Start by marking “The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)

The Clinic (Alex Delaware #11)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  8,057 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
In the realm of psychological suspense, Jonathan Kellerman is without peer. Now, following an extraordinary eleven successive "New York Times"
bestsellers, he has written an Alex Delaware novel to match his best--about the murder of a celebrity author and the truth behind her public facade.
She was found stabbed to death on a quiet, shady street in one of L.A.'s safest neig
Audio Cassette, Abridged, 11 pages
Published January 29th 2002 by Random House Audio (first published December 15th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Clinic, please sign up.

Kerry Chenise.
"It added up to some kind of genetic misalignment. Maybe nothing with an official name. What used to be called 'syndromy' back in my intern days."(less)
Frances Forrest I meant Turner's Syndrome.,but now I know that it doesn't affect intelligence. Thank you Kerry!

David Highton
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit slow-moving in th first half, this book speeds up towards the end, with a rush to the final conclusion as the last piece in the jigsaw falls into place. Alex Delaware plays the key support role after Detective Milo Sturgis is given a murder case of a psychology professor that has made no progress for 3 months.
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comfort-food
Jackie Ullerich
Without a doubt, I am a huge fan of the Alex Delaware series. The concept of this book was truly brilliant and Kellerman's descriptive writing gave me chills. The characters, the scenes popped off the page!

For those of you who love mysteries/thrillers, do not miss this series!
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really not sure why, but this was not one of my favorite Kellermans. I love a good psychological suspense story, but this one was just so outlandish, with organ harvesting, kinky sex, rape, a few too many characters, and an abrupt ending for me to give it more than three stars. Perhaps I'm just getting burned out on murder mysteries!
Sep 10, 2009 rated it liked it
I've read many of the Alex Delaware novels, and have enjoyed them all - some more than others. This was actually a very interesting book in which very little was predictable. Really the only thing I didn't like about it was the ending. I felt I was left hanging wondering how did Alex feel about what he discovered and what was he going to do with that information.
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the first book in the Dr. Delaware series that I have read. Jumping into the middle of the series, I did not find that I was confused about the characters or any past histories. That was one thing that I really liked about the novel.

I really love crime stories, and thought that this was an easy and quick read with a good plausible plot. There were times when I was confused as to why something was included, and although confusing at the time, everything makes sense by the end.

If you are
Apr 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Margie by: Mark Hall
Shelves: mystery, series
Good fluff.
I noted that Kellerman has an almost pathological need to give a physical description of various characters; exactly how tall they are, the length of their sideburns, etc.
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Still catching up reading the Kellerman books I missed when they came out. As always, a good plot. I enjoy both Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis. Didn't see much of Robin in this installment.
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A too tidy ending made me lower the number of stars to three. There was so.much explanation in the rest of the story that the rushed ending left me feeling dissatisfied.
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I haven't picked up a Kellerman book for ages. I forgot how much I like the characters in the Alex Delaware series. Good story. Solid characters. Enjoyable to the very end.
aPriL does feral sometimes
I don't know why, but this reminded me somewhat of Miami Vice. Everyone is a player. Except for one young woman, a rape victim. Everyone else not playing is excusing the player's behavior, twisted as it is, because the players also do some good, as if it made it all balance out. As if. Reading these books in the Delaware series gives the reader real insight, if you have the experience of knowing a lot of people, and if you want to really understand what makes people tick. From my own experience, ...more
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm a great fan of Alex Delaware and his crime fighting partner, Lt. Milo Sturgis of LAPD Homicide. Somehow I missed reading this book when it originally came out. This one was released as an audio book which I usually like for this series because the reader of most of these has been John Rubinstein, who has a real feel for the way I envision these characters. I was a little disappointed that the reader turned out to be someone else in this case but he did a pretty good job nonetheless.
In some c
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The three-month-old cold case of murdered psychologist professor and writer Hope Devane reunited Detective Milo Sturgis and Dr. Alex Delaware to solve the baffling controversial case. Delving into the recess areas of Hope’s life uncovered a woman with an altered sense of justice and a deceptive outer appearance sent the investigative duo shuffling through several societal classes only to be left with more intriguing and confusing possibilities.

