the Goddess of Love) to her romantic partners/rivals Ares (God of War) and Hephaestus. Apollo and Hades also make an appearance during the story with their imput on different events. The story revolves around James and Hazel, two, young and innocent people swept up in war and trying to stay together, as well as Aubrey and Colete - a black American soldier
Rachel McMillan
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
GUSH!

"If love demands brokenness, don't count yourself out."

How do you describe a book that is more of an experience than another read? I fell so immediately for the intrusive mythological voices-- the loudest being Apollo, Aphrodite, Ares and Hades as they tried in a mock court case the clash (or waltz) between love and war while embroidering the interconnected stories of a quartet of young people during the Great War.

The experiences here belong to Hazel, James, Aubrey and Colette and paint
Kim Friant
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars—I almost adored this book. I wish I could say that I loved everything about it, but unfortunately, I can’t. It all started great; Aphrodite as a narrator was brilliant and gave the story such a fascinating edge. The “trial” Hephaestus put Ares and Aphrodite thru was interesting and I couldn’t wait turn the page and learn more. The story sucked me in from page one. The setting and characters were engaging and I was emotionally hooked from the beginning. I was prepared to give the book 5 ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Lovely War by Julie Berry - Restarting December 9th 2019 13 23 2 hours, 36 min ago
MSM Sophomore Eng...: Sarah James-Post 2 1 2 7 hours, 9 min ago

• With the Fire on High
  • Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
  • White Rose
  • Stepsister
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Field Notes on Love
  • Enchantée (Enchantée, #1)
  • Shout