Start by marking “Grace in the Wings (Grace Michelle #1)” as Want to Read:
Grace in the Wings (Grace Michelle #1)

Grace in the Wings

(Grace Michelle #1)

New York City, 1920. Grace Michelle has everything she wants: a home, a family, and a future career as a costume designer for famed showman Florenz Ziegfeld, Jr.’s Ziegfeld Follies. Pretty good for a girl who once lived on the streets of New York City. But when her sister, Sophia, the star of the show, is murdered, Grace’s safe and protected life is shattered.

Battle-scarr
Kindle Edition
Published September 19th 2019 by Bosque Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Grace in the Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace in the Wings

Start your review of Grace in the Wings (Grace Michelle #1)
Karen KK
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

New York City, 1920. Grace Michelle has everything she wants: Pretty good for a girl who once lived on the streets of New York City. But when her sister, Sophia, the star of the show, is murdered, Grace’s safe and protected life is shattered.

A so-so read, not really compelled to continue with the series.

2.5☆
Moonkiszt
Grace in the Wings
A Grace Michelle Mystery

New York! New York! Ziegfeld Follies, Mary Pickford, Fanny Brice and other real characters and situations show up in this romantic mystery. Grace Michelle and her sister Sophia, are orphans taken in by Florenz Ziegfeld, Jr. These two have blossomed under his care, with Sophia developing into a “Star” and Grace as a worker bee in the sewing department. Grace, having similar attractions as her sister, lacks interest in the bright lights and prefers a less
Annie
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Grace in the Wings is the first book in what is ostensibly a new series by Kari Bovée set in 1920's NYC and the California film industry. Released 19th Sept 2019, it's 348 pages and available in paperback and ebook formats.

This is a murder mystery romance with some thriller overtones. It's set in 1920/21 in New York and California and the plot is peppered with real life characters (Flo Ziegfeld, Hedda Hopper, Mary Pickford, etc) who are woven
Paul DiBara
Half the book was well written.

I enjoy a thoughtful, well written, character driven mystery. This is just such a book, until the mid-point after which the characters become one-dimensional and the interesting story transforms into a slug-fest filled with violent confrontations. It ends nicely, unconvincingly so.

Orphans Grace Michelle and her sister Sophia, were rescued as young girls from the streets of New York by Florenz Ziegfeld, famed creator of the Ziegfeld Follies. It was not really from t
Maria
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
- Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review -
“Grace in the Wings – A Grace Mystery”, by Kari Bovee, is a well-written historical mystery with an appealing romantic couple and an interesting cast of characters including some historical figures of the 1920s American film and entertainment industry.
I liked Chet Ryker, a kind-hearted hero with a troubled past, who yet isn’t tarnished by it and is surprisingly level headed. I was expecting a male protagonist affected by war, but
Samantha James
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was actually a lot better than I expected. I really enjoyed the main character because she was innocent and sweet. She was endearing. I could relate with her too because despite her issues with her deceased sister, she loved her and wanted a relationship. My sister reminds me of that character in a lot of ways. I really enjoyed the train ride because it felt like they were really on a train and traveling to California. The authors really gave the setting and characters personality. My ...more
Susan
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
New York 1920 and sisters Sophia and Grace work for Flo Ziegfeld Jr. But Sophia, the star of the show, on marrying, leaves and goes to Los Angles where she is found dead by her husband. Grace needs to know how she dead and heads to L.A. P.I. Chet Ryker, employed by Ziegfeld goes as her bodyguard.
A historical fiction story with romance and just a touch of mystery, not really enough for me. Ryker was a decent hero but I couldn't really take to Grace. Maybe she will improve as the series continues.
Snooty1
A fun mystery set in New York during the fabulous 1920s.
The lives of the rich and famous are shaken when a young starlet is found dead. .
Sweet Grace, sister of the deceased starlet cannot believe that her sister would end her own life; but in proving this Grace finds out that she didn’t know her sister as well as she thought.
There is romance, suspense, some violence and a not so rosy picture of what the film industry was like. Especially for a young woman.
Books Forward
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of historical fiction, this one's for you! Set in the Roaring 20s, Grace in the Wings combines the glamorous life of the city that never sleeps with darker undertones also representative of this decade. My favorite part of this book was watching how Grace, who didn't want the spotlight, learn to deal with classic show business. This is such a great setting for a mystery!
Jenea
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grace and her sister Sophia were living on the streets and they were found by Florenz Ziegfeld, a famous theater mogul, who offered them fame and fortune. What more could they ask for? Then Sophia is found dead and Grace in devastated. It is rumored that her death wasn’t an accident at all, it was murder. Determined to find the truth, Grace finds herself in a position she never imagined with unwanted fame, an egotistical boss, a creepy mob boss, danger and threats against her life. But her new b ...more
Rachel (Life of a Female Bibliophile)
Read even more reviews at: https://www.lifeofafemalebibliophile.com