“The Clinic” introduced a variety of characters wit
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Sometimes mysteries have a problem. Jonathan Kellerman’s book about a college professor who is murdered falls into that trap. Kellerman builds up suspense through a twisty plot. Psychologist Alex Delaware and Detective Milo Sturgis investigate the professor and her shadowy student conduct committee. Although the work of the committee leaves the professor with many enemies, the investigation also produces leads that relate to the professor’s relationship with her husband, her childhood, and her p ...more
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I like the how the puzzle pieces in Kellerman's books fit together even though sometimes it kind of feels like things happen out of nowhere. The other thing I never care for in these books is the number of paragraphs he uses to describe the routes Delaware takes to get anywhere. He's in and around LA for the most part, but he has to describe what streets Alex turns on, what freeways he takes, where he parks. It's not really setting the scene if you aren't really familiar with the freeways and ev ...more
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kellerman fans.
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I feel like I'm starting to be a broken record. I just can't understand why Jonathan Kellerman feels the need to included so much extraneous detail in his books. I just don't need to know every business establishment in the strip mall they happen to be passing. I am 100% sure the books would be half as long without detailing what everyone looks like, what they're wearing, what the buildings and rooms look like, what the scenery looks like, etc. The stories continue to be interesting, though, whi ...more
Hope Devane, psicóloga y polémica escritora de bestsellers seudopsicológicos, aparece acuchillada en una calle de Los Angeles. Todo apunta a que se trata de una ejecución, de una venganza, pero los tres meses de investigaciones policiales aún no han proporcionado ninguna pista. El detective Milo Sturgis, a quien se le ha asignado el caso, recurre a su amigo Alex. A partir de ese momento comienzan a destaparse las facetas secretas de la vida de Hope. Al investigar la infancia de la víctima, Alex ...more
Sep 07, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a bunch of these "psychological thrillers" by Kellerman. "The Clinic" was not amazing, but it did hold my interest and (as ususal) included various tidbits about abnormal psychology that were interesting. I guess I've grown moderately fond of the lead characters--Alex Delaware, the psychologist who digs into cases for the police and his gay police detective buddy, Milo--so reading another in the series is like visiting old friends.
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I like Kellerman as an author, and I like the Alex Delaware series. This story is interesting and a good read, with several plots running so that it does not get boring.
While it was somewhat plausible, the mix of themes had me wondering.

I bought this book new at a book sale, and plan to pass it on.
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
An author is found dead, and the case grows cold, despite there being several suspects. Milo & Alex take the case and work together, and start to discover clues once they investigate her childhood. There is a ridiculous organ harvesting angle, and the killer pours his heart out at the end to "explain" everything.
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, 2016-goal
Slightly convoluted plot line meandered to the end... Too many possibilities that the endless hypothesizing by my fave lieutenant and psychologist became grating. Not the best but still very readable to a fan.
Nov 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is turning out to be a great series. I really enjoy the psychological aspects of the plot. Also the plot, motives, characters and twists and turns seem pretty sophisticated., which one to read next....
I always find myself saying the same things about Kellerman's books: I like them, they have interesting and gripping stories, the caracters are believable but it just has too many bla bla bla through the middle. And that makes the reading somewhat slow.
Well, worth reading anyway :)
I like both Jonathan and Faye Kellerman books. This one I'll be using for the challenge as the LBGT task (Milo). I didn't like this one as much as his older Dr. AD books.
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of his better novels.
Edmond Gagnon
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Big yawn!
I really tried to finish this book just to see who did it, but three quarters of the way through I didn't care any more and gave up. I've read previous works by Kellerman and love his characters, but for a murder mystery novel, this one made want to fluff my pillow instead of turning the page.
There was way too much fluff...useless descriptions of everyone, hypothesizing between characters, and painfully dull dialog.
If you're looking for a good read to help you sleep, The Clinic is for
A feminist professor is found murdered in the bushes and psychologist Alex Delaware is back to help solve the case. Same good characters and Alex's research into the background of the victim make for a pleasant, commute friendly who-dun-it. A little rushed at the end, just magically concludes and bam.
Stef O'connor
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for an easy read. I actually enjoyed the book though it seemed a little far-fetched. I was disappointed in the ending but only because it didn't tell me what Alex thought of what he found out and what he was going to do with that knowledge- but I can speculate
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book finds Alex and Milo investigating the death of a prominent psychologist whose murder has become a cold case. As they delve into her past they find things that she wanted hidden. Ok read
Clinic Website Australia 1 1 Sep 15, 2017 01:11AM
Guam Clinic 1 1 Aug 04, 2017 04:34AM
  • Moon Music
  • Slowly, Slowly in the Wind
  • Sunstroke
  • Turnstone (DI Joe Faraday, #1)
  • Name Withheld (J.P. Beaumont, #13)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
  • Before I Go to Sleep