Start by marking “Best Man” as Want to Read:
Best Man

Best Man

2020 LAMBDA LITERARY AWARD FINALIST - ROMANCE
2020 NEXT GENERATION INDIE BOOK AWARD FINALIST - LGBTQ2

Frank Mercer is a forty-year-old high school math teacher, newly divorced from his husband and struggling to make his mortgage payments. He thinks his problems will be solved by a romance with his old friend Jonathan Butler, a man Frank has secretly admired for over twenty
Published June 1st 2019 by Christopher Delyani

To ask other readers questions about Best Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Man

Start your review of Best Man
Deborah
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s safe to say I struggled with this early on but it wasn’t entirely the books fault. I’d read the blurb and somehow expected a comedy. At no point does it say it’s a comedy so this is all on me.

Frank wants Jonathan. Jonathan is engaged to Marcus. Marcus wants Julio. Julio is Franks lodger. Franks pretends he’s dating Julio. Julio goes along with it. Julio wants Marcus.

So I took from that it was going to be some kind of madcap comedy. I pictured the old Michael J Fox film The Secret of my Su
Lynn (Smile24k)
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-reads
I really enjoyed this book and give it a solid 4 stars. This is a great beach/summer read.

I didn't know what to expect going into this book and I have not read anything else by Chris Delyani. The book was well written and definitely held my interest. It reminded me of chick lit, which I am sure many of us have a love hate relationship with. However, there are times when you need a little "chick lit" type reading. Something that's not too heavy, has a happy ending, and makes you smile. This is c
True Loveislovereview
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, 2019
I’m evil, I know, I just loved the cheating, the manipulation and the lies. This story is nothing I expected and goshh is that a pleasant surprise.

I must say I’m not sure I loved the personalities all the time, but I can say they were all realistic flawed. No sugarcoats and no one is really who they seem to be. The story has a wonderful build up. Bit by bit I got more involved and felt more connected.

It’s not an upbeat read, more a bit depressing, when I was a bit further in this story things ch
Nola Superba
What I liked most of this story was Frank's character.
- in his 40's
- math teacher
- obsessed with his best friend
- divorced because discovered his husband cheating on him
- some insecurities about his physical appearance
- hiding from his roommate "a nice guy as far as I could tell, but he felt like an intruder, a stranger who gave me a rent check".
I would have liked that the story had been told only from Frank's point of view and not from the POV of his roommate Julio too. I really hated Julio
Jennifer Shanahan
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-giveaways
I really liked this book! Kind of basic but a nice story with a good ending:). Frank was a great guy who has some bad things happen to him. He is super-nice, sweet, has a good job, but is just kind of a quiet and shy loner. Frank marries his love, Ethan who eventually cheats on him and they get divorced, leaving Frank lonely and sad in their house alone. Frank has one good long time friend Jonathan who is kind clueless and in a terrible relationship with Marcus who is a total cheating idiot but ...more
Brooklyn
Gah! This book was such a train wreck. It's nothing against the author, but I just really couldn't stand the characters. They were a mess. And the cheating to get revenge! How ridiculous. They were all cowards and jealous little bitches. Even Frank and Jonathan who were supposed to be best friends. What a friendship they had! It was just a mess and I would have put it down except for wanting to provide the honest review. This book was not what I expected and I really did not enjoy the story. :(

T
Shelby
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
While I didn't find myself rooting for a single character in this book, I did find it to be a rather engrossing read. I would definitely give this author another go.
 ☔️ Stormy Day Reader
To read this review on my blog please visit: Stormy Dayz

Please note: This book was provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley to give an honest review. I never go into a lot of detail in my reviews because why would you read the book if I told you everything that happens with my personal bias that you may or may not agree with if you’d have read it yourself?

When I was looking for a book to review a week or so ago this one caught my eye but I decided to review another one first. And so, wh
Kai (CuriousCompass)
4 STARS

Thanks to NetGalley for the review copy!

