Start by marking “King Of Flames (The Masks of Under #1)” as Want to Read:
King Of Flames (The Masks of Under #1)

King Of Flames

(The Masks of Under #1)

Everything about my life has been pretty normal working as a forensic autopsy technician. Until the day I woke up with a mysterious symbol tattooed on my arm.

Suddenly normal no longer existed. The barrier between Earth and a world called Under, dissolved...

Now I’m trapped with dozens of other people. Held prisoner by the creators of myths and legends, where the realm is
Published March 5th 2019 by Limitless Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about King Of Flames, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Of Flames

Eve (Between The Bookends)
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description
descriptionSo this book was a little outside of the normal genre I tend to read, but I like to step out of my box once in a while. Kathryn Ann Kingsley was also a new "to me" author, so combine those two and I wasn't really sure what to expect. However, I lucked out because CHRIST ON A CRACKER it blew me away with how fantastic this book turned out to be. The writing was phenomenal. It was well paced. The plot was SO very engaging. The world building excellent. It had a bit of a steam punk feel to it which
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)

thumbnail_King of Flames Banner

Wow just wow!!
I read a lot and King Of Flames (The Masks of Under Book 1) most certainly stood out from the crowd in terms of content and uniqueness, in fact, I would go as far as to say that this was my stand out read for this year it was just that good folks.
This absolutely knocked my socks off and I am now gagging for the next fascinating instalment to hit my kindle and I so need it like now.
So yeh My first read by this author but I am now most definitely a new fan of this talented writer's f
Deborah
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*

Re-read 13th - 15th June 2019.

With the release of books 3 and 4 (out in 4 days) I decided to do a re-read. I have to say I enjoyed this more the second time. I appreciated the writing and the amazing world that’s been created so much more.
I still think it was wrong to cut the first book and end it like it does. I nearly didn’t continue on to the second book. And that would have been a huge mistake on my part.

If you’ve read this and you’re wondering if it’s worth continuing on. It is. Take m
Annika
description

Oh. My. God.
That was freaking spectacular!

I do not trust books by new authors I've never heard about that have such high ratings, such glowing reviews, but I can tell you that every single one of those 5 star ratings is completely deserved.

This story follows our heroine, Lydia, an ordinary young woman who one day wakes up with a strange symbol tattooed on her forearm. From then on, everything seems to get out of hand as monsters start showing up, chasing her around, and finally whisk her away to
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
My first book by the author and I had a blast.

If you are looking for a sensible heroine, search no further Lydia is the answer. I absolutely loved her. She was so believable, I connected with her.

The writing was good. even though there was not enough information for me to know what is going on it was still a very interesting book.

There is no romance in this book but I really hope the next one brings a little bit of it. I'd like Lydia to mess up (view spoiler) head a little
Kate's Corner
Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore.

I have read a lot of fantasy, urban fantasy and paranormal romance in my life some has been fantastic, others have been bloody awful, and King of Flames is somewhere in the middle for me or upper scale.

I didn’t know what to expect and it was difficult to get into the book at the beginning, but this book is unique, and with the author’s idea she has truly put her book in a league of her own. I find her writing similar to (view spoiler)
Christa
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s a bad day for Lydia when she wakes up with a tattoo she doesn’t remember getting and then the cadaver she was working on comes back to life and attacks her.

She’s rightfully spooked.

After defending herself and running away, and shooting a second attacker point blank in the head, she is captured and taken to the land of Under.

Under is a dying place, where Earth intersects with it every few years, and the people of under claim (kidnap) their new citizens from earth.

There’s a ceremony, and
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lydia wakes up one morning with a strange tattoo. Later that day, what appears to be a vampire attacks her at work, only to be followed up in the evening by a warrior clad in armor trying to kidnap her. Lydia discovers that the tattoo means that she has been chosen to join the population of Under, only her initiation doesn't quite go to plan.

It took me a little while to get into this book, which was strange because it is action packed from the start. I think the problem was that there was a lot
Queen Cronut
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a surprisingly really good book- I was hooked from the first few pages.

The plot was engaging and I appreciated well-paced scenes that kept me interested. The worldbuilding was fantastic- complex but easy to understand so that you aren't hung over on minute details. The fantasy aspect was well written and was well developed.