Set in the 1920s, the story follows Grace Michelle who is an aspiring costume designer and theyounger sister of access Sophia Michelle. Though the two sisters are very close, they couldn’t be more different. Sophia loves the spotlight and being the center of attention while Grace prefers to stay in the background.

When Grace’s sister dies, she is heartbroken and her world is flipped upside down. She is determined to get to bottom
Randee Green
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Grace Michelle and her sister, Sophia, had a very comfortable life working for Florenz Ziegfeld, Jr.’s Ziegfeld Follies. Grace was the costume designer, and Sophia was one of the stars of the show. Not long after Sophia quits the Ziegfeld Follies to get married, she dies unexpectedly, and the police are not sure if her death was an accident, a suicide, or murder. After unwillingly taking over her sister’s part in the show, Grace travels to Los Angeles to promote the Ziegfeld Follies and look int ...more
Angela Amman
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grace in the Wings by Kari Bovée is positioned as the first novel in the Grace Michelle Mystery series, a historical fiction series set in the 1920s. I love immersing myself in the gritty, glitzy glamour of the Roaring Twenties, and Grace in the Wings doesn't disappoint.

Plucked from a life on the streets by the successful, enigmatic Florenz Ziegfeld Jr., of the Ziegfeld Follies, Grace Michelle feels most comfortable backstage. She's content to let her charismatic sister, Sophia, bathe in the sp
Rachel
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the era for this story, I love the time when theater was it, and being a chorus girl could lead to stardom.
I'm not a huge fan of the characters though. Chet Riker is a Private Investigator with a pile of debt to a mobster, and falling into increasingly unscrupulous business tactics to try and pull himself out of the hole. Grace is the sister of recently deceased Follies star Sophia, and finds herself the unwitting pawn of Flo Zeigfeld. Flo has long been her father figure, having taken Gr
Cynthia Boris
Grace in the Wings is a well-written, cozy mystery set in the world of the Ziegfield Follies. I was drawn to it because it's about actors and I love the vintage setting. Other than Funny Girl, I've never read anything written in this era. The story combines fictional characters with real people of the day including the famous Fanny Brice and several Hollywood stars.

All good. . . except. . .I couldn't finish it. I wanted to be pulled into the story but I found myself skipping pages pretty quickl
Courtney
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was really in the mood for a book with a Roaring Twenties setting, and this one definitely delivered! There is a little bit of romance, a lot of mystery, and a damsel in distress. The main character, Grace, is a little naive but she has a backbone and learns to use her voice to assert herself over time. There were times in this book (especially in the beginning) I wondered how someone who lived on the streets for a time still remained so innocent about people and their ulterior motives, though ...more
Karina
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Grace in the Wings by Kari Bovee is an intriguing historical romance novel with some mystery. Grace in the Wings is the first book in the A Grace Michelle Mystery series. I was captivated from the first page until the last. The mystery kept me turning the pages until the wee hours of the night. A very enjoyable read and a great start to a new series. Grace in the Wings is a very well written and researched book. The descriptions are so vivid that you feel and can visualize everything right down ...more
Ann
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book which I won in Kari's "Swag Giveaway". Thank you so much for sending it to me.
This is a work of fiction containing a lot of historical accuracy with Kari's creative flair.
The setting is NYC 1920's. We find that sisters Grace and Sophia were left orphans by the death of their parents in a train crash. They were forced to live on the streets where they were found by Flo Ziegfeld (famous for Ziegfeld Follies).
Sophia mysteriously dies and Chet (PI) is hired by Flo to investigate
Strawberry
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review*

I am obsessed with the Roaring 20s, so naturally I enjoy novels written about and set during this time period. Grace in the Wings does an excellent job of sending you into that era, including staples such as the Ziegfeld Follies, gangsters, and even an appearance by silent screen actress Gloria Swanson. My only complaint is that, while I liked the romantic aspect of the novel, there were a few cliches that ma
Mary
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance reader copy from NetGalley and I'm pleased that I did.

