Start by marking “The Last Thing She Told Me” as Want to Read:
The Last Thing She Told Me

The Last Thing She Told Me

'Emotionally moving. A thought-provoking page turner with a poignant three-generational link.' Jane Corry, author of The Dead Ex, The Sunday Times Bestseller.

Even the deepest-buried secrets can find their way to the surface...

Moments before she dies, Nicola's grandmother Betty whispers to her that there are babies at the bottom of the garden.

Nicola's mother claims she

Published July 26th 2018 by Quercus Publishing (first published May 31st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Thing She Told Me, please sign up.
Megan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Last Thing She Told Me
sue
Released 24th July 2018 order your copy

I have just finished reading this with tears streaming down my face blobbing on my pillow as I lay reading it.
Several times I had a lump in my throat but the ending surely tipped the scales in my emotions.

Linda Green can surely take you over with her writing. I dare anyone to read this book and scoff because it’s so beautifully agonisingly well written.

It’s raw, so raw it hurts.

Generations of hurt, unrest, secrets hidden because of shame, embarrassment or
Louise Wilson
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moments before she died, Nicola's grandmother whispers to her a long kept secret. Nichola's mother claims she was talking nonsense. But which one is telling the truth?

When Nicola learns for her grandmother Betty that there might be babies buried at the bottom of the garden, she confronts her mother about it. Her mother tells her it's just the ramblings of a dying woman. But then, Nicola's youngest daughter Maisie, finds a small bone near the fairy ornaments at the bottom of the garden. This
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'She said something just before she died. Something I didn't understand.'

'What?'

She said there were babies at the bottom of the garden. She asked me to look after her babies. '

For the first time I saw Mum's face crack. Her eyes widened, and her bottom lip trembled. 'I wouldn't take any notice of her. She were probably losing her mind by then.'

'She wasn't, though. I asked her if she meant her fairy statues, but she was adamant they were babies.'

'She were probably thinking about angels.
Pauline
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Last Thing She Told Me by Linda Green was a heartbreaking story of secrets, lost and regret.
Nicola is visiting her grandmother who is extremely ill. The last things she tells Nicola is that there is babies at the bottom of the garden and to look after them for her.
After her grandmother dies Nicola decides to investigate this and things quickly start to escalate out of her control.
I enjoyed reading this book despite the subject matter. This is the first book I have read from this author and I
Lou
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Linda Green is a new name in the game for me, I haven't come across her books before but I know from my research that she has penned quite a few that fit into the mystery/thriller genre. I am actively looking at the blurb for the rest of them and plan to purchase some of them to read over the long, hot, summer days. Usually, emotional books have trouble working their magic on me but I was surprised to find that this was an exception to the well established rule.

Nicola is looking after her dying
Ken
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moments before Nicola’s grandmother Betty dies, she whispers for her to look after the babies at the bottom of the garden.
Assuming she meant to angel statues that are placed their, Nicola is aghast when youngest daughter Maisie finds a small bone.

This book is steeped in family secrets as Nicola believes she has a moral obligation to inform the police, she wasn’t prepared for the past to resurface in the way that it did.

It’s a tough story that tackles a really dark issue, but it’s credit to the
Mandy White
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warning... this book will make you cry! So many powerful emotions. I have read a few books by Linda Green and am never disappointed - this one was no different. Really enjoyed this one, despite the tough storyline, I read this in a couple of hours.

3 generations of one family, all with their secrets. Nicola is with her grandmother Betty in her final hours. Just before passing away Betty asks her grand daughter to look after her babies at the end of the garden. At first she thinks she means the
ABCme
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Wow! This is one heck of a well crafted mystery!
Fast paced with indepth characters and spooky surroundings, it ticked all my boxes.

