Jump to ratings and reviews

Family Skeleton Mystery #6

The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking

"Mirth and murder blend beautifully" in this tale of an amateur sleuth and her bony best friend (Publishers Weekly, starred review).

Dr. Georgia Thackery is back home with her parents after finding a new adjunct position at Bostock College. Everyone is excited for their first family Christmas with nothing to hide. Why? Because Georgia's daughter Madison is now in the know about Sid, their walking, talking family skeleton.

But their Christmas cheer is interrupted when the Thackerys' dog Byron goes missing on a cold December night. When he's finally found, he has a femur clutched between his jaws--and Georgia and Madison race to apologize to Sid for letting the dog gnaw on him yet again. Except that all of Sid's bones are present and accounted for...

This bone is from somebody else, and when they trace Byron's trail to an overgrown lot nearby, they find the rest of the skeleton. It's the normal kind, not moving or telling jokes, and when the police come to take charge, they're sure it was murder, and one of Georgia's adjunct friends could be implicated. With tensions stirring at the college and everyone hiding a secret or two, Sid and Georgia must uncover the truth before the ghost of a Christmas past strikes again.

"Amateur sleuth Georgia, and her sidekick, Sid, are just plain fun!"--Sofie Kelly, New York Times-bestselling author of the Magical Cats Mysteries

280 pages, Paperback

First published September 24, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Leigh Perry

9 books445 followers
Pen name of Toni L.P. Kelner .

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 131 reviews
Profile Image for James.
Author 17 books3,482 followers
July 24, 2020
The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking is the 6th book in the 'Family Skeleton' mystery series and was written in 2019 by Leigh Perry. I've previously read and reviewed all the books in the series, and this one is definitely my favorite thus far. It seems each newly published tale is better than the last one. Before you read them, you need to know a few things to truly embrace the series.

Georgia is ~40ish adjunct English professor in New England. Her parents are both full-time professors at a different college, and she has a sister, Deborah, and a teenage daughter, Madison. There is also one other key person in Georgia's life: Sid, a walking, talking skeleton. Now that you've picked your teeth off the floor and/or closed your mouth, stay focused! This series might have its roots in a bit of paranormal fun, but it's heart and soul is truly realistic and wonderful. Few people know about Sid, so he's more like a computer who can secretly interact with others to help George solve murders in her spare time. In this case, Madison's dog brings home a bone. Georgia thinks it's part of Sid, as the dog likes to bite the skeleton, but it's not. From there, the entire family gets involved in solving this murder, including Georgia's on-again/off-again boyfriend, Brownie, a carnie she came to know in an earlier book.

First off, the series has some of the best humor. When you have a dog and a skeleton, the trouble is endless. Toss in a few murders, and Georgia needs to be on her toes 24/7. She always is, but every once in a while, she slips up... and watching her back herself out of the situation is hilarious. Her colleague Charles is a main focus in this case, as he knew the person who likely belongs to the skeleton. Ten years ago, the two had been courting... and that's all I'll say, as I'm not a spoiler. Perry's last few books in the series have been the kind you can't put down. I tried to just read an hour's worth, but I finished it all in a single setting. You breeze through them in a good way. They're the perfect length and have a fine balance of complexity and levity.

I'm rarely a science-fiction or fantasy reader, but this series is one I won't miss. I jumped on the chance to get an early copy of this book when I saw it was available on NetGalley. I wanted to save it until Christmas, since the book has a holiday theme, but I couldn't last... I succumbed to the taunting as the lovable skeleton called to me every single time I opened Kindle. "READ ME" Sid said... so I did. And it's fantastic. Clever and witty, full of heart and soul. It weaves back and forth seamlessly from Georgia's personal life to Sid's quest to be as real as he can possibly be to investigating the prime murder case. Georgia is beyond methodical, and I believe she can solve the case each time.

