Start by marking “The Contact Paradox: Challenging Our Assumptions in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence” as Want to Read:

Inside the difficult questions about humanity's search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

What will happen if humanity makes contact with another civilization on a different planet? In The Contact Paradox, space journalist Keith Cooper tackles some of the myths and assumptions that underlie SETI--the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.

In 1974 a message was beamed
Published January 21st 2020 by Bloomsbury SIGMA

To ask other readers questions about The Contact Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Contact Paradox

Start your review of The Contact Paradox: Challenging Our Assumptions in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
Tiger
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting, very well researched book about the possibility of making contact with an intelligent alien civilization. The author not only takes us down the path of what humans would need to do scientifically to try and make contact (it's a lot) but he also spends a good portion of the book walking us through the broader issue of "Is it even a good idea?"

He discusses what exactly does "intelligence" encompass and is altruism solely a human trait- kind of an important topic wouldn't you
Chad Guarino
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The Contact Paradox is an interesting take in SETI's search for extraterrestrial life in the universe, detailing not only the agency's efforts and new discoveries, but also the inherent problems humanity would face as a species if we were to find something and be unprepared for how to handle it on a cultural level. The books covers a large variety of topics, including Dyson Spheres, Earth like planets, extinction events, and the science of black holes.

While this is a highly scientific book, I
Allen Adams
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it

Are we alone in the universe?

Simple math would seem to indicate that we are not; what are the odds that Earth is alone among an infinite number of planets in producing intelligent life? And yet, we have yet to encounter these other intelligences in any verifiable way.

So … where is everyone?

That’s part of the question being tackled by Keith Cooper’s new book “The Contact Paradox: Challenging our Assumptions in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.”
Leonardo
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It was written to cover a technical topic but in a manner that was understandable and not too dense and in the weeds with terms or math that would lose the reader. I saw a preview copy with layout, typos, etc, but adjusting for that and assuming that those issues will be edited in final copy, I see the writing style, grammar etc as very good. In fact In several places I liked the writers ability to eloquently and elegantly present ideas that helped visualizing ...more
☄k.c.☄
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
A great book about the many potential scenarios involved with first contact with aliens. You can tell that a lot of time and effort went into researching and writing this; every part of this book gives the science of whatever is being talked about, along with plenty of examples and comparisons to help make it easy for people who – like me – struggle to understand the sciences. There are moments of humor and heart, and I think that this would have been that much better if there had been more of ...more
Scott Kardel
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: astronomy
Keith Cooper's The Contact Paradox is a good look at the current status of SETI (the Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence) that explores the issues and implications of both listening for possible signals and the issues of whether we should be broadcasting or not.
Mitch Croskell
Austin Cox
Dec 21, 2019
Jeremy Kreamer
Dec 22, 2019

• Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Human Compatible: Artificial Intelligence and the Problem of Control
  • Sandworm: A New Era of Cyberwar and the Hunt for the Kremlin's Most Dangerous Hackers
  • Mossad: The Greatest Missions of the Israeli Secret Service
  • The Anatomy of a Spy: A History of Espionage and Betrayal
  • The Guns of August
  • The Cabin at the End of the World
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • The War of the Worlds
  • Will
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • The War in the West: Volume 1: The Rise of Germany, 1939-1941
  • I am a Pole (And So Can You!)
  • Spaceside (Planetside #2)
  • Once Lured (Riley Paige Mystery, #4)