Grandma's last words "look after my babies" turn Nicola's world upside down before she has a chance to interfere.
What used to be the garden playground with adorable fairy statues, turns out to be the keeper of a decades old secret. Tiny bones are found and nobody's talking. What happened all those years ago?
While the police are investigating, we accompany Nicola and
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The last thing Nicole's grandmother Betty told her before she died is to take care of the babies at the bottom of the garden. This bewilders Nicole, but since there are two fairy statues at the bottom of the garden could it perhaps be them her grandmother talked about. But, Nicole starts to think that something is very wrong when her youngest daughter finds something by one of the fairies.

THE LAST THING SHE TOLD ME is a story about secrets, about mother and daughter relationships. And, about
Katherine
"All I could think of as I sat there and sobbed was the last thing she told me."

Well, talk about a book coming out of the middle of freakin’ nowhere. This just goes to show that sometimes impulse reads are the best kind of reads.

Nicola’s grandmother is dying. Devastated by the loss of her beloved grandmother, Nicola quickly rushes to her bedside to be with her in her last moments. Her final words to Nicola are words that she never expected to hear, but ones that will have lasting
Karen Whittard
I actually struggled a bit with this one. I don’t know why. I don’t know if it was the writing style or what it was. But at first something just didn’t sit with me. I did read this to the end however and the ending was a very good twist. But I’m still not 100% made me mind up about if I really liked it or not.
Bridget
A fabulous read from Linda Green.

This was a mystery told from three generations of the same family. Full of tense, gripping moments and many twists and turns the story was intensely exciting to read and the characters were well fleshed out. It was also very emotional and heartbreaking and it had me hooked from the start. I would definitely recommend The Last Thing She Told Me.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Quercus Books via NetGalley. This review
Adele Shea
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the day her Grandmother passed away, Nicola not only had to say goodbye to her, she also had to listen to her Grandmothers last wish. This wish being that Nicola look after the babies buried at the bottom of the garden.
It wasn't just babies that where buried there, it was centuries of secrets that blow lives apart and also bring to the fore, sinister goings on.
I really enjoyed this book but found some of the material hard to read at times, although it highlights issues that can and have
Paula Sealey
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A moving account of a family troubled by events from the past. The story sees central character Nicola trying to piece together what happened to her grandmother Betty, in turn revealing devastating events that affect the whole family.

An emotional read with a well crafted plot that kept me guessing throughout. The story deals with traumatic issues in a very sensitive way and I really felt for the characters affected. If you enjoy an involving story that covers deeper topics then this is the book
~ Becs ~
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one - a thoroughly good twisty page turner.
Susan Hampson
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-reads
The dilemma with a secret is should it go to the grave or finally be shared. Ninety year old Betty was close to dying but before she did she passed on two things to her granddaughter Nicola. Firstly she was leaving her in charge of the cottage where she had lived out most of her life, this then had to be left to Ruby, Nicola’s oldest daughter and secondly a secret. But had Nicola heard correctly? I must admit it sent shivers through me even though I was reading on a blistering hot day. Nicola ...more
Dawn
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.

Nicola is caring for her dying grandmother and in her last moments she tells her to look after the babies in the garden. Betty passed away and Nicola is devastated. She speaks with her mum who tells her to leave it alone but when Nicola’s young daughter finds a bone, her whole world starts to crumble.

This story is interwoven with another POV from one of the women in the family and it’s so heartbreaking that
Liz
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a difficult book to rate. The subject matter means it’s not a book you can enjoy, it’s very sad and unsettling but, at the same time, a compelling and absorbing read.

3-4 stars
Clare

With thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Ninety year old Betty was dying but had chosen to spend her last days at home. When her Granddaughter Nicola came to visit, Betty explained she had left her the cottage in her will. Just as Betty slipped away she asked Nicola to look after her babies for her.

Nicola knew her mother Irene has been an only child. When Nicola asked her mother about it she was told 'don't worry about it, she was probably
Fiona Mccormick
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh what a brilliant book! Started it today and read it over a couple of hours, I didn't want to put it down., it was so well written. I love books like these written about generations of a family and how the actions of someone many years ago reverberate through to the present. Some absolutely heartbreaking themes are explored, and it is mainly a story about family relationships, of secrets which have been kept hidden over a lifetime. My heart just broke for some of the characters especially when ...more
Halime   Yazıcı Mimaroğlu
After long time reading this book put a smile on my face because of book being really wonderful.
There are some things probably will make you feel bad. But you will find yourself from first page to last page.
I just dont want to believe there is real life stories like this. Rape and fate of women in society...