The conclusion is fierce... both in the mystery and in Georgia's personal life. I pushed through about ~30 pages so quickly once the killer was revealed and the big-time chase scene got underway. It was a great ending, and I love the last two pages. I didn't expect it to happen, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it yet, but it was thoroughly shocking in a good way. Can I please have the next one for Christmas in my stocking, Sid... this year? Thanks!
Profile Image for Juli.
1,844 reviews471 followers
September 22, 2019
Georgia is an adjunct English professor with a secret. She has a skeleton in her closet....literally. Her buddy Sid is a skeleton. He walks. He talks. He gets into mischief. And he's been her best friend since childhood. Georgia keeps her bony best buddy a secret from everyone outside her family. Other people might be more than a bit freaked out by a living skeleton, no matter how sweet and funny he is.

It's the holiday season and Georgia's family has gathered for Christmas Things are great....until Byron the Dog gets loose. When the dog comes back, he is carrying a femur in his mouth. And Sid isn't missing one..... In fact, the rest of the skeleton is in a nearby vacant lot. Sid & Georgia are on the case to clear this cold case before one of her coworkers goes down for murder.

I love this series! Sid is awesome....and the humor just makes this such a fun series to read! The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking is the sixth book in this series, and I have to say my favorite one so far! This series seems to get better with each book.... Some nice character development in this book. The mystery is engaging and moves at a nice pace. There are plenty of suspects and twists in the story. It definitely kept my attention the entire time.

I'm definitely eagerly awaiting the next book in this series! Always an entertaining read!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Diversion Books via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**
Profile Image for Mark Baker.
2,016 reviews141 followers
September 27, 2019
When Dr. Georgia Thackery’s dog, Byron, gets out one afternoon, and when she and her daughter Madison find him again, he is clutching a bone. Naturally, the two assume it is part of Sid, and they race home to apologize to their friend. However, all of Sid’s bones are present and accounted for, so they get the police involved. It turns out that Byron has found part of a normal skeleton (you know, not walking and talking), and the police are able to determine that the skeleton was murdered. The police have no leads on who the skeleton might have been in life, but Georgia’s friend and fellow adjunct, Charles, approaches her. He thinks he might know the victim, but the only way to give the police that information might lead the police directly to Charles. And so Georgia jumps into action again, with Sid doing his best to research the case on the internet. Was the victim Charles’s friend? If so, who killed her?

If you are new to the series, you might be a bit lost. You see, Sid is a walking, talking skeleton and Georgia’s best friend. That’s the only paranormal element to the series, and it is done is a realistic manner, which makes it feel very natural. The characters, including Sid, are very strong, which certainly helps make it all seem real. The plot, while not a traditional cozy mystery plot, is very strong with plenty of twists and surprises along the way to the climax. In fact, I liked the fact that it was something different plot wise, and it certainly kept me engaged the entire time. I did think that Christmas aspect could have been stronger, but that’s my only complaint and a very small one at that. As a lover of puns, I absolutely loved the puns and other humor in the book. If you are just now meeting Sid, you are in for a treat. If you are already a fan, you’ll love this newest visit with him.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Profile Image for Nancy Bradford.
239 reviews9 followers
November 8, 2019
What a great book. I know I have not read all the books in this series but this is great. Loved it.
Profile Image for LORI CASWELL.
2,352 reviews268 followers
October 26, 2019
Dollycas’s Thoughts

We meet many wonderful characters in most of the books we read, and in cozy mysteries, we meet their canine, feline and bovine friends too. But hands down Sid is my favorite character of all. This smart, savvy, witty, wonderful skeleton stole my heart back in book #1 – A Skeleton in the Family. Sid is a walking – talking – dancing skeleton that is Dr. Georgia Thackery’s best friend. Sid’s phalanges fly over the computer keyboard in his attic room, where he does his research to help Georgia solve murder mysteries. He is also quite portable in a special bag where he can stealthy see what is happening and text on his cell phone faster than I will ever be able to do with one hand. It is also not unheard of for him to don a disguise or two to help Georgia out. Sid is a character I will never forget and wish I had a Sid of my own.

This time Georgia is working at Bostock College and living with her daughter back at home with her parents. Christmas is right around the corner and it should be merry because the family is back together. But when the family dog, Byron brings home a prize bone that turns out to be a human femur (that does not belong to Sid) the merriment hits a bump in the road. Bryon becomes the star of the hour and they follow his trail to find the rest of the body. A body that may have ties to Bostock College. Hoping to wrap the case up before Christmas, Sid and Georgia use all their talents to catch a killer.

