Start by marking “The Last Stage” as Want to Read:
The Last Stage

The Last Stage

A reclusive musician’s hiding place is discovered, forcing her to confront her traumatic past … and someone seeking vengeance. A dark and riveting psychological thriller from number-one bestselling author Louise Voss

‘Superb, like an episode of Midsomer Murders written by Gillian Flynn’ Mark Edwards

‘Such a great concept. Enthrallingly gripping – and those twists! A must rea

Published June 9th 2019 by ORENDA BOOKS (first published May 11th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Stage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Stage

Start your review of The Last Stage
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 / 5

I really enjoyed the majority of The Last Stage by Louise Voss, but the ending caused it to fall a bit short for me.

What it's about: Meredith Vincent is currently living and working in the gift shop of an old stately home called Minstead House after abruptly leaving her band - for which she was the lead singer - in 1995. The public doesn't know why, and her band members were very upset with her, but the reminder on Meredith's hand is all she needs to remember why she's never going int
Shalini
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whew!! What a ride. Evil is as evil does. And nothing could be more malicious than a mind obsessed with destroying a person. OK, that gave me goosebumps.

Meredith was the lead singer of the band Cohen thirty years ago, when suddenly she left the limelight and disappeared. Today she lived a life of ignominy and worked in a gift shop. But small things started happening again, things which raised a tinge of doubt in her mind. Was her stalker back again? And where was her boss Ralph?

My first book by
Liz Barnsley
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to follow for the tour.
Eva
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Despite having written eleven novels over the years, Louise Voss is still very much a new-to-me author. Her previous book, The Old You, is the only one I’ve read so far (still one of my favourites too!) and I was quite excited to see what she’d come up with next.

That next book is here and it’s called The Last Stage. Meredith Vincent was the lead singer of a legendary 1980’s indie band. Until one day, she turned her back on it all and retreated to a little cottage on the grounds of an old stately
Kelly Van Damme
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Last Stage is one of those novels that is everything but clichéd, but still evokes all kinds of clichés in me: it’s gripping, it’s addictive, it’s unputdownable, I was glued to the pages. I hate to shower you with clichés but The Last Stage is in fact all of those things, and I was in fact totally glued to those pages.

I was such a fan of Louise Voss’s The Old You, it was one of my favourite thrillers last year, if you haven’t read it you totally should! With The Old You in mind and having re
Clair Sharpe
Meredith Vincent, once a world famous singer in rock band Cohen, is living the quiet life in obscurity, working in a gift shop in a stately home. She lives in a cottage on the estate, she has only a couple of close friends and no-one apart from her twin brother Pete knows about her previous life.
We quickly find out that something happened to Meredith that caused her to disappear from the public eye, something terrifying which still haunts her to this day. One day when she turns up at the shop sh
Joanne Robertson
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a Louise Voss fan for quite a few year now and her first book for Orenda, The Old You, was one of my favourite books of 2018. Her books seem to have got much darker since her move to Orenda which suits my tastes just fine so I was keen to see if The Last Stage continued in that vein and I am pleased to report that it did! Louise pretty much delivered my perfect psychological thriller here-it’s a slow burning, skilfully crafted narrative kept me captive for days! Yes, once again I had t ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went into reading this book with no expectations, no real idea what was likely to happen, just knew the title was staring at me on my bookshelf and that I should read it. It's also the first book I've read by this author, but on the basis of this, probably won't be the last.

The book starts with a snippet of a rather frightening incident from the past, before we pick up the present day action with Meredith. She used to be a lead singer of a popular indie band, but now 30 years works in a gift
Danielle
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stands up clapping* Louise has absolutely blown my mind out of the water, that is all! Okay, I'll tell you why, that's what we are here for right? I was like a fish on a hook from the prologue, you know that something disturbing has been shifted into motion but you have no clue how this will surface throughout the read. We are aware that Meredith has experienced a horrific event during her time as the lead singer of her band but the what and who are complete mysteries. This plotline itself creat ...more
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first delve into Louise Voss literary work, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it! The tone is wonderful, it flows brilliantly and I found myself thoroughly creeped out by the time I had finished, and got goosebumps throughout. There are several points throughout this cleverly original Psychological Thriller that I got a shiver down my spine, glued to the pages and unwilling to look away.

The story is a bit of a slow burn, we learn about the Characters in a way which leaves you th
Noemi Proietti
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Last year I had the pleasure to read my first novel by Louise Voss, The Old You, and I was so captivated by it that when Anne Carter invited me to join the blog tour for her new novel I didn’t have to think twice before accepting. I started reading THE LAST STAGE during a weekend at the beach with my entire family and I managed to sneak in just a few pages (not much time to relax with three very young nieces and nephew). So, for once, I was happy when Monday came and I could go back to my normal ...more
Don Jimmy Reviews
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite Louise Voss having written a massive number of books over the years, this was my first time reading the author. I had heard rave reviews of her previous books, but I somehow never made it to reading any. So when I received the invitation to this blog tour I grabbed at it.

The Last Stage opens brilliantly, and continues in the same vein. The tension builds and builds as unexplained events continue to happen and we are left wondering who would do these things.

Meredith is a character that ap
Jane Isaac
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping story, beautifully told, with
a true rollercoaster ride of twists and turns.
Anne
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
2.30am finish last night - couldn't put this one down until I'd read to the end. Loved it - review to follow for the blog tour...
Megan
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Lel Budge
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anne-cater
Meredith works in a Shop, it’s attached to a stately home and she loves the isolation and peace…..but there’s a few unsettling things, a break in at the shop, a dead rat and flowers beheaded. Nothing too sinister, but due to an event in her past it’s causing her a lot of stress and paranoia..