Best Man was unexpectedly enjoyable. I spent the first half of the book thinking I would rate it three stars; it was light and endearing enough, but the characters felt oddly formal and I wasn't banking on much from the opening. But the book subverted my expectations by far and I ended up falling in love with it. I'm in a total book hangover right now, that last chapter alone left me dazed...and grinning like an idiot, pumping my fists in the air an
A.L. Miller
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
so this book was slow going at first and all the characters in this book had issues and there was so much drama and all of a sudden I saw myself unable to put it down. I just had to know how it ended because everytime I thought I knew what was going to happen, I was wrong. The two main characters took forever to see what was right in front of them all along and other people seemed to keep standing in the way. Frank was a good guy but he was always falling for the wrong person it seems and he was ...more
Marianne
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there's something about Chris Delayani's 'Best Man' that sets it apart from the rest is that his characters in this story no only so very different, but they were surprisingly realistic? Especially in their flaws and their emotions. I say this because, there's characters I read that annoy me to the point where I just stop reading the story altogether because the ending is obvious and then there's annoying to the point where I really want to finish the story so I can find out what happens in t ...more
BOOKarina (Karina)
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Welcome to this book review,
disclaimer : I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

This book was a surprise, I wanted to read a cute wedding setting love story and am always on the hunt for those diverse stories stepping into this "classic" summer contemporary trope.
I was expecting a sort of comedy surrounding two people who never realized they were made for each other, but rather found a profound and somehow, unfortunately, condusing.
There where instances when characters ma
Amy Dufera
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is tough to describe Best Man by Chris Delyani. It isn't the best book ever, since all the men are flawed, and not very likable. But damn it, I couldn't put it down. For that, I am giving it 4 stars.

This tale involves best friends, roommates, and some serious cheating. There's an open relationship, where only one man tends to stray, and stray often he does.

In short, Frank's in love with his friend Jonathon, who happens to be engaged to Marcus. To save face, Frank pretends to be dating his bo
Eileen Granfors
The delightful Chris Delyani presents BEST MAN, a comedy of manners interwoven with an introspective and serious motif of the possibility of change.

Instead of Bob and Carol Ted and Alice (of 1970s fame), we have Jonathan and Marcus, Julio and Frank. Their daily lives are fraught with the upside of work and the downside of romance. When Jonathan and Marcus announce their upcoming nuptials, Frank goes into a tailspin. He has loved Jonathan for years. But he is recovering from a traumatic divorce.
Hannah
More LGTBQ+ than the slash fic I often read. This is a serious, often bittersweet romantic novel from the point of view of Frank, a man who has never got over a romantic attachment for a friend and Julio, who is Frank's housemate since he divorced. Poor Frank is in a rather woeful state, locking himself up in his house avoiding Julio, so he is thrown into confusion when Jonathan turns up in his life again planning a wedding to his evil boyfriend Marcus who utterly hates Frank. Julio on the other ...more
Jackie
Jul 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Don't be fooled by the cover. This well written but pretty depressing "romance" is hardly a romance at all. A recently divorced white gay math teacher pines not for his ex, but for his best friend, whom he's wanted for 20+ years, and whom he wants to save from the man's overbearing lover. Being asked instead to be the best man at their wedding is not the announcement he'd been hoping for.

The other POV is that of a Latino yoga instructor who becomes the first man's roommate. Though the dual point
Suze
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
So whilst none of these guys - Frank, Julio, Marcus, Jonathon - are particularly likeable, their actions are bizarre and highly questionable - but I can see it happening IRL.
Frank - doesn’t like to let go a grudge at all, be it Jonathon, Marcus or the ex husband. He annoyed me with his poor me in the first half of the book - 40 going on 14. He then did get himself pulled together and became a better person.
Julio - well, why knowing what he did did he do what he did? V immature and the modern
Yoshi
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I have been writing for this book since a couple of years. I am so happy that the book was published after such a long wait. I really love the writing style by Mr. Delyani.

I know what I am getting myself into after reading the blurb, it's a story of a complicated relationship with 4 men. I enjoyed the read but I must say that it's the very first time that I don't like any of the characters at all. In my opinion, they are unlikeable and have flaws in different degrees. I am pleased that the endi
Jeff
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the characters. At times the story gets a little dark and it's much more developed than the comic romp I had expected. Sometimes it borders on believable but never gets too far out of hand. This is intended as a more realistic take than a farce, as the title and synopsis might suggest. I just never found the moment when the 'chemistry' developed between Frank and Julio. Best Man is a bit of a different take on this M/M Romance scenario. Overall, enjoyable reading.

I received a co
Jess
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A literary work of art that explores the complexity of relationships. This book is not all rosey sweet romance, instead it delves into the messy landscape of manipulation, jealousy, cheating, angst, emotional abuse, and finding out that honesty and dependability is sexier than a hot body.

Don't let me dissuade you from buying this gorgeous book, it's written in such a beautiful way that I stayed up into the middle of the night because I had to know what the ending was like.