Historical romance/mystery books are not my typical genre but I'm ways willing to try something new. This book didn't let me down, in fact, I read it in a day.

The characters were relatable without being larger than life, which can be a challenge when interweaving real people in a work of fiction.

The story itself moved at a good pace and felt believable, to the point I wanted to find out what happened next.

This was a gre
Trick Wiley
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book and the mystery of who killed Sophie and why and why they are after Grace,it's not like she or her sister has anything special! Always been interested in this time of history with all the Broadway stars and some are mentioned. It's up to you to decide who to trust and who not to!! That's all you will get from me you need to read this good book!! Received from Net Galley!!.
Marissa DeCuir
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grace in the Wings is a highly engaging mystery that I couldn't put down. I loved the main characters, Grace and Chet, and found myself racing through the book to find out how they would solve Sophia's murder and start a new life for themselves. The ending surprised me and tied the plot up so well. This is a fantastic mystery with the perfect amount of romance thrown in!
Ellen Whitfield
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't read a lot of straightforward mysteries anymore, and I really prefer books like these that incorporate a mystery into another genre. In this case, historical fiction. You're immersed in the world of the 1920s, and there's an air of urgency and danger to highlight the mystery. It was so well done!
Tiffany McCall
Book Review
I was sent an eArc of this book by NetGalley in exchange for my thoughts.
I enjoyed this book a lot. I loved the twists & turns, I thought the characters were all done very well & I enjoyed the plot.
However in my opinion the ending was wrapped up too fast & it seemed rushed. It was an easy, fun read & I recommend it if you are in the mood for a light thriller.
Claire Naden
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. The characters were well developed and the story kept my attention wanting to read more. Bovee's descriptions were spot on and placed me right with the characters as if I was watching from the wings.
Irene Kerro
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I loved this book. Since I loved the movie Funny Girl I could relate to the characters in this book. The suspense was very real and it was a page Turner. I think it portrayed the dirty games that were played during the 20's.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Set in 1920, Bovee's mystery takes place in New York City's famous Ziegfeld Follies.
Twenty year old Grace Michelle is a costume designer.
When her sister, Sophia is murdered in Los Angeles, private investigator: Chet Riker is sent with Grace as her bodyguard.
Erin
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good!. It had a great story. I really liked the mixture of real people and made up characters. The descriptions were great. I felt like i was in the 1920's, I hope Ms Bovee continues with this series.
Teresa Zimmerman
A captivating story that had my attention from the start. A terrific book on murder, mystery, scandal, and love. Sometimes who don't know you are capable of doing something till it's the only choice you have. Kari Bovee is a great author! I look forward to reading many more of her books
Shkolnikjx
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book! Really good description of characters and a good storyline. Highly recommended. Kept me guessing.
AMERICAN HISTORIC...: And the winners are . . . 2 15 Oct 10, 2019 07:26PM

• Gospođica
  • The Haunting of Bechdel Mansion (A Riveting Haunted House Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Faithless in Death (In Death, #52)
  • One Dead Cookie (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Brownies & Betrayal (Sweet Bites Mysteries, #1)
  • Three in Death (In Death, #7.5, 12.5, 22.5)
  • Murder in the Evening (Miss Alice #2)
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • Murder by Midnight (Miss Alice #1)
  • No Simple Death (Dublin Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Leave No Stone: A Faith McClellan Novel
  • Julian Fox, The Dream Guardian (Julian Fox, #1)
  • Life on Loan
  • The House of Closed Doors (The House of Closed Doors #1)
  • Chartreux Shock (Marjorie's Cozy Kitten Cafe #2)
  • The Widow of Pale Harbor
  • The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs, #15)
  • Cora's Pride (Wilderness Brides, #1)
Winner of the 2019 Hillerman Southwest Fiction Award.

Empowered women in history, horses, unconventional characters, and real-life historical events fill the pages of award-winning writer Kari Bovee's historical mystery musings and manuscripts.

Born in northern New Mexico, Kari developed a love of reading, writing, and history early in life. Her most treasured Christmas gift as a young child was a t