After a drunken ‘knee trembler’ with her boss Ralph, she is guilt ridden as he’s the husband of a friend…but when she finds him dead….panic sets in.

She calls her twin brother, Pete, for help……then after anot
Melanie’s reads
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a book of two parts for me. It started with a slow burning character driven narrative. Giving little snippets of Meredith’s past. I love an unreliable narrator and she is not only keeping secrets but lies to the police and her best friend.

Then once the body is found it becomes unsettling and almost claustrophobic in atmosphere. The setting of an isolated stately home really ramped up the creep factor.

DC Gemma McMeekin and DS Mark Davis, hilariously nicknamed Dark Mavis and new officer a
Rita
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'd give this book 2.5 stars, but arguing with myself about bothering to finish it pretty much says it all. The plot kept me going, but I wasn't vested in the fate of the main character. She was weak and manipulative. I don't think I will try this writer again.
Jen
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I read The Old You by Louise Voss last year, it was the first of her books that I'd read. I've never hidden the fact that after graduating with a degree in Literature, I picked up very few books for a period of nearly seventeen years, and so a lot of books, and authors simply passed me by, Ms Voss included. I've been playing catch up ever since, but when Louise Voss joined my favourite publisher, Orenda Books, I knew that the book was going to be elevated up my very high TBR pile. I read it ...more
David Harris
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm grateful to Orenda Books for a free advance copy of The Last Stage to consider for review and to Anne Cater at Random Things Through my Letterbox for inviting me to take part in the book's blogtour.

I live in a part of the country sometimes used for filming the ITV cosy crime series Midsomer Murders. We're used to seeing film crews in the village (once, my wife actually met Sykes the dog!) and I enjoy watching the programme, trying to spot where things were filmed. So I found the setup of thi
Nicola Smith
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, what a prologue. Short but very effective and I was glad I wasn't reading it in bed.

The Last Stage is a clever title, a play on words. Meredith Vincent was part of a band that was once huge. She was the lead singer and in the '80s and '90s the band, Cohen, was riding high. Why then did she suddenly decide to leave it all behind to work as a gift shop manager in a stately home, living in a remote cottage on the grounds? The last stage could be the last time she was on a stage, howli
Juliet Bookliterati
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read reviewed The Old You last year and was impressed by her skill in storytelling and the plot that I jumped at the chance to review her latest book. The Last Stage, like her previous books is an intricately plotted psychological thriller, that will get under your skin. Meredith Vincent is leading a quiet life, living in her cottage on the estate of Minstead House, where she works in the souvenir shop. This is a far cry from her previous life as the lead singer of rock band Cohen in the 1990’ ...more
Latkins
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent thriller with believable characters and plenty of unexpected twists. Highly recommended!
Maria
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Did you know that vengeance is better served cold? This is the story of Meredith who had been living in fear half of her life. In the past someone attacked her and now it seems that is back, why? And is she safe now?
Meredith was the singer of a top band when she was young, now she is scared if someone recognises her. But she is happy now living in the anonymity, she has a job she loves, has her beloved brother near her and has some good friends. Sadly, after a call strange things start to happen
Gill
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Last year I read The Old You by the same author and really enjoyed it so I thought I'd give another of Louise's books a go.

I thought this one a bit of a slow burner. I'm not really quite sure why I found it slow to get going as there is plenty going on throughout the book. Murder and strange goings on is quite a serious matter and yet there is a certain humour within the story, it made me smile on quite a few occasions.

Set within the grounds of a large country residence, there is a certain elem
Robert Wilde
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great thriller with twists and turns slowly revealed over it's 300 pages.
Karen Cole
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some people love the idea of living quietly, in a cottage away from everybody but others would be horrified at the thought of being so cut off from society. Meredith Vincent is in the former category but as The Last Stage progresses, it gradually becomes evident that there are reasons beyond just wanting a more peaceful life as to why she gave up international stardom to work in the gift shop of Minstead House, a stately home in the Surrey Hills.
With scenes set in the present days interspersed w
Mary Picken
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
With all the confidence of a brash 17 year old who knows nothing about the world, Meredith Vincent left her Wiltshire home and went to Greenham Common because she already had the right costume and thought it would be fun to breach the perimeter fence with the other women heading there to protest. That was a turning point in Meredith’s life because there she met Samantha; older, more worldly and they ended up living together in a London squat with a bunch of other drop outs.

Turning her back on he
Jacob Collins
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Last Stage by Louise Voss is a tense and breathtaking psychological thriller. I can’t believe it’s taken me more than a year to get round to reading this book, as I was a huge fan of her previous novel, The Old You. Her last two books have now ensured that I will read anything that she releases and immediately bump it up to the top of my TBR pile.

The tension kicks in right at the very start of the book, with a very tense and disturbing opening, and it never drops. We meet Meredith who once
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I'll be the first to admit that on the whole, I find thrillers either hit or miss. When approached about reading "The Last Stage" even though I had never heard of the book or the author, I was intrigued by the mention of a 1980's indie band. I love music and am an 80's gal so I knew I had to give it a try. I'm so glad I did.

Years ago Meredith was a famous indie singer until something happened that forced her into leading a very recluse life. She now lives on an estate and runs the souvenir shop.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Closer I Get
  • In the Absence of Miracles
  • Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)
  • Violet
  • Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)
  • A Dark Matter
  • Degrees of Guilt
  • Worst Case Scenario
  • Blood Song (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells #3)
  • The Home
  • I Am Dust
  • Someone Is Lying
  • I Could Be You
  • The July Girls
  • Call Me Star Girl
  • Cage (Reykjavik Noir Trilogy, #3)
  • The Girl at the Window
  • Beast (Six Stories, #4)