I loved the protagonist, Lydia, a forensic autopsy technician with an introverted life being thrust in the magical world of Under. She was the perfect combination o
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
Addictively terrifying

I’m slapping a 5 on this. Kingsley truly deserves recognition.

When a dead man says, “Don’t run” what do you do? RUN! Image result for terminator 2 run

Not only did this book give me the creepers it scared the snot out of me. Kingsley has created a mind-blowing world. A unique, horror world filled with nightmare creatures.

It starts off with adrenaline pumping, running for your life. Once the story gets to Under that’s where Kingsley is in her element and the story takes on a whole new life. So add

Stephaniec
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The beginning was a bit slow and it was a bit short - this being the first book in the series it could have used a few more pages. A little more on the characters and world would have helped flesh everything out but I enjoyed the h she was strong without being stupid and handled her circumstances well (very relatable)
Will move on to book 2
Tiera McMillian
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: july2019
3.5 stars. This was a super interesting start to the series. I'm thoroughly intrigued by everything here. I almost went ahead and rounded up to four stars because I felt like the author did an amazingly creative job building this world. We have an entirely new concept here and yet I didn't ever feel like I was getting fact dumped on really. Eerie is the best way to describe the feel of what we have so far in book 1. I think the world building, while currently still ongoing, is being done really ...more
Rhiannon Chillingworth
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting and rather unique book. My main gripes are that it was slightly disjointed and felt more like a prequel, but the world and characets have huge potential to be awesome.

Off to read the second one...
Tammy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
King of Flames is an introduction to the world called Under and the beginning of Lydia's journey as our MC. Fun plot, interesting characters, and an interesting world building made the book entertaining. I'm giving 3.9 stars because while the writing was solid there were many times the details and pieces of information were redundant due to the author's attempt to explain and visualize as much as possible about the complication and uniqueness of Under. I admitted Ibskim several times toward the ...more
Natalia
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5 ★
This book is written in 3th person and normally it's not my jam, but I kept reading! Maybe that little thing didn't let me enjoy the book in his fullest!
First thing first: The spoiler of the characters in the beginning… In my opinion that makes the reader lazy! The Explanation about the house I get it and it was useful!
For me, the first 45%-60% were a struggle!
The pace was slow, to much detail that added nothing to the story (all the fuss and detail about being interrogated by the police
Jypsy
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
King of Flames is an okay read. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. It's an interesting and unique fantasy story, but I didn't connect with it enough to care what happened in the end. Maybe just not my type of story. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Danielle
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The undead. Other worlds. Fate determined by the Ancients. And two rival kings of immense power. When Lydia wakes up one morning with a strange tattoo on her forearm, she soon learns that the mark is the least of her problems.

Oh boy where do I start? King of Flames was a gritty, mysterious, action-packed adventure right from page one. Kingsley definitely mastered the dark fantasy genre in a variety of ways. For starters, Lydia worked in a morgue. I loved how she was written with a sense of humor
Louise
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/4 stars

It's been a long time since I've had to squint at an entire scene in a book.
A long, long time.
And I've read some weird, gross, super-detailed violent shit in my time.
But King of Flames just had to go "there".
Had to force my very visual brain to endure at least three pages of home self-surgery.
...
I audibly retched.
...
A lot.

It's a running joke in my family that they find it fucking bizarre that I will happily watch any number of supernatural gore-fests and not even flinch.
Rip someone's
Umaiya ❄️Ramblings of a Scattered Mind❄️

I think pretty much anyone who has read this will probably tell you the same thing and that's "this was our first book by the author and Boy! were we not expecting that!"

I loved how unique the world building was and I hated how short the book was.
Less than two hundred pages for a fantasy?
That barely works in contemporary romances but is downright criminal in fantasy.

I feel like nothing happened and the book ended. Now luckily for me, I had the next book in hand so it was a pretty smooth and pain
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

Lydia is your typical forensic autopsy technician until one day she wakes up with a surprise tattoo. You know her life is about to take a drastic turn. She is drawn to the world of Under where two kings (you know this is about to be good) rule.