Georgia Thackery who I believe is in her early 40’s is an adjunct English professor so she goes where the job is around the New England area. Her parents are tenured professors at the local college and you can usually find a student or two at their dinner table. Georgia’s sister Deborah is a security expert and can open almost every lock. Georgia also has a teenage daughter, Madison. Sid has been a part of this household for years and is the family’s secret.

The mystery starts when the body that is found but then twists and turns with connections between the present and the past. I felt the story was very unique and was totally delighted to go along for the ride. I had completely escaped into the story excited for the big killer reveal which was great but that was surpassed by a whiplash-like twist Ms. Perry throws at us at the end. Nicely played Ms. Perry! Nicely played.

As you can imagine with a skeleton being a lead character, this story is full of humor. Readers will experience tittering, giggling, a chortle or two, and even laugh out loud moments. Ms. Perry also adds a little romance to Georgia’s life with a former character returning too. The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking excels at everything I look for in a cozy mystery.

“Oh, my spine and femur!” This is such a fantastic book! Leigh Perry has penned a marvelous cozy mystery. With winter/Christmas as a background, readers get to follow Georgia and Sid ever step of the way. This book is classified as a paranormal or supernatural cozy mystery. I really don’t think of it that way. For me Sid just is Sid, nothing spooky or supernatural about it 🙂 Coccyx, You just have to read it! Read the whole series!! You will come to love Sid as much as I do!

This book will be on my Best Reads of 2019 list!
Profile Image for Dawn Michelle.
2,255 reviews
September 19, 2019
When I first saw that there was [hallelujah] was going to be another Sid book, I was so excited I immediately texted my friend [who also reads and loves Sid and who's daughter is the one who shoved these at us and said "WE need to read these NOW"] and while I was doing that, I found that [at first] these were only going to be in paperback and so the texting became crying which was relieved by her telling me that she would read the whole book to me so I wouldn't have to miss out on Sid and Co.

Fast forward and they also were releasing it on the kindle and then it became available on NetGalley and here we are. At the end of another EXCELLENT book that features Georgia [an adjunct professor] and her unlikely companion - a fully animated skeleton named Sid. Georgia is finally back home in Pennycross and the whole gang is here [Gosh I missed Deborah {Georgia's hilarious and acerbic sister} sarcasm and hilarity] and it was just like going home. Even Georgia's adjunct friend Charles is here and he plays a key role in the whole story.

This is a great mystery - I was pretty clueless throughout most of it [which is a great sign of a great writer, which I will say here, Leigh Perry is] and the whole reveal was WOW. And the end of the book did make me a bit verklempt. OK, it made me a lot verklempt. ;-) And again I am in awe of reading a story about an animated skeleton and not thinking it is weird at all.

I highly recommend this [and all the others - you need to read them from the beginning; these are NOT stand alone or "start in the middle" kind of books]book. You will not be sorry.

Thank you to NetGalley and Diverson Books for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Peggy R.
1,012 reviews64 followers
September 13, 2019
This is my favorite book in the series to date. This series has everything I look for when reading and continuing with a cozy mystery series. The characters are rich, well developed and very likable. Georgia and Sid had a terrific relationship that continues to grow as her life and the people in it expand. The dialogue has plenty of wit and humor and a steady pace that kept me turning pages. This is a holiday story and both Sid and Georgia get a wonderful holiday gift. I like how the author has incorporated the secondary characters including Charles, Brownie and his parents.

The mystery was well done and it had me guessing through the entire story. There are plenty of twists and turns throughout that kept me stumped, especially the twist Ms. Perry throws in at the end of the story.

I find this to be a highly entertaining series and I will be back for as long as the author continues to write stories about these characters.

I voluntarily read a digital ARC provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley.
Profile Image for Kevin.
1,427 reviews35 followers
January 19, 2020
4 ½ stars
I’m not sure why but I’d always assumed that Charles was gay, but we find out

It’s impossible for me to dislike a book that makes reference to Twisted Sister - Deck the Halls

and has dialog like

His eye sockets got as big as an anime character’s. “I am a total bonehead. I never thought of that.” He jumped up and clattered to his desk. “I’m on it!”

