Start by marking “The Girl Before You” as Want to Read:

The Girl Before You

She was his.
She was perfect.
And then, she was gone.

If you liked My Lovely Wife, you’ll love this.

Alice has always been haunted by the women from her husband’s past. As a politician and now a TV personality, George Bell’s reputation as a ladies’ man precedes him. But when Alice falls pregnant, her unease becomes an obsession.

And there’s one ex in particular she can’t get out of her head, a beautiful studeobsession.

And

Published May 6th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Before You, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
LCA
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Girl Before You
Michelle
"If you liked My Lovely Wife, you’ll love this."

Can we stop with these comparisons? These books are nothing alike. Not at all.

Alice is married to George who is a politician turned television personality. Charming and confident he seems to always attract the attention of women. He was known as quite the ladies man during his university days but he doesn't really like to discuss his past with his wife which leads her to believe that he's keeping secrets. Now that Alice finds herself pregnant s
Amanda
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
An intriguing start. Naomi watches her sister Ruth getting ready to go, out not knowing this may be the last time she will see her again.

The book is told from numerous people’s prospectives with different timelines. This can be either very confusing or very clever, but with this story it works perfectly.

Alice is married to George a television presenter who was formerly a politician, she has always known he was a ladies man and has often wondered about his previous relationships. They met at un
Mandy White
The Girl Before you by Nicola Rayner was not the page turner that I had hoped for. While overall I enjoyed the story I found it to be slow and dragged out. At times it I felt that I was reading the same thing over and over. Having said that I will read more by this author as I liked the story as whole.

George Bell is an MP and now a TV star. He has a reputation of being a ladies man. His wife Alice finally falls pregnant and becomes obsessed with one of Georges exes - Ruth, a read hai
Louise Wilson
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ⭐ rounded up to 4

Alice has always been haunted by the women from her husbands past. As an MP and now a TV personality, George Bell's reputation as a ladies' man precedes him. But when Alice falls pregnant, her unease becomes an obsession.

This is a dual timeline story about Ruth's disappearance. The story starts of slowly before picking up its pace. Roth had went missing some time ago. People tell us about her that she went to Uni with her. We also hear from her sister
Lou
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The Girl Before You is one of those psychological thrillers where the synopsis could is interchangeable with that of another book in the genre without losing the gist of the story. That's because there are so many novels effectively repeating the same trope-laden tale over and over, and this book is no exception. Don't get me wrong it's a fun, light, take-with-a-pinch-of-salt type of read and perhaps decent for a summer holiday or lounging around but nothing special or original.

However, I feel
Mark
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

‘The Girl Before You’ by Nicola Rayner published by Avon Books and Out NOW ( published 27/6 )

384 Pages

All the way through this book I felt I had read it before, I hadn’t! and that doesn’t mean it wasn’t good, it and the themes just felt ‘familiar’......
I am not sure if the tag line ‘This Years Girl on The Train’ helped, this is distracting and also quite an accolade to live up to!
Anyway the story is....rich and privileged uni kids, excessive drink, drugs, sex and all the woes that
Liz Barnsley
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping psych thriller and multi arc drama really very good.

I love books that look back to college or university days it's one of my favourite types of dual timeline to read and this one was really very clever - different interactions and motivations and in present time a wife who starts questioning everything she thought she knew about her husband...

There's a stellar cast of strong female characters and a thought provoking underneath to it all plus the plotting is tau
Roman Clodia
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm pretty jaded when it comes to yet another domestic thriller with 'The Girl...' in the title but this one came with The Guardian's recommendation of note-perfect prose and an addictive story-line... but, you know, it's just the same-old stuff: switching narrators/PoV, a then-and-now storyline, privileged men, #metoo women, the wife who suddenly realises she doesn't know her husband, the devious best friend, girl-on-girl competition for men, a double helping of pregnancy, the dead sister trope ...more
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Nicola Rayner and HarperCollins Publishers Australia for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars.