Just give it a chance if you love read mystery and thriller
Lady Delacour
I am always drawn
to an inherited house story.
Linda Green gives us a mystery
with thrills and so much more.
Well done Linda Green!
Foul Language.
Lisa
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This is an excellent domestic drama set in present day England but with elements from the past interspersed.
I confess I found it difficult to keep my emotions in check - I listened to this on audio and there were some embarrassing moments when my face contorted and my eyes leaked (I was on my lunch hour walk at the time!)
It was incredibly sad in places. Overall a great story highly recommended, but if you are feeling emotionally challenged I wouldn't advise reading this one until you feel
Joann
I found this book to be a little wearing on me for the most part and couldn't wait for it to be over. Nicola’s ill advised family history crusade is interspersed with wartime love letters to someone called Betty from a man called William, and also the memories of an anonymous woman are also in this book. This is more a family drama than a mystery. This was just an OK read. Not a mystery I would recommend. Skip it and you won't feel any pain - my pain was trying to read it!
Katherine Hayward Pérez
Another great book by Linda Green. Thanks to Linda Green and publisher for my ARC in exchange for an honest and voluntary review.
Ophelia Sings
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With her dying breath, Nicola's grandmother tells her that there are babies at the bottom of the garden. Unsettled but unconvinced, Nicola gets on with the business of mourning. Until a sinister discovery uncovers shocking secrets, long buried - and which threaten to tear her family apart...

The Last Thing She Told Me is a deeply moving tale about how secrets, however old, can resonate down the years - so far, so standard thriller. Where the Linda Green's poignant latest offering differs from the
Sheri
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I’ve read by Linda Green, and right away I knew I was going to love it. The story is hugely engaging, the characters very believable and ultimately it packs a massive emotional punch.

It begins with the death of Nicola’s grandmother, Betty, in her home in a Yorkshire village - only Nicola is there, as her mother, Irene, is apparently estranged from Betty. Betty’s last words to Nicola are to ask her to look after the babies at the bottom of the garden: words which naturally
Aimee Walker Editorial
Even the deepest buried secrets can find their way to the surface...
Nicola's mother claims she was talking nonsense. However, when Nicola's daughter finds a bone while playing in Betty's garden, it's clear that something sinister has taken place.
But will unearthing painful family secrets end up tearing Nicola's family apart?
The new emotionally-charged suspense novel from Linda
Donna Maguire

This was a fantastic story that really made me emotional at times and at more than one point in the book I had tears streaming down my face, I was completely wrapped up in the plot and it is one that stayed with me after I'd finished.

This book is so well written, the words just flowed and I flew through the story, it really had me hooked and as the story developed I didn't want to stop reading and it was another of my late night finishes, I simply had to
Elisabeth Soane
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley-2018
Nicola’s grandmother passes peacefully in her home with Nicola at her side. Her last words are “Look after the babies” but Nicola’s mother was an only child so what babies? Then Nicola’s daughter finds a bone under the fairy statue in the garden.
Nicola tries to unravel the secrets from her family. The story is interspersed with letters and memories from the past.
I thought this was well written and loved the characters. The story had me gripped as it unfolded and reduced me to tears.
This is the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Holiday
  • No Way Out (DI Adam Fawley, #3)
  • Come Back For Me
  • If Only I Could Tell You
  • Moving
  • The Girl in the Letter
  • The Evidence Against You
I was born in North London in 1970 and brought up in Hertfordshire. I wrote my first novella, the Time Machine, aged eight, shortly after which I declared that my ambition was to have a novel published (I could have been easy on myself and just said ‘to write a novel’ but no, I had to consign myself to years of torture and rejections). I was frequently asked to copy out my stories for the ...more