This is fast becoming my favorite series of books ever, I just hope that Ms. Perry is hard at work on Georgia, Sid, Madison’s next adventure.

Cozies Reading Challenge
Profile Image for Bookishrealm.
1,781 reviews4,498 followers
October 14, 2019
Update! Here's my full review: https://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot....

I received this book for review but all thoughts all my own.

This was a difficult one for me to rate because I loved the characters and the plot but the romance was not on point. I don’t think that two of the main characters could have logically fallen in love considering the circumstances so I could only give this book four stars. I lovedddd the idea that a skeleton was a main character and played such a integral role in figuring out the murder mystery. This is definitely a series that you don’t need to read in order. This is the first one that I’ve read in the entire series. I definitely want to go back and read the others. I was definitely surprised by the murderer. I had no idea that the individual would even be tied to the murder at all which means that the author kept me guessing. I’ll be doing a full review of this one so definitely keep an eye out for my update.
Profile Image for Joy.
627 reviews
September 22, 2019
Sid and Georgia just keep getting better and better. The whole gang is together for Christmas, and they even have a few guests. The mystery in the middle of the festivities is handled with a deft hand so that a reader is genuinely engaged in the outcome and is ready to come home for a holiday celebration with all the trimmings. I hope this series continues for a very long time: it’s one of the best!
Profile Image for Xanthi.
1,372 reviews12 followers
September 30, 2022
I listened to this on audiobook format.
I really enjoyed this one, mostly due to the humour and Sid. But I also liked that the protagonist’s on/off boyfriend was back.
There was one really corny bit but it was forgivable.
Pity this seems to be the last book in the series. It was published several years ago so I’m not holding my breath for a new instalment- but who knows?
Profile Image for Lisa Morin.
1,652 reviews44 followers
July 27, 2019
Sid is back in The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking by Leigh Perry.
In this holiday novel, Sid and Georgia are at it again, solving a mystery that is sure to keep you guessing until the end.
This time, Georgia includes her dear friend Charles in the investigation, as well as Brownie, a potential love interest.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for approving me to read this book.
Profile Image for The Kawaii Slartibartfast.
884 reviews20 followers
June 25, 2022
I received this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
My wish was granted.

This book was an absolute delight. The characters are charming and believable (yes, even the ambulatory skeleton) The mystery was solid and make st importantly it was a blast to read.
Profile Image for The Cozy Review.
499 reviews31 followers
September 12, 2019
Series: A Family Skeleton Mystery – Book 6
Author: Leigh Perry
Genre: Cozy Mystery/ Holiday/ Paranormal
Publisher: Diversion Books
Page Count: 280

Publishing Date: September 24, 2019

From Diversion Books comes a new holiday cozy, The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking, the 6th in the “A Family Skeleton Mystery” cozy series by author Leigh Perry. A new murder is causing Georgia stress, and Sid does his best to come to the rescue. With holiday cheer and a great deal of entertainment. The latest book in this series will leave readers gleefully mesmerized.

Georgia is used to Sid, the skeleton that lives with her family, and she loves him immensely. But even she gets frustrated with him sometimes. With a new murder to solve, which is actually old, she has her hands full. Sid can make life challenging, and during the holidays, he is in top form. To top it off, Georgia is worried that her love life may suffer unless she brings Sid out of the closet.

This is a wonderful series with main characters that leave readers chuckling and a wishfulness that only the holidays can bring. Georgia, Madison, her family, and friends, as well as Sid, are loveable, well-written and endlessly engaging. The plot in The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking is exceptionally original. Having a skeleton who can walk around and talk is definitely a unique character in cozies, and even more so in an x-mas holiday cozy. Most of the time skeletons only pop up in Halloween books or as corpses. It is refreshing to have one in a Christmas book.

Sid and Georgia will delight readers of all ages and types. It will be difficult to see Sid as anything other than a living breathing person (well… not truly breathing, but you get the idea) with emotions and concerns of a distinct skeleton kind. Readers will lose themselves between the pages of this holiday cozy and will find that they can’t wait for the Christmas festivities to start. Maybe they will see if there are any skeletons in their attics waiting to be seen and heard.