One of my fave books i
Angelique
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not what I thought to have a good time reading.
The cover,looks to me like a light,comdy romance.
Butt that is not the story say the least.
It took me a lott off time to read it.
I did not enjoyed it,I do see that the author is talented.
I did simply not enjoyed the way the story goes,Friends do not
tread each other like that.other wise you`re better off as enemies.
so 2 stars.

ARC provided by netgalley
Orla
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They say nothing good comes of lies....

... well, the writer delivers a HEA that cheerfully debunks that. Four not-so-perfect guys plot and fumble their way into and out of relationship trouble. It's a modern day comedy of manners, really well thought out and delivered, with every trope: in love with best friend, pretend boyfriend, cheating partners, absence and reconciliation. This is a great book.
Aleardo Zanghellini
Unashamedly romantic but intelligently so, with a plot arc that, given the genre, is not predictable. The writing is very competent, with characters that are three-dimensional, flawed but capable of higher feelings, and complex enough to make this book vastly better than run-of-the-mill romances. The happy ending (its concluding paragraph, to be exact) is a bit exaggerated/sentimental.
Matthew Galloway
Aug 11, 2019 marked it as dnf
Nothing wrong with the quality of the book. Just the set up -- got about a third of the way through -- was making me really sad because of life experiences I guess. So I'm putting it down for now, at least.
Elizabeth Gregg
Aug 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
I just.could not get into this book. The writing style was not for me. I really loved the concept but I had to DNF
Lisa
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Frank and Julio seem like the most unlikely of matches. Julio rents a room in Frank's house and they pretty much don't speak to one another. But a little white lie snowballs and these two are vying for the affections of two men who are engaged!

I wish that chapters were labeled by whose point of view they were in. Also, for awhile I had a hard time liking anyone enough to root for them. The last few chapters made all the difference to me. I finally got to see a more genuine connection. I would ha
Mike
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It pains me to not recommend this book.

I really liked Delyani's previous books, so much so that I regularly checked Amazon to find out when this book was going to be published. What did I get? Unlikeable characters in pretty cliched situations. Dang.
Charlotte
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
When I read the description for this book, I wasn’t sure what I was getting into. Let me start with the basics.

Frank is recovering… sort of… from his divorce from husband, Ethan. He and Ethan were married for years and then Ethan cheated on him. As if that wasn’t enough, Frank came home and found Ethan and his new husband in bed.

Frank has kept the house he and Ethan shared and manages to pay the bills with the help of his yoga teacher/massage therapist roommate, Julio.

When Frank’s oldest friend
Shauna
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought I knew how the book would play out based on the synopsis but the actual story was so much better than I had hoped. The characters were so well written and believably complex and messy that I kept cycling between wanting to shake, hug, and throat punch them. I went back and forth several times on who I wanted to end up together and at one point just wanted them all to be single and start fresh. At various times they were all villains and victims but in the end everyone's true colors wer ...more
Elaine Gray
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book! Frank is a sweet guy who was married to someone who cheated on him. Frank is love with his best friend Jonathan, who is married to Marcus, but Frank and Marcus don’t see eye to eye. Julio is a yoga instructor and Frank rents out a room to him. Frank finds out that Jonathan is engaged and Frank lies about his relationship with his roommate. I don’t want to go into detail because I might give the rest of the story away. There is angst, cheating, deception, romance, friends ...more

• Digging Deep (Digging Deep, #1)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
  • Kiss Me Again
  • So Into You (The PI Guys, #2)
  • A Gentleman Tutor
  • The Mortal Sleep (Hollow Folk, #4)
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)
  • Love and Linguistics (Movie Magic Romances, #2)
  • The Monuments Men Murders (The Art of Murder #4)
  • Secret at Skull House (Secrets and Scrabble #2)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Angels Sing (Daddy Dearest, #2)
  • Footsteps in the Dark
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Just Like That (Albin Academy, #1)
  • Smoke in the Mirror (Road to Blissville, #5)
  • Unscripted Love (Road to Blissville, #1)
In 1993 I moved to San Francisco to devote myself to fiction and have been at it ever since. I'm now the author of three novels: The Love Thing (2009), You Are Here (2012), and Best Man (2019). In 2013 You Are Here won a Writer's Digest Self-Published Book Award for General Fiction. Best Man has just been announced as a finalist for a 2020 Lambda Literary Award in the Romance category.

You can fin