I was eager to start this as I read that it's along similar lines to Girl on the Train and yes it was, especially at the beginning. But what I discovered with this was the story was a bit too slow for me. It was still good but I'd rather have had it been more fast paced as I found my attention drifted quite a few times. It re
Giulia
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book from the start-Ruth had gone missing quite a while back and you get a few people from her past reminisce about their relationships from when they were at Uni with her. One point of view is told by Ruth's sister-Naomi. (yes, like the Bible story.) We see how they are dealing or not dealing with her disappearance so many years later. All of their stories seem unrelated but the author manages to intertwine them just enough so you know beyond a doubt that eventually it will be conf ...more
Claire Wilson
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Girl Before You is one of those slow-burning books that you don't realise is fantastic until you get to the end and become disappointed that it's over. The story is told over two different time frames, the time leading up to Ruth's disappearance and years later. This book will leave you gasping, with characters you will hate and others that are relatable. 4 stars
Carlos
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
The Girl Before You is being marketed as " The new Girl on the train...The ending will leave you gasping" and after reading it all I can say is I'm not sure I've read the same book as the person who wrote that line.

While I'm not the biggest "Girl on the train" fan I decided to give this a try cause the synopsis sounded good but, oh boy, was this boring. A psychological thriller with absolutely no thrills.

The story is told through three different POVs and alternates between t
Jessica | Booked J
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Blog | Twitter | Instagram

Review was originally posted here to Booked J. As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

The Girl Before You, not to be confused with The Girl Before, was not at all what I expected it to be. At all. Which, to put it bluntly, is a brilliant thing to note. The Girl Before You was highly addictive, if not a little generic and slowly paced in terms of modern thrillers, and I found myself, too,with
Alexandra Zaytseva
I've been meaning to write the review for «The Girl Before You» by Nicola Raynor for a very long time. I read it back at the beginning of May, and have been trying to come up with some words to describe this book ever since.

The Observer compared this book to «The Girl On The Train» by Paula Hawkins but in my opinion, it didn’t live up to this comparison. It's definitely not The Girl On The Train and it's definitely not a book I will reread at any point.

The reason why it took me so long to fi
Fay Flude
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a dark tale of men mistreating women under the guise of partying fun, where women strive to find their sexual freedom during their university years with devastating consequences. George and Dan are repellent characters, Naomi so endearing and Alice who is mostly brave but should never have married George in the first place.
However the whole book is centred around Ruth, the magnetic redhead, who is feisty, wild and ends up missing. Presumed to have died by drowning, nothing is clear cut
Tiffany Foskey
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmmm this book is interesting enough with enough twists to keep you wanting to know what happened. It is told by 3 or 4 different POV's. A girl Ruth goes missing while in college and years later her mystery is finally solved sorta. It starts out with Alice who begins to obsess over her husbands exes from college once she finds out that one of the exes was Ruth. Her obsession leads to Ruth's sister Naomi and together they dig to find the truth. Thank you to Netgalley and Avon Books for the oppurt ...more
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
It is never a good thing to dwell on past relationships that your partner had before you.

This is the case for Alice, when she see’s a girl on the train who bears a remarkable resemblance to her husband George’s ex girlfriend Ruth, who he dated in his first year at St Anthony’s University.

This shouldn’t make Alice upset right? Wrong! The issue is that Ruth mysteriously disappeared whist they were at university, believed to be dead when seen swimming in the ocean on the nig
Storme
Thank you Avon UK and NetGalley for an early reader review book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Apparently this is supposed to be like The Girl on the Train and leave you gasping at the end. I don’t understand how thrillers are suddenly compared to their predecessors like there are no longer original ideas to be had in regards to the genre. It’s a disappointment because I really enjoy thrillers, but I’m put off at times by the lack of originality.

This is a split POV
twiinklex
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I would not call this a thriller because it's not thrilling at all and barely a mystery. It reminds me of the equally slow-paced The French Girl by Lexie Elliott but with less beautiful prose.