I truly enjoyed this holiday cozy and can’t wait for the next addition to this series. I am thrilled to recommend this book along with the entire series to cozy readers everywhere.
Profile Image for Kristina.
3,358 reviews60 followers
December 21, 2019
The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking by Leigh Perry is the sixth novel in A Family Skeleton Mystery series. It can be read as a standalone, but you will be missing out some fun adventures with Georgia and Sid. Georgia and the Thackery family are looking forward to a merry holiday season with Sid by their side. This will be the first Christmas they have all been together since Madison learned of Sid’s existence. Then Byron is found with a femur bone in his mouth and it is not one of Sid’s (this time). It seems that Byron stumbled upon a victim who has been dead at least ten years. Georgia would like to sit out this case, but then her friend, Dr. Charles Peyton tells her information that if he shares with the police could get him arrested. Georgia wants to solve the case and clear Charles. Sid is thrilled that Georgia has changed her mind especially since he already has a spreadsheet started. Can Georgia and Sid wrap up this chilly case before the holidays? The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking has such great characters. I just love Sid. He is such a unique character being a walking, talking skeleton. He holds himself together by force of will. I like that the family has outfitted his attic for him. He has a busy online where he takes classes, communicates with friends, plays games, does research, and shops. The mystery was interesting. I like that it is a cold case which is harder for the duo to solve. There is active investigating, good clues and even a twist that some people may not expect. I like that Georgia meets up with Brownie once again. There is only one thing standing in the way of Georgia having a fulfilling relationship with Brownie—Sid. I love the humor in the story that has me laughing frequently. The Thackery’s have a grad student who cannot stop talking about his dissertation or eating all the Thackery’s food. He provided some snarky comments and amusing moments. The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking is a lively tale with staff on strike, a cold case, a previous paramour, an abandoned abode, and happy holiday happenings.
239 reviews6 followers
June 13, 2020
This is a super cute, fun, and slightly wacky paranormal cozy mystery.

Dr. Georgia Thackery is an adjunct college professor living with her professor parents and teenage daughter. Sid lives in their attic. Sid is a literal skeleton (how he's animated no one knows), who loves online gaming, spreadsheets, and investigating murders. Clearly he can't easily wander around town any day but Halloween, but his skeleton can disassemble for convenient investigating. His skull and hand, for instance, can be carried in a bag so that he can attend interviews, etc., and text questions to Georgia. Or otherwise be of assistance..."People swear by their cup holders, but there’s nothing as convenient as having a disembodied skeletal hand help hold your food while you’re driving."

The Thackery's and Sid are preparing for Christmas when their dog gets out of their yard and returns with a femur. Planning to apologize profusely to Sid, who they assume must be missing a femur, they're surprised to learn all his bones are accounted for. A call to the police and another search with the dog leads to a long buried dead body. One of Georgia's colleagues could be implicated in the murder so Georgia and Sid are on the case.

The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking is part of a series. This book can be read as a standalone, but I would recommend reading the series in order. #cozymystery #paranormalcozymystery
Profile Image for Craig.
4,802 reviews103 followers
January 5, 2020
This is the sixth book in the Family Skeleton series, and may be the best one yet. It's a very clever, layered mystery, and the ending really surprised me, which doesn't happen too often anymore. It's set during the Christmas season, and has a happy, feel-good atmosphere without being sappy. Georgia is living at home with her parents again after the end of the previous volume, and her interplay with friends and family is quite amusing and entertaining.
Profile Image for Jeanie.
1,173 reviews1 follower
September 24, 2019
Love, love, love this series! There is something about having a skeleton for a best friend that sounds strange to some, but it sounds purely delightful to me! Especially when this skeleton enjoys celebrating with dance parties! This cozy mystery hits the ground running from the start and doesn’t let up until the last page.

Byron, teenage Madison’s dog, accidentally gets out of the house; when Georgia comes home from work, they search for the dog. Madison finally finds him, and he comes bearing a surprise. Georgia recognizes it as a femur, a human leg bone. Madison is worried that Byron has capitalized on one of Sid’s fears and taken one of his bones.

Sid is the family skeleton and Georgia’s childhood best friend. He lives in the attic at the Thackery home where her parents, tenured professors at a local University, have lived for decades. Dr. Georgia Thackery, an adjunct (think temporary) professor at another local university, and her teenage daughter Madison live with them when she has a local position.