I really enjoyed the unique blending of genres. Suspense, sci-fi, and a bit of steampunk fantasy blended together, and you get this amazing read. I really liked the fact that Lydia is a strong female character. She didn’t lose her edge at al
Jessica Robbins
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour, own-kindle

What a great start to a new fantasy series. Our MC works with the dead all day with things going fine until she wakes up with a tattoo she has no memory of getting. This is just the start to what turns out to be one crazy day that never seems to end. That is some fantastic world building going on that is just full of surprise that you cannot guess. Just when you think you have it figured out we get a who
Emily
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book completely and utterly surprised me and really opened my eyes to genres I never thought would be my ‘thing’. Kathryn’s way of writing is incredible on so many levels and totally captured me. The ending was maybe a little too exciting and shocking! Really looking forward to reading book two. Everyone should read this one! I wrote a more detailed review over on my blog: https://aquintillionwords.com/2019/04...
Scarolet Ellis
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
King Of Flames by Kathryn Ann Kingsley is a wonderful story that I have read by a brand new author to me. This is book number one in this wonderful start to a brand new series. I highly recommend this story to everyone who wants to read about magic.

Teri Ruscak
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
King Of Flames
Kathryn Ann Kingsley
A very unique start to a series!
I loved the characters, and the plot just pulls you in!

Coco.V
May 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (5/17/2019)! 🎁
Heather Gilbert
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Twisted! 4.5 rounded up.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from the blurb, but it wasn’t this gem that fell into my kindle! This is an urban fantasy delight, filled with danger, mystery and enough world building to whet your appetite for book 2. Lydia (when was the last time you saw a FMC with such a name??) is awesome, a but foolish and so very human she makes your soul bleed. Edu, on the other hand.... is not. It’s confusing, enticing and rather epic in scope. Love.

Pros:
- Lydia is brave witho
A Klue
This will have to be quick, folks, since I normally don't take or have the time to write a detailed non-ARC book review. Just know I absolutely LOVED this sassy, feisty type heroine! She's the reason I want to keep reading. She was hilarious, even when she was genuinely scared out of her mind. I only dabble in fantasy paranormal on occasion, but this one definitely had me glad I read part 1 of this series.

Since it ends in a cliffhanger, a lot has yet to be resolved. I have an inkling now who Ly
Michelle Chantler
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, finished
The King of Flames.
By Kathryn Ann Kingsley.

This is the first time I have ever read anything by this particular Author, and I have to say that this certainly will not be the last.
Its been a long time since I have been engrossed so much by the creative process of an Author and this novel caught me completely by surprise, simply by the total diversity within her descriptive narration and how beautifully Ms Kingsley has developed a world with such tenacity and unique qualities.
Lydia who is this stor
Rina The Book Devourer
I only have one question: dear author, can you please upload your brain onto the internet so it can be turned into an algorithm that automatically produces many of these kinds of books at once? Thanks. I only need, like, a lifetime supply.
Anyway, let's get to reviewing this book, boys.
The first thing that really stands out is the main character, Lydia. Despite my initial impression being her name makes her sound like a 62 year old whose predominant hobbies include crocheting and yelling at neig
Katherine Paschal
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**Review at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/

When Lydia wakes up and discovers a tattoo of a strange symbol inked on her arm she is baffled by the mark and has no idea where it came from. Trying to go about her business and not dwell on the oddness of it, she goes to work only to have the corpse she is performing an autopsy on come to life and try to attack her. To make matters worse, her best friend also has a mysterious symbol tattooed on him and now a VERY large man in full armor is stalk
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kat has always been a storyteller.

With ten years in script-writing for performances on both the stage and for tourism, she has always been writing in one form or another. When she isn’t penning down fiction, she works as Creative Director for a company that designs and builds large-scale interactive adventure games. There, she is the lead concept designer, handling everything from game and set des

The Masks of Under (6 books)
  • King Of Shadows (The Masks of Under #2)
  • Queen of Dreams (The Masks of Under #3)
  • King of Blood (The Masks of Under #4)
  • King of None (The Masks of Under #5)
  • Queen of All (The Masks of Under #6)