Firstly, there were too many character names (note that I didn't say 'characters'). Because the story wasn't gripping or engaging to keep me turning the pages, I kept losing track of who's who and wh
Megan Leprich
Thank you so much to Avon Books and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This was not the page-turner I was expecting it to be. I was hoping for a great domestic thriller after reading the synopsis but it fell a little short for me. It was an overall okay read but at times I felt like the story was getting repetitive and I was reading the same thing over and over again.

This story is told from three different points of view and goes bac
Bethany Rutledge
I enjoyed The Girl Before You. First off, it's tough to pull off three POVS + past present, but the author weaves them seamlessly.

This was a slow burn and had enough twists and turns to keep experienced thriller readers guessing.
I would recommend checking it out.

She was his. She was perfect. And then, she was gone.An addictive and twisting psychological suspense, perfect for summer.

If you liked My Lovely Wife, you’ll love this.Alice has always been hau
Anya Leonard
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though this book started out slow, it picked up quickly and I was wrapped into the dual timeline story of Ruth’s disappearance. It follows the viewpoints of different players in Ruth’s disappearance at the time and current day. It differed from a lot of other thrillers in that as far as I could tell, I had no idea what was occurring until almost the very end and it was very well thought out.

The story became more interesting as the book went on and I found myself seeking it out instea
Bridget
This book was right up my street! Following a slightly slow start, the pace picked up considerably and I was immersed in this fabulous dual timeline story. It followed the viewpoints of different players in a disappearance both at that time and in the current day.

"The Girl Before You" was a very well thought out and engaging story and was edgy enough to keep my interest. With absorbing characters and intriguing themes it was definitely worth the read and for me, the elements all cleverly tied i
Agustina
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I received an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. Thanks Nicola Rayner!

I would give this book 3 1/2 stars.

The story is told from the perspective of 4 women: Ruth, Naomi, Alice, and Kat. Each chapter is told by a different character, sometimes in the present and sometimes in the past. I like the writing style, it was easy to follow and you could see how each person read the situation differently. At times I felt that I was reading without getting anyway closer to the resol
Marianne
Slow burner

This didn’t get going for quite some time and the alternating narrative was confusing at times, especially at the beginning.

When it does pick up it offers some decent twists. The writing and characters were good. There was a lot going on in this story. Some of which didn’t seem necessary or really add to the plot.

The ending? I’m a bit torn about that one. Decent, but a bit open ended which isn’t my favorite. It was interesting and I was curious how it would play out, overall entert
peggy
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I really struggled with this book.
Disjointed and did not flow well. This is the second time I have read this book and it does not get any better. Saying that I am sure other readers of this genre will enjoy it more. Just not for me.
I would like to thank the author, Avon Books UK and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
Marianne
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This was my first book by this author and I found the story very entertaining. At first it was maybe a little confusing since it has 3 POV storylines but once I got that figured out I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough to see how it ends. Thank you publisher and netgalley for this arc in exchange of an honest review.
Linda Richardson
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars for this quick read debut. A bit confusing as it’s told from 3 narrators, whose voices weren’t distinctive to me. Fairly predictable plot and an unsurprising ending. I look forward to more books from the author as I think she’s got a lot of potential.
Natalie
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting, dark and well thought out read that captures your attention from the get go....I finished this book in record time.
Morgan Schulman
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is a really good bad boy/dead girl type thriller if that's your thing. You kind of want to shake the wive as she has a bit of TSTL but all the others entertain, even the bad guys, and it's very enjoyable reading. Did not see ending coming.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Perfect Stranger
  • Woman in the Water
  • The Honeymoon
  • We Were Sisters
Nicola Rayner was born in Abergavenny, south Wales, and works as a freelance journalist, specialising in dance and travel. The Girl Before You, her debut novel, was runner-up in the Cheltenham First Novel Competition in 2018. She lives in London with her husband and Jack Russell.