Being with the vocal and ambulatory Sid is one of the benefits of being at the Thackery home, especially since Georgia has this avocation of trying to solve the murders of people she or her loved ones find. Sid is an expert researcher, spending endless hours online to help find clues and backgrounds when he isn’t reading or gaming. Byron’s find did not come from Sid, and Georgia was forced to contact the Pennyroyal police. Her sister Deborah is dating Louis, one of the investigators involved in most of the major crimes. They look to Byron to lead them back to where he found the bone. Sadly, it is part of a skeleton buried on some land from which the home was torn down years earlier.

Not only is this case as cold as a New England winter, there isn’t even a way to identify the remains other than that it is a murdered young woman. There are no missing person reports for the estimated time. One of Georgia’s co-workers has a clue to the person’s identity, but if he goes to the police, he could be the likely suspect.

This mystery sends Georgia and Sid, and ex-boyfriend Brownie who wants to be part of Georgia’s life on a merry romp through Pennyroyal and the surrounding areas and the campus where Georgia is currently teaching. Sid finds amazing clues with the little information they have, but they still seem to run up against a brick wall. This armchair sleuth wasn’t able to come up with the solution, whether motive or o suspect, so I simply went along for the ride. Plot twists and turns, Christmas preparations, and dance parties kept the story moving at a fast pace. Needless to say, there were surprises to be had at the end – and completely wonderful, delightful twists! I highly recommend this to those who love well-crafted cozy mysteries, romance, unusual partners in sleuthing, and a touch of romance. Don’t miss it!

From a thankful heart: I received a copy of this from the publisher through NetGalley, and this is my honest review.
1,265 reviews25 followers
August 17, 2019
The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking is a cute cozy mystery. It is well written and has great characters. I can't wait to read more by this author.
Profile Image for Jerri Cachero.
574 reviews49 followers
April 20, 2022
Leigh Perry has given Sid the Skeleton fans a wonderful Christmas gift!

The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking finds Georgia, Madison, Sid and Byron, living with her parents while she is an adjunct professor at Bostock College. When Byron finds a bone, that doesn't belong to Sid, the mystery leads to a decade old murder and may implicate Georgia's dear friend, Professor Charles Peyton, in the crime. Georgia and the crew work to solve the mystery and celebrate the Christmas season!

I loved this book! While the story is mystery driven, the reader is given a more in-depth look into the characters lives. I enjoyed seeing more of Georgia's parents, her sister Dana and their life at home as well as Georgia's colleagues. It was fun to see Sid interacting with the entire Thackery family which gave the book a holiday feel as we see Sid doing his Christmas shopping, dancing with Georgia and Madison, singing carols and decorating! The story involving Charles was touching and bittersweet. I always wanted to know more about his life. Georgia's ex-boyfriend, Brownie, brings a perfect balance. of romance and mystery into the story.

The mystery was fast-paced and, as always, the dialogue was witty. This is one of a few cozy mysteries that has made me tear up, gasp and shout with joy all at the same time! The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking is a wonderful Christmas gift!

I received an ARC from NetGalley for a fair and honest review of this book.
Profile Image for Kim.
868 reviews8 followers
February 17, 2020
It’s Christmas time but the merriment is interrupted when the Thackery’s dog Byron goes missing. When Byron is found he has a human bone in his mouth. Georgie and Madison go to apologize to Sid for Byron taking one of his bones. Sid’s skeleton is intact, so who does the bone belong?

This is book 6 but my first book in the series. I had this series on my TBR list for a while. I have been hearing good things from my fellow cozy mystery friends. I was not disappointed. I was able to enjoy this as a stand-alone mystery. I definitely look forward to reading the previous books in the series to learn more about Sid and the Thackery family. This a fun humorous cozy mystery. The characters are enjoyable and entertaining. The mystery moves at a quick steady pace with several twists and turns to keep the reader engaged in the story. I recommend this book to cozy mystery fans.

I voluntarily agreed to read a copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own and in no way have been influenced by anyone.
Profile Image for Stacy.
1,562 reviews
November 5, 2019
I tried really hard to put off reading this book until Christmas but just couldn't. It's one of my favorite cozy series and spending time with Sid and company was still a treat. It's the holidays and everyone is looking forward to celebrating. When their dog Byron brings home a bone and they are reassured that it's not one of Sid's they focus quickly changes to determining who it belongs to. When the remains of a young womans body are found and their is a link to one of Georgia's friends, Georgia and Sid throw themselves into investigating.
558 reviews11 followers
July 28, 2019
An interesting cozy mystery, with also has Christmas theme. The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking has an intriguing family member that helps solve murders. You'll find this family very interesting. An enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Valerie.
580 reviews6 followers
July 26, 2019
I really liked this new book in the series, it's better than the last one I think. The story is tight, the characters enjoyable and the investigating seamless. I liked that the storyline is intricate. The ending was a surprise as well as the "epilogue". #TheSkeletonStuffsAStocking #NetGalley
Profile Image for OpenBookSociety.com .
3,808 reviews116 followers

ISBN 9781635766479
leighperryauthor.com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

Synopsis:

Dr. Georgia Thackery is back at home with her parents after finding a new adjunct position at Bostock College. Everyone is excited for their first family Christmas with nothing to hide. Why? Because Georgia’s daughter Madison is now in the know about Sid, their walking, talking family skeleton.

But their Christmas cheer is interrupted when the Thackerys’ dog Byron goes missing on a cold December night. When he’s finally found, he has a femur clutched between his jaws, and Georgia and Madison race to apologize to Sid for letting the dog gnaw on him yet again.

Except that all of Sid’s bones are present and accounted for.

This bone is from somebody else, and when they trace Byron’s trail to an overgrown lot nearby, they find the rest of the skeleton. It’s the normal kind, not moving or telling jokes, and when the police come to take charge, they’re sure it was murder.

And one of Georgia’s adjunct friends could be implicated.

With tensions stirring at the college and everyone hiding a secret or two, Sid and Georgia must uncover the truth before the ghost of a Christmas past strikes again. (From Amazon)

Review:

This series just keeps getting better! I look forward to each new novel in the Family Skeleton Mystery series, and this one does not disappoint. The characters are extremely well-defined, the setting of a college town in New England is perfect, and the strike of tenured professors couldn’t be at a worse time. The author shares the plight of adjunct professors and I confess to not even knowing what an adjunct was prior to this series. The mystery is hard to solve. Okay, it was one that only Sid could figure out.

Sid is the family skeleton. He and the Thackery family first met at the Fenton Family Festival when Georgia was a girl. To Georgia, now an adjunct professor at Bostock University, and her sister Deborah, growing up in a home with a walking, talking skeleton was normal. As an adult, Deborah doesn’t see Sid very often. Georgia, as a single mother to Madison, now a teen, didn’t see Sid very much either until a couple years ago. Madison now knows about Sid, and they are friends and online gaming buddies. Sid and Georgia have been involved in solving several mysteries in the past few years, murders that Georgia tends to be part of through friends or acquaintances.

Georgia arrives home from a day of classes to find Madison going to look for her Akita, Byron. They are currently living with her parents, both tenured professors at nearby McQuaid, and one of the grad students mentored by her parents left the front door open, so Byron took a walk. Madison finds Byron, and Byron brings a new treasure. Georgia identifies it as a human femur, and Madison is very worried that it belongs to Sid, despite being covered with dirt.

Sid is intact when they return, however, so Georgia calls the police. Sergeant Louis Raymond, one of the guys Deborah is currently dating, Georgia and Byron go to see if their dog will lead them to where he found the bone. Byron led them to a vacant, overgrown lot and the rest of the skeleton.

As more is learned about the skeleton, it cannot be matched up with any missing persons reports of the estimated time of burial. The woman it belonged to was murdered, but that is the only certainty. The property where her remains were found is where the old Nichols house once stood. It was demoed about ten years ago after the last owner died and the heirs emptied it.

As talks of striking escalate and adjuncts are deciding whether to cross a picket line to teach their own classes, fellow adjunct and friend Charles Peyton asked Georgia about the skeleton. He believes the young woman was someone he met when he was squatting at the old house ten years ago; she disappeared without a trace after they learned the home would be torn down. He can’t go to the police, as he was the only person who was with her for the month they were in the house together. Why was Charles squatting in the vacant house and Georgia and her daughter living with her parents? That is how poorly most adjuncts are paid, and they lack any bennies like paid time off or health insurance.

The characters are charming with few exceptions and three-dimensional. Georgia and Sid are my favorites, and the dapper Charles has also become a favorite. Seeing Charles grieve the loss of the woman from the past – the young woman he called Rose – was heartbreaking, especially since Georgia never heard of him dating anyone.

This cold case is quite the challenge to solve, especially since Charles never knew Rose’s real name. He knew only that she was afraid of someone and hiding. Solving this takes Georgia back to Fenton’s, where she runs into a fellow adjunct she had dated briefly not long ago, Dr. Brownie Mannix, and to Deborah, who was called into the Nichols house as a locksmith to get into many of the antique locks and lockboxes. It even leads to Bostock, from where students and custodians and helped clean out the old home and take antiques to the museum on campus. Sid and Georgia are stymied, which rarely occurs. The strikers, threatening violence, are out on campus, and Brownie disappears. The end is full of surprises and bad guys that I could not have anticipated! I highly recommend this hard-to-solve cozy mystery, and the series! It is the best, and most compelling one to date!

*OBS would like to thank the publisher for supplying a free copy of this title in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Penny.
2,046 reviews38 followers
September 21, 2019
Wow. I am at a loss for words for this sixth book in the Family Skeleton cozy paranormal mystery series. Before I address the reason for that, this book starts with Georgia’s dog finding a femur. And, of course, poor Georgia is drawn into yet another mystery which she finally admits she does like to solve. We see Charles in this one as one of the main characters in the mystery, and I just love him. There are also a few other characters, and I admit that I hope they all stick around as they are so much fun. Add to that the interesting mystery and the twists and turns which made this an excellent addition to the series. This is your typical fun, light-hearted, cozy mystery, just what you’d expect in a great one. Now, back to the “wow” moment. The end just blew me away for a two reasons I can’t talk about or I’ll spoil the whole book. I am so glad they both happened, and for one I’d like to say it’s about time. I loved this book, and if you love paranormal cozies, you need to give this one a try. Highly recommend! I was provided a copy which I voluntarily reviewed.
Profile Image for Ann.
5,073 reviews59 followers
November 24, 2019
I enjoy this fun and light hearted cozy series. This is book 6 in the Family Skeleton Mystery series and it's holiday themed. Georgia's dog comes home with a bone and she and the family assume it's Sid's. It's not and when the dog leads them back to the grave he found it the rest of the bones are there. The police want her help and between her job as adjunct professor at Bostock College and being single mom to Madison she's stretched to the limit. Also Sid is obsessed with finding the correct Christmas gift for everyone and is burning up the internet shopping. This can be read as a stand alone but it would help if you have some background to Sid's presence and ability to move around with Georgia from previous books. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
3,196 reviews46 followers
January 9, 2021
An enjoyable mystery. I love the family and friendship dynamics in this series. It is also interesting to see into the not so glamourous academic life.

The only paranormal thing about this series is that there is a walking, thinking and talking skeleton who is a main character in the series. There are no ghosts, witches, or magic. It leads to some interesting events that both can help and hinder their investigations. So it is and isn't a paranormal mystery.

I've liked the series enough that I've bought every one of them and I don't do that for many series now-a-days.
Profile Image for Patty.
1,553 reviews1 follower
September 23, 2019
The Skeleton Stuffs a Stocking by Leigh Perry is the 4th book in A Family Skeleton Mystery series, and another great addition. I loved this book/series and Sid the skeleton makes the story, not only is he unique, but he also adds humor. Dr. Georgia Thackery is a professor who lives with her daughter, Madison. Georgia and Madison are living with her parents, while she teaches at Bostock College. When Madison's dog, Byron, finds a human bone, that does not belong to Sid, the mystery begins. I love all the twists and turns in this book, and it kept me reading page after page. What a perfect Christmas book to get you in the mood. I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes a fun cozy mystery

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Diversion Books . Thank you.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 131 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.